Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby went on a buying spree. Bought a backup refrigerator and a backup chest freezer.
They'll be delivered on the 7th of november

I have no comment. Its a good idea but thats as far as I'll go lol
I'm seriously thinking of buying a spare chest freezers. Ours is old and after testing it with a Kill A Watt for power usage found it isn't as efficient as our upright. Get the new one and save the old one for a spare

Yep @ClemKadiddlehopper, my spare freezer is now so full you can barely get the lid closed... This morning I picked up canned goods ~6 flats, some cut chicken, and a bunch of 2.5 gallon drinking water.. I had about 180 gallons in bulk and 20 gallons of distilled and a few flats of bottled but the wife wanted me to add to it.

I topped off the truck's gas tank and my last 5 gallon can... $50, I'm glad I wasn't empty.

I rebuilt an old Snap-on battery load tester, it's about 45 years old and the switch went bad...

I don't remember who, but someone here posted about getting new 'Non-EPA" pour spouts for the Blitz cans, so I ordered a gross of those. Edit it was @The Lazy L

I sorted through my 3 gallon buckets, I am going to wash the best 4 of them and will place them in the hall bathroom for sanitation water, if it ever comes to that. I also moved my BOB into the linen closet nest to the tub, that way I could even find it in the dark....

Last edited:
Today, I was inventorying and putting up groceries, I got to thinking about something my son said, he called me a hoarder. So the mental conflict that I came to is what is the difference between a hoarder and a Prepper? Is it an organizational thing, is it the choice of things hoarded or is it something else???

I mean is having 6 flats of beans on the shelf really a bad thing? When did I cross the line and become a bad thing (don't answer that I've always been a bad example, at least as long as I can remember).

...what is the difference between a hoarder and a Prepper? Is it an organizational thing, is it the choice of things hoarded or is it something else???

I'd say it's pretty simple, when I've seen hoarder shows on TV, those people live in a filthy junk pile with trash and totally disorganized junk that they somehow believe is valuable. Like one, the guy had these really old computers stacked in his back yard saying well someday he might rebuild them and sell them to someone that might want them. I was like ok they were out of date when he got them decades before and now they've sat in the backyard in the weather since. How could he ever think they could be used for anything.

A Prepper on the other hand might live amongst stacks of things but they know what they have, they keep it clean and organized and they use it and rotate things, like the beans you mention.

So the mental conflict that I came to is what is the difference between a hoarder and a Prepper? Is it an organizational thing, is it the choice of things hoarded or is it something else???
When I first posted on another fourm, I got flammed by those who were adamantly opposed to the word Hoarder. For some reason that word really ticks off the 'preppers'. LOL! It's just a word already. geeeesh

I think the difference between the two is mostly the quality of the stuff you collect. I buy (probably too much) things that have value. Even if S doesn't hit the fan, I can still use my stuff, or someone else can. When I die, there's probably gonna be a really big sale. But, they will get a lot of money for it b/c a lot of it is brand new...or at least very well taken care of. I'm not as organized as I could be, but I am working on it. For the most part, I know where all my stuff is.....at least the general vacinity. I use a lot of my time in the winter to get more organized and put things on shelves and in totes. Although, I had to buy another stud finder last week b/c I couldn't find the one that I know I have around here....somewhere. :rolleyes: I'm gonna blame hubs on that one......I'm sure he put it somewhere and now I can't find it.:D

My stuff doesn't present a hazard. On the hoarder shows, those folks can hardly function without a potential hazard of some sort surrounding them. If I lived in a situation like that I would be miserable! I need wide open space to work in the kitchen and in my office. Stuff has to be organized in a manner to be the most efficient. Working space is something I've never seen on those hoarder shows. I think some of those people are lazy too. Yes, they have mental issues, but they also don't bother to try and do anything with their stuff. Many won't even bother to wash the dishes. When you have dead animals, old pizza boxes, rodent excrement, and small paths through your home.....you are a hoarder b/c that's not stuff that will come in handy if SHTF......or any other time for that matter. In fact, I think they are probably inviting a SHTF situation for themselves. It's kinda sad.

Today, I was inventorying and putting up groceries, I got to thinking about something my son said, he called me a hoarder. So the mental conflict that I came to is what is the difference between a hoarder and a Prepper? Is it an organizational thing, is it the choice of things hoarded or is it something else???

I mean is having 6 flats of beans on the shelf really a bad thing? When did I cross the line and become a bad thing (don't answer that I've always been a bad example, at least as long as I can remember).
I do not believe you can hoard food & paper goods by buying two, use one, save one. If you buy fifty pounds of potatoes & store them wrong or the potatoes rot before you get use them, you are wasteful. If you buy 50. pound & can them or share them with friends & family, no waste, that is a good thing.
Another more open hoarder is the TP shortage, because no one bought two packs, one to save, but went in at the last hour & cleaned the shelves, that is hoarding.
I ask DW "Do we need to get TP, the news saying there is a shortage." She said "No, we can get the limit one, we have enough to do us at home."
Having a deep freezer, I have made two trips to the store with in an hour to get a limit two special, like hams, but I only got the four & used three of them
& cooked the fourth with trimmings & sent the other to a family, because the man's Father had pasted.

Last edited:

There is a thread asking that same question and a variety of answers. I think maybe the real question is what do you think is "enough?" Having a rotating store of food and living needs is in my opinion wise not a disorder. But then again, I guess that's part of why we hang out here. I don't think many of younger generations understand how bad things can really be - they've never been without. (generally speaking.)

Yesterday as I put all the new goodies into the inventory spreadsheet and checked to see how long that would last me (as @Neb would referrer to a Man-Years) I came to the conclusion that if I/we can eat it before it goes bad it is not hoarding, so I guess anything up to a 5 year supply could be "reasonable" ;) The funny thing is that if you build a "reasonable supply" for 7 people and then 5 of them move away you could end up being a little "over supplied".

When our kids moved out there were some fresh foods that we always had too much of because we had not adjusted our "family" size in our minds when we would go shopping. With one kid it was bread, with another it was milk......

Now day's I assume that one of the children would return in a SHTF event, so they are included in our target setting "family"...

Yesterday as I put all the new goodies into the inventory spreadsheet and checked to see how long that would last me (as @Neb would referrer to a Man-Years) I came to the conclusion that if I/we can eat it before it goes bad it is not hoarding, so I guess anything up to a 5 year supply could be "reasonable" ;) The funny thing is that if you build a "reasonable supply" for 7 people and then 5 of them move away you could end up being a little "over supplied".

When our kids moved out there were some fresh foods that we always had too much of because we had not adjusted our "family" size in our minds when we would go shopping. With one kid it was bread, with another it was milk......

Now day's I assume that one of the children would return in a SHTF event, so they are included in our target setting "family"...
Smart!

2 things on the prepping front: I'd like to increase our store of dehydrated foods since they keep for a very long time!
Second thing is a little more complicated thus a little more expensive. I've had my 1990 bronco since 1998. It probably has over 400K miles on it and has seen better days. It still runs but has nowhere near the power it once did and is a bit louder. The body only has 2 minor dings (there are a couple other "spots" like where a rock hit or such things). We are going to take it in and have it restored. It's a rig I'm totally comfortable driving, and it's served me well so far. If we restore it now, it should last the rest of my life. The other thing is it doesn't have any computerized parts. If a computer/satellite issue does occur that would put newer rigs out of production, we would still have it. This is something I doubt will happen, but the way things are, I'm not putting anything past "them." And yes I understand I would still need fuel. I guess I am to the point I want things pretty simplistic and if I'm going to have something, I want it in good condition whether it's a piece of furniture, a house, or a rig. The price of restoring it is still far less than that of a new rig & it will be a far better quality.

2 things on the prepping front: I'd like to increase our store of dehydrated foods since they keep for a very long time!
Second thing is a little more complicated thus a little more expensive. I've had my 1990 bronco since 1998. It probably has over 400K miles on it and has seen better days. It still runs but has nowhere near the power it once did and is a bit louder. The body only has 2 minor dings (there are a couple other "spots" like where a rock hit or such things). We are going to take it in and have it restored. It's a rig I'm totally comfortable driving, and it's served me well so far. If we restore it now, it should last the rest of my life. The other thing is it doesn't have any computerized parts. If a computer/satellite issue does occur that would put newer rigs out of production, we would still have it. This is something I doubt will happen, but the way things are, I'm not putting anything past "them." And yes I understand I would still need fuel. I guess I am to the point I want things pretty simplistic and if I'm going to have something, I want it in good condition whether it's a piece of furniture, a house, or a rig. The price of restoring it is still far less than that of a new rig & it will be a far better quality.
I agree with you and keeping the 90 Bronco going, but Ford started using computer controls in the 1980s. There is a computer controlling the timing and the Electronic Fuel Injection, but it is much simpler that the newer machines.

I had a 91 Chevrolet Van that I wish I had taken the time to keep going, it was a great all around vehicle...

On the dehydrated foods I am thinking about getting another flat of powdered eggs but am torn as to what to get whole or scrambled mix... I am thinking the whole may be more versatile....

I agree with you and keeping the 90 Bronco going, but Ford started using computer controls in the 1980s. There is a computer controlling the timing and the Electronic Fuel Injection, but it is much simpler that the newer machines.

I had a 91 Chevrolet Van that I wish I had taken the time to keep going, it was a great all around vehicle...
I didn't realize that. I just know it doesn't give me grief for not being buckled or for a door being open etc. If I don't remember to turn off the lights, the battery will go dead - that's my responsibility not a computers and I'm cool with that.

I made another trip last week to get rid of some cash and stock up on assets before our dollar is complete junk. Again, if I walked by something I thought may come in handy, it went into the cart. I'm not used to shopping this way! But my mindset has now turned from getting only bargains to getting whatever I may need and getting backups of almost everything. Here's some of the haul.....

canned potatoes - 2 cases since Aldi didn't have a limit on these and I couldn't find them anywhere else at .49 per can
canned carrots - 4 cans
flour - 2 more bags
yeast - handful of packets
jello - 12 boxes (for use when we are sick and can't tolerate anything but clear liquids)
TP - yet another club pack
socks - a huge bag of them at a brand outlet store - spent almost $90 on socks for X-mas and ourselves
toasters - 2
booze - 4 various bottles
paper plates - 5 packs on sale
various electrical outlet components that need to be replaced at some point
stud finder - 2
space heaters - 3
motion detector lights - 4
carpet cleaer - 3 gallons
caso - 8 in glass jars
sausage gravy - case
canned pork and fajita meat - 8
corned beef - 6
various packs of plastic cutlery - 5
grill brushes (2 pack) on clearance for $1.50 - 6
several misc. supplements on BOGO
mayo - 5
chili - 6
shelving units - 2

I got a few other odds and ends too. I spent a couple hours yesteday organizing the store room and making room for more stuff. While I was re-arranging things I found 4 boxes of the 22LR Winchester ammo in the 555 box that I paid $19.97 each for. It just warms my heart when I find things like that as I re-organize things. I moved that to a different area so that I could use the entire shelving unit for medical items. Today I'll probably put up another shelving unit in there to add more of the canned goods I've gotten recently and get them in order.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a spare chest freezers. Ours is old and after testing it with a Kill A Watt for power usage found it isn't as efficient as our upright. Get the new one and save the old one for a spare
I am curious about haw you are testing the energy consumption of a chest freezer compared to an upright, My point being that a chest freezer doesn't loose very much cold when you get something out of it, an upright dumps a large volume of cold out every time it is opened, so if an upright is used as a go to for small items freezer as opposed to a longer term storage unit the efficiency of using less energy during a cycle kind of goes out the window
Not criticizing just curious

I am curious about haw you are testing the energy consumption of a chest freezer compared to an upright, My point being that a chest freezer doesn't loose very much cold when you get something out of it, an upright dumps a large volume of cold out every time it is opened, so if an upright is used as a go to for small items freezer as opposed to a longer term storage unit the efficiency of using less energy during a cycle kind of goes out the window
Not criticizing just curious
I expected just that with the upright being much less efficient. But my results were just the opposite. The chest is over 20 years old

Energy efficiency is calculated by how much power it takes to bring it down to temperature X. With an upright you will have to put up with the energy loss every time you open it. The tradeoff is that it is easier to find stuff. In a power outage the chest freezer will be more tolerant of being opened.
I have gone with the uprights as the volume of freezer space accessible to me in the same floorspace is worth the cost of the power, to me.

Energy efficiency is calculated by how much power it takes to bring it down to temperature X. With an upright you will have to put up with the energy loss every time you open it. The tradeoff is that it is easier to find stuff. In a power outage the chest freezer will be more tolerant of being opened.
I have gone with the uprights as the volume of freezer space accessible to me in the same floorspace is worth the cost of the power, to me.
It is only the cold air pouring out that is the negative for an upright freezer. If the freezer is full not much air to loose. Air has a very low heat capacity (how much energy needs to be removed the lower the temp for a given mass) so if the there not much air lost only a small amount needs to be cooled.

Given a chest of the same size and design as an upright will have a small edge over an upright.

Ben

I have not had good luck with my upright freezers, failed earlier than I would like... My old chest freezers have outlasted 2 uprights, and they give me a nice flat surface to work on... ;) If you are looking to power them using a small solar array and inverter I would check each one with a kill-a-watt type meter, they should give you the average, the maximum, and the minimum power consumed during the data collection period. I checked all mine for a full week, I do my planning around the maximum. I was surprised at how wide the range was...

I have not had good luck with my upright freezers, failed earlier than I would like... My old chest freezers have outlasted 2 uprights, and they give me a nice flat surface to work on... ;) If you are looking to power them using a small solar array and inverter I would check each one with a kill-a-watt type meter, they should give you the average, the maximum, and the minimum power consumed during the data collection period. I checked all mine for a full week, I do my planning around the maximum. I was surprised at how wide the range was...
The startup on the compressor draws the most. Once it gets going then the power usage levels out and is fairly consistent. The same is true with all electric motors. The big power draw of startup creates the most heat. That is the reason that you want a large expansion tank on your water pump. The fewer starts the longer the pump will last. Two households, with the exact water consumption, the exact same pump, the pump in the household with the larger pressure tank will last the longest.

The freezer with the largest differential on the thermostats will last the longest, when operated the same.

Interesting, I always heard chest freezers were best. My upright is probably 20 years old and is going great. It was the chest freezer that died this summer. Also, I am short so chest freezers don't work for me. I go A** over teakettle trying to get stuff out.

Interesting, I always heard chest freezers were best. My upright is probably 20 years old and is going great. It was the chest freezer that died this summer. Also, I am short so chest freezers don't work for me. I go A** over teakettle trying to get stuff out.
I have had a 6 foot chest freezer for twenty years & got it used. The cold stays in a chest freezer & it literally falls out of an up right.
If you have an up right, put a 1/4 inch wooden strip und the front edge on the floor, it will make the door shut tighter, because it is leaning back.
That will cause less leaks of cold air when the door is closed.

Latest posts

Back