Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by Wally World yesterday. More of a scouting mission than anything. Wanted to see if there was any panic buying or shortages. I didn't see any indication of either. I did pick up a carboy of water. Wife was a little nervous about our water supply. I assured her we were fine, but she wanted one anyway. Not going to break the bank, and a great storage container once the water is used. I should get two or three more.

Yea theres no panic here either that I've seen

I have 4 of those 5 gallon water jerrycans. Have them stored in case we need them in the future. Military surplus is your friend 😆

We have already upped our preps some more too considering they are saying that the Coronavirus will peak here in late April to late May. I must say we are not too worried living in woop woop in a town of under 500 people but we are seeing panic buying in our supermarkets with lots of products being short or out of stock in our local country smaller supermarkets.

We topped up on in the last few weeks -

- 6.1 kg of rump steak we saw on special for $8.95 kg reduced from $17 kg.
- 3 odd kilograms of chicken drumsticks on special for $3 kg reduced from $5 kg.
- some tear off notepads as stationary is also in short supply :rolleyes: as most are made in China.
- stocked up on more vegetable seeds we were low on.
- Topped 6 jerry cans of fuel to replace what we used.
- Bought 5 litres of fuel preservative on a great special on eBay.
- Bought a carton of champignon tinned mushrooms.
- Tried to order powdered milk to replace what we used but again they were out of stock in our little country supermarket. I will put in an order for the 13th from a larger store. Not worried as we have heaps in stock but want to replace what we have used anyway.

I also did a good stocktake of the food storage/everything room to see if we were low on anything.

I've been doing inventory, too, in case we shelter in place. We are in decent shape. I will be shopping early this morning, but my list is mostly fresh fruit and veg, and milk. I've got a lot of powdered milk, shelf stable boxed milk, but I'll get fresh when I can. The kids go through 5 gallons a week here.

3 to 400 million people will not be able to rely on wild game for their nutrition. The animal populations will simply disappear.

This is a true statement,
But I think

Me also

20200112_154818.jpg

We have already upped our preps some more too considering they are saying that the Coronavirus will peak here in late April to late May. I must say we are not too worried living in woop woop in a town of under 500 people but we are seeing panic buying in our supermarkets with lots of products being short or out of stock in our local country smaller supermarkets.

We topped up on in the last few weeks -

- 6.1 kg of rump steak we saw on special for $8.95 kg reduced from $17 kg.
- 3 odd kilograms of chicken drumsticks on special for $3 kg reduced from $5 kg.
- some tear off notepads as stationary is also in short supply :rolleyes: as most are made in China.
- stocked up on more vegetable seeds we were low on.
- Topped 6 jerry cans of fuel to replace what we used.
- Bought 5 litres of fuel preservative on a great special on eBay.
- Bought a carton of champignon tinned mushrooms.
- Tried to order powdered milk to replace what we used but again they were out of stock in our little country supermarket. I will put in an order for the 13th from a larger store. Not worried as we have heaps in stock but want to replace what we have used anyway.

I also did a good stocktake of the food storage/everything room to see if we were low on anything.

Taking Inventory just to make sure. Excellent idea!! :great:

Apparently one order of my hydroponics supplies was delivered last night...get this...at 10:15 pm(!!) :confused::huh:

I've never had a delivery that late. I have no idea what was going on last night with FedEx lol

We were sleeping when this happened. Hubby picked it up at the gate this morning on his way to work.

Now I'm waiting on the other order. Its supposed to be here on monday. Wonder what time it'll be delivered? lol

Apparently one order of my hydroponics supplies was delivered last night...get this...at 10:15 pm(!!) :confused::huh:

I've never had a delivery that late. I have no idea what was going on last night with FedEx lol

We were sleeping when this happened. Hubby picked it up at the gate this morning on his way to work.

Now I'm waiting on the other order. Its supposed to be here on monday. Wonder what time it'll be delivered? lol

I recently sent my sister a package via UPS. She said it was delivered at 10:30 at night. If memory serves it was a Friday night. We were both quite surprised. None of these deliveries required a signature, so I guess they don't worry about it.

I think I may have created a monster. My wife can't pass a grocery store without spending $200. I'm not complaining but I sure wish I could get her to do that with the gun/ammo store :)

If only they sold ammo at the grocery store.

If only they sold ammo at the grocery store.
The local Meijer has a sporting goods department. The prices are better at other places, although I did get 30/30 on clearance a couple times.

The local Meijer has a sporting goods department. The prices are better at other places, although I did get 30/30 on clearance a couple times.
In all my 29 years of life 😂 I have never seen ammo on clearance! Occasionally a sale but not usually on the better brands.

In all my 29 years of life 😂 I have never seen ammo on clearance! Occasionally a sale but not usually on the better brands.
It was a corporate thing, they clearanced it at the end of deer season. Funny thing is, you can't hunt deer with a 30/30 in Ohio. It's still a mystery to me, but they stopped doing it a few years back.

LadyLocust,
You are just a kid! ;) I was 29 forty years ago. Yes, I saw the smiley but I am not sure whether you are 29 and holding or still young in years.
I thought you were more mature than a 29 year old has the ability to be.

Well no pressure cooker or yoyo reels for me.

We've got a cyclone (hurricane) coming and so water, food and fuel come first.
So let's take account of what's happened in recent, months/years shalll we?
7 years of drought.
Covid19
Electrical dry storms (which ignite bush fires)
Bush fires.
Storms.
Hail.
Flooding.
Now a cyclone which will mean more rain and more flooding.

I'm half expecting locust plague which could happen with the rains in arid regions triggering a mass spawning.

I do not use hand sanitizer, I use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.
I buy it by the 32 oz bottle.
The alcohol based sanitisers kill what is on your hands but when the alcohol evaporates you have no further protection. I use Prefens as it lasts 24 hours or ten hand washes.

I never use hand sanitizer at home. I wash my hands same as I always have....before meals, brushing teeth, handling food, etc. and after handling dog food/dishes, preparing or cleaning food, laundry, going potty, etc. My hands don't dry out and crack as much with regular hand washing. However, sanitizer really dries out the skin. This time of year it's dry, so I often use heavy duty hand lotion before going to bed. I'm not doing anything differently now than what I normally do, but I've always been good about hand hygiene. Nursing school will do that to a person.

Stopped in at the fleet-farm store and HOLY COW! I have never seen the freeze dried food section so bare. There had like 2-3 Wise food buckets and a couple 10# cans left and that was it. Plus they had set out several pallets of bottled water just a few days ago and there was only a few cases still sitting there. There were a lot of people looking at guns and buying ammo as well. Store clerk said that have been very busy lately but we expecting a truck later today, so those shelves might not be empty for long.

I used the last of my gift card to buy 4 boxes of PMC 158 grain JSP .357 mag ammo, a couple 7 round speed loaders, and the rest of the clearance Datrex ration bars which apparently the food hoarders did not see on the end cap in the hunting section. I am not saying I am going to sell all 22 - 3600 calorie packages I now have, but if the panic continues I just might have the Mrs. put them up on Facebook rummage at fair panic market value and see what happens. This might also be the time to sell of my stock of MRE's and other food preps which are in their last year or so of shelf life.

Made a bunch of bottles of hand sanitizer for everyone in the family...aloe and 70% rubbing alcohol. I'll let everyone pick which essential oil they want in theirs.

Are the essential oils just for smell or they an essential part of the recipe?

Both. Husband hates oils, so none for him. The smells set him off. Thieves oil, frankincense, or Tea Tree are supposed to be antibacterial. But some just smell good. I made a bunch of plastic ready to go 6 ounces, so our kids and grands can add what they want. I suspect it's the alcohol that does the sanitizing. The aloe just makes it less rough on your hands. And aloe has some healing properties.

Back