Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I freeze them whole out of the shell. I use silicone muffin cups to put them in ( I put the silicone cups in a metal muffin tin to hold them steady) and I freeze them until hard then I pop them out and vacuum seal them with my foodsaver sealer.
You can fry them up like a regular egg but the whites are more "runny" than usual. You can bake with them and use them for scrambled,etc.
You can't use them for hard boiled of course
Thanks. I will give it a go

pickled eggs are a favourite in the UK, hard boiled, shelled then bottled with vinegar.

I prefer using beet juice, sugar and vinegar with mine. I also add some onion and garlic along with some whole cloves. Growing up my dad liked his the same way but with some greens added ( spinach or collard or dandelion,etc).
Theres all kinds of recipes for making pickled eggs but I like the beet ones best

I used to add the beet juice and the beets. The pickled beets went as fast as the eggs. I'd put a date on the jar when they could be eaten and about five minutes after that time they started disappearing.

Whether it is put up in cans, jars, or those soft mylar packets it is all referred to as canning. My eggs will last...come to think about it I don't have a clue how long my pickled eggs will last as they get eaten too quickly. Never considered it canning as the jars are never sealed. Much like kraut, you can, can it or just keep it in a cool place.

All beef is high in price here.
I don't understand how ground beef ( 80/20) can be $4.99 ( or higher) a pound :eek: Its HAMBURGER for goodness sakes!!!!
And forget about a steak of any kind and any size
The only beef I find is worth the money is a chuck roast because you can get so many meals out of one
We've been forced to have beef ( any beef) as an " occasion" since it costs so much
We eat more pork than anything and with the news about pigs/hogs dieing off in other countries I'm inclined to think it will go up in price here also
Chicken is high in price if you get anything other than legs or thighs. Those go on sale for .88 lb. Once in a while a store will have whole chickens for .99 lb but usually they're at least $1.99- $2.99 lb

Its going to get real crazy soon trying to live within our budget with the way food prices are going up
There was a BIG storm that took out bridges and created lots of flooding in the Plains states a few months ago. More than a million cattle died. Farmers can't get in their fields. Places like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, and Wyoming have lower populations of humans, but much of the beef in America comes from those states.

There was a BIG storm that took out bridges and created lots of flooding in the Plains states a few months ago. More than a million cattle died. Farmers can't get in their fields. Places like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, and Wyoming have lower populations of humans, but much of the beef in America comes from those states.

Yea I know. But beef has been high in price here for about 3-4 years now ( so no flooding but I'm sure theres some excuse to gouge us I just don't remember what it was)

When I go to Sam's club next month I plan on biting the bullet and buying some chuck roast and ground beef ( and maybe some stew beef). I also plan on stocking up on veggies once I see what they have.

Yea I know. But beef has been high in price here for about 3-4 years now ( so no flooding but I'm sure theres some excuse to gouge us I just don't remember what it was)

When I go to Sam's club next month I plan on biting the bullet and buying some chuck roast and ground beef ( and maybe some stew beef). I also plan on stocking up on veggies once I see what they have.
Beef has been high ever since there was a BIG blizzard a few years ago and that took out a large amount of cattle as well!

Same here so I stocked up on some. We dig pig in this house lol Always have
I also added another 2lbs of oats. Quick oats this time because I have some breakfast "mug" recipes that use it in the ingredients

In the last week we topped up our mouth wash to a years worth and also moisturiser for a year too on half price specials.

We also found hotdog buns & cheese & bacon rolls and wholemeal bread on 58% off specials and purchased 3 x 6 pk hotdog buns, 2 x 6pk cheese and bacon rolls, 1 x 2 pk cheese and bacon sticks, a loaf of wholemeal bread and naughty of me my favourite cream buns. They were cheaper than I can make them here so I pick them up when I see them at a good price rather than cooking them.

Today we found capsicums on clearance for $2 kg and purchased 4 large bags giving us near on 2 kg worth and chopped them and portioned them into 9 bags for the freezer for future meals.

I've just been adding to my dried herbs and picking up oats when I go to the store. I diced my 3 green peppers that I grew and froze those for the winter
I plan on buying more cornmeal,butter(to freeze) and I need to get to the farm market

Today I found some lovely curtain fabric online for the rumpus room downstairs and purchased it on half price special for $50 and with delivery saved $28.08 on usual prices. Being able to make curtains for 2 windows and a double sliding door would have cost me around $200 of more to buy in the shops.

We got 5 bags popcorn at the dollar tree. also got {FREE} 7 cans black beans - 5 cans chickpeas-5 bags yellow lentils {not sure about these. we have never eaten them.} Also got a couple boxes ritz crackers and wheat thins. Will be vacuum sealing them.:woo hoo:

We have now finished filling the vegetable gardens with amended soil and built the shade enclosure over the top. Today we cut the drip irrigation hose to size for all 10 garden beds. Next week I think we will hopefully have all our garden beds up and running ready to plant in.

Today we also saved more money into our high interest savings account from our pay rises today and plan to do this each time we get a pay rise unless inflation beats us on grocery and other costs. Not easy paying a mortgage and saving too but we are determined.

Added some to the stocking up
soap
shampoo
canned soups
storage/organizing containers
some new kitchen towels ( mine are getting thread bare)
coarse kosher salt
2 rounds of salt
aluminum foil ( heavy duty)
canned fruit
canned veggies

-Set up the water so it is running in all 10 garden beds and just need to put the heavy duty chicken wire up from the roof down to the ground and they will be ready to plant.
- Around a fortnight ago I paid an extra month of mortgage payments from a bonus pay I had and purchased curtain rods, curtain rod holders and end caps for the back rumpus room.
- We purchased 4 more 5 shelf food storage shelving units for the food storage room to increase our storage.
- Yesterday we topped up on 6 more tins of long life meat and vegetables for the food storage room.
- A few weeks ago I topped up on a years supply of toothpaste for both DH and I and a years worth of mouthwash too on half price special.

We got our new upright freezer today. It is the largest the wife could find with an exterior gauge. One of the baskets from the old freezer goes in perfectly and will slide in and out. The other old basket will go in on the bottom but is too tight to slide but it will help keep stuff from falling out. The old dead freezer went out next to the shed for storing fertiliser, old pots, and small garden implements.

We got our new upright freezer today. It is the largest the wife could find with an exterior gauge. One of the baskets from the old freezer goes in perfectly and will slide in and out. The other old basket will go in on the bottom but is too tight to slide but it will help keep stuff from falling out. The old dead freezer went out next to the shed for storing fertiliser, old pots, and small garden implements.
Not for a gun safe?

What did I do in relationship to preps? I conducted an experiment this afternoon.

15 years ago the wife decided she would exercise by walking 3 miles every day. Since most of our road has woods on both sides and the wife "knows" there are spooks waiting for her in those woods, I'm drafted to walk with her as acting bodyguard. Wearing tennis shoes and walking at her pace it took one hour. The daily walked last until first snow and then never resumed.

Today. Wife's car is at the mechanic so she's using my truck. Mechanic called, her car is done and ready to be picked up. Instead of her driving pass the mechanic shop to pick me up and then driving back, I decided to conduct a Bug Out experiment.

3.1 miles to the mechanic's shop. Temperature is in the middle seventy's, cloudy and a nice breeze. I'm wearing my normal work boots. I decided to walk to get her car. Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes. Right hip had a slight compliant, it may have been because I was carrying a compact pistol in my right rear pocket. Ball of my right foot was debating on if it should start a blister (wear thicker socks next time).

IF I had been carrying a 10 to 20 pound backpack, I figure I'm good for 10 to 15 miles a day. Not too bad for a old cowboy. Not too good if I had a long distance to Bug Out too.

Latest posts

Back