Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume that was silver and not gold...

Hubby has been working on being able to keep the generator warm when the temps drop so it will start if needed. The heating element he had on it stopped working. Have no idea if he's succeeded. lol haven't asked.

Had his cataract fixed so he can see from both eyes

Oh thank you AH.
I looked up a picture and they sound and look delicious. I'll have to try them.

I'm moving away from getting any more electric appliances unless it's a phone or a laptop hence the reason why I don’t buy an electric toaster.
I saw a robust fold out camp toaster that can be put over a camp fire or camp stove on a 4×4 camping store online.
It has to be either cast iron or stainless steel because galvanized metal and aluminum gives off some pretty noxious fumes when it's heated.
I have used a cast iron pan and laid the bread flat but the bread dries out before it browns and I end up with a crispy crouton that shatters
when I try to butter it.
Who thought toast would be an issue.
I make toast in cast iron skillet.
Butter both sides of bread before you place in hot skillet.
No more crunchy crouton.

Hubby has been working on being able to keep the generator warm when the temps drop so it will start if needed. The heating element he had on it stopped working. Have no idea if he's succeeded. lol haven't asked.

Had his cataract fixed so he can see from both eyes

:great:,WVLady good for him, hoping thats what mine is too and have appt. in 3 weeks to see,pun intended. :thumbs:.

I've had to change my prepping purchase plans slightly in the face of a new situation.

I finally found 60 cm flight cages on ebay for a reasonable price and I had to move quickly if I wanted them.
I managed to purchase 8.
The flight cages once the perches are taken out make the perfect indoor guinea pig cages as they have extremely good air flow,
have a mesh floor and a plastic slide out tray to catch the droppings.
With this revolting heat I have lost one of my females to heat stroke so I've had to move them inside into tubs
which isn't ideal.

The roof rack system and the kayak are still part of my purchase plans but they've been pushed back in the hierarchy of needs.

Just been cleaning up the storage area and rotating things

Found a jar of jelly behind some jars of dried beans. Its 10 years old! lol
Wonder if its any good?
Haven't opened it yet to check. I figure as long as theres no mold or other "hairy" looking things it might be good

We have some snow, sleet and then ice coming in late tonight very early tomorrow morning and lasting all day.
I popped into the grocery store to pick up one of their pre-made pizzas for tomorrow nights supper. They're pretty good but I like to add fresh grated parmesan and oregano and red pepper flakes to it to make it even better lol
Anyways, before I even parked and got in the store I saw 5 different people loaded down with water in their carts.
I'm thinking why don't you have water stored already?
This always happens around here when a storm is coming. Just like they run out and but toilet paper. You don't already have some?
Its not like they won't be able to get out on the roads the following day unless its a major blizzard.
This mind set always amazes me. I just don't get it

Okay my "rant" is over lol

From diverting the down pipes from the back patio into our collapsible rainwater tank we now have 1100 more litres of water plus another close to 300 litres we saved in tubs from runoff from the rainwater tank shed too :) . Best of all the collapsible rainwater tank being full is we now have our summer pool to go for a dip in when it is hot.

More rain expected later in the week here too and our 3 large rainwater tanks holding 1100 gallons are now all full and overflowing too and our back property boundary creek is full of running water too.

We have worked out that 5000 gallons of water will last us over 2 years too.

Preparedness amongst the general populous is non existent I have noticed too @WVDragonlady.

There was a news segment on about the bush fires in New South Wales and people were lined up around the block to get groceries and major highways were closed for 10 - 12 days and the supermarkets could not be restocked either. It made me think about how many people only have a few days of food in their homes at any one time.

It made me think about how many people only have a few days of food in their homes at any one time.

Most people here have their groceries delivered (or scheduled for pick up) every 2-4 weeks. We have ours delivered more often because of the large size of our family. But that tells me around here most people are sitting on at least 2-4 weeks worth of food. Then again around here preparedness is just the way most people live. I rarely go to anyone's home where they don't have extra propane tanks, a deep freeze, and a large pantry.

Arrrrhhhhhhhh!

Why! WHY must things break and need to be replaced when I've made plans for those funds?

My whipper snipper broke and the parts to fix it cost more than buying a new one.

I need to get my jungle sorted out because I don’t want to step on Johnny Death while going to the chicken pen.
Plus my land lord isn't going to be very happy if the place stays in this state for very long.

I could drag the huge lawn tractor out of the garage but...it's really really cumbersome trying to nip around trees and garden beds.
Did I tell you I had to circumvent the underseat engine cut off because I'm short and when I need to apply the breaks my weight shifts off the seat
And the engine stops.
I also have to drag out and connect a 20 kg deep cell battery because the small one that fits in the battery well died and wont take a charge anymore.
This deep cell battery has to sit in the foot well and sides out the side and cartwheels across the foot path when I corner too quickly. Ask me how I know
First world problems are still problems.

@Sentry18 I think wherever you live is a rarity. I live with a pantry and we are rural and have weather and power outages and people don't stock food. Also, don't know anyone who has their groceries delivered- even uppy ups go to the grocer - only certain posh ones of course, not your regular mart.
@Sewingcreations15 now you have me curious as to how long 5000 gal. lasts the average US household of two. Will let you know.
@Tank-Girl I know what you mean- I hate the seat pressure control for engine. Sometimes just a little bump lifts me enough to stall the engine. You might check second hand or a small engine shop if you have to get a new whipper- sniper ( we call them weed eaters.) Or maybe trade with a neighbor for something you have - eggs, veggies etc. (maybe they like kale:))

Couples use less water because we shower and bathe together...

I think wherever you live is a rarity. I live with a pantry and we are rural and have weather and power outages and people don't stock food. Also, don't know anyone who has their groceries delivered- even uppy ups go to the grocer - only certain posh ones of course, not your regular mart.

Rare for the US perhaps but not for the Midwest. Most people I know buy their beef/pork in bulk and have it delivered direct from the producer.

We have 3 large grocery stores here in town, two offer delivery and all three offer free pick up. You go online, pick out your groceries, and then schedule the delivery or pick up time. When they deliver they pull up in a large van and carry the groceries into our entry way. We pay $99 a year for the service and we figure it saves us 2 hours per week. The place we go to has 5 large vans, about 16-20 personal shoppers, and they offer delivery times 7 days a week between 8am-8pm. They are pretty much always busy. We were part of their original pilot project which was for the elderly and families with young children. Now it's huge. Another benefit is the stores themselves are not quite as crowded and they have specials and sales just for delivery service customers.

I've had to change my prepping purchase plans slightly in the face of a new situation.

I finally found 60 cm flight cages on ebay for a reasonable price and I had to move quickly if I wanted them.
I managed to purchase 8.
The flight cages once the perches are taken out make the perfect indoor guinea pig cages as they have extremely good air flow,
have a mesh floor and a plastic slide out tray to catch the droppings.
With this revolting heat I have lost one of my females to heat stroke so I've had to move them inside into tubs
which isn't ideal.

The roof rack system and the kayak are still part of my purchase plans but they've been pushed back in the hierarchy of needs.

We had travel cages that we used to bring the rabbits in during the day to protect them from the desert heat. They were cramped for about 8hrs a day but when they saw us coming with the cages they came right to us. They wanted inside.

Good to hear that the locals in your area @Sentry18 are mildly prepared but I would say most aren't in most areas as @LadyLocust has pointed out. We also have click and collect for our grocery orders here and find it fantastic as we get no deliveries in woop woop. You can order at your own convenience and also pick it up at a suitable time. As DH has mobility issues it suits us to do a majority of our grocery orders online and pick up odds and sods when we go out such as fruit and vegetables.

@LadyLocust that is a huge amount of water to use :eek: and that surprises me to be honest. We worked out our 5000 gallons would last us very close to 2.5 years if used as frugally as we use it here. Our town water usage on our last bill we were averaging 70 litres (18.5 gallons) per day for the two of us so if you add the two I think we are coming way under the 80 - 100 gallons of water per person per day at 24 gallons for the both of us per day . We use the town water on the gardens, for the cold water in the shower, the cold water in the vanity, flushing the toilet and for washing the car with.

Last edited:
Good to hear that the locals in your area @Sentry18 are mildly prepared but I would say most aren't in most areas as @LadyLocust has pointed out. We also have click and collect for our grocery orders here and find it fantastic as we get no deliveries in woop woop. You can order at your own convenience and also pick it up at a suitable time. As DH has mobility issues it suits us to do a majority of our grocery orders online and pick up odds and sods when we go out such as fruit and vegetables.

@LadyLocust that is a huge amount of water to use :eek: and that surprises me to be honest. We worked out our 5000 gallons would last us very close to 2.5 years if used as frugally as we use it here. Our town water usage on our last bill we were averaging 70 litres (18.5 gallons) per day for the two of us so if you add the two I think we are coming way under the 80 - 100 gallons of water per person per day . We use the town water on the gardens and for washing the car with.
We are on a well so don't have a meter. I would be curious what we use. I thought it seemed high also. All of our gray water goes down the drain and is not reused for things such as watering trees. Not sure about there, but the amount of chemicals in all the soaps, lotions and potions that most people use would probably kill a tree. A gray water system is something I will be working into our someday house. I've also seen a type of toilet made in Japan that has the hand washing over the tank of the toilet so it's actually gray water being used to flush rather than flushing clean water. Water is such a huge issue that so many people (at least over here) take for granted.

Washington starts with wash. we have an abundance of water in the state but it has and will continue to be mismanaged. We use biodegradable soaps and cleaning supplies but my wife still uses a bit of bleach in the clothes washer. All the other sinks are connected to the grey water outlet that is stored in a tank with rainwater for use in the yard. The chemicals in the soap are actually good for the soil and helps it absorb water and hold it better. A good fertilizer for soft wood trees is 1 Tbsp dish soap, 1 beer or canned soft drink, 1/4cup of ammonia, and a slice of bread. Combine the liquids and tear the bread into crumbs and add to the liquids. stir it gently to mix and then dig a shallow hole about 3 inches in diameter and six inches deep at the perimeter of the cover foliage. (do this in six to eight places around the canopy) this adds everything your tree will need for a long healthy life.
Fruit, nut and evergreen trees need a little different concoction but for willows and other soft woods this is excellent.

I bought 6 more drying screens for my Nesco dehydrator and they were delivered yesterday.
I can find the trays at Bed Bath and Beyond but not the screens so I had to order online

Latest posts

Back