Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did I do in relationship to preps? I conducted an experiment this afternoon.

15 years ago the wife decided she would exercise by walking 3 miles every day. Since most of our road has woods on both sides and the wife "knows" there are spooks waiting for her in those woods, I'm drafted to walk with her as acting bodyguard. Wearing tennis shoes and walking at her pace it took one hour. The daily walked last until first snow and then never resumed.

Today. Wife's car is at the mechanic so she's using my truck. Mechanic called, her car is done and ready to be picked up. Instead of her driving pass the mechanic shop to pick me up and then driving back, I decided to conduct a Bug Out experiment.

3.1 miles to the mechanic's shop. Temperature is in the middle seventy's, cloudy and a nice breeze. I'm wearing my normal work boots. I decided to walk to get her car. Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes. Right hip had a slight compliant, it may have been because I was carrying a compact pistol in my right rear pocket. Ball of my right foot was debating on if it should start a blister (wear thicker socks next time).

IF I had been carrying a 10 to 20 pound backpack, I figure I'm good for 10 to 15 miles a day. Not too bad for a old cowboy. Not too good if I had a long distance to Bug Out too.
The three mile walk each day is highly recommended by physicians. I have tried, but I rarely get 3 miles in. My 87 year old aunt and uncle do that and sometimes more each day. No wonder they're still so sharp.

My extra new 500 gallon propane tank was delivered and setup today.

I've mulled over getting a second tank. Presently I rent a 250 gallon. Rent is a $1 a year and I'm locked into buying LP from the LP company that owns the tank. Thought about getting a larger tank but I'm concerned about the 25 year old buried copper line springing a leak the day after the tank is filled. I know they make automatic tank switch overs for recreational vehicles, do they make them for residential LP tanks too? Wonder too if the tank has a pressure sensing valve so if there is a major pipe leak the valve will auto shut off?

The local natural gas utility is talking about running a gas line down our road for the last few years. Hate to buy a second tank just to have the utility run their line the next day.

I've mulled over getting a second tank. Presently I rent a 250 gallon. Rent is a $1 a year and I'm locked into buying LP from the LP company that owns the tank. Thought about getting a larger tank but I'm concerned about the 25 year old buried copper line springing a leak the day after the tank is filled. I know they make automatic tank switch overs for recreational vehicles, do they make them for residential LP tanks too? Wonder too if the tank has a pressure sensing valve so if there is a major pipe leak the valve will auto shut off?

The local natural gas utility is talking about running a gas line down our road for the last few years. Hate to buy a second tank just to have the utility run their line the next day.
If it is a bare copper line I'd replace it after so long. They make a copper tubing that is coated with a plastic and is made for direct burial, yellow for propane and orange for diesel (I think). They are the same except for the identifier colour. The ground acids will work on copper over the years. If you find that you have the coated copper already, then you should be fine.

If it is a bare copper line I'd replace it after so long. They make a copper tubing that is coated with a plastic and is made for direct burial, yellow for propane and orange for diesel (I think). They are the same except for the identifier colour. The ground acids will work on copper over the years. If you find that you have the coated copper already, then you should be fine.

It's bare copper. I know galvanized iron pipe buried in clay soil has a life expectancy of 20 years. Way back I worked for a water utility, replacing rotten galvanized iron with "K" bare copper. Never had a copper line go bad so its life is unknown to me. Hate to fill the LP tank just to have the $500 evaporate into the atmosphere.

It's bare copper. I know galvanized iron pipe buried in clay soil has a life expectancy of 20 years. Way back I worked for a water utility, replacing rotten galvanized iron with "K" bare copper. Never had a copper line go bad so its life is unknown to me. Hate to fill the LP tank just to have the $500 evaporate into the atmosphere.
I never worked with pipe in clay but if the galvanised pipe was replaced after 20 years I'd guess it's time to replace the copper. It is cheaper to do that now than after a leak and doing without propane while the job is underway. If the additional cost of the coated copper matters then I guess that another 20 or 25 years will be enough and you could just put in plain copper.

Been awhile since I've posted, been pretty busy. Took Grandkids on historical vacation. Visiting Great Grandparents and then Gettysburg Pa. Finger Lakes NY, Mount Rushmore and Deadwood SD. Kids need perspective. Don't know which parts they'll remember in years to come. At BOL, stump grinder has worked amazingly. I am so close to having the expanded yard I've been working a decade on. New apple trees, saskatoons and honey berries all doing well. Garden and raised beds were overrun by chickweed by the time we got back, took a lot of work to get everything cleaned up. Won't get much out of garden but used chips from stump grinder work to mulch and it looks nice at least. Updated solar panel and replaced all old batteries with new AGM's. New propane fridge in place, have to tape the lines and drill to put through wall. Had a neighbor on the river pull in and help move fridge and 100 lb propane tank off boat and up the hill into place. Sure made it a lot quicker. I know my river neighbors as well as neighbors here I think.:D. Work on our boardwalk at BOL is proceeding. Should make walking over such rooty ankle bitey terrain a little easier as we get older. I'll update more as I think of it.

Been awhile since I've posted, been pretty busy. Took Grandkids on historical vacation. Visiting Great Grandparents and then Gettysburg Pa. Finger Lakes NY, Mount Rushmore and Deadwood SD. Kids need perspective. Don't know which parts they'll remember in years to come. At BOL, stump grinder has worked amazingly. I am so close to having the expanded yard I've been working a decade on. New apple trees, saskatoons and honey berries all doing well. Garden and raised beds were overrun by chickweed by the time we got back, took a lot of work to get everything cleaned up. Won't get much out of garden but used chips from stump grinder work to mulch and it looks nice at least. Updated solar panel and replaced all old batteries with new AGM's. New propane fridge in place, have to tape the lines and drill to put through wall. Had a neighbor on the river pull in and help move fridge and 100 lb propane tank off boat and up the hill into place. Sure made it a lot quicker. I know my river neighbors as well as neighbors here I think.:D. Work on our boardwalk at BOL is proceeding. Should make walking over such rooty ankle bitey terrain a little easier as we get older. I'll update more as I think of it.
It has been a long time since we have heard from you. You've been getting stuff done!

I am currently updating 2 of my bug out bags, both are going to be smaller and lighter than the old ones, both are also going to be more discreet in appearance. I have been working on them for well over a year now, buying things on sale/clearance, finding freebies, taking courses where you get free gear, emailing and calling businesses for free T&E gear (perk of working in LE), and doing a little trading. I pretty much have everything I want for the bags sans food and water filtration. Although I did recently buy 4 Wise Co. pre-made survival packs so I will be harvesting some of the contents for these bags. I want to buy some ration bars and some newer, smaller, lighter straw filters. Hoping to have them done by mid fall.

I am currently updating 2 of my bug out bags, both are going to be smaller and lighter than the old ones, both are also going to be more discreet in appearance. ...
I have multiple bags, that I call "Get Home Bags" instead of Bug Out Bags...although they can serve the bug out purpose as well, I suppose. I used to have them all ready to go, but I raided them for various purposes. Your post has motivated me (again) to get them restocked and ready again. (As I type about this, I think I may have posted something like this before.)

My plan is to have different bags (had them in the past; need to redo them now):
  • Town Bag - for the trunk 100% of the time, whether commute, errands, whatever, it always stays in my car. This is the stuff I need no matter what.
  • Hot Weather Bag - only in the car during the summer (right now, just sunscreen and wide brim sun hat, but I used to have a change of clothes, as my work clothes are not good for hiking home in the heat...need to get that bag re-done).
  • Cold Weather Bag - only in the care during winter: balaclava, gloves, coat, sweatshirt, cold weather boots, hand warmers.
  • Travel Bag - goes in the car when I leave town...anything more than 20 miles away in summer. Included individual water filters, food, sleeping bag, bivy tent, etc.
  • Danger Bag - This might be the bag which escalates things if I expect danger.
My theory is that I can pull one bag out, and put another bag in...and I can keep track of things better. The hot weather bag might actually fit inside my town bag, but the cold weather bag is just another big bag to go in the trunk.

Also, as you mentioned, I try to take discreetness into consideration: My first GHB was a great camo backpack. But, I decided my town bag should look like a normal backpack used by students to the extent possible, so I swapped that out. My camo pack became my travel bag, as I may be moving off-road if I find myself using that bag, and it is the most comfortable long haul pack I have right now.

Last edited:
I have multiple bags, that I call "Get Home Bags" instead of Bug Out Bags...although they can serve the bug out purpose as well, I suppose. I used to have them all ready to go, but I raided them for various purposes. Your post has motivated me (again) to get them restocked and ready again. (As I type about this, I think I may have posted something like this before.)

I also have a variety of bags for a variety of purposes. My bug out bags are specifically for that; to bug out from home to our bug out location. They are designed under the presumption that we will be walking for 45 miles through varying terrain. Which could take 4-7 days with children and animals.

I also have a short term emergency bag in my bedroom for situations like a house fire or very short term evacuation, a cold weather survival bag, and an active shooter bag. Those bags are vastly different than my primary BOB.

I keep an overnight bag in my car, always ready, besides other bags and gear. This bag gets used more than anything else, and it is a classic overnight looking bag. I am on day 2 of a 3 day house/dog sitting job, back to back with another 3 day house sitting job. In spite of having an overnight bag packed, I classically forget two things: phone charger and pajamas. I just purchased another phone charger this morning, and a spare pair of pajamas is on the list, but I did have pajamas this time.

I have been thinking of changing the overnight bag out to a back pack but keeping it as an overnight bag. If I ever had to evacuate, I would have basic clothing and toiletries for a few days to get by. Other items are in other bags.

I'm not much into the bag business. I do keep two bags in the truck all the time(along with other items) in case we need to get home on foot. Includes water filters.
For a bug out we have the RV that is always ready. My wife could only walk 1 to 2 miles on the flats without a long rest stop.

I keep a GHB in our vehicles all the time. They are set up for a 3 day walk. I work 35 miles from home and figure I can make it in 2 days with out any serious hold ups anywhere. Thanks for the reminder since I always try and replenish perishable supplies after the summer heat.
Keep a BOB set up for us both, plus several totes to grab and go should the need arise.

It has been a long time since we have heard from you. You've been getting stuff done!
yes between vacation and travelling haven't gotten much done on computer. Had a couple great weekend trips after the vacation, wanted to use motorhome for some river kayaking trips. Heading to bol this weekend to get new fridge piped in and grind some stumps and split a little wood. Hopefully I can put the puppy into some grouse.:fun fun:

Just a reminder that there are some preps for health most people don't even think about. Keep a fresh tube of A&D preventative cream (the petroleum jelly type) and a tube of Clotrimazole cream in your preps. The Clotrimazole can be used for more than just jock itch and athletes foot. I use to get ringworm from public pools back in the day and Clotrimazole saved on co-pays for doctor visits. Also if you have ever had a case of Angular cheilitis Clotrimazole is a godsend for helping heal it up. The A&D can be used to prevent further irritation of any of these types of ailments and relieve dry cracked skin on the fly.

Just a reminder that there are some preps for health most people don't even think about. Keep a fresh tube of A&D preventative cream (the petroleum jelly type) and a tube of Clotrimazole cream in your preps. The Clotrimazole can be used for more than just jock itch and athletes foot. I use to get ringworm from public pools back in the day and Clotrimazole saved on co-pays for doctor visits. Also if you have ever had a case of Angular cheilitis Clotrimazole is a godsend for helping heal it up. The A&D can be used to prevent further irritation of any of these types of ailments and relieve dry cracked skin on the fly.

I do prep A&D, something I learned to have around as a parent. ;)

But I will have to look into clotrimazole.

I do prep A&D, something I learned to have around as a parent. ;)

But I will have to look into clotrimazole.

The common name for the Clotrimazole is Lotramin. I have always kept a tube since getting ringworm on my arms from pools.

Also a good thing to have if you are a woman and/or have daughters is a full seven day treatment course of Monistat. The seven day treatment works better than the one day or 3 days. Think of it as the same as taking a full course of antibiotics instead of stopping when the infection clears up.

'nuff said on that.

I am UN-prepping this summer. I had this spring estimated that I could disassemble and retrieve a few dozen of my caches over the course of the summer, but I clearly under estimated the labor required to reverse several decades of caching.

Been stocking up on pastas/noodles, some extra rice, hubby's canned pineapple chunks, my pudding mixes, and I've had to buy more half gallon jars for storage.
Also been dehydrating loads of herbs for storage

Next up is more powdered milk, more oats and some spices that I need more of ( but I'll probably wait until the holidays to get them when they go on sale)

Hubby is the construction supervisor for the local hospital. They've been remodeling and moving the different departments. They just did an Oncology office/department. he tells them they have so many days to move into the new place. then tells them again a week before he will be starting on their old area and to move everything they want to keep. Well he came home with some things yesterday lol So I've added to our supplies:

3 brand new ( in the packaging) digital thermometers
4 brand new tubes of Dermasil body lotion
20 brand new emery boards
2 small bottles of hand sanitizer
4 brand new lipbalms
9 brand new containers of Ice Breakers mints
10 packages of pocket size tissues
2 brand new fleece throws ( they came from drug companies)
3 new totes ( from drug companies)
1 brand new fleece scarf ( from a drug company)
( He also gave a bunch of things away to the guys on his crew. I can't get over why they would leave all this stuff)

On another note I grabbed the last box of egg replacer that was on clearance at walmart
and I bought myself 2 more pairs of sneakers which I will keep back to wear next year or so
Now I'm on the lookout for long sleeved tshirts

Today I got a couple cases of recent production MRE's from an Army National Guard buddy of mine. I also ordered a couple hydration packs for the 2 replacement/upgraded bug out bags I have been working on. At some point I am going to lay everything out on the table and snap a picture.

Latest posts

Back