Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're enjoying Death, Tank. Sounds like a good protector and companion. Has he met your guinea pigs yet?

No but he met one of the chickens and after a tense moment he ended up just giving it big slobbery kisses and didn't go to chase it when I let it go back over the fence which I'm taking as a good sign.

So this morning for just under $95 I got: 12 lbs butter, 3 gal. white vinegar, 3 lb. cream chz., 5 doz eggs, 6 jars of peperoncinis, 3 bottles of worchestershire sauce, 1 bottle of aspirin, 1 sm. thing of parsley (mine didn't grow) & 1.5 lb bacon. Butter was $1 off per lb. so that was a good deal and it freezes well. Now I just need to keep watching for a coffee sale.

I got a tablespoon of coffee in the mail the other day. Hubby said a "bit" more and he could have had a cup of coffee with that oatmeal cookie. 😆

@Tank-Girl death is absolutely gorgeous and reminds me of two I had in our wrecking yard as a guard dog :) . Anyone who got over the fence during the night was still there baled up on top of a wrecked car roof in the morning with great bits missing from their trousers and behind :LOL: .

I had two one was trained to go for the undercarriage and the other for the neck. Anyone who tried to rob my petrol station got pinned to the floor by two strategic positions until the police arrived.

From another website I frequent: Never seen it as a Bingo card

1596116182475.png

Thanks.

Another Yay moment! Had to stop and get eggs this AM. I get them the same place I found my organic PB in the past. They have been out of PB for the last few months and I am down to 2 jars in the pantry. This morning, they had Organic PB 24 oz jars for 4.99 ea. I got a doz. Might go back for another doz. (I like PB:))

Today I went a bit silly.
I brought pre-made mesh panels and gates for my chicken pen to keep the rebels in and away from my garden.
I brought 3 Motherwort plants and 4 Lion's Tail plants, 200grms of dried Motherwort flowers and 20 grams of dried Lion's tail flowers and a packet of Lion's tail seeds.
A huge seed order for my summer garden.
A 20 kg bag of Diatomaceous earth.
A carton of plastic food grade 150 ltr drum liners.

This pension I need to buy some vodka to make tinctures of the dried herbs I brought.
I am finally, FINALLY getting the roof rack for my car!
And, I'm committed to paying double rent.

I wish I could pay double rent... but I own the place so it would come out of one pocket and go into another - then I would probably forget that I had it... :(

My brain is acting like it's autumn even though the weather outside disagrees. I even threw together a pot of chicken soup in the crock pot for dinner today. Hubs is going to look at me funny when he gets home and smells the soup, but he'll gladly eat it.🥣 I'll just pair it with a salad and we'll be good to go.

I've been putting that 'stimulus' money to work these past few weeks. I'm getting that uneasy feeling again, which is typical in the fall for me, but more-so with all the CV crap going on and with the election right around the corner. I know I was feeling this way in 2016 as well. I've been trying to think of anything I will need for the next year and make sure to get it now. I've been hearing that there are shortages on everything right now including applicances, home goods such as cabinets and lumber, steel, ammo, etc. etc. etc. So, I put in a large online order of various things. I have an extra dehumidier on the way, extra shoes, some books, cell phones, etc. I already have 2 extra air conditioners in storage as well.

Last month I added to my stock on the following items:
soup mix
chili mix
Reds fish seasoning
tomato sauce
lip balm (on clearance for .18 per tube):)
popcorn
vitamins
energy bars
shampoo
body wash
razor blades (wow, are they expensive!)
mouse traps
shovels (on clearance for $3)
socks
hot sauce
nuts
coffee
spices/seasonings
plastic silverware
paper plates
cheese (for the freezer)
beer (with rebates):)
salad dressings
sugar free hard candies
jersey gloves
bathroom spray
toilet bowl cleaner
scrubbies
windex
office supplies including envelopes, tape, etc. (at the dollar store)
dog food - hopefully enough to last until the spring
dog meds - enough for a year

I also exchanged a propane tank and have a few more to get filled.....hopefully within the next couple of weeks. We also need to buy a carport for our firewood and maybe a small shed. I wish we weren't so busy with other stuff b/c I really would like to spend more time and energy on getting stuff shored up before the end of the month. I'll wait until after Labor Day to fill the gas cans since the prices usually drop then. If we have to get gas in a quick hurry, that shouldn't be a problem for us. I'll feel better once we get all the propane tanks filled though but I need hubs to help with that and he just too busy right now, but I know he wants that done before deer season. The freezers are all packed with mostly meat right now, so if hubs gets a deer this year I don't know where we'll put it. Although, I'm sure that won't stop him from hunting. Well find room.

It looks like there will be a sale on laundry detergent next week so I will stock up on that too even though I already have enough for quite some time.

I'm thinking about getting another Berkey even though I really don't need one. I think an extra one in storage would be a good idea.

I really also need to get things organized. I've been adding to the pantry and spare room, but haven't really taken the time to put it away properly. I'm just more intent on getting stuff home right now and feel like I can organize it later when the weather cools down. Ahhhh......my brain's going into overdrive. Maybe I should cut back on the coffee?:coffee: LOL!

I've been adding things little by little. I buy extra of whatever is on the list that week
Also been dehydrating things now that they've started to mature. Everything is a couple of weeks behind because of the cold in the Spring
Started adding extra vitamins and minerals. Hubby takes magnesium and I take Zinc. We both take a multivitamin every day. We've been feeling better and have more energy since we've started.
I have a 5 gallon bucket of laundry detergent that I bought a few years ago at a Mennonite store. That is the backup laundry cleaner lol I have at least 3 huge jugs ( the kind you lay on the side with a spigot) in storage all the time. I use one I go buy one.
I just added 3 more cans of Comet. I like using it to really scrub things down. Thinking of getting more next week too. It'll keep.
I'd like to get another couple of 50lb bags of the pup's food for storage and some more biscuits for their "goodies".
I need to buy another large bundle of paper towels. I have one but want another
Anytime I walk past the canned meats and seafoods I buy some. I use them so its not like they go to waste.
I have to remember to buy more oatmeal. Not only for breakfast but also for cookies and muffins and pancakes

Have no idea whats going to happen this fall. Of course I'm expecting another shutdown just because they can get away with it

Added more basmati rice, more red lentils for dal and ordered some Indian 5 spice, also called panch poron (fenugreek, nigella, cumin, black mustard and fennel seeds). We had a hard time finding red lentils in preparation for the pandemic. I have some along with several varieties of legumes that are used specifically in making dals. Daughter makes dal with red lentils, onion, and garlic. Red lentils cook in 20 minutes. Served with basmati rice, it can be a quick and easy meal. Add a piece of naan or other Indian flat bread, yum!

Stocked up on Kroger peanut butter 10 for $10. I found bags of orange lentils at the discount salvage Amish store for a buck. Bought a bunch. Anything other than brown ones are pricey.
I'm feeling the need to get my ducks in a row, too. Still going through and unpacking food storage, and combining what I brought, what I had here, and what I've recently bought. Will need to do animal food next. The 100 chicks in the family room right now will need something other than chick starter, soon enough. My cousin grows and does his own. I should find out what he's doing. Right now is hay cutting. 24 of those giant rolls just left our farm this morning. So, ours is done, and they're working on theres. Our round top is full to the brim with organic hay in square bales. I think they've been sold and will be picked up soon.

I just moved in with Mom to take care of her. The wife is in good shape and I brought down enough TP, oatmeal, coffee, and a few other items to get us through for a year+. Mom always kept a good pantry but I feel the need to stock her up. My SIL moved in so 3 of us here plus my brother, sometimes.

I'm now on an island with no agriculture. Fishing is viable but little else.

Stocked up on Kroger peanut butter 10 for $10. I found bags of orange lentils at the discount salvage Amish store for a buck. Bought a bunch. Anything other than brown ones are pricey.
I'm feeling the need to get my ducks in a row, too. Still going through and unpacking food storage, and combining what I brought, what I had here, and what I've recently bought. Will need to do animal food next. The 100 chicks in the family room right now will need something other than chick starter, soon enough. My cousin grows and does his own. I should find out what he's doing. Right now is hay cutting. 24 of those giant rolls just left our farm this morning. So, ours is done, and they're working on theres. Our round top is full to the brim with organic hay in square bales. I think they've been sold and will be picked up soon.
That is a great price on peanut butter and the orange lentils. They typically go for more than $2 a pound, and closer to $2.50.

Put up another 8-foot shelf in the shed for non-food item storage. Ordered 6 more plastic totes from Walmart after finding additional space in the storage room. I will continue to order additional food supplies from Walmart as they get in stock. I think it might be a bad winter in many ways.

Glad to see so many laying in more supplies, of what ever type you are needing. We are pretty much doing same thing. One thing I want to bulk up on is more meat. Gonna defrost both freezers and clean out anything that's out of date. Everytime we defrost we always find some stuff. Veggirs, fruits go in the compost, so it's not wasted. I need to take a long look at more long term freeze dried goods. We made 2 buys I guess in April. Stocked up fairly well, but some stuff was out of stock. Need to do an inventory and fill in holes, bulk up other stuff.

In the last few days I've saw links to youtube vid's of folks talking about list of many items to stock on that would be useful. Some I wouldn't be interested in, but some stuff I never give much thought to. I've kept list going as I watched. Sometimes I feel like stuff comes up as a promt to do something. Seems like others are getting that same feeling

I believe the orange colored lentils are called red lentils. If you look at the package, I'd bet they say red lentils. I just looked at a package I bought this week that are orange, but are called red.

I’ve not been to a store in a week anyway but have harvested 5 huge heads of cauliflower and have one more that I’m letting it grow a little longer. Put about 25 meals worth in the freezer so far. In doing so, I decided I need to stock up on seal a meal bags. I get the rolls and cut them to whatever size I need. I keep a good stock but want to have an abundance. I’ll probably get more coffee and peanut butter too. I am also glad to see I’m not alone in thinking we need to stock up in the next 3 months.

Last edited:
Cleaned one of Mom's freezers and picked out stuff that was freezer burned, unidentifiable, or just plain old. My brother was out today and used the excavator to mount an outboard on a customer's boat. I had him dig a hole near the apple trees to bury the old meat from the freezers. Might as well get some benefit for the trees and open up freezer space.

I just thought of something that might be food for thought here. One of my goals in prepping is to try to eliminate the need or use of items. (Disclosure - this doesn’t apply to coffee 😉). An example- I used to go through a lot of paper towels. I now use cloth paper towels and haven’t bought paper towels for several years. I’m still working on it. As long as I’m buying stuff, I have room for improvement.

I have seven new baby hens (well, they are about six weeks old now) waiting to join my existing dozen, so eggs won't be a problem! Put in a new batch of bush beans and I am waiting on my tomatoes (lots of them, large, but tennis ball green right now) and winter squash to ripen. I think I am done planting for this season, except for the indoor hydroponics greens.

Back