Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another shipment today. Lots of medicine droppers to fit 1oz and 2oz bottles. Even a set of droppers marked in milliliters. Got 2 quality tourniquets, more quick clot wrapping and some disk batteries.

View attachment 105849
Thank you for showing some of your stuff....now I don't feel so wierd stocking our own pharmacy, medical supply store. I just found a box underneath some stuff with multiple debriedment kits, suture kits, wound closure kits, stockinet in various sizes
and 20 scapels.

Greenhouse going up this week. We're finally drying out here and snow melted. Just finished 8 days on service and only have 6 days to get stuff done.
Hope you're taking pictures. It might not feel like it from your end, but it sure seems like you 2 are making great strides each time we hear from you 😍

Hope you're taking pictures. It might not feel like it from your end, but it sure seems like you 2 are making great strides each time we hear from you 😍
Thanks!! Yeah I have some pics, slow to upload though. We just got notification that our starlink internet is ready now though, so we should have some better internet soon and I can upload easier. I used to do it at work, but its been busy :D Hope you guys are doing well, any update on your property search?

Hopefully you have nice dry weather all week!!
30% chance of snow tonight, it's cloudy and cold right now. I'm still holed up doing taxes. Haha
I'm hoping it warms up tomorrow. Yesterday we hit 60 degrees, it was glorious!

Thanks!! Yeah I have some pics, slow to upload though. We just got notification that our starlink internet is ready now though, so we should have some better internet soon and I can upload easier. I used to do it at work, but its been busy :D Hope you guys are doing well, any update on your property search?
Still looking - market is pretty stagnant in the areas we are looking. Too bad we don't want a 12 bedroom, $5 mil. party pad - we'd have more options 😂

$85! No way. Go directly to Backwoods Home magazine. They sell for Jackie Clay and she earns off that. 24.99 I think I just saw. If you get a chance to go to a preparedness show, she may even be there selling autographed copies. Heck, she’s so nice that I bet if you asked her, she’d sell you an autographed copy and mail it to you, no extra. She has a blog on Backwoods Home and is very good about messages and responding.
I do have that book, by the way. Well worth getting.

Thanks for the info. I order books every 2 or 3 months so I'll make a note of that one. There was one other seller on Ebay that was a little less - around $70. o_O

BTW, I just saw that the strawberry crop in California has been ruined by that awful weather they're suffering through. I just ordered two 4 lb. bags of frozen strawberries that will be delivered with my Walmart order tomorrow morning.

The state grows about half of all the fruits and vegetables produced in the United States, including 91% of U.S. strawberries, according to the Department of Agriculture.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californ...farm-workers-strawberry-prices-194851979.html

Got my universal generator fuel tank today, 7g. Looks well made, all metal, gauge, screen filter, metal drain valve. No time to mess with it today, good monday project.

20230324_Tank 801a.jpg

$85! No way. Go directly to Backwoods Home magazine. They sell for Jackie Clay and she earns off that. 24.99 I think I just saw. If you get a chance to go to a preparedness show, she may even be there selling autographed copies. Heck, she’s so nice that I bet if you asked her, she’d sell you an autographed copy and mail it to you, no extra. She has a blog on Backwoods Home and is very good about messages and responding.
I do have that book, by the way. Well worth getting.
Thanks for posting that. I just ordered the 2 set of the cookbook and canning books together for $40.

My bull has been slaughtered and processed. I have 6 crates of beef. It wasn’t weighed, have to do that when I get it home. I’m going pick it up tomorrow. I went over and paid him tonight, $350 for processing. He did some special work over and above how he usually does things so the money is fair. I just hope his heifers got bred while my bull was over at his house.

If I can keep the freezers running I have all the beef I’ll need for a while. Given the current state of affairs… having this beef is reassuring.

20230324_Calf 38a.jpg
20230324_Calf 45a.jpg

I like Jackie Clay's Canning book and do own it along with the Ball Blue Book and several others. However, if you cannot afford to purchase a canning book or feel your money would be better spent elsewhere, the USDA website has all the information on canning, freezing, dehydrating etc. for free. Easy to print off whatever you want.

Before I bought any books, I made my own book in a large three ring binder with booklets purchased at the local Extension Service office plus clippings from magazines and friend and family recipes. I don't know if the Extension office still has publications available for purchase, but if they do, the price is likely very low. I also took the old family recipes to the Extension office and the home economist reviewed and told me they were okay or where I should make changes. Very helpful. They also do canner pressure gauge testing for around $5 per gauge. It used to be free and I have to go to another county now which is a pain.

Even though I have a Generac generator, I do not like to keep all my meat frozen. I pressure can a lot which makes for years long shelf-stable storage. Also, since it is already cooked in a SHTF situation that would be a big plus. I make sure to have jars and lids available to can up my freezer should it become necessary. Gas stove and two canners should provide all I need to get the job done.

Welp.. After successfully diagnosing from the symptoms / helping Daughter get thru Ciguatera-toxin poisoning (from a Sushi Eel dinner) last week ( o_O ) decided I'm gonna 'take the plunge' again..

AAOS.jpg

...Lined up the 'Re-Cert' classes, and planning to try and make it back to at Least a BLS, if-not ALS, maybe next year (If there's still a 'World left', that is... :rolleyes: I'd Love to finally push for Paramedic, but.. We'll see.. 'Baby steps'. ;)

We got a good tax return. That really wasn't our goal but I had a job change etc. We went a little nuts on Amazon. We purchased some of the things in our wishlist we wanted but hadn't purchased for the whatever reason. We got some first aid, plant books and other stuff.

Last edited:
...Got 2 quality tourniquets...

Outstanding. 'Every little bit counts'.. 👍 If I may kindly suggest, on the TQs (even if these are for 'LTS', since ya just never know when you might need More that you already Have 'at the ready'..) Be sure to 'stage' those, ergo: Unwrap / get them set-up to quick-deploy on someone (or even yourself, ie: in a Range bag, etc) so there's No time lost, if/when ever having to use one.

..and, meantime, can keep them 'wrapped up' with a rubber-band or two, and lash a Sharpie right with it (for the Time of application, etc) so you've Got all you need, right at hand. :cool:

Just my .02 :)
jd

Good for you, Sojer. I ran on a BLS rig for some years, but 30 years ago had had enough and quit and let my license lapse. I want nothing to do with any of it anymore; in fact looking back I'm not sure how I got into it in the first place. I guess because I was on the fire department and just kept going for more training. I don't know how much of that old training might come back if I needed it all of a sudden; hopefully it would if a family member had an issue but for myself I'd rather die than go into the healthcare system in any way.
We do need people who can help in time of need, I'm just not one of them anymore.
That job is also where I learned just how untrustworthy and untruthful and grasping and completely without caring or morals the entire tv/newspaper reporting world is, and I detest them all to this day.

I got about 180lbs of the beef moved. The big 20cuft freezer is stuffed. If I used every sqinch of freezer space left in the 2 others there might be just enough for rest of the meat. But then I'd have no room for summer veggies. Guess I'll go to town monday and get a small freezer.

I got about 180lbs of the beef moved. The big 20cuft freezer is stuffed. If I used every sqinch of freezer space left in the 2 others there might be just enough for rest of the meat. But then I'd have no room for summer veggies. Guess I'll go to town monday and get a small freezer.
Buy a "small" freezer? that's like going into a big box wharehouse supply food store and not taking a cart.....

Last edited:
Welp.. After successfully diagnosing from the symptoms / helping Daughter get thru Ciguatera-toxin poisoning (from a Sushi Eel dinner) last week ( o_O ) decided I'm gonna 'take the plunge' again..

AAOS.jpg

...Lined up the 'Re-Cert' classes, and planning to try and make it back to at Least a BLS, if-not ALS, maybe next year (If there's still a 'World left', that is... :rolleyes: I'd Love to finally push for Paramedic, but.. We'll see.. 'Baby steps'. ;)
Good for you knowing what to do when.
Long ago I helped my wife study for her ACLS, something like that for advanced cardiac. She worked as a RN in a rural tiny hopital and the one doc was 20 minutes away at his horse ranch so she was it. Since we lived out in the woods off a accident prone road we also carried IV solutin and a bunch of "extra" stuff in our car.
When things happen you are the first responder.

...more CAT tourniquets. ...Israeli bandages.
Fwiw, I have often found Great pricing (and, almost-Always the Best Selection / options..) at 'RE': https://www.rescue-essentials.com/components-1/ :cool: And, just like everywhere Else - 'shop around' - look for deals / close-outs, etc, and Buy Components, not 'kits' (exponentially more expensive, and Easy to DIY, once you peruse what they Put in them..)

Also, 'MSM'... https://www.mountainside-medical.com/collections/iv-irrigation ...for IV / IV-start sets / Injectables (simple Saline, Epinephrine, Lidocaine (though now ya gotta be a Doc/RN or EMS (or have a friend / fammy-member order as-such do it for ya) to order Lido or Epi.. :rolleyes: But, overall, Better assortment of Kit, therein, and lower-Pricing than most others out there, IME.. YMMV. :)

jd

Good for you knowing what to do when.
Yep, EMS .edu is Always a great investment in the 'First Bank of Peace of Mind.' :cool:

..Also allows for Excellent 'Ops to be a Smartass to yer Kids':

GB-1.jpg
GB-2.jpg

..Inscription reads: 'To [Daughter] for a Particularly Meritorius Conquest of Food Poisoning' 🤓 (and the "simbarf" is just a bit of some old 'silly-putty' I had saved for making 'key impressions' to DIY-copy them, etc, with some colored-paper chips pressed in as the 'leftovers'.. I Knew I had saved that putty for a Good Reason! 😂

She LOL'd. :D

jd

This week I received the small air-conditioner I ordered and I ordered a 15 amp transfer switch. I plan to set it up to use my battery power when the solar is working and then automatically switch to the grid. This will give me a space where I can keep the wife cool even if we have a power outage.

I remember when my grandfather got "old" he had a heck of a time staying warm. Now as my wife is getting old (health wise) she is having trouble dealing with any temperature swing... She can handle a little cold (down to 64F) but she does not handle heat very well at all (at 74F she has breathing problems and it takes hours for her to recover. She is most comfortable between 67 and 69F which will be hard to maintain in this old house.

With our spiking power bills (rates just went up 20%), I think it will be less expensive to cool a small space for her and let the rest of the house drift higher this summer.

My bull has been slaughtered and processed. I have 6 crates of beef. It wasn’t weighed, have to do that when I get it home. I’m going pick it up tomorrow. I went over and paid him tonight, $350 for processing. He did some special work over and above how he usually does things so the money is fair. I just hope his heifers got bred while my bull was over at his house.

If I can keep the freezers running I have all the beef I’ll need for a while. Given the current state of affairs… having this beef is reassuring.

View attachment 105937View attachment 105938

Thats not a bad price for processing. We are about to take 3 lambs and a goat to the processor but it cost $150 each ( but USDA inspected so we can sell it)
I am almost done rotating freezers to defrost them and we now have 2 open ones
If you were closer, I would trade you some lamb or goat for some of this beef ! The beef I can't seem to replace well with goat or lamb is bottom round steak for stir fry , but I buy some from the meat processor directly they have cows too

Latest posts

Back