Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m great guys! How’s everyone doing? I’m staying at home with the kiddo, homeschooling and enjoying the mountains. Not much has changed at all. :) Haven’t popped in in awhile, thought I’d surprise everyone.

Good to hear, sounds like a wonderful life! Also good to see you stopping by. Hopefully you can squeeze us in a bit more often. ;)

What's a good rifle to pistol ammo ratio to have? Realized today we have a 2 (rifle) to 1 (pistol) ratio. I'm think 4:1 might. Be better? What say you?

I still exist in the mindset of 1:1. If we are talking strictly combat-worthy guns, I have one handgun for every long gun. I have seen too many guns fail at the worst possible time to not have a second gun on my person. So I see them in tandems; one AR-15 and one handgun or one shotguns and one handgun.

I still exist in the mindset of 1:1. If we are talking strictly combat-worthy guns, I have one handgun for every long gun. I have seen too many guns fail at the worst possible time to not have a second gun on my person. So I see them in tandems; one AR-15 and one handgun or one shotguns and one handgun.

True. I'm wondering if SHTF and the rifle is primary and the pistol would be for when rifle fails or no time for reload.

True. I'm wondering if SHTF and the rifle is primary and the pistol would be for when rifle fails or no time for reload.

The rifle would definitely be primary. Having a sidearm also allows you to provide a gun to someone who is unarmed for whatever reason.

The house is finally finished having new siding put up (!!) New rail for the ramp is up so thats done. Hubby is now putting screening over the gutters to help keep leaves and pine needles out of them ( hopefully lol)
So hopefully we're set up now for many years to come with the house being weather tight

A preparation wish: Have the hubby move my greenhouse closer to the house ( its near the edge of our property right now)

Bought enough 6 foot fencing to fence in my apple trees, blueberry bushes, and raspberry bushes. I sure hope the elk are content to stay outside the fence but I know they could jump the 6 footer. While we were gone to Colorado the elk pruned my raspberry bushes for me :(

Bought enough 6 foot fencing to fence in my apple trees, blueberry bushes, and raspberry bushes. I sure hope the elk are content to stay outside the fence but I know they could jump the 6 footer. While we were gone to Colorado the elk pruned my raspberry bushes for me :(
I too put in a 6' fence and believe it is too short. I put in 10' fence posts wit 2' buried. I plan to go back, raise the fence 2' and build a raised planter around the orchard.

I had someone come and help themselves to all of the pears on my dwarf pear tree. Yes, it is planted too close to the fence. I think I should let it be a sacrificial tree and plant another pear tree somewhere else on my property, like I have done with my peach tree. But reading this, maybe I need a different fence!

Order a new knife and a whetstone to test out for my camping trip on Thursday with my kiddo. Pretty miffed after moving for the hundredth time, all my camping gear is now missing. gaah:mad: So over it!

And this is why I tell my wife that I don't want to move out until I am moving to the crematorium.

And this is why I tell my wife that I don't want to move out until I am moving to the crematorium.

Smart man! I've got at least two more moves under my belt within the next three years so I'm not even going to try and replace stuff until we're finally settled. Borrowing all the big stuff for now. Considering hiking the Appalachian soon though so might divulge in a new backpack and tent. Not sure yet. o_O

Smart man! I've got at least two more moves under my belt within the next three years so I'm not even going to try and replace stuff until we're finally settled. Borrowing all the big stuff for now. Considering hiking the Appalachian soon though so might divulge in a new backpack and tent. Not sure yet. o_O

Which direction are you thinking about hiking the AT? Made plans yet? That trail is on my bucket list.

Which direction are you thinking about hiking the AT? Made plans yet? That trail is on my bucket list.
I live in PA so I'll probably start at the Maryland/PA border at Pen Mar and head north. No bigger plans as of yet. I wish I could do a thru-hike considering the distance I'd have to travel to get to the trail in the first place, but family obligations will keep me coming back to finish the trail through PA. Ultimate goal is to hike the whole trail. That'll take me a couple decades. ;)

I received one of these solar dryers today that I had ordered. Haven't tried it yet and it might be awhile. It is big- about 5' high and 2' in diameter.
3.jpg

Today I brought 4 5kgs boxes of laundry powder for $9 each.

I also brought a pair of spare reading glasses that are slightly stronger than my current prescription pair.
I want to stock up on these in a range of strengths because glasses break and eyes deteriorate over time.
Glasses can be an expensive item to replace and they are a necessity. Something that really needs to be prepped for.

I just received and put away 6 Wise food company buckets from the 'Good Deals' thread. I also just purchased a few cases of Datrex ration bars. I needed some for my new 72 hour bags that I am working on, and for my vehicle kits, but also for my preps. They have a short shelf life however I just sold off my 5 cases of Mainstay bars which have been sitting for 4 years and decided to replace them with Datrex, which is a bit healthier more natural option. Now I need to rotate some of my water storage.

Wise Food Storage Turns Over Purchase Records To Government As Part Of Shocking Class-Action Lawsuit

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wise...-to-government-in-class-action-lawsuit_032019

https://www.familysurvivalplanning.com/food-shelf-life-questions.html

For those that want their money back.

Wise Company named in class action lawsuit alleging the company falsely advertises its long term emergency food supplies

https://www.gotaclassaction.com/att...les-of-its-long-term-emergency-food-supplies/

Wise Food Storage Turns Over Purchase Records To Government As Part Of Shocking Class-Action Lawsuit

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/wise...-to-government-in-class-action-lawsuit_032019

https://www.familysurvivalplanning.com/food-shelf-life-questions.html

For those that want their money back.

Wise Company named in class action lawsuit alleging the company falsely advertises its long term emergency food supplies

https://www.gotaclassaction.com/att...les-of-its-long-term-emergency-food-supplies/

And this is why I bought mine from Woot/Amazon. ;)

i just hope that you like the taste of salt..lol

I do actually! Plus none of these dehydrated meals taste great to me. I consider them to be like hamburger helper, sure you can eat 'em on their own but they are much better as the base for something you create yourself.

Order a new knife and a whetstone to test out for my camping trip on Thursday with my kiddo. Pretty miffed after moving for the hundredth time, all my camping gear is now missing. gaah:mad: So over it!
I'm with you. When things get moved, they go missing. Getting organized and staying organized seems to be impossible sometimes. I have a notebook where I kept many notes about what I have and where. Can't find the notebook!

Back