Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the shot. No immediate ill effects.

This is what Colt posted (regarding the typical Pfizer side effects he is seeing) - about 13 hours ago on that other site:

Consistent pattern here with the pfizer vaccine is that on the day of the 2nd shot you feel fine. The day after the majority are getting really sick and calling in. Nausea/diarrhea is really popular, but just massive fatigue to the point of sleeping through 24 hours has also happened in multiple cases. Problems pass enough after a day and they're back in to work the day after that.

So if you get through the next few days without getting that sick and same for the second shot, then it will be a good data point in favor of the Moderna vaccine.

My fingers are crossed for you and I already regard the Moderna vaccine as my favorite.

I got my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. After the first dose I had almost zero side effects, just a mild irritability the first night (which might have been coincidence). After my second dose I got a bit of a headache and sore lymph nodes in my neck about 7 hours after the shot, annoying but not debilitating, that lasted for an hour or two. Had a really hard time sleeping, headache came back a bit in the night, but so far today not bad. Fatigued, but no more than is easily explained by the poor sleep. A couple of my coworkers have called out the day after their second doses, with fever being the main symptom reported.

Fatigue symptoms for me may be muddled as I went 24 hours without sleeping today as the appointment for my vaccine was seven hours before I normally wake up, and a hundred mile round trip so I just skipped sleep and stayed up. Managed to get a couple hours sleep this afternoon but I expect to not feel great anyway simply from loss of sleep.

So while I was sleeping this afternoon a tree broke off and landed on my old shop.

No huge loss since I don't really use it anymore, but annoying as it was a perfectly useable shed. The first building I ever built actually, about 20 years ago. Its repairable....but I would have to decide if it was worth it or not.

6jh2CFq.jpg

He's always been supportive of my purchases: A) I don't spend a lot of $$$, and B) He likes to eat :)
Just ordered more tattler lids. I was thinking of doing so anyways so I don't have to worry about having lids. Figured might as well now while I still can.

I bought a Tattler lid for every jar I have. Just to be safe....

Ok. Hadn’t thought about coffee being an issue. Just ordered a small coffee maker, coffee to put away and more of what we use daily. At least if our maker goes out we will have a backup now.

Hubby a French press and when our last coffee pot died he just boiled water and poured it into the filter basket. It worked.

Yes, you can make butter with the Trader Joes cream. That coffee method is used by my non electric cousins. They boil water, have one of those corningware coffee pots, you know the white one with the blue little something on it. On the coffee pot is a filter holder, and water is poured on that. We all have insulated carafes around here to keep coffee hot.

So I reeeeally don't like plastic anything. I am not die-hard like some, but if I have my druthers. . . Anyhoo, I should be receiving my Tattler lids Monday. In wanting to store them safely and keep them away from mice 🤢 I wanted metal containers. MSC has been a great company to order from through our business. I found they have metal buckets for $13.81 ea. I will be ordering 2 of them: 1 for wide lids and1 for regular. Thought I would let you all know in case it is something you could use as well. Will attach the link, but just in case: "MSC 5 gal. metal bucket" would be the search.
Metal Buckets

For years the only cheese cloth I see at stores is grade #10, usually at wally’s. When staining out tinctures I use 7 or 8 layers and have to do it 2, sometimes 3 times. It’s time consuming and uses up the little rolls I buy in an afternoon.

At the big internet box store I saw some grade #90 cheese cloth, 50yrds to a box at a good price. It’s washable unlike the #10 grade.

It came in yesterday, Visually I can see it’ll do a great job on tinctures. If needed I could filter cooking oil. I’ve never made cheese but from what I’ve read #90 is a bit overkill. I’d rather have one grade that would do anything I would need than keep several grades in the house.

cheese cloth (2) sm.JPG

Last edited:
For years the only cheese cloth I see at stores is grade #10, usually at wally’s. When staining out tinctures I use 7 or 8 layers and have to do it 2, sometimes 3 times. It’s time consuming and uses up the little rolls I buy in an afternoon.

At the big internet box store I saw some grade #90 cheese cloth, 50yrds to a box at a good price. It’s washable unlike the #10 grade.

It came in yesterday, Visually I can see it’ll do a great job on tinctures. If needed I could filter cooking oil. I’ve never made cheese but from what I’ve read #90 is a bit overkill. I’d rather have one grade that would do anything I would need than keep several grades in the house.

View attachment 56881
Sooo, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly- when can I expect my cheese? 😂

Just ordered a number of different tomato seeds. Some cool climate, some early season ( 55 days) and some dwarf. All heirloom
Also went through all the ones I bought last year

Wow! It's not real big but it is enough to use for small projects - no swords.
What are you using for a diffuser?

I ordered from Tomatofest
https://www.tomatofest.com/Tomato_
They have them for cooler climates
Thought I'd give them a try this year

What varities did you order WVLagy?

I have ordered and grew a few "Early Season" tomatos in the past. Most of the ones I tried were originally from Canada or Russia. I've had good luck with Manitoba, Black Krim, and one of my favorite tomatos of any type. Anna Russian. I like them all better in the fall than in the spring. But with a green house spring might do really well
Good luck with them.

So I went for a great big long drive and picked up my 8 week old red nose pitbull puppy.
One of the most together, calm, intelligent animals.
I've had her for 3 days and she is already walking at a heel off leash, sitting and coming on command .
Outstanding.
Like I said she's very calm and not given to jumping up and peeing everywhere and she only has attacks of the puppy spazz zoomies when she's outside playing freely with her tug toy.

@Tank-Girl Good to 'see' ya. A few members have gone awol lately. Glad you didn't. Pitties are usually great dogs when trained.
@Bacpacker Can't remember if they were heirloom or not, but last year when my mom was hardening the starts off, they got windburned and died. She's so careful and usually does great. She was upset about it. Anyhow, we ended up buying a few : celebrities were great and I'll look for them again this year. We also got Oregon spring which were smaller, but the first to produce a ripe mater and very prolific. Also Roma's and Old Germans which are nothing new.
@hiwall that should work great for small projects. Hubby prefers anthrocyte nut coal in case you want a recommendation. I have bought him various brands and the one he likes is from Tractor supply.

I'm learning how to bake bread.
It's funny, I remember making bread at home when I was younger, and it didn't seem so complicated - just follow the recipe. But now I'm learning how to "read" the dough and adjust for different conditions (online classes). I've been making a loaf every couple of days, and getting better at it. Part of my problem is that the main oven doesn't heat evenly, so I only bake in a toaster oven - and that's just not big enough. So tonight I'm going to see if I can find a sweet spot in the big oven.

This is something that a lot of people here already do, so it probably sounds silly. In my fifties and finally learning how to really make bread.... :oops: But I want to have less dependency on grocery stores for our needs.

Last edited:
I'd sure tell you if I knew what a diffuser was.

Typically it is the plate between the incoming air blast and the burning coal. It is normally set up to diffuse the air from the center of the fire to broaden the flow to involve the whole fire or nearly all of it. It keeps the high heat where the work piece is.

I'm trying these this year from tomatofest

Short Season Tomato Seed Collection
Aker's West Virginia - Organic Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Alaska - Organic Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Amy's Apricot - Organic Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Anna Russian - Organic Heirloom Tomato Seed

I just realized they all start with an A lol

The short season collection contains:
Contains: Buckbee's New 50 Day, Early Annie, Marmande, Moskovich, Northern Lights, Orange Roma, Peche Jaune, Siletz, Sunset's Red Horizon.

I'm really hoping to save seeds from them
And I want to experiment with them to see how they do in the greenhouse

Typically it is the plate between the incoming air blast and the burning coal. It is normally set up to diffuse the air from the center of the fire to broaden the flow to involve the whole fire or nearly all of it. It keeps the high heat where the work piece is.
I have a 1/2" steel plate with an arm attached to use as a clinker buster and to allow opening to get rid of ashes. At the bottom of the big square tubing is an ash door so I can dump the ash into a bucket.

Latest posts

Back