Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some un-used canning jars that I had washed and put on a shelf, I also had a shipment of rice, so I repackaged all the rice into canning jars using the seal-a-meal attachment, at the end all the flats were full and I had 1 quart jar that was a little less than full. I didn't label the lids as I assume that they can be reused instead the wife made 1 sticky note for each flat of jars and that's it.

We are still canning on a daily basis, today after work is chili, I converted my wife's recipe into a canning recipe and she will start it about an hour before I get off.
Last night, we added it up and when we get done on Friday we will have about 96 "quick meals" canned and 18 casseroles in the freezer. But, we won't be doing the "canning marathon" over the Labor Day weekend... we some how did our canning plan while getting ready for the marathon :)

Added more canned meat. Got the last canned ham on the shelf
Added more canned veggies and fruit
Added more pastas and noodles
Added more tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce and alfredo sauce
Added some more condiments ( soy sauce and teriyaki sauce,dry salad dressings)
added 6 lbs of ground sausage for the freezer
Have 4 lbs of frozen hashbrowns that I'll be dehydrating today

Just an idea for those trying to plan for shtf or even for future shortages: soap nuts. They can be used multiple times and work in lieu of laundry detergent. I got a bag and they seem to work okay for normal washing. Our work clothes get filthy so use "regular" laundry soap for those. I will probably try to get another bag of soap nuts just to have them.

Finally ordered an indoor propane heater. I think it was @randyt (maybe) who got one or two last spring. I have checked periodically and they have been out of stock since the TX freeze so I ended up getting one that is about $50 more than that one but will heat our whole house. (It's not a big house.)

Finished going through the last batch of butcher scraps for the dogs. I have a 10 cft freezer full; enough for 4 German Shepherds to have half a lb a day each for eight months. That was one of my spare freezers so no more scraps till winter temps kick in and I can use the great outdoors to keep them supplemented for another 4 months.

I have about ten lbs of tallow fat to render down and another 15-20 of lard. That will take care of my oil supplies for a good long time. I have a mess of bones roasting in the oven for making stock and that process will take a few days as well.

Tomorrow, I hope to start processing my meatbbirds.

Just buy four used wheels and have the snow tires mounted on them. I have a set for each car and all I have to do is swap the wheel and tires.

Just ordered 2 new tires for my car. I will pick them up so I have them then when we put the studded tires on in a month or so, I will take the tires and wheels in and have them mounted. I think tires was one of Backpacker's ideas - good thinkin'!

Yep it was. We now have new tires on the vehicles, should be good to go for a few years now.

So today I managed to finalise my fuel marine Card. Awesome stuff.
I'll be able to buy fuel when the dumb sheep are bumper to bumper at the petrol stations fist fighting over the last few litres.
Another good thing is no QR codes to scan in....and I don't use them anyway and I didn't today. Proud of me.
I went to pick up my bladder/ pillow tank and they shop is in the process of moving and won't be reopned in their new position until the middle of next week. I had to put that money into a separate account in case I spent it.
Cassava cuttings brought.....very happy about being able to locate yellow cassava cuttings at an awesome price. They're rarer than hen's teeth. I only brought 5 but out of those 5 I'm going to be able to get many, many cuttings.
At the feed store I found lemon grass plants, thyme and cabbage starts...........so happy.
Still waiting on a seed order to turn up.

Made a quick trip to the local grocery this morning.
Added another 10lbs of chicken breasts
2 large containers of oatmeal
10 bottles of tonic water with quinine
20pack of tp

My thoughts exactly. I had forgotten to put tonic water on my list. It’s great to have others who think along the same lines.
What you use it for, other than gin and tonic?

Quinine is an ingredient. Can’t hurt, and doesn’t taste bad.
Yeah, it tastes great, but pretty useless as an anti-malarial if thats what your thinking as all the current strains of malaria in the world are quinine resistant and there was never enough quinine in modern tonic water to matter anyway unless you drank a huge amount of it every day.

Yeah, it tastes great, but pretty useless as an anti-malarial if thats what your thinking as all the current strains of malaria in the world are quinine resistant and there was never enough quinine in modern tonic water to matter anyway unless you drank a huge amount of it every day.
I figured that there was a catch to your question. To each his own......

I figured that there was a catch to your question. To each his own......

Just trying to figure out if there was something I was missing, since it seems that there are at least two people who think tonic water is a prep for something.

Some think it helps with Covid. Like hydroxychloroquine

Ah. Still makes tonic water a incredibly weak source of quinine if that is what you are after.

I actually stock ant-malarials.....of course, I stock them for malaria, but if you thought they where good for something else, its easy enough to get the real stuff. The actual amount of quinine in tonic water is regulated to a low level, less than 100mg per liter at the most. You would have to drink five liters of the stuff to equal one dose of medical quinine.

Which still doesn't do you much good if what your really after is hyrdoxychloroquine....which contains no quinine.

since it seems that there are at least two people who think tonic water is a prep for something.

"Gin and Tonic" on ice.........please.

To avoid the inevitable interrogation, I will confess now and get it over with. Yes, I stock beverages that will not cure the world's woes or make me healthier. They have no nutritional value and I can't defend my use of them. I just . . . sob . . . like them. I'm soooooo sorry.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

To avoid the inevitable interrogation, I will confess now and get it over with. Yes, I stock beverages that will not cure the world's woes or make me healthier. They have no nutritional value and I can't defend my use of them. I just . . . sob . . . like them. I'm soooooo sorry.

Me too.

Including tonic water.

Thank you. Some of us just stock things that we like or for a loved one. No paranoid reason behind it :rolleyes:

Been bringing the wood pellets home to store in the building.
Hope to get three more tons today and then finish with the last 3 tons on friday.

Since I live on a dead end road in the mountains there is always a chance someone gets careless and starts a forest fire, I keep a backpack always set up, and in heavy duty truck tote in the back of my truck just in case i would need to bug out. I keep it light enough so as to carry it out on my back in case the road is compromised and I need to hike out. There is also a jug of water plus extra things in the truck which would be nice to have if bugging out with the truck is possible.

Back