Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garden produce here is possible but unlikely. We are too high and this year was typical. Froze everything, even many things we had covered. To make up for that very bad prepping shortfall I will be really boosting our LTS supplies. This year it looks like the freeze might have killed my apple trees. They leafed out and blossomed then it froze everything off. They re-leafed and it froze all those leaves off. Now its been warm and they show no new growth at all. My new grape vines are dead. Surprisingly I still have 2 blueberry bushes still alive. The other 10 bushes are dead. All my raspberry bushes are dead, froze out.
Year before last we had an excellent garden with lots of produce. That was our only good year.
By next spring I will have a greenhouse but still gardening here will always be an issue. That's why the very large LTS supply. Meat here will never be a problem.
No place is perfect and this place is just an example of that truth.

@hiwall were your trees, bushes and such designed for cooler climates? I was just wondering if you could get plants that are made for colder countries like russia, canada, iceland,states like alaska, etc.

It was just a thought because I know where I live here in WV I can't grow some things that others who live farther south in the state can. They can plant sooner than us and have warmer temps ( most of the time lol)

I'm beginning to think that the growing zones people go by aren't the end all be all you know? I've had failures here with things that were supposed to be easy to grow in my "zone".

@hiwall were your trees, bushes and such designed for cooler climates? I was just wondering if you could get plants that are made for colder countries like russia, canada, iceland,states like alaska, etc.

It was just a thought because I know where I live here in WV I can't grow some things that others who live farther south in the state can. They can plant sooner than us and have warmer temps ( most of the time lol)

I'm beginning to think that the growing zones people go by aren't the end all be all you know? I've had failures here with things that were supposed to be easy to grow in my "zone".
I bought them all from a local nursery so they were all for this area. Well kind of for this area. We are some higher than the closest town.
This did happen to be a very bad year. Had near record high temps for almost two months so everything thought summer was here. Then it froze hard for a few days. Them very warm again for a week or better then froze hard again.
Its okay. It is what it is.

Mother nature has a warped sense of humor which is why prepping is so necessary. I learned long ago that if the garden provides more than I need to can for one year, I can for two years. Eventually the year when that crop fails will come along. Currently our local area is in a drought. It has been difficult to get seeds to germinate. The beets came up beautifully and then the extreme heat along with 30 mph winds dehydrated the plants. Zero beets left. I planted green beans three times before one came up. Planted a row of chard and have one plant. Planted okra twice and now have a nice stand. Radishes and turnips bolted to seed without making roots so I'll have fresh seed if not any thing to eat! At least those two can be replanted later for a fall crop...if we get any rain.

Where can you get LTS foods now? Every web site I tried is "out of stock". I don't buy prepared meals just freeze dried individual foods. Fortunately, food is still available at the grocery store and those canned foods have a much longer life than is stamped on the can. Even with limits on number you can purchase, buying the limit each time you shop will eventually fill your shelves.

Where can you get LTS foods now? Every web site I tried is "out of stock". I don't buy prepared meals just freeze dried individual foods.
I watch Walmart online and order from them as they get in stock. Last week I placed a large order. Stock changes daily.

Our Walmart in town has had some LTS food on the shelves lately - just a couple of cans, but I grab them when I see them!
Ours was delivered today except for two items which are coming tomorrow. Still waiting for a few other items to be in stock so I can order them.
I also plan to make a trip to the closest LDS Food Center soon for additional items. The LDS center is half the price of Walmart but they only carry a few items.

Been busy here with harvesting lots of our vegetables and blanched and froze lots of capsicums, snow peas and carrots and the vegetable freezer is now chocked full with blanched and frozen vegetables should we have grocery restrictions again (likely).

We have also been working on cutting heaps more firewood so our pile is getting enormous and the wood is drying for next year.

With promos and free rewards money on our grocery supermarket card we have topped up on cartons of tinned fruit, vegetables, chocolate baking chips and wet cat food and also a large whole rump that is now sliced and packaged in meal sized portions for the freezer.

So next pension I'll be buying 6 120ltr wheelie bins and two 20kg buckets of Diatomaceous earth so I can store my grain pest free.

Change of plan.

I'll be paying double rent and buying a smallish chest freezer.
I have the opportunity to buy 2 Rex guinea pig boars.
Rex grow over 1 to 1.5 kgs in weight. It's like the difference between a ordinary goat and a meat goat.
I need to stock up on more frozen meat, fish and dairy before they put in more restrictions.

Ours was delivered today except for two items which are coming tomorrow. Still waiting for a few other items to be in stock so I can order them.
I also plan to make a trip to the closest LDS Food Center soon for additional items. The LDS center is half the price of Walmart but they only carry a few items.
Are the LDS centers open again? I wish they had more variety of foods. I am well stocked on just about everything they have, but that is basic food. I guess I am complaining.

I think as far as the LDS centers being open, it probably varies by state. Ours is run by a corrupt Dem so pushing harder and harder to close businesses etc.
Received my second order of Tatler reusable canning lids. They are on sale and I had to place orders a few weeks apart for budgeting. I now have 200 of each regular and wide mouth 😁. Also got a couple more bags of sugar- never spoils.

I just ordered 2 tons of firewood that will be delivered on Sunday afternoon.
This will be burnt in the tent stove I brought recently.

I'm getting my ducks in a row while I have money to do it.

Not just money but also resources that are still available. We are running out of things and I don't see some coming back anytime soon.

@Weedygarden I'm going to say probably not open yet on the LDS food centers. May be very soon, but I will see if I can find out anything. I know the employment centers were still closed as of yesterday.
The one by us is only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I was going to call today to see if they were open and I forgot. Hopefully I'll remember this Saturday.

I just thought of something this morning. Before all the hoopla, I had been going through things and purging. I have a stack of things to go to donation. I slacked off (ahem, quit) going through things when I couldn't take things to wherever as donations. I think it's good to purge while we can. From a prepping point to know what you have, where it is, and in what condition. I can't even say what items I've come across that either need a minor repair, to go in the garbage, or just get put away in the proper place so it can be found if needed. Anyhoo, just thought I'd pop in and say it's not all about gathering. Sometimes to prep is to get rid of.

Added and oximeter to the supplies. I have a BP machine already. Just think its a good thing to have here at home

Also added more sugar
rice
pastas
canned veggies
canned meat
can of shortening
paper products
crackers I plan to vacuum seal
also been freezing sweet peppers. Next batch I'll be dehydrating for longer storage

I have four wood stoves to feed, 2 large [2,000 sq ft] and 2 small [800] so I will buy about 10-12 cords of wood and all the slabs I can get at the Amish sawmill. They charge me $5.00 a load so not too bad.
Sam

I have wanted to get some mace for both daughter and I for a long time, just didn't follow through. I saw some at my local Ace Hardware and got one for each of us.

I bought 2 at a gun show years back
What I want to get is bear spray. Its supposed to be even worse than mace lol and it shoots farther
I also have a lipstick stun gun that I carry at all times in my pocket. 8 million volts. it'll make you let go

I bought 2 at a gun show years back
What I want to get is bear spray. Its supposed to be even worse than mace lol and it shoots farther
I also have a lipstick stun gun that I carry at all times in my pocket. 8 million volts. it'll make you let go
Bear spray can cause respiratory arrest, unless it can be a lethal assault you could be charged with a felony in using bear spray. For protecting the inside of your home is ...hornet spray. People come to your home and see the spray and think nothing about it.
Sam

Bear spray can cause respiratory arrest, unless it can be a lethal assault you could be charged with a felony in using bear spray. For protecting the inside of your home is ...hornet spray. People come to your home and see the spray and think nothing about it.
Sam
yea yea yea. I'll chance it. And I'm not talking home defense. Home defense I have a 45 and a shotgun. You break in, you ain't comin for tea honey and I'll take your kneecaps off. Where I live we have Castle Law. I'm talking in my vehicle against some crazy ass stranger coming at me. Not gonna happen for long if I spray their ass.

I'm not gonna worry with legal crap if my life is being threatened

Sam

They can charge us with a felony for not taking the beating they dish out,:waiting: so I'd rather take my chances with thier lives instead of mine.:brewing:

yea yea yea. I'll chance it. And I'm not talking home defense. Home defense I have a 45 and a shotgun. You break in, you ain't comin for tea honey and I'll take your kneecaps off. Where I live we have Castle Law. I'm talking in my vehicle against some crazy ass stranger coming at me. Not gonna happen for long if I spray their ass.

I'm not gonna worry with legal crap if my life is being threatened
You really are the Dragonlady!
applause.gif

They can charge us with a felony for not taking the beating they dish out,:waiting: so I'd rather take my chances with thier lives instead of mine.:brewing:

The county prosecutor here is quite "Progressive" to say the least. Inside your home they "should" be bought and paid for, outside is another story. My shoulder rig has a Sig P220/45 with a canister of pepper spray as a first deterrent if lethal is not called for at that time. I am lucky with the various physical training that I have had over the years. I also have an expandable walking staff that I can use to help "steady" myself especially in snow. For me it can also double as a baton that I trained with. Innocent looking, yet affective for my needs. Big thing it TO PUT THE CELL PHONE DOWN AND BE OBSERVANT! I dealt with criminal clients for over twenty years and learned what not to do to avoid being a "mark" and hitable.

Back