Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's one might think about. I just went into Joann's to get some quilting needles. They have almost no needles in stock! I did find some over in the quilting section, but inventory there was also very low. If things really get ugly, probably a good idea to have at least a simple sewing kit on hand.

So here's one might think about. I just went into Joann's to get some quilting needles. They have almost no needles in stock! I did find some over in the quilting section, but inventory there was also very low. If things really get ugly, probably a good idea to have at least a simple sewing kit on hand.
I havent been to Joanns for awhile. I do know when covid first started I called the local quilt store and she was open! I ran in there like no other, grabbed needles and thread and she said thread at that time wasnt being fulfilled. Better check my sewing stuff. You can not ever have enough crafting items.

This was the first time I'd been in since all the hoopla started. I tried our local quilt shop and they only had 2 pks. of one size. :rolleyes: I got 1 pk. but they are larger than I typically use. Ridiculous for a quilt shop not to have quilting needles in my opinion.

I thought I was all set for winter until I realized I hadn't gotten my snow tires put on. So, earlier in the week I made another trip to town to get the tires changed out. Hubs is too busy to do it, so I just had it done and used it as an excuse to top off more stuff before the election. I actually found a few deals too, so that paid for my gas.

I used my last flood light in stock for the front house lights, so I found some clearanced light bulbs and snatched them up. I consider flood lights a security measure, in addition to looking out to see what kind of weather we are getting when it's dark. This winter is supposed to be rough.

I picked up some blue ammo boxes at WM for $5 in the craft section. They didn't have any of the grey ones in the regular ammo section....only the metal ones for $13.

Other things I topped off before more lockdowns are on top of us......b/c you just KNOW they are coming.

* more beer.....the packages say they are best until March.....I sure hope so b/c we have lots!
* 2 more cases powerade zero b/c it was on sale
* low carb snack bars - several boxes of different flavors
* dry onion soup mix - used for roasts in the crock pot.....tis the season!
* underwear - didn't really need them but will put in storage
* 4 big bottles of shampoo - had coupons and it was on sale
* french fried onions - for green bean casseroles (these can go stale rather quickly so I only got a couple)
* TP & PT - don't need it but I was at Aldi and had room in the cart
* paint for winter projects (on clearance for $1.79 per can)
* pork loins and shrimp for the freezer
* pistachios
* raisins
* moisture absorbers for the basement that were on clearance

I also found a good deal locally on a set of tires for the golf cart a while ago. We use it a lot in the spring and summer, so I'm glad to have a good set since the ones that are on it now are getting bald. We'll probably paint the rims and change those out as one of our winter projects.

I completed my Medical bag, well 99%. There are a few holes that need to be filled, but nothing major. I am calling it a Medical Bag for lack of a better term. I have tried to include many toiletry items, especially for my wife, so if we had to grab and go we would be minimally inconvenienced.

Medical/IFAK
Alcohol 70%
Peroxide
OTC meds - Aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Immodium, Tums
Neosporin
Bandages
Band Aids
Ace Bandage
Splint
Petroleum Jelly
Hand Sanitizer
Aloe
Q Tips
Face Masks
Vinyl Gloves
Cotton Balls
Dental Floss
Cayenne Pepper
Prescription meds
Tape
Super Glue
Blood clot

Toiletries
Hairbrush
Combs
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Soap
Shampoo
Bobby Pins
Hair Bands
Safety Pins
Nail clipper
Tweezers
Scissors
Sewing Kit
Razors
Shaving cream
Toilet paper
Kleenex

Incidentals
Gold Bond Powder
Insect Repellant
Whistle
Cordage
Empty Zip Lock bags
Spare glasses

I tried to look at the bathroom and the medicine chest to see what we would need if we had to flee. I like to think I now have at least most of it all in one bag. This is not a suitcase. It is a small duffel/shoulder bag about 12 x 10 x 8. Very manageable and easy to carry or store. At least it makes me feel better.

I just brought 2 tubs of Redcon 1's MRE lite meal replacement in Banana Nut Bread and Blueberry Cobbler.

Each serve has 2 grams of fat and zero cholesterol per serve.

This will be perfect for meals when I run out of puff.
It's a no brainer where I can prepare a meal without weighing everything and trying to figure out fat contents of everything to get a percentage.

@Tank-Girl How is it going over there? Are you able to get things somewhat regularly now/yet?
I just placed an Azure standard order for kidney beans, garlic powder and cheese. Last craze, cheese was unavailable for a while (it's organic.) Otherwise, I think we are set okay for winter so have just been trying to keep up and replace what we use.

@Tank-Girl How is it going over there? Are you able to get things somewhat regularly now/yet?
I just placed an Azure standard order for kidney beans, garlic powder and cheese. Last craze, cheese was unavailable for a while (it's organic.) Otherwise, I think we are set okay for winter so have just been trying to keep up and replace what we use.

Things are stocked to normal levels but shopping is a chore now because I have to stop and read darn labels and try to find alternatives low fat versions of what I normally buy and they're normally twice the price and half the volume.
I brought kangaroo in steaks and ground because they are so low in fat. I paid over $14.90 per kilo for both and good ground beef is $10 per kilo.

I consider any tools a prepping must, even power tools so I'll put this here...

I got my chainsaw out of the shop today. It needed new filters etc. I ran it a few moments when I got home, ran better than it has in a year. For $76 it’d better run good.

I also got dad a new weedeater, a Husqvarna model 525. The 300 series are models for home use and have a cable drive. The 500 series are the professional models with shaft drive. He wanted one that could use a metal cutting blade. Husqvarna only recommended metal blade use with the 500 series (warranty).

We had used the old weedeater in a 200-tree peach orchard, around the shop, barns and fences… for almost 20 years, got our money out of it. We still need one for the shop, barns, corrals, etc, a bit more than “home use”.

While I was spending cash I got a cheap 5 inch bench grinder, we’ve need one for years. Dad made the old one, it was belt driven with a motor he took out of an old washing machine. He used it for 30 years until the motor bearings wore out. A new one was on sale for $27 at harbor freight, Chicago Tools brand. It was nice of the Chinese to name a city after one of ours! :rolleyes: I got a wire wheel for it also.

Bench Grinder sm.JPG

I consider any tools a prepping must, even power tools so I'll put this here...

I got ...

. A new one was on sale for $27 at harbor freight, Chicago Tools brand. It was nice of the Chinese to name a city after one of ours! :rolleyes: I got a wire wheel for it also.

View attachment 52818

Harbor Freight

Cheap tools cheap. Between my brother and he have a big collection from HF.

Sea Story Time

Before HF had brick and mortar stores they rented out ballrooms in hotels and set up folding tables for displays of all of tools. We would fill out a form with the numbers for each tool and then pay for the tools on the way out. Outside in the parking lot there trailers where could pick up the tools.

I got there early and on the way out I met my father, sister,and brother coming in.

Tools are in our genes.

Ben

Tools are definitely preps. Be sure you have enough bar and chain oil on hand too. Oh and the gas additive. (I might have grabbed a couple extra not so long ago ;))
Many preppers have enough guns and ammo for the clan but do they have enough shovels?

After all we hope to never have to use the former but will probably be using the later quite a bit.

Ben

I completed my Medical bag, well 99%. There are a few holes that need to be filled, but nothing major. I am calling it a Medical Bag for lack of a better term. I have tried to include many toiletry items, especially for my wife, so if we had to grab and go we would be minimally inconvenienced.

Medical/IFAK
Alcohol 70%
Peroxide
OTC meds - Aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl, Immodium, Tums
Neosporin
Bandages
Band Aids
Ace Bandage
Splint
Petroleum Jelly
Hand Sanitizer
Aloe
Q Tips
Face Masks
Vinyl Gloves
Cotton Balls
Dental Floss
Cayenne Pepper
Prescription meds
Tape
Super Glue
Blood clot

Toiletries
Hairbrush
Combs
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Soap
Shampoo
Bobby Pins
Hair Bands
Safety Pins
Nail clipper
Tweezers
Scissors
Sewing Kit
Razors
Shaving cream
Toilet paper
Kleenex

Incidentals
Gold Bond Powder
Insect Repellant
Whistle
Cordage
Empty Zip Lock bags
Spare glasses

I tried to look at the bathroom and the medicine chest to see what we would need if we had to flee. I like to think I now have at least most of it all in one bag. This is not a suitcase. It is a small duffel/shoulder bag about 12 x 10 x 8. Very manageable and easy to carry or store. At least it makes me feel better.
I'm impressed. I also know that if you went shopping and purchased all or almost all new items, you spent some money.

I am surprised it all fit in that size bag. I bought a large tackle box and also have a duffel bag, but feel like I could use a larger bag to store it all.

Some day my prince...err... Backhoe will come.

But first I upgrade my milling machine and lathe.
;)

Ben
Like most people people now days I want it all :)
I'm still learning on my lathe and milling machine(even though I've had them for 30 years) so I'll wait to upgrade.

I'm impressed. I also know that if you went shopping and purchased all or almost all new items, you spent some money.

I am surprised it all fit in that size bag. I bought a large tackle box and also have a duffel bag, but feel like I could use a larger bag to store it all.
Store it, sure. But it would be too heavy to lift for some of us, ok, me.
@hiwall is feeling blue for no backhoe. I don't have one either. I don't even have a 4WD. Or motorcycle. Or wheelbarrow. But that's ok. Y'all amaze me. I've done the best I can.

@hiwall is feeling blue for no backhoe. I don't have one either. I don't even have a 4WD. Or motorcycle. Or wheelbarrow. But that's ok. Y'all amaze me. I've done the best I can.
Mine is not that heavy, because some things are just bulky. I have 2 bags because it takes up room.

Your response made me curious, so I checked. The bag is actually 15 x 10 x 8; a little bigger, but not much. If all of the items were purchased at one time it probably would run into some money. This is an accumulation of purchases and a compilation of kits over some years. Most of these items don't have a shelf life, so that is not a concern. The things that do have a shelf life get rotated.

Many of the items are travel size, which keeps the cost, space required, and weight down. Everything fit into the bag quite comfortably. Some of the toiletry items were acquired from hotel stays. No. It is not stealing. I have it on good authority that the hotel expects you to use your toiletry items every day. They are included in the cost of the room. If you take what is left you are not stealing. Besides, when you are a road warrior staying in the same hotels so many times you are on a first name basis with the staff, they don't mind giving you some free shampoo and soap. FYI, I don't know if they still do it, but some of the upscale hotels would have a small sewing kit in the room. Perfect for a BOB.

It is a comforting feeling to know that everything is in one place, and hopefully, nothing would be forgotten. I guess we feel that way about all of our preps.

I confess to having a decent accumulation of tools. Most of my hand tools are stored in two roll cabinets and their top boxes while the power and larger woodworking tools are stored on wall shelf units. After 40 years as a mechanic, building a house, a garage and a shop and gardening for most of that time I have tools for just about any purpose and a knowledge of how to build something I may need but don't have. I also have a basic chemistry lab that is packed away.

I confess to having a decent accumulation of to...

. I also have a basic chemistry lab that is packed away.
That sounds a lot like me.

While I was working in the physics labs at U of Pitt, they gave a lot of the old PHDs an offer to retire and give up their labs. So the maintenance crews simply packed up everything in labs into a dumpster. I spent a good of time in that dumpster and picked up a good collection of lab equipment including a lot of glassware.

Sea Story Time

1)
At one point I had half of the condensed matter physics department in that dumpster playing a game I called "name that widget" trying to guess what things were used for.

2)
One afternoon I picked up The Princess after work during rush hour. After she chased down a soccer ball that fell out of the cab when she opened the door she climbed in and looked in the bed of the truck and asked;

What do you have in the bed?

I answered;

"A case of beer and a particle accelerator."

Ben

I have designed a particle accelerator but when I figured out how much power it would take to make it work I decided it was not going to happen.
The standard house can only pull a maximum of 48,000 watts and that is about a third of the required power - and I was working with electrons and not protons or ions. :)

I have designed a particle accelerator but when I figured out how much power it would take to make it work I decided it was not going to happen.
The standard house can only pull a maximum of 48,000 watts and that is about a third of the required power - and I was working with electrons and not protons or ions. :)
The original accelerator was the length of the football stadium. My section is only 3 feet long .

It appears to very similar to the on operated by Westinghouse see link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Atom_Smasher
This is a picture of the part I still have in the loft of my garage.

20201103_174547.jpg

They used a huge vandergraf generator.

Ben

You have to use high voltage to produce the stream, but you need high amperage for the magnets.
Then I had to have a gate magnet and a focusing magnet to hit the target.

Funny, it sounds so simple when you write it down but it is so complex when you are planing it out and building it.

For my 16th birthday I asked for a wheelbarrow to make cleaning the barn easier. Prior to that it was one pitchfork at a time. So the joke was - most 16 yr. olds want a set of wheels, I just got one wheel. I was grateful for it!

For my 16th birthday I asked for a wheelbarrow to make cleaning the barn easier. Prior to that it was one pitchfork at a time. So the joke was - most 16 yr. olds want a set of wheels, I just got one wheel. I was grateful for it!
Since I was the dishwasher (and all the other housework) for 7 people, I would often say that I wish we had a dishwasher. Then everyone would laugh and say, "We don't need a dishwasher. We have you." Hahaha. Not.

Latest posts

Back