Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been prepping for a number of events, but my biggest concerns are losing the grid and water supplies... Anyway I have been looking a regular foods that I can "convert" to shelf stable medium term food reserves. Most of the family thinks that dad's a half bubble off plumb anyway so no big deal.

On my son's last visit he stumbled upon my low-wattage emergency electric appliances, you know the stuff that you could power off a small generator or 1500 watt inverter. He was not pleased! Dad, why do you have all this crap, you don't NEED any of it!

Anyway here is my list of low wattage electrical cooking appliances: Am I missing something?

Hot Plate (2 burner)
Pancake Griddle
Waffle Iron
Fry Daddy deep fryer
Small Air Frier
Small electric skillet
Small insulated electric crock pot
Small insta-pot
Small toaster oven
Small Microwave
Small coffee pot (I don't drink coffee but Hot water is good).

So there is my list, what would you add?

Am I off Plumb?

I have my solar panels started, I have a medium sized battery bank operational, I have the inverter running every day (it powers my growing station lights).
Good work.

I would add an Asian style Rice Cooker.

1675030668581.png

If you are storing rice, they are a good appliance (set and forget and the simplest and lowest energy way to cook rice).

There are lots of recipes on youtube etc for rice cookers.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/rice-cooker-recipes/

We found a couple of slow cooker heating elements at second hand stores and every time we stop at them I look for them to buy, they are only 200 watts but can cook a lot of things, they will boil water which we have used to heat a bath as well. The element base can take a lot of different kinds of sauce pans or even a small fry pan, sad to say we haven't seen elements like the two we have for a long time. They are excellent for solar systems because they draw so little current.

I have been prepping for a number of events, but my biggest concerns are losing the grid and water supplies... Anyway I have been looking a regular foods that I can "convert" to shelf stable medium term food reserves. Most of the family thinks that dad's a half bubble off plumb anyway so no big deal.

On my son's last visit he stumbled upon my low-wattage emergency electric appliances, you know the stuff that you could power off a small generator or 1500 watt inverter. He was not pleased! Dad, why do you have all this crap, you don't NEED any of it!

Anyway here is my list of low wattage electrical cooking appliances: Am I missing something?

Hot Plate (2 burner)
Pancake Griddle
Waffle Iron
Fry Daddy deep fryer
Small Air Frier
Small electric skillet
Small insulated electric crock pot
Small insta-pot
Small toaster oven
Small Microwave
Small coffee pot (I don't drink coffee but Hot water is good).

So there is my list, what would you add?

Am I off Plumb?

I have my solar panels started, I have a medium sized battery bank operational, I have the inverter running every day (it powers my growing station lights).

I wouldn't say "off plumb", but at least half of the things on your list could be served by a butane or propane stove or a Dutch oven, none of which require any electricity. It would appear that everything on your list is used for cooking. JMHO, but I would use what electricity you had for much more important things.

I wouldn't say "off plumb", but at least half of the things on your list could be served by a butane or propane stove or a Dutch oven, none of which require any electricity. It would appear that everything on your list is used for cooking. JMHO, but I would use what electricity you had for much more important things.
If someone has solar or some other form of renewable electric power generation, then cooking (in a very severe crisis) with electric makes sense (more so than burning anything irreplaceable like propane). Electric is silent, low odor and can be done in a locked down building.

My preps include cooking with wood fire, electric and propane. Each option has strengths and weaknesses.

RV and boating cooking systems can also be good cooking preps. I have a 12V DC oven that draws 10 amps. It is designed for use on boats (where propane is considered less safe).

Travel Buddy Marine 2.jpg

If SHTF, I 'm not eating raw squirrels! You're just thinking of all the clean up😉😃

If SHTF, I 'm not eating raw squirrels! You're just thinking of all the clean up😉😃

If you ate raw squirrels anytime the clean up would be far worse after you ate them than before. :barf:

Just sayin' ;)

I was looking to find power outage data for the US and was saddened as they lump it all together, so the worst states are only showing about 8 1/2 hours of power outages per year, but they count all the outages and all the people (even without outages) and divide.... I know that we have lots of tiny outages (1-3 hours) and about twice a year we get one that lasts a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

My planning scenarios revolve around different Energy Sources and Uses

Energy sources:

Electricity (Grid/No Grid: Solar/No Solar: Battery Storage)
Natural Gas (either yes or no)
Propane (you have what you have on hand, I'm limited to 3 tanks)
Gasoline (Storage: Gas Cans and Vehicle tanks. Can be used to provide electricity using a generator and cooking heat using a camp stove)
Wood (wood burning stove for heat and cooking)

Energy Needs/Uses:
Cooking
Hot Water (sanitation)
Heating/Cooling
Communications
Light
Medical Equipment

Every Energy Source requires equipment to make it truly viable and if you look at each energy source and each energy need as a system you can address your needs and develop a detailed scenario for that Pairing:

It is not the only solution, but it is 1 option available when the time comes

Getting wrapped around the axle about what energy source is best is just a waste of our time.

They all have a use and a limit:
Solar does not work worth a crap when it is overcast and raining for a week.
Gas Generators that burn 10 gallons a day don't help after the 5th day, when your tanks run dry and the gas station is without power.
.__________There are also unexpected threats: Around Here (Urban) if you run your generator at night it will most likely be gone in the morning.
A good SHTF plan will have lots of alternatives because when things go south the unexpected happens

When I made my post #3899 I was very specific about the Pairing I was focused on Low wattage Electricity: Cooking
________I really liked @Hardcalibres suggestions for rice cookers and a 12V marine oven:
________I tried to find a source for the marine oven and only found sites servicing Australia, which I thought was strange because they are made in Canada.

I could have just as easily said Propane: Cooking and the list would be completely different (I have one I just didn't post it)

Last edited:
Everybody here knows one of the most important preps is knowing numerous ways to cook food with few resources.

Solar ovens. No tech, no cost and their use is only limited by the weather.

Pit cooking. Basic, primitive, only requires muscle and sweat to get started. Well, a shovel is nice to have but you could use a stick to dig your hole if you had to.

I've never done this but it's always appealed to me. You clear the area of debris to avoid the chance of fire spreading. Dig a hole about 2 feet deep then start a fire in the bottom and let it burn down to coals. Put your food in a Dutch oven and cover the lid with foil to keep dirt from sifting in and set it in the pit. Put some coals on top then fill the pit with the dirt you had shoveled out. You can just tightly wrap your meat and vegetables in foil if you're not cooking it in a liquid.

When my kids were young and we went camping, I did a modified version of this. I baked a lot of our food in the ashes of the campfire.

Underground brisket

Last edited:
Everybody here knows one of the most important preps is knowing numerous ways to cook food with few resources.

Solar ovens. No tech, no cost and their use is only limited by the weather.

Pit cooking. Basic, primitive, only requires muscle and sweat to get started. Well, a shovel is nice to have but you could use a stick to dig your hole if you had to.

When my kids were young and we went camping, I did a modified version of this. I baked a lot of our food in the ashes of the campfire.
We made foil dinners that way, wrapped everything up and put it in the coals until the meat was done... Rare or Burnt, can't tell you because it was dark before it was done....

________I tried to find a source for the marine oven and only found sites servicing Australia, which I thought was strange because they are made in Canada.

Try ebay (but you will probably need to buy one and have it shipped from Australia).

Also there are other brands that technically do the same thing, but I don't have knowledge of their performance/quality (eg Road Chef, San Hima, Kings, Kickass, Road Pro).

The Travel Buddy was the original product in that market and all the others are the copies.

If you get one, make sure you examine and assess the internal dimensions carefully. All those ovens are small (because anything big will need too much power to run). Make sure that what you buy is big enough for your needs.

There are custom made stainless steel accessories made by others for the Travel Buddy Marine - many of those are worth it due to how they improve the capability and help keep the inside of the unit clean.

When cooking in 12V ovens, the time it takes to heat up the oven and the food to cooking temperature often doubles the cooking time compared to mains/gas ovens.

Ate squirrel a lot growing up. I actually like the flavor more than most other meats. Rabbit is another one I enjoy. I prefer to grill them, but I've had it fried as well. It's better than eating the bugs I've heard that some people are pushing...
I started rabbit hunting by myself at 8. I would shoot them, clean them and mom would cook them for supper. Around here a lot of them are diseased now. They say it is from pesticides. My family won't eat them.

So after this freezing debacle, we decided to build 3 "sheds" at 192 sq feet each (12 ft by 16 ft). Permits are required for 200 sq feet or greater.
One will be a bedroom with a queen murphy bed that doubles as a desk, small area for a mud room/closet, plus a wood stove, couch and TV.
2nd will be a bathroom, tiled out with radiant underlayment (will put the washer dryer in here too)
3rd will be a kitchen/dining area, set up for canning as well.
These 3 will be connected via an overhang but not completely connected ie..share walls.

Root cellar is half dug now. Solar panels should be connected this week. We had to order more parts, nothing was in stock and of course it takes forever to get anything.

These 3 will be connected via an overhang but not completely connected ie..share walls.

Root cellar is half dug now. Solar panels should be connected this week. We had to order more parts, nothing was in stock and of course it takes forever to get anything.

"
You can walk to privies in the rain and never wet yor feet

"

I played Will Parker in a high school musical. I had to ask what that line meant.

Ben

To me, serious prepping (or survivalism) is about being prepared with the capabilities that are required for long term survival through very severe crises.

The first step in getting that prepared is being objective about what that requires and objectively assessing how well prepared you are now.

The first step(s) in failing to get that prepared are to:
1) Subjectively assess you are already well enough prepared - when you are not
2) Imagine up scenarios where what you have will be all that you need - when it is not
3) Ignore human history and adopt normalcy bias that tells you things that severe never happen or will never happen to me. Go further than that and ignore all the signs that things are heading that way every day
4) Assess that someone/something else is going to save you (like a community group or someone you know or some higher being) - when they will not
5) Decide that it is not worth you trying - and while everyone dies sometime, most underestimate how horrible death in a very severe crisis might be
6) Decide that it is not worth anyone trying - based upon the fallacy that preparedness for very severe crises is impossible for all

Like many things in life, failure is easy, success is hard.

That is why the world is full of people who fail and indeed more often then not, fail before they even try.

Most failure occurs inside peoples heads.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

Today was interesting, the wife's O2 Machine got replaced. I know that is not a preparation type thing, but the new machine only draws 260 watts where the old machine drew 450 watts. That changes my backup power requirements a lot, because it is the 800 pound guerrilla in the room needing constant power and back up coverage. Cutting your energy use by 40% is a big prepping deal....

Today was interesting, the wife's O2 Machine got replaced. I know that is not a preparation type thing, but the new machine only draws 260 watts where the old machine drew 450 watts. That changes my backup power requirements a lot, because it is the 800 pound guerrilla in the room needing constant power and back up coverage. Cutting your energy use by 40% is a big prepping deal....
New medical equipment, especially more efficient equipment, is a great prep. Good score.

Far less grand but in the medical realm, I picked up an eye glass repair kit for $10. There should be enough screws, nose pads, and tools for my lifetime,

This afternoon I received the last of my low-wattage cooking kit, wife approved each item, and everything has been shelved until needed. I have some backup solar panels coming soon, they were less than $90/100 watts, significantly less than what I had been paying. I would have gotten more but I have to manage my cash flow....

The food storage is in good shape, but the wife would like for me to get another flat of the small cans of evaporated milk so she can cook in a SHTF event, she plans to incorporate it's use into our regular meals. We have the dried powered milk, but she likes the texture and taste of the evaporated milk better.

I've been busy studying for my paraprofessional exam at work so studying for my ham radio license has tapered off. I've managed to secure a consistent meeting place for our prepper group. Hopefully we can have a bit better attendance. Our meeting last month was comms. Had a great guest speaker and I showed some of my gear.

This afternoon I received the last of my low-wattage cooking kit, wife approved each item, and everything has been shelved until needed. I have some backup solar panels coming soon, they were less than $90/100 watts, significantly less than what I had been paying. I would have gotten more but I have to manage my cash flow....

The food storage is in good shape, but the wife would like for me to get another flat of the small cans of evaporated milk so she can cook in a SHTF event, she plans to incorporate it's use into our regular meals. We have the dried powered milk, but she likes the texture and taste of the evaporated milk better.
Have you tried this product:

https://www.target.com/p/nestle-media-crema-table-cream-7-6oz/-/A-14767742
It is closer to fresh cream than evaporated milk and has higher milk fat content.

Start hoarding Mayo, the everyday stuff has doubled, and the high-class stuff has tripled. Because of eggs, I assume. I ordered eight 30 oz. jugs of cheapest mayo today.

I have 30# (net wt. content) canned tuna & 40# (net wt. content) canned chunk white chicken inbound. First shipment arrived today, Two more boxes at the post office, I asked the route driver to only bring one box a day.

Latest posts

Back