Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, FINALLY fitted a bolt and padlock to the downstairs laundry door this morning.

Unknown to me Yesterday the wind had blown open the door and I wondered why my drug selling neighbor was standing on his back door step taking so much interest .....I had a quick look and yeah, he was looking straight into my laundry which doubles as a storage for my tools and garden equipment.

Time to lock the toys away from the dumb kids.

I have been watching and reading reviews for Reccon 1's MRE meal replacement powders.
They also have a range of MRE lite in the same flavors.

Each serve consists of 4 scoops and a total of 500+ calories.
I'm a small female and my calorie requirements are less than that of a guy so I dare say I could cut this down to a half serve/ 2 scoops and be fine or adjust the amount of scoops according to stress and activity levels.

You don't need milk, just filtered/ potable water and I'm thinking that these would be awesome in the event of a shtf / natural disaster event were cooking isn't practical.
Yeah the tubs are HUGE but there's nothing written in stone that the powder has to stay in the tub if you are rucking out.
From the reviews I'll be def. be getting the blueberry cobbler and the banana nut bread flavors.
I wanted something that I could add hot, warm or cold water to and have it be tasty and comforting and not be cloying.
https://www.suppkings.com.au/product/redcon1-mre-best-price-online/

So, today is pension day and I've made a decision to buy a wireless, wifi security camera that sends notifications to my phone and records footage.
Personally have had a gut full of my drugged up next door neighbor coming in my yard.
I'm really stuck because a confrontation is bad for someone my size against someone that is high.
My PTSD and hyper vigilance makes life difficult enough as it is.
Then there's the whole issue of contacting the police and dealing with the court system........can you say triggered?
I'm hoping that the camera footage will be a less dangerous, less painful, less confrontational way of gathering evidence and submitting it to the police.
If I take the footage to the police rather than have them attend I'm hoping that will be easier on the nerves.

I'm buying a axe for my firewood and my potatoes are starting to flower so I need a new garden fork because the last one snapped.
I also want to get a lockable fuel cap for my car for the above reasons.

So, the update is.......no security camera because they were out of stock.
No garden forks because they were out of stock.
I got a axe but once I got out into my wood pile realized I should have brought a maul.
No lockable fuel caps.

I got a LOT of groceries and I brought 40 ltrs of fuel for my generator because they are forecasting sever storms over the weekend and early next week.

I did, however get a awesome lead on a possible litter of very good stumpy tailed red Smithfeild cattle dogs that are due any day.
This line is vicious and breed to deal with wild cattle. Their loyalty is second to none.
Every one that I have spoken to who owns a pup of this line has spoken about the fact that no one gets into their house yard and they are ruthless in herding wild bulls.

Sounds like the right dog for me.
red smithfeild.JPG

This past week I dtiched some stuff in the barn that is no longer useful to make room for things that are.

I made a trip to town and bought a 40# bag of sunflower seed at TS. If the winter is going to be as harsh as predicted, I want to make sure I have plenty of seed for the birds. It could also be used as bait for critters if needed, but I doubt things will get that bad. Hubs is also going to make a trip to a local farmer and get some corn in burlap bags. While he is there I told him to pick me up a couple more bags of sunflower seed if he has any. I also give away sunflower seed for Christmas gifts. Although, this year I might be stingy with it and give something else instead. Typically around here, that seed goes on sale on Black Friday, but this year who knows?

While I was in town, I got a few more things to top off the stock. I got a couple more packs of TP from Aldi that I don't really need, but if we go thru the great TP disappearence again, I'm sure I have family members who won't have much.....again. I also found some chili beans and tomato sauce on sale and bought a case of each since we eat a lot of chili in the winter and I didn't want to put a dent in my pantry of what I already have. I also grabbed some more bouillon cubes even though I don't really need them b/c we make a lot of crock pot meals in the winter too.

I have an eye out for Christmas gifts since I don't know what deals will be available this year. Thus far, the only thing I found this trip was a reduced price puzzle. There just aren't many sales or clearances out there right now:(

We've always had blue versions of that dog, and have one now that's getting up in age. His name is Chookie. Cattle dogs in urban environments have their own challenges.
What happened to Death, Tank Girl? I must of missed that.

Death, unfortunately had to go back to his breeders due to no real fault of his own.
The breeders were CRAZY control addicts who wanted to micro manage everything I did with him even though money was exchanged and the dog was mine.
Yeah, nah. Nope that doesn't work for me.
They got their dog back and I got a full refund.
I expect that when I pay money for something be it a dog, toaster or car I own the damned thing free and clear.
These people obviously didn't understand the concept but I did try to educate them before I handed the dog over and I managed, mostly, to keep my temper. There was a lot of grit teeth and white knuckles involved and silent prayers for calm and patience.

Went to the Costco Business Center to do a little shopping. They are the one place that I know I can buy beans in a larger bag. The other Costco's still do not have large bags of beans, that I have found, and I know this place had them. I got 25 pounds of pinto beans. They also have 50 pound bags, as well as 25 pound bags of black beans, red beans, and garbanzo beans. Then I found out that the Costco that I usually go to has had a COVID outbreak amongst employees. Glad I thought of buying beans!

I started to put together a Medical bag. This is an expanded first aid kit; kind of an adjunct to the Bug Out Bag. More complete than an IFAK and larger. My plan is to have everything together if I had to grab and go. When it is finished I will post contents.

Last edited:
We cut a path to a spring on our property that produces water year round. Good to have as a backup to our well. We had a decent snowfall yesterday and tested it out. It took just over 25 minutes to walk to it, get the water, and pull 10 gallons (in two 5 gallon containers) on a sled to our place. We do have manual backups to our well pump, but the spring is a backup for that. A good earthquake could compromise the well.

Good plan, but an earthquake could also stop the spring too... just a thought. ;)

Our 7.0 loused up my next-door neighbours well but not ours. The distance between the water sources can make the difference and increase the odds that at least one will produce good water. Still, having a good water filter is prudent incase both are fouled.

We cut a path to a spring on our property that produces water year round. Good to have as a backup to our well. We had a decent snowfall yesterday and tested it out. It took just over 25 minutes to walk to it, get the water, and pull 10 gallons (in two 5 gallon containers) on a sled to our place. We do have manual backups to our well pump, but the spring is a backup for that. A good earthquake could compromise the well.

Is developing that spring an option?

If it flows year round then even in Alaska, it may not freeze up.

Ben

That is a possibility. It’s 1/4 mile and significantly downhill of my place. The spot where I pulled the water from should produce all winter per the person who said they got water from that spot year round. That was from a time back in the 1960/70s and I don’t think much has changed.

Good plan, but an earthquake could also stop the spring too... just a thought. ;)

Agreed, but hopefully I just increased the odds in my favor by adding another source.

Speaking of earthquakes, Alaska just had a 7.5 magnitude one a few hours ago. Too far from me to mean anything.

Bought a metal shelving unit today with 5 shelves to use with grow lights to sprout seedlings in the spring and to try to grow some greens over the winter. I have three shop lights to use, just need to change out the bulbs to grow light bulbs. I'll probably get a couple more shop lights and grow light bulbs once I get it set up. I used to have timers many years ago, but I will get a new one to regulate the light. I considered getting two shelves, but decided to start with one shelf.

Seeded more lettuce, spinach, chard, and radish in big pots and put in the greenhouse. Put some wheat on to soak in there for wheat grass, and moved all my sunflower sprouting jars in there. The sprouts and grasses are for the chickens. Hoorah! Have power in the milkhouse now. Both rooms. Power was inspected and safety stuff put in for the attic. Now it's ready for the insulation. Our contractor, my favorite cousin's son has covid right now. It'll be delayed a little while.

That is a possibility. It’s 1/4 mile and significantly downhill of my place. The spot where I pulled the water from should produce all winter per the person who said they got water from that spot year round. That was from a time back in the 1960/70s and I don’t think much has changed.
If you have enough flow you can use a hydraulic ram pump driven by the spring to pump to your place.

Ben

Over the last couple of weeks I have planted capsicum, beans and cucumbers and blanched and frozen broad beans for the freezer and dehydrated a dozen eggs for the food storage room to use in case of emergencies.

We also purchased a full trailer ramp and had it fitted to our trailer to make it easier to get the ride on mower and other equipment in there.

Asked a plumber to come out and give us a quote to put in a pump to pump water from the creek at the back of the property and by chance found we already have a pipe going from the front to the back of the property already dug in. It will be a simple matter of installing a pump in the tank stand shed and putting pipe through the existing pipe to the creek and then we have access to water in there too when it rains to water fruit trees and the like.

Made another trip to town earlier this week b/c I'm getting that unsettled feeling......yet again. I went and dropped a few hundred bucks and stocked the car full. I thought I had already picked up all the 'heavy' stuff. Nope, I felt the need to pick up another 40# bag of sunflower seed, 50# bag of dog food, 30# critter mineral block, a big file fire safe, and a couple more cases of gatorade and beer. I also pretty much figured that this might be my last trip to town before the election, so I just grabbed anything I was debating on.

I got a bucket full of Tomcat poision blocks with a dozen of the poison feeder boxes so the dogs can't get into them. The mice this year are insane! We winterized the camper and a bunch of other equipment and put everything in storage for the winter. Those poison blocks will be peppered throughout the storage areas.

I topped off a bunch of stuff that I don't really need, but will be glad to have if I can't get out for a long time. I got shampoo, epsom salt, tin baking pans, hand soap, napkins, plastic utinsils, and starting fluid. I also bought frozen chicken, pepper, nuts, gum, salad dressings, olive oil, cheese, hard candy, and buscuit mix. With the plethora of coffee and coffee filters stocked to the ceiling......I should be good to go. I feel better about my haul this week, but it seems like that feeling has been fleeting lately.

I can NOT wait until this election is OVER! I'd rather be planning my winter vacation instead of stocking my pantry to the rafters and filling my freezers.

I've been doing the same. Had an overflowing cart from Krogers yesterday. Today I loaded up a Dollar Tree cart. Then took mom shopping at the Menno Thrift store and found some stuff. She wanted to buy "tools" at our little town's hardware store. She came out with a spade. I came out with more sticky traps. Have a box of snap traps, and a bag of poison bait already. I feel the need to keep on stacking stuff, even though we are stacked. I did find oven cleaner at the Dollar Tree. Now we'll see if it's any good. I keep buying the grandkids warm socks wherever I see them. Both granddaughters got a few new pairs today. Bought a big bag of fun chapter books for little granddaughter to read when the weather gets cold. Paid 75 cents for the whole bag at the thrift store. And a large ziplock full of stationery and blank cards for a couple of bucks. Both granddaughters love to write letters.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I picked up a few more boxes of freezer bags and a flat of pesto (um yeah that's a necessity!) 😂 Grabbed another bag of dog food and bunny food. I've been looking for jeans for me at thrift shops but no luck (I won't wear the ones that are all ripped up or that are 90% spandex etc.) Have also been stocking up on spices as $$ allows. I figure anything that comes from over seas might get sketchy.

Been quite awhile since I've posted, I was fortunate to have work over the summer while most of my coworkers didn't. It was a terrible shift with overtime so I was never home, but it got us thru while my wife's shop was closed due to Covid. We've kept the larder and freezer full. Starting a new batch of cheddar cheese tomorrow. My last couple batches were softer mozzarella and mascarpone cheeses. Found some dehydrated #10 cans of Rice and chicken terryaki and meat lasagna at half price for the BOL. Downsized my chicken operation, actually a fox did so I started over a little smaller. Found a supplier of chicken feed thru our prepper group who is cheaper than our local stores and I don't have to wear a mask to buy from him. Keeping my ammo stocked and dry. Everything is slowly getting back to normal so I should be updating more.

Last night we had the heaviest October snow in 100 years so today was mostly just clean up and plowing the road. Digging out the tire chains, etc. Stuff that I should have done last week but normal don't have to do for another month.

FvQX2YW.jpg

m1vx9U9.jpg

1jUPl3P.jpg

Bought a metal shelving unit today with 5 shelves to use with grow lights to sprout seedlings in the spring and to try to grow some greens over the winter. I have three shop lights to use, just need to change out the bulbs to grow light bulbs. I'll probably get a couple more shop lights and grow light bulbs once I get it set up. I used to have timers many years ago, but I will get a new one to regulate the light. I considered getting two shelves, but decided to start with one shelf.

When I was using shop lights I thought about buying grow light Tubes, but they seemed expensive. I looked up a few and noted the light frequency of them, then I went to HD and got some ~60-64K daylight tubes at half the price. Plants didn't seem to care much... But that was several years ago, things might be different now...

When I was using shop lights I thought about buying grow light Tubes, but they seemed expensive. I looked up a few and noted the light frequency of them, then I went to HD and got some ~60-64K daylight tubes at half the price. Plants didn't seem to care much... But that was several years ago, things might be different now...
Yes. I think the options are getting better. I am not close to buying my lights yet. I'm in a busy time now. I have some newer shop lights that I put into the garage a year or two ago (not installed) that had been used when I was helping a friend set up her artist studio. I will re-watch the videos, make notes about what kind of bulbs I need and then go shopping. I may order them online, by maybe not.

Last edited:
Been quite awhile since I've posted, I was fortunate to have work over the summer while most of my coworkers didn't. It was a terrible shift with overtime so I was never home, but it got us thru while my wife's shop was closed due to Covid. We've kept the larder and freezer full. Starting a new batch of cheddar cheese tomorrow. My last couple batches were softer mozzarella and mascarpone cheeses. Found some dehydrated #10 cans of Rice and chicken terryaki and meat lasagna at half price for the BOL. Downsized my chicken operation, actually a fox did so I started over a little smaller. Found a supplier of chicken feed thru our prepper group who is cheaper than our local stores and I don't have to wear a mask to buy from him. Keeping my ammo stocked and dry. Everything is slowly getting back to normal so I should be updating more.
You make your own mascarpone!?!😮 Would you be willing to share that recipe?
@Aerindel Do you mind if I ask what state you are in - or part of the country? Looks like a beautiful area even deeply covered.
Hubby is so cute. I think it was last week, he went to put on a pair of pants that were pretty ragged and said he was going to need more pants. I went in the spare room and came back and handed him a pair. This morning he had another religious (holey😊) pair on and informed me he would probably still need another pair or two because that pair and another wouldn't even hold a tape measure on the pocket. I went back in the spare room and came out and handed him 2 more pair. Told him as I see his size, I've been trying to get them here and there since they will only stock 2 of any one size and can't special order them. He took them to the bedroom and then said "Oh, if I put my laundry away I guess I'd have more too." 😂 Now I will have to look again to replenish the reserve.

You make your own mascarpone!?!😮 Would you be willing to share that recipe?
@Aerindel Do you mind if I ask what state you are in - or part of the country? Looks like a beautiful area even deeply covered.

North West Montana

Latest posts

Back