Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby found and bought lumber for the metal roof we plan on putting on the house come springtime. Its going on over the original shingle roof so we needed the wood

Forgot about the wheel barrows leaning against one of the sheds and the wind gusts here turned them over so I took both down to the lean-to where the tractor is kept

Checking circulars and making a list to stock up on baking supplies and a couple of splurges for the holidays for us

Hello everyone :) .

More prepping and food supplies purchased today.

We purchased 8 more strawberry plants for $9 from another local nursery and planted them in the gardens saving $24.20 on usual prices around our town and an dwarf imperial mandarin tree saving another $5 on the usual prices here. Also picked up 2 boneless pork shoulder roasts @$5.99 a kilo saving in total $6.87, they are usually anywhere from $8 - $12 per kilo here.

DH will be on another purchasing mission tomorrow with other specials we have seen on other needed items in the home.

With big expected price rises next year on most things we are picking up specials to stock up most food and other items needed in the home before then.

@timmie glad to see you found us all over here and welcome, you slipped in under my radar until I just saw you post :D . That is a good price for tarps too.

Last edited:

We purchased 8 more strawberry plants for $9 from another local nursery and planted them in the gardens saving $24.20 on usual prices around our town and an dwarf imperial mandarin tree saving another $5 on the usual prices here. Also picked up 2 boneless pork shoulder roasts @$5.99 a kilo saving in total $6.87, they are usually anywhere from $8 - $12 per kilo here.

DH will be on another purchasing mission tomorrow with other specials we have seen on other needed items in the home.

With big expected price rises next year on most things we are picking up specials to stock up most food and other items needed in the home before then.

@timmie glad to see you found us all over here and welcome, you slipped in under my radar until I just saw you post :D . That is a good price for tarps too.

I see the storm coming SC as well and I'm in a mad dash to stock up on essentials even at current prices before it breaks.

Every Christmas I try to include useful tools and small preps to the family's stockings. Last year all stocking stuffers were EDC items. This year I am fill gaps in the girls' go-bags and EDC for the adults. I got a pink and a purple bandana for the girls, credit card sized multi tools for the adults (I'm hoping my folks get the hints), tick keys for everyone, compressed towels and washcloths for the girls, pink and purple clips for the girls, freeze dried fruit and ice cream for the girls, and travel sized sunblock and much more I can't remember right now.

Hello everyone and I hope your preps are coming along well :presents: .

Today we purchased 6 months supply of toilet paper for the two of us which was on super special at IGA for 24 rolls of 3 ply for $5.99 usually we pay $8 for the same amount, not a huge saving but it helps when you are on lower income pensions like we are.

@Tank-Girl if you have an IGA near you they have their pork boneless rolled shoulder roasts at $5.99kg and 24pks (180 sheets per roll) of 3ply toilet paper for $5.99 (works out at .1386c per 100 sheets) also. Thought when I see specials that are cheap in our area I would pass it on :D .

Last edited:
Today we picked up our 10 x 10 litre storage buckets we had purchased from the courier depot as we were not home when they tried to deliver them today and also picked up a litre bottle of vodka to make some pure vanilla extract from vanilla beans gifted to us. Also managed to pick up some underwear on special and a new popcorn making machine as ours bit the dust after 12 years.

We also harvested all of our garlic and have them curing on screens in the garage and harvested all of our spring onions which we will chop up for freezer stocks of onions and a couple of capsicums that we will also chop up for the freezer.

Went to Cabellas.:eyeballs: I could get into soooo much trouble in there. Got hubby a Liberty safe to mount under the seat in his jeep and a new game camera for the other place. Really, really wanted a cast iron roasting pan but the kid wouldn't let me. "MOM! We are here for dad. Not cast iron". Stupid me for taking the kid....:angie:

I ordered some more upgraded firing pins for my AR15s.
I have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of hard primer ammo.
"Enhanced" firing pins greatly improve reliability in my rifles.
Picked up extras to make sure every AR in my fleet runs them now.

I see the storm coming SC as well and I'm in a mad dash to stock up on essentials even at current prices before it breaks.

We stocked up a little too. Nothing much to stick back just to eat awhile.

bought 4 heavy duty tarps.10x20. got them for 20. each . retail 49.95

Great buy on that, you can always use tarp.

Feels good to buy plants at a good price, and that sounds like a bargain.

Bought some more battery adapters, they convert AA batteries to C size batteries. I had never heard of them before but they come in different sizes (AAA to AA, AA to C, & AA to D), are cheap, work well, & are a perfect prep. We go through a lot of AA size batteries with the toys so we buy them in huge quantities & always have them. Other sizes are not as plentiful at our house. Here's a link to them if there happens to be anyone else that's interested. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BOX86HU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone and I hope your preps are coming along well :) .

Today we went a bit wild in the Boxing Day sales which happen almost every year here as DH & I were so far over our projected savings for the year we save this money up until the sales are on and buy what we need for household and personal items.

We purchased -
- 6 Egyptian cotton bath towels, 6 hand towels, and 6 bath mats saving $48 on usual prices. Our towels are now 10 years old and we are starting to see daylight through them so we will use the ones we have until they are unserviceable and replace them with these ones and we intend each time we see towels at such reduced prices to buy more to stock up on.
- 2 s/s egg whisks, 1 large and one smaller Pyrex measuring bowls, 2 large s/s mixing bowls, 1 set of s/s measuring cups saving $8.30 on usual prices.
- at usual prices 6 pair of cotton underwear, 5 pairs of cushioned cotton sports socks and a pair of sandals at 50% off saving $10.
- and 4 DVD movies saving $12 on usual prices.

Last night we purchased online -
- 5 sets of 500 tc Egyptian cotton sheet sets.
- 2 years worth of underwear for me.
- About 3 years worth of terry cotton tea towels.
- A years worth of cushioned sports socks for me.
- A couple of years supply of Q-tips and cotton makeup removal pads for our stockpile.

We are building up all of our stocks before we purchase land and build our home and have a mortgage so we fairly much will not have to buy anything and can pay the mortgage off in double time.

got a question about freezer bags. when you buy them ,do you leave them in the box and stored them or do you take them out and store them in a bucket ?

I just leave them in the box they came in.

Added a fresh supply of honey. 30lbs each. They should last me 3-4 years. :)

P1030171.JPG

got a question about freezer bags. when you buy them ,do you leave them in the box and stored them or do you take them out and store them in a bucket ?
timmie, I am not sure I really understand your question. I leave the freezer bags in the box they came in until I fill them. When they are filled, I put them in the freezer, or other spot where they go.

just thinking about the space the box takes up. seems to me you could store a lot more if you take them out and put them in a bucket. like gallons in one and quarts in another.
timmie, I am not sure I really understand your question. I leave the freezer bags in the box they came in until I fill them. When they are filled, I put them in the freezer, or other spot where they go.

just thinking about the space the box takes up. seems to me you could store a lot more if you take them out and put them in a bucket. like gallons in one and quarts in another.

My freezer bags (Zip-Loc) are pretty tightly packed. I doubt that I'd save much space. I take one box out of the case and put it in the kitchen. When the case is empty, or close, I look for the next sale. I also believe that leaving them in the box is more sanitary.

In to the New Year with a bang and in the wee hours of this morning ordered 12 - 14mths of our medical supplies from a discount online chemist who has low prices anyway compared to what we can purchase here but they also had an additional new year special of a further 10% off voucher as well.

So here is what we ordered and we saved $166.91 over the usual prices we pay in our local chemists here -
- 14 months of iron tablets for me as I am anaemic (runs in the family).
- 12 - 18 months worth of antiseptic cream for our medical kits.
- 6 months worth of Arnica cream for DH's back and joint pain and inflammation bringing us to 18 months worth in stock.
- 6 months worth of calcium tablets for DH that he takes this with Magnesium tablets to stop muscle spasms. This builds us up to 14 months supply.
- Echinacea and zinc tablets to last the year or more for colds and flu.
- Around 14 months worth of vitamin c tablets from eBay which will bring us to 18 months supply.

Also just did a kitchen pantry inventory and made out our perpetual shopping list for the 9th of January 6 weekly shop.

@Tank-Girl if you need vitamins etc we buy them off https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/ and they have 10% off their usually low prices using this code NYNY18 . They have lots of other things on their for your med kit if you need it too. Just do a price check on what you can get locally as not all of their products are cheaper so it pays to compare prices.

Also one seller on Ebay has 400 vitamin c tablets for $9.95 ea which is way cheaper than our area so just do a search to find them if you need them.

Last edited:
@UncleJoe if you lived near us we could have supplied you as we have 10 bee hives in our backyard and get honey free for having the hives here as payment :D . Bit of a long swim to Australia though and by the way your honey is cheaper than what we can buy per kg in our local supermarkets as well but if we took in currency conversion rates that would make your honey cost around $9.75kg.

Latest posts

Back