Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have stocked up the pantry from 1 to 3 -4 years on most things now the prices are rising faster than I can do a shopping list.

Managed to get a builder in to fix the things that we couldn't here and saved $4500 by shopping around being our tank stand shed reinforced that was sinking, 2 asbestos ceiling panels replaced, cupboard door rollers replaced and gutter leaks fixed. Still need to paint the ceiling panels that were replaced and also work on painting the window sills of the home that is clad and our wooden sheds.

Welcome back.
I hear you.
My pension didn't hit the bank until the 24th. There were no delivery or 'to the boot' slots for Coles or Woolworths so I had to go in store.
The place had rows of bare shelves.
I asked a guy in the meat department in Woolworths what happened and he said that the truck simply didn't turn up!!
Between the AdBlue shortages and staffing shortages the just in time system here is breaking down fast.
Costs are sky rocketing.

Last edited:
I finished putting up a 20x52 foot hoop house and will put the plastic on in the spring.
Also built boxes for raised beds and bent hoops that fit them so they can all be low tunnel hoop houses.
Ordered another dozen apple and peach trees.
that makes 35 fruit trees.

Ummm. Bought Christmas presents, placed a order with Thrive. Bought a security system for my sisters new apt(come on birthday!). Also got half the sunroom drywalled, painted and organized.
Our sunroom has been finished for a number of years, the trouble is that it's become a catch all for projects in the works and 5 gallon cans of paint to keep from freezing. I miss the pleasure of sitting in one of the rocker/recliners watching the sun go down, I look forward to getting all the projects getting done and all the stuff put away or gone to completed projects.

Our sunroom has been finished for a number of years, the trouble is that it's become a catch all for projects in the works and 5 gallon cans of paint to keep from freezing. I miss the pleasure of sitting in one of the rocker/recliners watching the sun go down, I look forward to getting all the projects getting done and all the stuff put away or gone to completed projects.
But there is always a new project, you are not getting the sunroom back😉

Just thought I'd let you all know. We have a client who mentioned if we ever needed buckets just stop by his shop. He has a sub sandwich shop and they get so many they just throw them in recycle. I stopped today and they will save a few for me: food grade with lids 😊
I know it was mentioned a while back but maybe in the shortages thread that they were difficult to find. If you have a little local sub shop, might swing by and see what they've got.

I just want cheese 😊 Not wild about scraping intestines.

No scraping at all. All you need is a new born calf that has never nursed. Then you need to remove the fourth stomach and salt it down for preservation. Some refrigeration is helpful until its cured. To make cheese you cut a bit off and follow the recipe.

Conclusion: it's a good idea to stock veggie rennet and other enzymes. I cannot see too many people wild about doing it, or having the necessary calf.

where did you get 50# of borax from? What will you use it for, laundry?
From Bulk Apothecary when I also ordered some essential oils. And yes, primarily laundry, but I can use it for scrubbing sinks and tubs also. Another thing but we don't use a lot of it this way, is that Hubby uses it as flux in forge welding. Aaaand, you can soak cotton string in it to make wicks for candles. So I guess we just use it for different things.

From Bulk Apothecary when I also ordered some essential oils. And yes, primarily laundry, but I can use it for scrubbing sinks and tubs also. Another thing but we don't use a lot of it this way, is that Hubby uses it as flux in forge welding. Aaaand, you can soak cotton string in it to make wicks for candles. So I guess we just use it for different things.
Supposedly it will also get rid of ants.

Supposedly it will also get rid of ants.
Oh yea, I have a little "recipe" - really a note so I don't forget. Mix borax and mint jelly and leave it where they are trailing & they gobble it right up. I've only ever had ants inside once or twice.

Food storage will be very important as a prep.
Years ago an old oysterman told me they would put oysters in a bushel basket 1 layer at a time with seaweed between layers and when full store in a covered pit. at least a very cool place.
The oyster go in rounded side down and to be gentle with the oysters.
he said they kept for six months.
I read the old timers would fill a wooden barrel with apples being careful not to hurt the apples.
When the barrel was full and sealed they would sink it in a pond and when opened months later the apples were still fresh.

Goat cheese and other cheeses can be made with white vinegar i'ts not bad. You can also use lemon juice. That's what my grandmother always used.
For hard cheeses you can use thistle.
I've made farm cheese with lemon juice - I prefer it to vinegar. I've never heard that about thistle. I'll have to look into it. If you have info. would love to learn (maybe in the recipe section.)

But your suggestion reminds me that I should have a variety of tape in the first aid supply

Coban (self adhesive tape) is my favorite. It‘s the stuff they generally use to hold the gauze on after they’ve taken blood. It comes in various widths and is perfect for bandaging just about anything on humans or animals. My second favorite is silk tape.

Just thought of something else and will put it here rather than in sewing as I think it will be of more use here. But as I am taking a new pkg. of undergarments out of the stores for each Hubby and myself thinking, "I'll have to see if they even have anymore in the store to replace what I am using." It occurred to me that most folks probably don't even have an idea of how to go about making such a thing. Yes, we could all go commando, but I'm just guessing that's not the preference. A simple pattern either printed from the internet or purchased from your local sewing supply might be a good thing to have on hand. Just thought I'd mention it.

Back