Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)Sooo..........How many Glock Model 18 do you have access to....??? Would be a giggle to run one in each hand......:)

I just placed my 9mm range ammo order for 2020: 5,000 rounds of Blazer Brass in 500 round buckets. Got it for $159 shipped per 1,000 round case with my LEO discount. So not steel case or aluminum case cheap, but not too bad either. I don't usually shoot 5,000 rounds a year, but every round I don't shoot becomes a prep. Been doing that for over 25 years. That plus I like buying those sealed 900 rounds cans of Russian 9mm for some reason.

:)Sooo..........How many Glock Model 18 do you have access to....??? Would be a giggle to run one in each hand......:)

Unfortunately none, we tested them once though and they were fun. Not accurate or controllable, but fun.

I use a lot of Blazer brass in 9mm and 40 caliber. I prefer the accuracy I get with the 124 grain 9mm and the 165 grain in 40.
I don't buy center fire ammunition because I reload my own. It comes to slightly under $0.14 a round for 9mm and $0.16 per round for 40 caliber.
For that price I get bullets with a standard deviation of well below 1% of the average velocity and that equates to less than 1" groups at 25 yards.
9mm ammo goes for between $0.20 to about $0.30 per round depending on the make and hype. The 40 caliber ammo goes for $0.24 and up in bulk so I save a bit on reloading and get the accuracy I want/need.

@angie_nrs Do you vacuum seal the nuts in canning jars? I've found they keep much longer (at least as long as it takes us to eat them 😉)
@Caribou I want a body suit of that!!!!!
@Amish Heart Try a welding supply place (Oxarc and Norco are local suppliers, I believe national) They still have them here.

I use a lot of Blazer brass in 9mm and 40 caliber. I prefer the accuracy I get with the 124 grain 9mm and the 165 grain in 40.
I don't buy center fire ammunition because I reload my own. It comes to slightly under $0.14 a round for 9mm and $0.16 per round for 40 caliber.
For that price I get bullets with a standard deviation of well below 1% of the average velocity and that equates to less than 1" groups at 25 yards.
9mm ammo goes for between $0.20 to about $0.30 per round depending on the make and hype. The 40 caliber ammo goes for $0.24 and up in bulk so I save a bit on reloading and get the accuracy I want/need.

With my LEO discounts I usually pay between $0.14 - $0.16 a round for range ammo (usually with free shipping). Which is why I stopped reloading. When I factored in my time I was not gaining anything. This is also why I over buy every year, in the hopes that I won't need to buy any ammo in retirement. Of course if I run out then I will either have to start reloading again or see if my retirees badge still gets me the price break. As far as accuracy goes I am happy with minute of bad guy.

I like reloading, almost as much as I like shooting. I am a bit of an accuracy nut but I train with that mindset too. It is not enough to knock down six falling plates in 1-1/2 seconds, I have to hit them in the center before I am satisfied. The same is true with the Texas Star and the silhouette targets used in 3 gun. I like the hostage targets because the head is the only real target available and putting a double tap between the eyes is satisfying.

Added a canister of gatoraid powder to the pantry ( we drank all ours this past summer)
Found nice cold weather cow's hide gloves on sale for only $3 each. I bought 2 pairs of both types. It'll take a while to break them in but doesn't matter lol
Added 6 more cans of pineapple to the pantry. Hubby loves the stuff.
Added 6 cans of garbanzo beans
Added 3 cans of salmon ( boy did the price go up. $4 a can)

@angie_nrs Do you vacuum seal the nuts in canning jars? I've found they keep much longer (at least as long as it takes us to eat them 😉)
They already come sealed in the plastic containers. I've never had an issue with them going stale. We eat a LOT of them.....probably too much. What I have now should get us through the year and they have a best by date into 2021. However, if we had to make them last longer, I probably would vacuum seal them in glass jars.

I told a friend how much I spent on nuts and she thinks I'm crazy. She's a minimalist and only has a very small working pantry and works in town so she just pops in and gets what she needs on a frequent basis. I told her prices were going up and I don't like to shop, so now I'm set for the year. I could 'hear' her eyes rolling over the phone. There's just some people that will never understand 'stocking up', no matter what.....unless something bad happens. I hope she is right and I'm wrong....but I'm not taking that chance.

Thanks to someone mentioning this type of product on this forum in the last week or so, I purchased some Hoosier Hill Farms real powdered butter. Did not even know this company or product existed, but now I have two 1lb containers of it. While I was at it I picked up a container or real powdered whole mile, real powdered heavy cream, and real powdered peanut butter too. The company lists the shelf life as 12 months, but I did read that people had success storing it for 2x that long in a cool dry place. Wife said when it starts to get toward the end of its lifespan, she can use it in various recipes.

I have some of the red feather canned butter. There isn't a set in stone expiration date, but one of the reviews says he had it stored for 9 years and it still tasted good. I should pop one of mine open and see how it is......can't remember now when exactly I bought it, but I don't think it was that long ago.
https://www.safecastle.com/products/red-feather-canned-butter

We used Red Feather butter on our commercial fishing boat 60+ years ago. I was as happy with it as I was with the butter out of the store. Refrigeration was not available on the boat then. Fishing season was less than 4 months and we used it by the end of the season so I have no experience as to longevity.

P.S. I also ordered a container each of dehydrated butter, cheddar, white cheddar, and cream.

heres the deal.
https://www.wisefoodstorage.com/1-month-bundle.htmlThe above link is wise food, I am not picking on wise food, all the prep food are about the same.
In the above link you get 1 month supply of food for $510.00
look at the calorie count. it is 60,540 that breaks down to 2000 calories a day. This wise package is only good for 1 person. '
Now lets look at calories.
The average woman needs to eat about 2,000 calories per day to maintain her weight, and 1,500 calories per day to lose one pound of weight per week. Meanwhile, the average man needs 2,500 calories to maintain, and 2,000 to lose one pound of weight per week.

These numbers are for a person sitting at home, In a shtf scenario a person is going to need more calories to be able to hunt, forage,,chop wood. etc etc
It is VERY important that you take this into consideration.

$500.00 a month for one person rations is BULL SHAT..grow a garden. dehydrate the bounty of the garden. learn to jerk meat. learn to hunt small game. learn to use a snare etc..

3 to 400 million people will not be able to rely on wild game for their nutrition. The animal populations will simply disappear.

Thanks to someone mentioning this type of product on this forum in the last week or so, I purchased some Hoosier Hill Farms real powdered butter. Did not even know this company or product existed, but now I have two 1lb containers of it. While I was at it I picked up a container or real powdered whole mile, real powdered heavy cream, and real powdered peanut butter too. The company lists the shelf life as 12 months, but I did read that people had success storing it for 2x that long in a cool dry place. Wife said when it starts to get toward the end of its lifespan, she can use it in various recipes.

I have the butter and milk but have never seen the heavy cream.

I have the butter and milk but have never seen the heavy cream.
I found it when I was looking for the dried cheese. I went down the page at Amazon and it was in the theses items sometimes ordered together area.

Me too! ;)

chicken.jpg

I've ordered from Hoosier Farms before.
I ordered powdered cream and blue cheese powder I haven't opened the blue cheese yet, but the container says to mix it with sour cream to make a salad dressing. That is on my list, but I am thinking I need sour cream powder as well.

Last edited:
So I put in an order last week (26th) with NuMana for a bucket of freeze dried stuff I could drop off to someone if it became needed. What are the odds I even get that order? I've called the company, emailed etc. Never used them before. Certainly not counting on it for anything was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the company they could share.

I put in an order for my hydroponics supplies. Both orders have shipped and should be here in the next week. I'm looking forward to trying to grow with the Kratky method.

I'm also thinking about growing sprouts and will do some research on it here sometime soon

I stopped in to a local hunting/camping/fishing store that happens to sell some survival supplies and other goods. They were having a sale on Datrex ration bars, $8 for a 3600 calorie pack with approx. 4 to 4 1/2 years of the 5 year shelf life remaining. I purchased 10 packages.

Latest posts

Back