Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tank-Girl I think I would have let them starve personally. The situation does bring up a good point though which is why had the family not tried the preps out previously and incorporated them into their everyday meals as we do here. As most experts and medical practitioners will tell you is a sudden change of diet can cause significant health issues such as diahorrea and others. I would also say that his family have been indulged over the years too with somewhat of an entitlement mentality and there are many around like that.

We incorporate our preps into meals here all the time so when or if a SHTF scenario happens we will carry on as usual.

Last edited:
Since I last posted we have added -

- 2 bottles of shampoo and conditioner to our preps.
- 3.82 kg of mince @$5.24 per kg to the freezer. We are keeping a closer eye out for meat on clearance at good prices since the price of beef mince went up $2 per kg in the shops and beef sausages went up $1.50 kg due to the drought and floods killing a lot of the cattle and a lot of farmers destocking with not having enough water for them.
- 2 old unbendable road pick heads, a trench shovel, a post hole crow bar, a gardening fork head and 14 galvanised pipe joiners all for $60 from a clearance yard sale. We will buy the handles for all our tools in early March when we go into town.

... his second wife and his step daughter refused point blank to eat the preps he had put aside for grid down emergency...He says he was forced to drive to the next town lunch and dinner and wait in line for over 30 mins to get served at fast food places like McDonalds for the whole time the power was out....

Forced? He wasn't forced, he chose to do so. You don't like what's on the table? Fine, you are excused. You do realize your next meal will be the leftovers from this meal?

His lack of a backbone could explain the "second wife".

I just finished watching a chap on YT lament that his second wife and his step daughter refused point blank to eat the preps he had put aside for grid down emergency.
In his case it was a snow storm that took out power for 4+ days.
The preps/food was good. He even had Mountain House meals which they refused to eat.
He says he was forced to drive to the next town lunch and dinner and wait in line for over
30 mins to get served at fast food places like McDonalds for the whole time the power was out.

I think I'd be pretty steamed and while I guess people have preferences I'm just struck by sheer selfishness.
Maybe I'm odd.

Would you or someone else have a link to that?

I found it!

I just watched the video again, with some interruptions, so I will probably watch it again! I think this guy has the best of intentions and knows to prep. He is trying to do it on the cheap. Who isn't? I think that what happened to him was the best thing that could have happened. He needed a wake up call that his preps are inadequate.

I think prepping is a journey, not a destination. No one is there and no one is done.

From photos, it appears he has lots of food, but does he have ingredients that his family currently eats? I think you can have lots of canned goods, but do they work to make meals that you currently eat?

Two is one and one is none. I could tell him and anyone, Sterno will not be adequate for cooking food. I think we all know that much.

Anyone ever cook on a camp stove, the Coleman type? I can tell, from experience, that a camp stove is woefully inadequate as well. It takes a very long time to heat food and water. It can be done, but not like our kitchen stoves will. I think if he, or many others, would pick a meal that they already know they will eat, and work to be able to make it from scratch or preps, the kinks will get worked out through trial and error. What comes to mind is pizza.

Today I bought 10lbs of flour and 4lbs of yellow cornmeal that I'll vacuum seal and then put in the freezer.
Also bought 2 boxes of shelf stable whole milk
3lbs of dry great northern beans which I'll vacuum seal
3 packs of Vigo yellow rice
4 boxes of Taster's Choice instant coffee sticks ( 6 in a box)
2 qts of white vinegar
1 jar of wheat germ ( I add it to my pancakes and my yogurt and in muffins)
4 cans of chicken noodle soup
4 cans of tomato soup

I've had a hard time finding wheat germ in the stores lately. I like it for my granola recipe
I found it today at walmart in with the granola

I've never had an issue with cooking or canning on my Coleman stoves. I know the elevation can affect how fast food heats up but we've used the stove from 5 to 10,000ft without issues.

I've been using my Coleman stove and bottled gas for the last 2+ years since I told the gas company to shut off my supply.
I've used it for canning as well even though it's a bit ratty looking, it works perfectly.

I've never had an issue with cooking or canning on my Coleman stoves. I know the elevation can affect how fast food heats up but we've used the stove from 5 to 10,000ft without issues.
At higher elevations water boils at a lower temperature. At sea level water boils at 212℉/100℃.

It might have to do with me using it in the mountains and when it was a little windy.

I've been using my Coleman stove and bottled gas for the last 2+ years since I told the gas company to shut off my supply.
I've used it for canning as well even though it's a bit ratty looking, it works perfectly.

At higher elevations water boils at a lower temperature. At sea level water boils at 212℉/100℃.

I measured my spare room/ storage room for long span warehouse racking.

If I'm going to get shelving I may as well do it properly.
I've found a few on-line sites that sell them and they have huge sales with 80% off with free delivery a couple of times a year.
All I have to do is wait for them to go on sale.

I measured my spare room/ storage room for long span warehouse racking.

If I'm going to get shelving I may as well do it properly.
I've found a few on-line sites that sell them and they have huge sales with 80% off with free delivery a couple of times a year.
All I have to do is wait for them to go on sale.
This is where you tell us those sites so we can also watch :)

Been a while since I updated in here.

Since last post we have added -
- 2 good conditioned vintage strong as road pick heads, a trench shovel with handle, a garden fork head and a post hole crow bar which we honed to the gardening shed. Handles are coming in the budget :) .
- a 30 mt roll of flyscreen, now all the damaged flyscreens are fixed.
- 4 kg of chicken drumsticks.
- 6 x Old El Paso burrito kits.
- Sugar baby watermelon and rockmelon seeds saved from produce given to us by our neighbour.

@Tank-Girl facebook users were announcing the Woolworths were having a half price special on online orders (delivery or pickup ($30 or more)) on their brand and value brand and some name brand products starting midnight tonight and extending into tomorrow too. Only catch is they are not sure whether it is just their Maryborough store though from what I read on Yahoo Mail as I am not a member of Facebook. I will be checking it out and will top on a few things we need for groceries if that is the case.

Also pharmacy online are having a 10 % off their prices online on online orders with free delivery on orders of $149 using code YAY10 . Compare prices with what you can get locally as not all of their products are cheap.

Last edited:
Been a while since I updated in here.

Since last post we have added -
- 2 good conditioned vintage strong as road pick heads, a trench shovel with handle, a garden fork head and a post hole crow bar which we honed to the gardening shed. Handles are coming in the budget :) .
- a 30 mt roll of flyscreen, now all the damaged flyscreens are fixed.
- 4 kg of chicken drumsticks.
- 6 x Old El Paso burrito kits.
- Sugar baby watermelon and rockmelon seeds saved from produce given to us by our neighbour.

@Tank-Girl facebook users were announcing the Woolworths were having a half price special on online orders (delivery or pickup ($30 or more)) on their brand and value brand and some name brand products starting midnight tonight and extending into tomorrow too. Only catch is they are not sure whether it is just their Maryborough store though from what I read on Yahoo Mail as I am not a member of Facebook. I will be checking it out and will top on a few things we need for groceries if that is the case.

Also pharmacy online are having a 10 % off their prices online on online orders with free delivery on orders of $149 using code YAY10 . Compare prices with what you can get locally as not all of their products are cheap.

Thank you SC.
I'm not on fascist book either.
Unfortunately my pension isn't due until next week and
I have the whole amount minus rent ear tagged for two truckloads of compost.
I appreciate you thinking of me though.

It's been awhile since I've updated any preps as we have been super busy on the farm the past few months. We recently moved our son, dil, and 3 gks to the farm. They are staying in a camper near the house while we build them a timber frame home. We recently had some goat babies, our sow gave us 6 piglets 2 days ago and all are doing great. We expect 2 more does to give us more babies, and our female gp will be delivering babies around april 14th. The garden prep is coming along and will be doubled in size to allow us to put up more veggies this year.

Latest posts

Back