Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added more tp, paper plates, canned fruits and veggies, canned baked beans, pastas and egg noodles to the stockpile.
Been sealing them in jars and saver bags ( pastas and noodles)

Next up I plan to buy plain yogurt with active bacteria and freeze it in 2TB size dollops and then store them in the freezer for future use( to make homemade yogurt)
Also plan to buy more eggs to freeze

@Weedygarden, I'm taking two courses online:
Making Herbal Preparations 101 Mini Course
Introductory Herbal Course

The mini course was only $10 during the first month of the lockdown, and the Intro course was half price. I have so many books and really could learn a lot from them, to be honest. But I just don't learn like I used to, and I needed the structure of a course. Of course, the self-paced nature of the courses is still a challenge for me. 😂

You mentioned them in another thread. I went poking around the website last night. They list a lot of people involved with the company. They were a little unclear as to how these people would interact with you as a student... I know a few people they name on the site, matt wood and david winston. The modern age of online courses perhaps? I would gently point out that there is something about hunting plants you intend to use on a scorching hot summer day, drenched in sweat among the ticks and mosquitoes... or all day in a freezing winter rain... that adds to plant medicine, it doesn't take away from it. ;) It gives a strong connection to the plants, an understanding.

I wish you the best on this endeavor, the world doesn't have enough plant people... :)

Next lot of preps on the cards is gold fossicking gear - a sluice and pans.

If things get really bad I need a way of creating wealth and the country around me is very rich in deposits.

I've done a little prospecting, enjoyable. I never got rich but gave away little vials of gold to everyone at christmas one year.... I've heard about that Australian gold, post us some pictures.

gold 01 (8).jpg

I've done a little prospecting, enjoyable. I never got rich but gave away little vials of gold to everyone at christmas one year.... I've heard about that Australian gold, post us some pictures.

View attachment 44437
I will when I get the gear. My area is just lousy with iron stone so a metal detector isn't much use because of the sheer amount of false reads you get.

Next lot of preps on the cards is gold fossicking gear - a sluice and pans.

If things get really bad I need a way of creating wealth and the country around me is very rich in deposits.
I wish you did not live a half a world away, I would give you my gold hunting gear.

I would gently point out that there is something about hunting plants you intend to use on a scorching hot summer day, drenched in sweat among the ticks and mosquitoes... or all day in a freezing winter rain... that adds to plant medicine, it doesn't take away from it. ;) It gives a strong connection to the plants, an understanding.
Yes, I understand. :) I'm not there yet, but I see it. I have oils and tinctures in the works from plants I've either grown or foraged - and that's amazing to me. I talk to everything in nature, and in a sense have a relationship with it. But to collect parts of a plant to use for medicine, that's a different connection, one that I'm growing into. And I'm grateful for that. (I do have some dried herbs I purchased for the sake of being able to do things within the course, rather than waiting on the seasons because if I have to wait, I'll never get back to it, lol.)

I want to get to the point that I know when to collect the leaves of X and the roots of Y - to have that in the calendar of the seasons the same way gardening and animal husbandry has seasons. That is part of self-sufficiency, and self-sufficiency is a part of preparedness. But I think beyond self-sufficiency and preparedness, living with the cycle of seasons has a sense of primal completeness. I don't know - I don't think I'm explaining my thoughts very well.

As for the courses, I don't actually interact with anyone through the course. They are really nothing more than lots of material to read online, followed by quizzes, etc. Sometimes there are videos. The benefit to me is the structure. I can read the material, then read chapters from recommended books, then do the projects. And it's done in such a way that I can dip my toes in, then build upon what I learned in the previous lesson. So there is no mentorship, no connection with another human being. But I'm still getting something out of it.

In a way, the real motivation for 'doing' herbal medicine came from their private FB group for students (of all their courses). There was a lot of give and take, sharing and learning going on there. A real gem and a wealth of information. My Evernote screen capture got a serious workout! But in the past couple weeks the group became nothing more than a current events dump as the administration bent over backwards to express its support. Now it's impossible to find anything about herbal medicine on there, and the few people that say "hey, let's talk about herbal medicine on this herbal medicine FB page" get blasted and shamed for their privilege, and the administration allows that. So I left the group.

I was going to apologize because this is a preparations thread, and this post isn't entirely about preparations. But then I thought, actually it is. You know?

current events dump as the administration bent over backwards to express its support. Now it's impossible to find anything about herbal medicine on there, and the few people that say "hey, let's talk about herbal medicine on this herbal medicine FB page" get blasted and shamed for their privilege, and the administration allows that. So I left the group.

I was going to apologize because this is a preparations thread, and this post isn't entirely about preparations. But then I thought, actually it is. You know?

Learning plant medicine is preparation at it's core. But what you describe happened in the fb group... I've seen it before. Many times I've thought "how can they understand plants when they can't function socially with out social media telling them what to think". There is a huge disconnect among many plant people. I can only take them in small doses.

We got some outside stuff done this weekend. We cut and split some wood and hubs got a new fire ring and made up a mesh cooker for brats and burgers over the fire. We already tested it and it works great:)

We put some stuff we don't use often into storage trailers to make more room in the barn. We still need to go in and seal up any cracks though in the trailers, to keep critters out. I'll add some more moth balls too.

We went and got some furniture and equipment that friends didn't want anymore. I got a couple of shelving units and our kid got some almost new furniture. It was a lot of work getting things out and loaded and delivered, but worth it. I'm not going to turn down any shelving units, even if it means giving up my Sunday afternoon to get them.

I put in my order today for jelly jars, lids and rings, and some herbal books (that Peanut recommended). I also ordered another hair cutting kit that will hopefully be better than the last set I got. I also ordered a few supplements since they will deliver for free and I don't have any trips to town planned.

We even got our new American flag mounted up this weekend. I love it! I might have to get me a few more of those to put up around here. It just makes my heart smile. :heart: I ordered some solar lights today to shine on our new flag at night.

Been ordering some spices and putting them in jars and seal saving.
also, tea. Trying to order more beans in bulk but Frankferd Farms is always sold out. Azure doesnt deliver here, unless they ship and it isnt worth it.
what do you do with your beans? Just put in mylar bags, pressure can?
How about a recommendation for a cook book to use fresh ground wheat?

I have a book somewhere but what I've found with fresh ground wheat is that it absorbs water slower. I mix most/all of the flour with the water to soak while I get my ingredients and leave my doughs a bit wetter/stickier than I would with AP flour.

So as I have mentioned, my parents have sold their house and are moving into what is essentially a town home. The new place is approx. 35% the size of the home they owned for 35+ years. So starting about a week ago I am getting daily calls and emails asking if I want stuff as they prepare for a large yard sale, make donations to the Salvation Army, and haul loads to the dump. I don't have a need for a lot of what they are offering, but I have gotten a few items that will go into my preps. Here is the list so far:

Two single station reloaders (shotgun and handgun), powder measures, scale, several dies, primer, powder, shells, shot, bullets, brass, etc.

Some cast iron pots & pants, including a biscuit pan and a 5 quart three-legged pot with a lid.

Three polymer OD Green 5-gallon Jerry cans and two polymer Tan 5-gallon Jerry cans.

A large Eden Pure infrared electric heater and an oil-filled electric radiant heater.

A rack of three large 'heavy duty' grey school lockers with combination locks.

I think my daughters are sick of me asking what they want. I did give youngest daughter our dining room set when she moved to Tucson. We are downsizing, too, kind of. Our farm house is a lot smaller than what we live in now, but it has outbuildings and land. So, all of husband's man cave like stuff that he didn't want to go through is being put in an outbuilding. It was about a large pod full at least. Our last few days here will be a few truckloads to the thrift store. I don't need dishware, pots and pans, towels. Have all that at the farm already. We've been set up there for over 5 yrs now. Our last remaining couch will be picked up in 2 weeks, the other 2 went already. It's really difficult to downsize, and impossible for husband because he refuses to go through anything. We have bedroom switching to do once we get there, and we still need to work with a contractor for a downstairs bedroom and handicapped bathroom build on. We have one more child now than we are set up for...little granddaughter.

We are downsizing as well albeit at the pace of a Glacier. Mostly my wife's teaching stuff/junk, which she parcels out about one large trash bag at a time. She is very proud of herself, but truth be known it is like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic. I don't know if I ever posted it here, but Jimmy Hoffa could be buried in my basement, and nobody will ever find him. Does the term goat's stomach sound familiar? God knows what is in there.

On a more positive note I did buy ammo this weekend. Filling in a few holes where I thought I was short. I bought myself a Fathers' Day present; a 3V Gear Paratus 3 Day Operator Pack. I just got it yesterday, but I like it already. Not sure if I want to convert my BOB or make it a Get Home bag, but I will have fun figuring it out.

We put away some extra long term food in the larder. These riots even have me a little on edge, and I do not scare easily. Be Prepared.

My parents downsizing (and all of yours) has me looking through the house for 'things' we could surely do without. I have a feeling a dumpster and a yard sale are in our near future. Plus my two oldest kids will be taking some furniture and other items that seem to exist to just to occupy space.

I am also going to take a larger portion of preps from my house to the family farm. I see bugging out as an ever growing possibility in the current world. The more there, the less I have to load up or leave behind.

I did that already...moved stuff to the farm. Now with a total of 6 pods going there, don't know where it will all go!
I don't think we're allowed by our governor to have yard sales. Haven't seen any at all. So lots went to our daughters and quite a few truckloads to the thrift store. If it's heavy, I put it out front with a free sign. Goes right away. I noticed three of our neighbors have been doing that , too.

Did my first ever order with a food service wholesaler.
The prices were a bit steep but I got free delivery.
25kg bags of bakers flour and white sugar.
caters packs of chili powder, baking powder and citric acid.
A 5kg block of unsalted butter.
2 A10 tins of chilies.
a 8kg pail of chicken booster/ bullion and a 8kg pail of beef booster.
a 20ltr drum of vegetable oil.
a 20ltr drum of white vinegar.

The delivery should be turning up Monday morning.

Our pantry is packed but I want more LTS food though it is hard to find now. Yesterday when I checked Walmart online they have several LTS items in stock. I was able to order quite a bit. I will keep checking and order more different items as they become available.

We went to town the other day to pick up the truck that had recall work done on it. While we were there we stocked up on heavy stuff since I don't normally take the truck to town.
We filled 3 propane tanks
Got 13 (40#) bags of softner salt
Got 4 more (20#) bags of charcoal
6 cases of beer with $6 rebate per case
4 pairs of summer boots for hubs
2 (6pks) paper towels
1 case of nuts

Earlier in the week I ordered
tattler lids and rings
got some herbal books delivered
got 2 worksite fans with 2 lithium batteries - I LOVE them!!!

While we were at Home Depot I gathered prices on shelving units. I will look online for better prices though.
I filled the car with fuel before the 4th of July holiday since I don't want to be at the gas stations when everyone else is.

I tried to stock up on dog food but the store was all out of the brand I use. I will order the special diet stuff online after the holiday so that delivery schedules will be more consistent. I want to be stocked up on dog food (and pretty much everything else) before November.

Fortuitously I put in a huge online order for groceries we let run low during restrictions to top them up the day before grocery restrictions on toilet paper and paper towel so far have been reinstated.

Here is what I stocked up on with the $74 savings from promos, gift card savings and free grocery card rewards and will pick up the order on Tuesday when we go to a medical appointment -

- 12 x tins of sliced mangoes.
- 12 x tins of diced tomatoes.
- 12 tins of corn kernels.
- 2 x packets of wheat biscuits.
- 4 packets of confectionery.
- 8 blocks of chocolate.
and finally 2 packets of 12 toilet paper which is now on restrictions of 2 packets nationwide.

We seldom even go to the small town near us. Today we did mainly just for something to do. Stopped a yard sale and bought a Deni Jar Vac. I had never heard of them but it vacuum seals jars. It was new in the box for $3. Tried it when we got home and it is powerful and fast. A keeper.
https://www.amazon.com/Deni-1200-JarVac-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B0000BVQBM

Our pantry is packed but I want more LTS food though it is hard to find now. Yesterday when I checked Walmart online they have several LTS items in stock. I was able to order quite a bit. I will keep checking and order more different items as they become available.
Not sure what you are after, but gardens are just coming on. Most produce can be dehydrated and vacuum sealed which lasts almost forever as well as being a larger quantity in less space.

Latest posts

Back