Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I forgot to mention that we have also upped our fuel stocks by 11 jerry cans or 253 litres as the price of fuel plummeted here. We stocked up on 95 reduced from $1.57 litre to .979 a litre and E10 reduced from $1.379 a litre to .797 c per litre and we did add the fuel preservative ( I bought in bulk super cheap earlier) to each jerry. Think we bought out every place that had cheap jerry cans too in the process, I know we bought out 3 stores for sure anyway.

On Monday I stocked up on 6 pairs of shorts and skirts on super sales saving $395 odd dollars over usual prices. That should keep me going for a while. I also earlier managed to buy 3 pairs of sandals for $3 a pair new reduced from $19 - $25 a pair so that is footwear sorted too.

There are a lot of bargains to be had here since the non - essential clothing and other stores shut down and only just are starting to open now after 6 weeks.

Stocked up on some canned goods we needed and pastas and egg noodles.
Also grabbed some double packs of butter today to freeze.
Bought another jar of yeast to freeze until I need to use it. Have one open now
Also bought 2 new bras online since walmart stopped carrying mine 🤬 Have to get another prepaid credit card to buy some more

Got the garden in. Can't do big and fancy since the dirt ( shale) here is so bad but I have plenty in containers going. Hopefully once everything is growing well I'll be running the dehydrator alot for storage

Are you going to model the bras for us? as the saying goes, "without pictures it never happened.":cool:

please don't get upset... I really don't want pictures.:oops:😥

Slowly and surely increasing can goods, meat.
Learning more about dehydrating so I can store more food in hiding spots.
Slowly learning different canning techniques for food storage.
Slowly as budget allows paying down new to me car loan to get it paid off faster.
Increasing emergency funds, stashing cash around my place, in case need to grab and go.
Slowly and surely building up savings,emergency,cash flow.
Not acquiring any more debt, except new to me car.

I mentioned this in another thread... I needed a new generator. I went down to the big box store expecting to max my budget with "bare bones" version by a quality manufacturer.

I walked out with a bargain. I got an 8KW made by Generac. It has electric start and 2 extra receptacles. Regular price was $1129. The one I got was barely used, 11hrs on it. It had been serviced by the factory and sent back to the store to sell. I got it for $720. There wasn't even any sales tax, the city had waved them for the weekend to kick start the economy after covid.

Today I filled it with fuel, started it and let it run about 20minutes. It fired right up as soon as I touched the start button. It makes half the noise as my old "cheap" generator.

Now I need to buy a new fuel tank for the old one and I'll have two generators.

Generac sm.JPG

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll finally be buying a set of Thule square bar roof racks for my car so I can cart the kayak I'm saving up for.

These bars aren't cheap because my car is a older 2 door and it needs some hinkey fitting kits so the bars will fit the roof line.
No postage so I can smile about that. I LOVE not having to pay postage.

Stocked up on underwear and socks for the three of us. We are NOT going to run out of that! lol

I slowly add a little extra to our supply with each grocery trip - a couple cans of soup, a can of spam - not a lot, but just building on the stores we already have.

Working on being less dependent on the supply chain by buying direct from farmers (beef, milk, goat milk soap).

I was watching one of my YouTube channels, and the woman said that this is a calm period, but it's not a time to rest. She said to remember when all this first started happening, what was the thing that scared us? And have we addressed that issue and taken care of it? That hit me, because I realized that while some of my biggest concerns have been addressed (my son has been able to complete his intensive chemo and is now in his maintenance phase, I'm no longer several states away from home), my concern about water has not been addressed. We need to have our water trucked in to our cistern, and our supplier is an 85 year old gentleman who very easily could have decided he didn't want to deliver water during a pandemic. Fortunately for us he is still delivering - but we still need to strengthen our water supply and reduce our dependency on someone else for such a basic need.

Also preparing by starting an herbal medicine course.

@goshengirl We are in similar boats :) I am working on clothing "staples" like underclothes and basics. Also, I have been working on increasing my water store little by little, but it's definitely not adequate for a real breakdown of the system. I'm also not letting my stores run low on foods etc. but keeping them topped up.

Stocked up on underwear and socks for the three of us. We are NOT going to run out of that! lol

I slowly add a little extra to our supply with each grocery trip - a couple cans of soup, a can of spam - not a lot, but just building on the stores we already have.

Working on being less dependent on the supply chain by buying direct from farmers (beef, milk, goat milk soap).

I was watching one of my YouTube channels, and the woman said that this is a calm period, but it's not a time to rest. She said to remember when all this first started happening, what was the thing that scared us? And have we addressed that issue and taken care of it? That hit me, because I realized that while some of my biggest concerns have been addressed (my son has been able to complete his intensive chemo and is now in his maintenance phase, I'm no longer several states away from home), my concern about water has not been addressed. We need to have our water trucked in to our cistern, and our supplier is an 85 year old gentleman who very easily could have decided he didn't want to deliver water during a pandemic. Fortunately for us he is still delivering - but we still need to strengthen our water supply and reduce our dependency on someone else for such a basic need.

Also preparing by starting an herbal medicine course.

One thing this pandemic has taught us is how to better prepare for whatever else they throw at us this fall or whenever

Our oldest daughter called last night from the Seattle area, and she loves to clothes shop. Asked if any stores were open here for clothes. Asked what we've been doing for clothes. Geesh. It's only been since March. She has a Walmart that they grocery shop at, But they can't buy clothing. I bought a 10 pk of socks the other day at Big Lots. I go barefoot in the hot weather, but my socks were looking sad.

She has a Walmart that they grocery shop at, But they can't buy clothing.
That stuff is just nuts. Maybe there was a point to that at the beginning. Maybe. But it's beyond silly at this point. [And I guess a reason for why we prepare - logic can be irrelevant to the powers that be.].

I go barefoot a lot, too. But I also wear workboots a lot outside. And a world without socks for those boots makes me shudder... 😧

Last edited:
I've added more pastas, canned veggies and fruits and egg noodles to the stores. Also some prepared spaghetti sauces but I prefer to use tomato sauce and make my own from that. But its nice to have the convenience lol
Also restocked the tp that was used when everyone bought it all so I'm back up to full but I might go ahead and buy extra before the next shut down ( cuz you know they will this fall or winter)

Lots to catch up on here is that due to the China kerfuffle I have been prepping my heart out keeping abreast of shortages here so here is what I have done -

- Bought clothing both summer and winter for a few seasons ahead. The shops I purchased these online at must be thinking just how many bodies I have :eek:, but hey at prices of mostly $3 and $5 for new clothing I will have clothing when most don't have and can't buy it.
- Purchased enough underwear to last a few years (yes guess where most of that is made).
- Bought more work socks. Yes these are fast not being in stock anywhere.
- A bulk 20 litre drum of chain bar oil because we will use it.
- An electric chainsaw sharpener.
- 2 x 72 cc chainsaws and copious amounts of chainsaw chains to last a while.
- Stocked up on more tinned fruit and again we know where most of that is made too in the cheaper brands.

Things we are about to stock up on is more shoes for DH as his preferred ones are made you know where.

I will admit I have spent money in advance taking it out of the bill money (for chainsaws and chains) but next month we will be getting our coronavirus bonuses for both DH and I, and I get another carer payment bonus so I will replace the money then.

Got to move quickly as chainsaws are almost out of stock everywhere, so is new mowers and all equipment we commonly use. I would rather have spares as one of our chainsaws is looking like it may be at the end of it's life.

Got to move quickly as chainsaws are almost out of stock everywhere

I didn't realize that - thanks for the information! We don't need to replace our chainsaws, but we could stand to have more chains. DH got a sharpener a while back but hasn't used it yet - I suspect there's a learning curve.

I brought 12 flat trigger yoyo mechanical fishers on Ebay from an American supplier.
These devices are classified as a set line in this country and while they are legal to own they are illegal to use.
In a SHTF situation where L&O breaks down these take up next to no space in my ruck and provide the maximum amount of calories for the minimum amount of calories expended if set up in a trot line.
Calorie expenditure is going to be very, VERY important when SHTF happens. Passive collection of those calories is key to survival.

Been ordering some spices and putting them in jars and seal saving.
also, tea. Trying to order more beans in bulk but Frankferd Farms is always sold out. Azure doesnt deliver here, unless they ship and it isnt worth it.
what do you do with your beans? Just put in mylar bags, pressure can?
How about a recommendation for a cook book to use fresh ground wheat?

Well fresh ground wheat is flour so just use it like you would store bought

I keep my dry beans in half gallon mason jars vacuum sealed and in a dark cupboard. I just measure out one pound with my scale and then go from there

Yes we have to get our supply of wood pellets we use for heat in the winter. Summer is when the price goes down.
We have an account at the bank that we put money into for our taxes and the wood pellets. We have to pay the taxes first and then get the pellets because we may have to add to the account to get the pellets

@Sewingcreations15 - thanks! I didn't catch that! lol

But you know, this pandemic situation is showing me how it doesn't matter where in the world you are - people gravitate towards the same supplies (because they have the same reaction). I remember seeing the toilet paper reaction in Hong Kong - on the other side of the world from the US, and long before anyone in the US thought the virus would be an issue here (not counting astute preppers). A couple months later, the first thing to run out here was toilet paper.

I suspect if we aren't having a chainsaw (and supplies) shortage here in the US, your situation may be a good warning that we will be soon.

I got a couple of Stiel chainsaws (USA made) a couple of months ago b/c I had coupons for them. I also bought extra chains and files while I was there. I spent a good amount of cash that day b/c I also bought one for FIL as a Christmas gift. I didn't realize there was a shortage, but am not surprised by it.

I also stocked up on badly needed charcoal. The deals weren't very good this year, but better than nothing. Hopefully there will be sales on the 4th that we can take advantage of, b/c we could use more.

Hubs and I are thinking now is a good time to spend cash. So, anything we are thinking about buying we will buy if we are out and about. The next time we are in town and have a bit of spare time, I want to stop in and buy hubs another gun. He doesn't need it, but it will make him smile:)......so, it's worth it. Guns typically hold their value, so I'm all for it. I'm not really wired that way (in my brain) to spend, so it's weird trying to get used to it. Again, I'm thinking assets are going to be more important than cash very soon. With the massive spending and potential shortages, I see inflation being a factor in our near future. I hope I'm wrong.

With the massive spending and potential shortages, I see inflation being a factor in our near future. I hope I'm wrong.

Yea I've been getting the idea in my head to buy more powdered milk and vacuum seal it in jars. Lasts a very long time that way. Years even. It keeps poking at me when ever I think about going to the grocery store.
I also want get more canned milk. I use that in some recipes, it gives a nice richness to the taste
I better listen to it since it usually never steers me wrong

Back