Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone :D .

Yesterday whilst we were at the doctor we stopped off to pick up some scripts for DH and noticed their multivitamins and Echinacea & Zinc tablets on special for around 1/3 of usual price so we purchased 3 x 100pk bottles of vitamins, 1 x 30 tablet Echinacea and Zinc (we use during cold and flus to build the immune system) and topped up on a couple of months supply of DH's pain medications too. Our doctor does a bulk script for more than what we need so we can stock up supplies on things.

I also call getting our health seen to at the doctor prepping to make sure we are in good physical health. To that note I had a well overdue total check over including having my ears seen too, some skin cancers looked at, blood pressure and blood taken for other things too and height and BMI done. Unfortunately the pathologist got me mixed up with another person of the same name in another State and I have to go in tomorrow to have my blood taken yet again :(, oh I hate needles. I told them they had me at the wrong address previously in the first place.

I've pretty made up my mind that I'm buying a dehydrator this pension.
It will leave me VERY short for the next fortnight but the long term benefits out weigh short term
pain.
I've had to move all my flour and sugar to the freezer until I sort out some food grade buckets.
The cockroaches and ants have discovered my stockpile and I'm not buying good food to feed vermin.

I've been looking at a portable Coleman camp oven.
It's a little square metal box with a door and a wire rack that you sit on a gas stove.
On the YT review videos I've watched it does seem that putting a pizza stone of a thick unglazed tile
in the bottom helps regulate the bottom heat and prevents cakes, muffins etc from getting burnt bottoms.
Something to keep in mind for a latter date.

i have one of the ovens. it works great. i don't use it much anymore. but i'm hanging on to it . you never know when you might need it.
I've pretty made up my mind that I'm buying a dehydrator this pension.
It will leave me VERY short for the next fortnight but the long term benefits out weigh short term
pain.
I've had to move all my flour and sugar to the freezer until I sort out some food grade buckets.
The cockroaches and ants have discovered my stockpile and I'm not buying good food to feed vermin.

It's a little square metal box with a door and a wire rack that you sit on a gas stove.
On the YT review videos I've watched it does seem that putting a pizza stone of a thick unglazed tile
in the bottom helps regulate the bottom heat and prevents cakes, muffins etc from getting burnt bottoms.

We must have watched the same video. I have been looking on Craigslist for a pizza stone ever since I got the Coleman camp oven. Still no luck for a reasonably priced one.

We must have watched the same video. I have been looking on Craigslist for a pizza stone ever since I got the Coleman camp oven. Still no luck for a reasonably priced one.

Yes, small pizza stones are very expensive.

I have used thick unglazed terracotta tiles in the regular oven before and they work as pizza stones.
On pension day I'm going to a hardware store and buying a couple in a size that will fit the oven.
Yeah, looks like I'll be buying the oven instead of the dehydrator.
Go figure.

i have one of the ovens. it works great. i don't use it much anymore. but i'm hanging on to it . you never know when you might need it.

I've got 2 of them. I keep one in the horse trailer and the other is at our new place. They work pretty well. I also have the toaster thing Coleman sells. That worked better than I hoped it would.

There have been more grain, rice, bean and chick pea crop destruction across Asia, India and the Middle East due to bad weather.
Global spot prices for these food stuffs will go through the roof.
Time to once again do the weigh-up about what to purchase next.
It's going to have to be grain products - flours, beans, rolled oats, lentils and more bags of grain for the chickens.
My last bag of mixed grain which is normally excellent was pretty sparse on wheat and sunflowers and heavy on sorghum which the chickens hate.
They'll only eat it if I soak it and it sprouts for 5 days.

Who needs the farm report when we have y'all. Thanks for the heads up.

Tank Girl...you can make your own non electric dehydrator. Lots of plans on the web. A friend of mine here made a cool one. My grandma in Kansas used to dry foods in between screens in the attic in the summertime.

You can make them with window screens or cellulose air filters and a box fan with some bungi cords.

Ordered 10 Sand colored 20 rnd PMags. Thing II came up with the Idea of Dying Sand Mags OD Green to designate The Rounds in the Mags as " 5.56/.223 Long Range 60 Gr Bullets or Heavier". He came up with the Idea after seeing me Dye some "Dark Earth", in order to Identify the rounds as 300 ACC Black Out. I told everyone not to use them in a 5.56 AR, For Obvious Reasons. Things I and II have 10 sand color 20 rnd PMags. They were waiting for me to get some, so that we can Dye them all in one Batch at my House.

Make a bunch of taco seasoning.
Granddaughter made her first "mason jar" item. She made a spiced orange/lemon drink mix. She even put a cute tag on it. She's hooked. I need to finish up some cappucino mocha mixes. Thought I'd bring a jar to my mom when I see her next month. She's forgotten how to use the coffee pot, and with this, it's just add hot water to it.

I brought a flint spark creator from a very large hardware store called Bunnings to light my LPG stove.
No more buying matches and mess and no more bic lighters that run out of fuel.
I brought a container of replacement flints which just screw into the strike arm.
I also spent a little bit of time practicing on my camp stove so I could find out how close the spark creator had to be
to the burner and which angle was best.
I've got it down pat AND I only have to use one hand which is good with my shoulder surgery and resulting splinting and cast coming up.

Attachments

• flint spark creator.JPG
    flint spark creator.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 39
Speaking of flint spark, A friend and I were doing some primitive camping and trying out old style woodsmanship (read here frontiers man). We have these flint and stryker fire starter kits that the Longhunters used to have and they would fill with char. Well I had read where some of the hunters would sprinkle black powder or pour out a small pile and strike it to start a fire. My friend got all excited and poured out a pile of BP on a thick piece of leather and placed it on his lap , Then he picked up his striker kit and said " I'm gonna see if it works!" I tried to voice a warning as he quickly struck the flint, To me it seemed like a silly way to test a fire starting theory since we both had in camp a 50 and 54 cal flintlock rifles!!!! I could get no further than the words "HEY MAN......" when the flash and smoke leapt up quickly removed his eyebrows and left him with this semi Racoonish face. All he said was "YEP it works."

Speaking of flint spark, A friend and I were doing some primitive camping and trying out old style woodsmanship (read here frontiers man). We have these flint and stryker fire starter kits that the Longhunters used to have and they would fill with char. Well I had read where some of the hunters would sprinkle black powder or pour out a small pile and strike it to start a fire. My friend got all excited and poured out a pile of BP on a thick piece of leather and placed it on his lap , Then he picked up his striker kit and said " I'm gonna see if it works!" I tried to voice a warning as he quickly struck the flint, To me it seemed like a silly way to test a fire starting theory since we both had in camp a 50 and 54 cal flintlock rifles!!!! I could get no further than the words "HEY MAN......" when the flash and smoke leapt up quickly removed his eyebrows and left him with this semi Racoonish face. All he said was "YEP it works."

Ok good I was worried it wouldn't work. Lmao

Black powder burns much too fast to be a good fire starter, as your friend discovered. Using the same components in a less refined composite will burn much slower and burn with enough heat over time to actually produce a good fire starter. Pouring the ingredients of black powder together and mixing them with a spoon is enough refinement for starting fires and it won't explode unless you really confine it to build a lot of pressure. Still, wax and particle board is hard to beat for a long term flame, and it can be ignited with almost any good tinder and a spark.

Latest posts

Back