Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Kat soaks her beans, rinses them, puts them in jars With Water and then pressure cooks them. How much of the soaked beans do you put in your jars Kat?

How do you do the paper bricks?

I have a brick press. I soak the paper shreds in water til it is pulp mush then load the press and squeeze the water out. The bricks will then dry outside in the 100 degree heat.

A number of city people shopping in our little Amish/Menno salvage store today. Only takes 7 cars to fill up the parking lot. Bought some more canned carrots, peas, some meat sauces, lettuce, some bulk dry mixes, and a 30# box of bartlett pears. We'll eat some fresh, and I'll freeze some till I find time to can them.

Added another 12 jars of organic PB to the stock. Also got 12 lbs of bacon 😮, and some organic frozen veggies that I haven’t seen since before the Pretendemic. Otherwise a few little things here and there. One other bit is my MIL gave me some more jars 😁. I’m so grateful! They are old half gallon short squarish wide mouth which are fabulous for storing things. Canned about a dozen pints of tomatoes and more to go.

Just a update on my massive $600 online grocery delivery haul.

I got everything I ordered. But, would you believe I forgot to get rice?!?
Oh well, apart from that I'm very happy with the haul.
The beef links I canned from the haul I did in two different ways -
the first lot I par boiled and then canned and the second lot I just canned raw and they both turned out fantastic though the raw packed did have more grease in the bottom of the jar.
For the sheer time saving in raw packing I'll be raw packing from now on.
When SHTF I think I'll be very grateful for the extra calories.

Just a update on my massive $600 online grocery delivery haul.

I got everything I ordered. But, would you believe I forgot to get rice?!?
Oh well, apart from that I'm very happy with the haul.
The beef links I canned from the haul I did in two different ways -
the first lot I par boiled and then canned and the second lot I just canned raw and they both turned out fantastic though the raw packed did have more grease in the bottom of the jar.
For the sheer time saving in raw packing I'll be raw packing from now on.
When SHTF I think I'll be very grateful for the extra calories.
Plus fat is an important part of a healthy diet.

Well I got a phone call. Freezer mark II is NOT going to be delivered. The excuse was that they, the supplier, had ordered 10 of the model I ordered and the factory only delivered 5...SOOOOOO, I'm still on back order.
I filled my 6 wheelie bins with doctored grain but it looks like I'm going to need at least 6 more bins.
I didn't realize I could only fit 3 20kg bags per bin.
Look's like next pension I'll be buying more bins.

Sorry Tank-Girl, it's a pain when you can't get what you need in a timely manner. Parts of my project have arrived months late and it has thrown much of my work into a tail spin.

I have been ordering online from Cost... I found that I could get a bail of TP and some other staples and the shipping was free as long as I spent more than $75. But they limit you to 1 bail per order.... I broke down my orders into $75 lots so I could stock up on TP over time....

I used cheap on sale ice-chests to store some of my grains (rice and oats mostly) and our flour. We seal-a-meal pack the rice and oats, put it in the chest and place them directly on the floor under the shelves I made. I like the fact that they are water tight in case we flood the basement. We keep our whole grains in buckets lined with mylar bags, I only keep out a few pounds to grind into flour when needed.

This is our venison barley soup in the making....
1598399847595.jpeg

We canned potato leek soup and it came out a little thin and bitter, does anyone have a good recipe for home canned potato leek soup? We currently have 3 good go-to home canned soup recipes but are constantly looking for more. When the cook is sick, you can warm up a jar, add some frozen veggies and you are good to go in a flash. Anyway if anyone has a good home-canned soup recipe, I'd love to see it...

While eating breakfast I was looking around and found several recipes for canned soups and one site that had a number of them that are on our list to make: I figured I'd share PRESSURE CANNING RECIPES I can't vouch for their quality, but hey between them and the Ball Book we should be able to work something out.

At our house we have his and hers copies of the Ball Book because we can’t agree on where to put it up.

Stocked more canned goods we eat and use for cooking.
Also bought more cans of tomato sauce to dehydrate and then powder for longer storage.
Stocked up on some country flavored sausage brats for suppers since they were marked down to less than $3 a package
Rotated through some of the gas we had stored and used a 40 cents off a gallon of gas to refill the cans. Cans are full and 2 vehicles are full

I discovered that gallon vinegar jugs fit under the spare room bed so will be grabbing a few more gallons. Also thought of something else I need to stock up on- razor blades. I have an okay working supply but should probably have more than I do so will put that on the list.
I did get a couple lg bottles of activated charcoal this morning to add to the stocks.

New freezer eta is this Friday.
Yeah, we'll believe it when it's delivered and makes it onto the property safely, is plugged and working.

I've about had it with this company.
The company rep on the phone offered me a more expensive freezer for the same price as the one I ordered but his attitude and tone of voice was just appalling.
He kept rabbiting on how the company was taking a hit on the price difference but they were prepared to do it.
Geesh...you swear they were offering me a kidney at gun point.
Grudging doesn't come close to the tone and attitude used.
I still have no idea if I'm getting the more expensive freezer, and I have no idea if it's a larger size, or the model I ordered.
At the moment I guess I should be grateful for small mercies I'm getting a darn freezer at all but the whole business has left a sour taste in my mouth.
I won't be buying from them again.

Got my order today for the antibiotics I had ordered. Got three different ones that we have used in the past with no issues so everyone should be good if they have to take any again. Have to be very careful with antibiotics if you have never taken that exact one before.

Got the large propane tank filled today and the other 100 gallon when they move it from the present location. This is for my generator as I have a dual fuel. Brought in 1/2 cord of firewood and have a dump truck to be delivered on Friday. Slowly getting there.

Just added some jello mixes and plain gelatin
Also added more potato flakes since I found out that you can add them to your bread machine or as an egg substitute in baking and you can use them to make cookies.
Also added some more pudding mixes. I can make it from scratch but until I have to I'll use the instant kind from the store lol

Dunno where to put this so I'll put it here....

I just brought a Bear Cruzer G2 compound bow, 12 high quality carbon arrows that are being customized to my short draw length and a release aid.

The world is is going to hell in a hand basket and so I NEED to get tooled up while I can.

It was a bit of a drama to find a on-line seller who actually had stock available ( even though their web-sites said they had stock that wasn't always the case).
After several phone calls finally found a supplier who not only had stock but walked me though the selection process, figured out my draw and arrow length and was prepared to customize my arrows and fully tune my bow before sending it.
Today's exercise cost me $820 AUD and I consider it money well spent.

Dunno where to put this so I'll put it here....

I just brought a Bear Cruzer G2 compound bow, 12 high quality carbon arrows that are being customized to my short draw length and a release aid.

The world is is going to hell in a hand basket and so I NEED to get tooled up while I can.

It was a bit of a drama to find a on-line seller who actually had stock available ( even though their web-sites said they had stock that wasn't always the case).
After several phone calls finally found a supplier who not only had stock but walked me though the selection process, figured out my draw and arrow length and was prepared to customize my arrows and fully tune my bow before sending it.
Today's exercise cost me $820 AUD and I consider it money well spent.
Sounds like a nice rig, I started out with a used bow and it took me a long time to get comfortable. Did you get some practice points and a target? I always mark (number) my arrows with a sharpie so if one flies funny I can cull it. Developing the muscle memory without injuring yourself is important, don’t over do it. My right shoulder is only good for about a dozen shots before I start paying a heavy price… Getting older is not good for the joints.

Oldest sister asked if she needs to get a gun? For what? She's read that "they" are going to start coming out into the rural areas to riot. She's single and worried. I suggested a 38 caliber revolver but warned her she is several months behind the current panic buying period. Firearms and ammo is hard to find and then over priced.

I got another case of olives. That was one of the things that we couldn’t get during the panic. We could live without them, but I’d rather have them than not 😊
@Tank-Girl That’s good- if you’re going to spend the money, you should be fitted for the proper bow and set up. Also, hope you got your freezer. Our beef has been butchered so am guessing about the end of the month we’ll get to pick it up.

How do you preserve baking powder and soda so they will still make fluffy and light items?
Baking soda, just keep it dry. In a sealed container is best. Baking powder has a shorter life span. You can make it from baking soda and...arrowroot, I think. These both have a long shelf life if kept cool and dry.

Added more to the supplements we both take. Have enough right now to get through to the new year ( but I'll add more as I can if they're on the shelf).
Added more canned foods.
Added more pastas.
Added more Knorr seasoned rice that hubby likes ( and I haven't figured out how to duplicate yet like the other flavors lol).
Added more dehydrated greens and vacuum sealed them for storage.
Added more paper products.

I've been building up my medical supplies. Every time I put in a grocery order I add a couple of things like acetaminophen, cold and flu pills, cough drops, Listerine and Vicks salve. Now I have to focus on bandaids and bandages, Neosporin, etc. plus a vaporizer. I don't use honey but I'll get a bottle of that, too, for cuts.

Latest posts

Back