Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i figure it's good to go on camp stove's and kitchens stove's.but Using it on open fire is one thing im wondering about.i figure a small camp fire.or fire in a can will work.
Do you have a swiveled hook (small crane like thing) for your campfires? You wouldn't want to burn the handle, but that's what the wire is supposed to be for. Not sure how well it's made so maybe that's purely for looks these days.
A little grumble- "they" make things anymore that look how they are supposed to look but don't function properly. Galvanized buckets are tinfoil anymore- useless for hauling anything more than feathers. gaah

I have one very similar, but I take the percolator out and make Cowboy coffee. Coffee, water, bring to a rolling boil. Let it simmer for a few minutes then pour in a little cold water in the top, and in the spout to settle the grounds. When it is done you throw in a bullet or a horseshoe, whatever is available. If it sinks it isn't done yet. Works pretty well.

Speaking of fire in a can… This is essentially what this little gizmo is… It a little fold out stove 6”x4”x1/2” when folded, it’s 4”wide x 5”tall x 9”long when folded out. I don’t remember where I got it or its name.

It folds out, has a floor to keep the fire off damp ground and room for a small pot or pan on top. It has a flip up door for adding fuel in one end. It’s the perfect size to hold a small handful of natural charcoal. It makes it easy to hide a flame and still cook when its windy and raining.

This isn’t a bob item as it weighs about 1lb 5oz. I bought for that hidden cache of gear that has extra rations, weapon/ammo, extra medical supplies etc. The one hidden in a hard to find location that’s easily to defend. As a friend likes to say… “A good place to pretend to be a drop of water in the ocean”.

Camp Stove sm 1.JPG
Camp Stove sm 2.jpg
Camp Stove sm 3.jpg
Camp Stove sm 4.jpg

i figure it's good to go on camp stove's and kitchens stove's.but Using it on open fire is one thing im wondering about.i figure a small camp fire.or fire in a can will work.

thought the same that I'll have to be careful with that wood handle. Thought might help if I also wrap it in a few layers of heavy duty aluminum foil.

Within the last month I have stocked up on a few things thinking Amazon orders and other store inventory may be lacking soon due to the China virus situaion. I went ahead and purchased things on Amazon that have been sitting in my cart for quite a while. I didn't really 'need' any of these items, but I knew I would be buying them sooner or later, so I just went ahead with it. Among some of the items I went ahead and purchased:

sneakers
rechargable batteries
electrolyte mix (lots)
elderberry
nuts
keto/low carb ingredients (like Swerve)
OTC meds
clearanced clothing (including jackets)
gloves (work and winter)
sunglasses
disinfectant spray
bleech
sunscreen lotion
stocked freezer with sale priced meats and cheese

I don't plan on going to the store anytime soon, but anytime that I do go now, I'm keeping an eye out for bargains. Tis the season.:D Mid February to mid March is where I usually find the best bargains for Christmas gifts for the next year.

Been stocking up on tinned lychees as the only country they are produced here is China and I am near to stocking a years worth now. Purchased most cheaper prepping things prior that were far cheaper to buy from China and Hong Kong in the medical department and everyday things like the boots we wear in the yard so should be right hopefully.

We also just stocked up or filled up 6 jerry cans of fuel 1 being for the machinery here.

I'd never heard of Lychees before... Googled same and read up on them. I have to confess... I first thought it was a funny way to spell leeches... and I'm thinking "Canned Leeches"? o_O I'm sorry, I'm drawing the line at canned sardines. That's as far as I'm willing to go. :D

Thanks for posting... Now I'm better educated.;)

Last edited:
Where'd you get them if you don't mind the question... I have plenty of 6 gallon pails but some things need to be in a smaller container...2 - 3 gallon.
Someone brought me 100 buckets with lids. They had residue of ginger paste in them and on the outside from being stacked. I cleaned them and took off the labels. They are very pretty. Reasors bakery gave me a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon buckets for free a few years ago.

2 & 3 gallon buckts can be gotten at any food store with a bakery that has cakes with frosting.

Someone brought me 100 buckets with lids. They had residue of ginger paste in them and on the outside from being stacked. I cleaned them and took off the labels. They are very pretty. Reasors bakery gave me a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon buckets for free a few years ago.

Thanks... Got the info on my list!

Well, today was a restock of the basics after a LOOOOONG stretch of austerity.

9kg of LPG.
10ltr of fuel for the whippersnipper.
24 kg of sugar.
Mixed grain scratch mix for the chickens.
new 10 ltr buckets.
Cotton string and a new misting gun for the garden.
Lots of assorted tools.
More mouse traps.
Lots of dried fruit, rolled oats.
Jars of plain tomato sauce.
I lashed out and brought a whole sliced rump, crumbed chicken wings and BBQ sausages.
I haven't had a decent steak in months so I threw my hands up went big.
The tins of tuna I normally buy have jumped from $1.19 per tin to $1.30 per tin. Ouch.

The tins of tuna I normally buy have jumped from $1.19 per tin to $1.30 per tin. Ouch.

Wow!! I haven't bought any in a while because I keep a huge stock, but if memory serves last time I bought tuna it was .67 c a can. I will check this weekend.

I think there is a trip to Bass Pro on the agenda for this weekend. I want to pick up a couple of #10 cans and ammo. I know I can get everything there; one-stop shopping.

Dang.....now the MSM is talking non-stop Coronaviraus. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Still, it makes me more nervous now that they're not ignoring it. The stock market finally believes the hype too. I think I recall a thread on here about when and what you would stock up on if you had upfront notice of impending possible SHTF. Well if this ain't it, I'm not sure what is. I don't want to lose my mind and just start buying everything in sight, but all of a sudden, I do feel the need to shore some things up. I made several online orders today which I hope isn't too late. I'm also making another shopping trip tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be decent and I have the day off.

I've been working on my list today. This weekend when I get the truck, I'm also filling up gas cans since the winter blend is cheaper and the prices have come down recently due to the CV affecting future travel plans. So, I guess there is an upside. I'm also placing a propane order tomorrow.

Anyways, tomorrow I'm stocking up on more cheese, meats on sale, beer, baking ingredients, coffee, nuts, some medical items (which I really don't need), more bottled water, vitamins, etc. I'm also going to be looking for clearanced priced items like socks, underwear, blankets, candles, etc. I already got some stuff last week, so tomorrow will just be adding to it. I'm going to buy many of the items we use daily in large amounts, so I'm sure I'll be getting some of those 'looks' tomorrow from cashiers. I don't care! The worst thing that will happen is, nothing will happen, and we'll use those items anyways.

I've got that gut feeling that I better get things while the gettin's good. I'm not going to panic just yet.......but I do feel like I need to shore some things up. I'll feel a whole lot better these next few days knowing my garage and pantry are FULL. Hopefully the panic will not hit here, but if it does, I'll feel better knowing that I was able to get out in front of it.

Dang.....now the MSM is talking non-stop Coronaviraus. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Still, it makes me more nervous now that they're not ignoring it. The stock market finally believes the hype too. I think I recall a thread on here about when and what you would stock up on if you had upfront notice of impending possible SHTF. Well if this ain't it, I'm not sure what is. I don't want to lose my mind and just start buying everything in sight, but all of a sudden, I do feel the need to shore some things up. I made several online orders today which I hope isn't too late. I'm also making another shopping trip tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be decent and I have the day off.

I've been working on my list today. This weekend when I get the truck, I'm also filling up gas cans since the winter blend is cheaper and the prices have come down recently due to the CV affecting future travel plans. So, I guess there is an upside. I'm also placing a propane order tomorrow.

Anyways, tomorrow I'm stocking up on more cheese, meats on sale, beer, baking ingredients, coffee, nuts, some medical items (which I really don't need), more bottled water, vitamins, etc. I'm also going to be looking for clearanced priced items like socks, underwear, blankets, candles, etc. I already got some stuff last week, so tomorrow will just be adding to it. I'm going to buy many of the items we use daily in large amounts, so I'm sure I'll be getting some of those 'looks' tomorrow from cashiers. I don't care! The worst thing that will happen is, nothing will happen, and we'll use those items anyways.

I've got that gut feeling that I better get things while the gettin's good. I'm not going to panic just yet.......but I do feel like I need to shore some things up. I'll feel a whole lot better these next few days knowing my garage and pantry are FULL. Hopefully the panic will not hit here, but if it does, I'll feel better knowing that I was able to get out in front of it.
It is definitely better to be out in front of it. I'm no pro, but to figure out what you need to maintain your "normal" even if that is at home (quarantine). The less risk of exposure, the better. I'm certainly not panicking but it's an awareness that I keep front of mind when out and about.

I went through my Get Home Bag (GHB). Did a complete inventory. I tend to keep categories of items together, and put them in small ditty bags. I marked all the bags i.e. tools, first aid, fire. I eliminated some redundancies, and lightened the load by a pound or so. Replaced batteries, and reading glasses. I was pretty pleased with the process. Didn't have any " so that's where that was!!" moments.

I feel a little better today. I'm pretty sure I heard my car moan on the way home yesterday.....it was packed! I didn't want to waste the trip, so if it fit (like TP), it was purchased. I indeed did get a comment from the cashier at Aldi. He said he had a large order earlier in the day and thought that would be his biggest order. LOL! I spent a couple hundred on nuts alone. It is our #1 snack, so we go thru a lot of them. Now we should be set for quite a while. Besides, it looks like the prices are inching up there, so might as well get em' while they're cheaper.

Some items I will have to go back to internet shopping for. I wanted to get a couple more braces for my med kit such as a neck and back brace, but they were too expensive in store. I looked at a few of them a few days ago online and they are much cheaper there. However, there were BOGO supplements and vitamins yesterday so I topped those off. I was also able to find some items cheaper in the store like heating pads. One of those was on clearance too:)

With all the MSM fear mongering going on, if nothing else, it hopefully will get some people to think in the preparedness mindset. I've heard that word more in the past couple of days than I have in the past couple of years. So, hopefully more people will prepare for the worst. DJT seems awful confident that this is no big deal so I wonder if he is just trying to prevent panic or he knows something we don't? I really don't know what to believe on it, so I thought it would be better to err on the side of caution, like I always do. I think we would be OK even if we got infected since we are very healthy, but I do have elderly family members who would be at high risk of death. I didn't see any panic buying when out and about yesterday, but I was more focused on my own list than I was on what others were doing.

Maybe it was the other site that we had a thread of a list of things to get if you could see things perhaps starting to head into SHTF territory. The only one I can find is this one with the 15 minute notice.....
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/you-have-15-minutes-to.6990/Anyways, I do have a short notice list in my purse. I dug through my purse and found it today. If it comes to that, at least I won't waste my time trying to find it. I can cross several things off that list like nuts. LOL! Still, it was worth looking at. Thankfully, I'm already fully stocked on many of the items. Although, I'm still buying sale priced items.

Huh....I never knew those existed. Let us know how you like it. I think I know what I'll get hubs for Christmas!
I bet it would be dicey trying to get thru airport security with one of those vests or jackets. :ghostly:
I like it. The battery works for hours. I think I should have gotten the coat. A buddy of mine has one, a gift from his wife, that's where I learned of them.

I just did regular grocery shopping today. Probably should of gotten more cheese (we eat a lot of cheese), and I'll need to get some more parrot food tomorrow. We're good for a long while. I went into Harbor Freight and their aisle that had masks, face shields, all that stuff was empty. Lowes was empty of it, too. I did find a couple of those yellow plastic hazmat type outfits at Harbor. With my membership coupons, I paid about 8 bucks a piece.

I just placed my 9mm range ammo order for 2020: 5,000 rounds of Blazer Brass in 500 round buckets. Got it for $159 shipped per 1,000 round case with my LEO discount. So not steel case or aluminum case cheap, but not too bad either. I don't usually shoot 5,000 rounds a year, but every round I don't shoot becomes a prep. Been doing that for over 25 years. That plus I like buying those sealed 900 rounds cans of Russian 9mm for some reason.

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back