Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some silicone muffin cups. I used them to freeze some eggs. Worked great. They popped right out so I could vacuum seal them. Since eggs are on sale now for Easter I plan on freezing multiple dozens of eggs. I should buy another pack of 12 cups so I can double the amount I freeze at a time

Are you going to be off-grid?

No. The solar is grid tied but we also have a battery back up. There's been a few times where storms, fire and accidents have taken out power poles and since we are in the middle of the forest we aren't top priority for power restoration. The tanks we use for emergency water for the livestock. And us if necessary.

Yesterday I wandered the ammo isle at WM. I found some pretty good deals. I bought the last bucket on the shelf of Remington 22's for way cheaper than I have seen it before at $62. I also bought a 500 round brick of 9mm and a pack of Thunderbolt 22's for plinking. I really wasn't planning on getting any ammo, but I've never seen it in bulk packages at WM before and had some extra cash in the wallet, so I bit the bullet.:p WM had some clearance deals on ammo that I don't use, so keep an eye out if your looking to stock up your ammo.

I also bought a dwarf and self polinating cherry tree along 4 blueberry bushes. We got home and put em' in the ground. I'm not a green thumb kind of person, so I hope they do well. Hubs put a fense around the cherry tree to protect it from critters. Also stocked up on some plumbing supplies and some lumber for future projects. Then I stocked up on a few dry goods from WM while hubs ordered a new pair of spare glasses. Then I picked up a small composter at Aldi.....snagged the last one on the shelf. Overall, a pretty good day.:D

Last edited:
Yesterday I wandered the ammo isle at WM. I found some pretty good deals. I bought .... a pack of Thunderbolt 22's for plinking.

If you have time and remember please let us (me) know how the Thunderbolt ammo worked for you. Thunderbolt was the only brand I could find during the Obama scares. Thunderbolt doesn't like my rifle or my rifle doesn't like Thunderbolt, I'm not sure which.

If you have time and remember please let us (me) know how the Thunderbolt ammo worked for you. Thunderbolt was the only brand I could find during the Obama scares. Thunderbolt doesn't like my rifle or my rifle doesn't like Thunderbolt, I'm not sure which.

Very inexpensive for a reason. It's what I use when I have friends who want to learn to shoot. It's not particularly accurate, and my average rate of misfire between all my firearms is probably 5%...but new folks are trying to hit the paper, not lay shots within a quarter.

Picked up a Heritage .22 revolver with the extra magnum cylinder. Also picked up a pocket shot sling shot with ammo and an extra pouch. I'm ending this years experiment with my grow tower. It didn't perform well. It needs more light than what I was able to provide so we ordered the actual light assy. that is for it. Sold our old motorhome and got it out of our yard. The folks got a good deal on it and we made some cash. We have our new one so it was redundant. Started to fuel our boat and load it up for our first trip on Mothers Day. Costco run went well we always find extra but it's all a prep to me as long as we can eat it.

I picked up 3 Augason farms 48 hour 4 person emergency food buckets. I can add to the food to make them even better. ( dried fruit to the pancake batter and oatmeal, canned chicken to the chicken flavored rice,etc)

First time ever they had anything like that in store at our walmart. Wish they'd get more in. Buckets of wheat and freeze dried foods would be great lol

I picked up 3 Augason farms 48 hour 4 person emergency food buckets. I can add to the food to make them even better. ( dried fruit to the pancake batter and oatmeal, canned chicken to the chicken flavored rice,etc)

First time ever they had anything like that in store at our walmart. Wish they'd get more in. Buckets of wheat and freeze dried foods would be great lol
Walmart sells them on their website. Free home or site to store shipping.

Walmart sells them on their website. Free home or site to store shipping.
I checked and it was 2 day shipping. No free anything

i got 2 of these full of bottled water the other day.the totes will be for everyday storage once emptied of the bottled water.i also ended up 2 empty totes as well.haven't decided what to store in them for yet.

0423191018.jpg 0423191019.jpg

I had actually gotten pretty comfortable with my preps in the past couple years. So, instead of survival stuff (food, water, etc.) for TEOTWAWKI EMP (which is what got me started), I started focusing on mere economic collapse and family financial security (PMs, savings). But, I watched a water purification video on youtube, and I ended up lying in bed thinking through what if scenarios.

For water purity, I already had several different types of filters and purification equipment...all commercially ready stuff (e.g., Berkey, LifeStraw, etc.). If there is a way to purify water, I've looked into it.

Anyway, I decided that having an additional way to filter is not a bad thing. I went to Walmart, and bought some water filtration and water collection supplies. Instead of the commercial products, I decided to pick up some of the build-it-yourself supplies: activated charcoal, filtration sand, filtration pebbles, cotton filters. I'm also thinking about picking up some zeosand, and storing it in a bucket, and forgetting about it. The zeosand filters out much smaller particles than regular pool filter sand

Zeosand? Is that the same filter media used in water softeners?

Do they use sand in water softeners?

It is an artificial sand. Each particle has more surface area, and less sand filters the same amount of water, and filters smaller particles than regular sand. It is made for pool filters, but it occurred to me that it would be a great drinking water filter medium.

Zeosand? Is that the same filter media used in water softeners?
Almost all water softeners have no filter at all. The water passes through a resin that absorbs the hardness from the water and releases a like amount of salt. The original bed in water softeners was zeolites.
Iron filters are actual filters but come in many forms.

I bought another 5lbs of flour to put in the freezer then vacuum seal. With the flooding out west I'm trying to think of what crops will be lost. I know corn,wheat and beef are some but not what else.
With all of the rain everywhere potato crops aren't being put in right now. Some out west are months behind so I figure to start adding those when on sale and the commercially canned type to the storage. I should also add more canned tropical fruits too since hubby likes them as dessert. We live in orchard country so apples, peaches, cherries and pears are no problem in obtaining

Bought some more dried milk to dry can. And the 50 lbs of onions to dehydrate. But first I need to get a ton of mushrooms washed, sliced and in the dehydrator, and then two bags of hot peppers done to make more pepper powder. Our freezers are all filled to the brim. I even put almost 60 lbs of chicken in the preschool freezer. So I'm not buying meat for awhile.

I picked up two kiwi plants today and hope to have them planted on the fence line tomorrow. Along with the orchard and berries I'm getting pretty well set on various fruit for long term. Yes, these are supposed to survive our winters. The greenhouse I picked them up from has had one outside for 15 years.

Latest posts

Back