Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 lbs of rice, 100lbs of sugar, 100lbs of salt. 2 5lbs bags of Baking soda. 4 qts of concentrated lemon juice. I do this every month and other things besides. After reading Intel reports, I checked my Guns and I made them WET. I always run my ARs Wet. I don't care what you think. Die Dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 lbs of rice, 100lbs of sugar, 100lbs of salt. 2 5lbs bags of Baking soda. 4 qts of concentrated lemon juice. I do this every month and other things besides. After reading Intel reports, I checked my Guns and I made them WET. I always run my ARs Wet. I don't care what you think. Die Dry.
Why a hundred pounds of salt a month?

Why a hundred pounds of salt a month?

Maybe but if you can't grow it and there isn't a salt mine or the ocean near by salt will be very valuable.
It doesn't go off so it's shelf stable.

Preserving meat will be a huge issue without electricity and moose and elk are vast animals it'd take a lot of salt to dry pack a whole moose carcass worth the meat.
Then there's salmon runs, caribou etc....

Just my guess.

okay i have my dunce cap on again. what does WET mean?

okay i have my dunce cap on again. what does WET mean?
Gun oil/ lubrication. Certain guns like a lot of lubrication while others supposedly like very little. The AR is generally known for running better with little lubrication but Resto prefers to run his wet or with lots of lube. it obviously works well for him.

I use salt for weed control. And to fill the salt shaker.:)

My dad had a huge Blackberry forest in his backyard. He was spending a fortune on liquid weed killers. I had him dissolve rock salt in water and spray the blackberries. Worked like a charm and a heck of a lot cheaper. He spent his saving on cigars, not ammo, I did try to convert him.

Iodine and Vaseline makes oil to cream on sores.
Salt is abrasive, use on stains in the kitchen.
Salt with other ingredients, put on navel of newborn animal to stop infection.
Some people give animals salt to get rid of worms.
Leeches let go of skin with salt.
Salt kills slugs
Salt water controls parasites on people and animals.

I gather salt from my saltwater aquarium.
Since I put in a saltwater aquarium, I have not been sick once, like, colds, sinus infections.

Since my last post we have stocked 6 months supply of deodorant and mouthwash bringing us to 12 months worth, around 3 months of tinned lychees at near to 50% off prices, more prescription pain killers for DH, more cotton shirts on 64% off clearance prices for DH, 7 pairs of shorts and a pair of embroidered denim jeans for me as I grew out of the others at 74% off usual prices and made 5 jars of lemon and orange marmalade for the stockpile.

We stock up on all our clothing for a few years in advance when we see good prices at end of season sales and at the moment that is summer clothing.

Married?
Cloths Washer?
Children have moved out so Kenmore softener usage has dropped.

Wonder why mine uses so much salt?
Just the two of us. We have a whirlpool Duet front loader which uses less water. The wife finally has her dishwasher so that uses some water. I recently put 180# of salt (Morton yellow bags) 40#X2, 50#X2 which topped me off. I believe it had been close to a year and a half. Perhaps my water is softer to start with.

I'm price comparing on of these for my survival bag... IFRT Firefighter Handy Rescue Axe https://innovationfactory.com/products/handy-rescue-tool-for-firefighters
61y9fEjnjFL._SL1500_.jpg

Bought new super insulated designed for interior AK chicken coop. Also bought a used (new for us) motor home. All systems are better operating than our old one and it's larger so it's an upgrade as a secondary house. My order of potassium iodide arrived. Still unable to put hydroponics outside because of freezing temps at nite, frustrating spring so far. Just not warming up. Putting fuel in boat Sunday getting ready for Mothers Day trip to BOL if the river is uniced in a couple weeks. My prepper friend is going to win prepper of the year again. I just can't keep up. He's an amazing dude.

"outside because of freezing temps at nite, frustrating spring so far."
I know what you mean even here in AZ. We lost a tomato plant two nights ago even though we had it well covered. Our other outside plants seemed to be OK though and they was well covered too.

Yesterday and the day before we made 12 jars of orange and lemon marmalade weighing 5.496kg and also made lemonade concentrate made from free lemons and free honey we get from our friend for letting him put his hives here. The lemonade concentrate we froze and it will either make enough for 9lts of cordial when the weather warms up or some nice hot honey and lemon drinks for winter.

Latest posts

Back