Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep 2 packs of each type of battery we need around here in a metal tin inside a metal wardrobe. We keep the batteries for the sights for the weapons in a metal box inside the gun safe. I figure it could help ( with luck) against emp wiping them out so we could still use them

Certain of our blankets and heavy coats do better with dry cleaning. When they come back from the cleaners they are in a clear plastic bag with breathing panels. Spare blankets, pillows, towels, etc. are put into these bags and placed under the bed for long term storage.

I keep 2 packs of each type of battery we need around here in a metal tin inside a metal wardrobe. We keep the batteries for the sights for the weapons in a metal box inside the gun safe. I figure it could help ( with luck) against emp wiping them out so we could still use them

Batteries are vulernable to EMP? I bought a bunch of rechargables for Christmas since hubs got a bunch of new trail cams and they each take 8 AA's. I guess I'd better put a few packages in the metal trash can in the basement.
Actually now that I think about it......I vaguely recall that EMP could affect batteries. I think it's one of those things I knew at one time and forgot about.:ghostly:
Anyways, thanks for the reminder.

NO! batteries are not sensitive to EMP.
In the lithium batteries the charge circuitry is sensitive to the E1 pulse of an HEMP but not a solar EMP.

In the lithium batteries the charge circuitry is sensitive to the E1 pulse of an HEMP but not a solar EMP.
Are you referring to the battery charger or circuitry inside the battery?

Picked up a new pitchfork and a few cans of the worlds most expensive 40-1 mixed fuel and normal fuel (TRU FUEL)at SEARS on closeout sale. SEARS only has one more week here so I'll pick up whatever is left next week and an exercise climbing machine as long as it's still around. Each week the price has dropped for closeout. We may even pick up a couple lawn mowers, the one at BOL is kaput and the one here is on it's last legs. Looking at some hand tools also.

Are you referring to the battery charger or circuitry inside the battery?

The circuitry inside the battery is what I was addressing but the chargers would also be affected by the E1 pulse of an HEMP.
All unprotected electronics will be affected by the E1 pulse of an HEMP.

I got a e-mail saying that my water storage will be arriving on Friday this week.

Time to climb under the house and make a level pad for it, get rid of any stones and lay down some sand.

I'm going to be dosing the water with 4 ltrs of plain bleach to get rid of any plastic taint and letting that
water sit in the bladder for over 2 weeks before draining it and filling it with fresh.

I got a e-mail saying that my water storage will be arriving on Friday this week.

Time to climb under the house and make a level pad for it, get rid of any stones and lay down some sand.

I'm going to be dosing the water with 4 ltrs of plain bleach to get rid of any plastic taint and letting that
water sit in the bladder for over 2 weeks before draining it and filling it with fresh.
Please tell us more. Is this for a rain catchment system? How many gallons will it hold? Interesting and a smart idea.

My water storage turned up today 4 days early!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact I can get a 50+kg package sent from Melbourne all the way up the Eastern coast of a vast country like Australia to me up here in the north in under 4 days BUT a single envelope of seeds takes 2 and a half weeks!

Crazy stuff.

I haven't even started levelling out the pad for it under the house.
Best get busy.

So. Its good to be ready for anything. hemp is just as likely as anything else.
and I know where they are and won't be looking around for them

I gotta admit, I've been really lax in this area lately. I've stocked up a few grocery items and propane, but other than that, I have really let this area go lately.:( Maybe it's the weather OR I'm feeling pretty confident, which I know is the kiss of death (so to speak).

Someone post on this thread of what you're doing so that you can motivate me!:p:D I need a kick in the pants!

How about a home made paddle instead? Lol.

Ive gotten some large carrots from a food pantry for canning. Did my primary shopping on the 7th got ground beef and chili mix for canning chili.a 24 pack of quilted northern ultra soft toilet paper.got 5 small ribeye steaks in vacum sealed bags.thinking of labeling them to hang onto for the time being.

I gotta admit, I've been really lax in this area lately. I've stocked up a few grocery items and propane, but other than that, I have really let this area go lately.:( Maybe it's the weather OR I'm feeling pretty confident, which I know is the kiss of death (so to speak).

Someone post on this thread of what you're doing so that you can motivate me!:p:D I need a kick in the pants!

If it makes you feel better I still haven't set up my solar power system OR my 2 000ltr water storage under the house yet.
It's taken a while to dag myself back into the game after all the stress of dealing with the car, Centerlink and my computer dying.

Yeah it's weird how that works.i probally can get a package from the east or west coast in 2 days.and here i am.in the middle of the 2.but it'll take 3 days for letter from the gulf coast to get to me.which is a 3 hour drive to it from where i am.
I had a repair part sent from Florida to Seattle overnight. It took the hospital shipping and receiving department 2 days to get it from the loading dock to the 4th floor. They would not look for it or let me look for it. Even a call from the department manager did not speed it up. X-Ray machine was down for an extra 2 days.
The loading dock people were all union and they did as they pleased. When outsourcing and layoffs started they were one of the first departments gone.

I hate dealing with anything Union. It slows down work and ends up protecting people who are too lazy to do their part and puinshes those who want to do the right thing.

I picked up a year or so supply of TP, several boxes of noodles, and a bunch of other stuff. Been working on my grape vines, ordering garden seed, and planning where to plant a dozen or so berry plants I bought last year. And trying to keep up at work.

I ordered online a book called "where there is no doctor" . I have the one by the same authors where there is no dentist and like how they have simple pictures explaining tools, procedures, and all that. Can never have too many references regarding this stuff..I also ordered officer of the watch book by one of our own here..Im sure its a good read!

Thanks everyone! You helped:)

I spent a few hours today organizing some stuff. I am way heavy in medical supplies....no surprise there. What I really need to do is deep clean the pantry and plan my meals around stuff that is getting dated. I don't have many plans for the next couple of weeks on meals anyways so I think next week I'll start going thru and organizing my regular use pantry. It's already fairly organized, but a quick spiff up is in order.

I also found some empty ammo cans. :eek: I guess I'll need to fill those!

I need to sit down and start a list of the things I want to get accomplished in 2019. I'm a list person so I need to get things written down so I can focus my energy. I think I'm just getting the winter blahs. Spring time is usually so busy that keeping to a list is nearly impossible. So many things to plant and plan!!!!

I ordered online a book called "where there is no doctor" . I have the one by the same authors where there is no dentist and like how they have simple pictures explaining tools, procedures, and all that. Can never have too many references regarding this stuff..I also ordered officer of the watch book by one of our own here..Im sure its a good read!

I'm pretty sure I have that book in my library. Geeseh.....yeah, now I remember that I have to organize my library! I need to get a good shelving unit for my books. Anyways, from what I can recall the "where there is no doctor" book is pretty pricy and hard to find.

Thanks everyone! You helped:)

I spent a few hours today organizing some stuff. I am way heavy in medical supplies....no surprise there. What I really need to do is deep clean the pantry and plan my meals around stuff that is getting dated. I don't have many plans for the next couple of weeks on meals anyways so I think next week I'll start going thru and organizing my regular use pantry. It's already fairly organized, but a quick spiff up is in order.

I also found some empty ammo cans. :eek: I guess I'll need to fill those!

I need to sit down and start a list of the things I want to get accomplished in 2019. I'm a list person so I need to get things written down so I can focus my energy. I think I'm just getting the winter blahs. Spring time is usually so busy that keeping to a list is nearly impossible. So many things to plant and plan!!!!
Don't we all go through times when we are not paying as close attention to organization and what we have?

I am thinking we will be having another government shut-down and who knows how long it will last? I am wanting to do a new inventory of my pantry, short term and long term. From there, I can plan meals and see what I need relative to what I have and what meals I want to make.

I have that book on my computer.
I can try uploading them is anyone is interested.

Don't we all go through times when we are not paying as close attention to organization and what we have?

I am thinking we will be having another government shut-down and who knows how long it will last? I am wanting to do a new inventory of my pantry, short term and long term. From there, I can plan meals and see what I need relative to what I have and what meals I want to make.
Doing that tomorrow, because need to update chest freezer list.
Need to clean out from under bathroom vanity and fill first aid and first responder kits.

I am working on inventorying my Bug Out Bag(s). Except, there is no way it is one bag. Sleep gear: tarp, sleeping bag, emergency blanket, in a duffel bag. I have to figure out about getting it all together, all in one place, and more organized and with a concise inventory of what is in each bag. I do have a backpacking backpack that may be where the shelter stuff ends up.

I have had bags put together for years. I realize I need to know what I have and what I don't have, to fill in the gaps and to update some of the stuff, especially the food items. When I find a good list, I may start a thread about Bug out Bags.

Latest posts

Back