Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a battery pack for my flip phone I can keep in my pack in case the power goes out, or if I'm out in the woods for extended time. also a charger to keep in the truck that charges off the lighter receptical.

I had a bad run with phone chargers/cables in 2020. 3 had connector issues and there was a voltage issue with 2 more. So now I test them in the store if possible, if not then as soon as I get home. Best to be sure, especially if you count on it for an emergency. :)

I picked up some crystalized lemon today. Each little packet is supposed to be like a wedge of lemon. I thought it probably has a shelf life of almost forever. And in a situation, might be good to add to canning like I do lemon juice now. Has anybody used it?

I picked up some crystalized lemon today. Each little packet is supposed to be like a wedge of lemon. I thought it probably has a shelf life of almost forever. And in a situation, might be good to add to canning like I do lemon juice now. Has anybody used it?
I got some from Dollar Tree a few months ago. Tried it and liked it so on the next trip I bought a lot.

I picked up some crystalized lemon today. . . . . Has anybody used it?

I'm not familiar with the crystallized lemon but that reminds me of something else. I was thinking about getting some vitamin c tablets but haven't used them before. It seems like it all has something in it now though. It's either gummies or has rose hips or it's in a gelatin capsule. Have you used the Vitamin C as your ascorbic acid?

You can get ascorbic acid in several forms:
Pure powdered form – seasonally available among canners' supplies in supermarkets. One level teaspoon of pure powder weighs about 3 grams. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water as a treatment solution.

Vitamin C tablets – economical and available year-round in many stores. Buy 500-milligram tablets; crush and dissolve six tablets per gallon of water as a treatment solution.

Commercially prepared mixes of ascorbic and citric acid – seasonally available among canners' supplies in supermarkets. Sometimes citric acid powder is sold in supermarkets, but it is less effective in controlling discoloration. If you choose to use these products, follow the manufacturer's directions.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_01/ascorbic_acid.html
Look at the ingredients on this one. It's the most basic one I could find.
Nature Made Vitamin C 1000 mg Tablets Supplement, 105 Count - Walmart.com

I'm not familiar with the crystallized lemon but that reminds me of something else. I was thinking about getting some vitamin c tablets but haven't used them before. It seems like it all has something in it now though. It's either gummies or has rose hips or it's in a gelatin capsule. Have you used the Vitamin C as your ascorbic acid?

You can get ascorbic acid in several forms:
Pure powdered form – seasonally available among canners' supplies in supermarkets. One level teaspoon of pure powder weighs about 3 grams. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water as a treatment solution.

Vitamin C tablets – economical and available year-round in many stores. Buy 500-milligram tablets; crush and dissolve six tablets per gallon of water as a treatment solution.

Commercially prepared mixes of ascorbic and citric acid – seasonally available among canners' supplies in supermarkets. Sometimes citric acid powder is sold in supermarkets, but it is less effective in controlling discoloration. If you choose to use these products, follow the manufacturer's directions.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_01/ascorbic_acid.html
Look at the ingredients on this one. It's the most basic one I could find.
Nature Made Vitamin C 1000 mg Tablets Supplement, 105 Count - Walmart.com
I didn't know that. I actually don't use ascorbic acid, only lemon juice or salt. I don't care for pickles so don't have that experience.

I had to travel yesterday to deliver a package. I really didn't want to, but again, I wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to stock up on some things. I went by a store I don't typically get to go to. I didn't really need anything, but thought I'd grab some of the heavier stuff and get it home and also load up on fresh veges and salads.

beer (on sale) and with a rebate too! 🤑
4 more boxes plastic forks and utensils
4 more packs of paper plates
2 boxes saran wrap
2 sprouting kits (on clearance) maybe for gifts?
garden hose (on clearance)
6 - GV canned chicken 2 packs (much cheaper than Keystone)
3 - Keystone ground beef cans (the last 3 on the shelf)
bag of pellets for smoker
2 critter mineral blocks
4 bottles TB cleaner
3 cans cheap spray paint
3 whole cut up chickens for .99 per pound (managers special)

Also grabbed a few deals here and there. The car wasn't loaded down like usual, but I didn't have much time to shop or to gather a list. I really didn't need anything. However, if the lockdowns are attempted again, we'll probably be having some potlucks here like we did the last time. I topped off the gas tank on the way home.

Last edited:
I had a bad run with phone chargers/cables in 2020. 3 had connector issues and there was a voltage issue with 2 more. So now I test them in the store if possible, if not then as soon as I get home. Best to be sure, especially if you count on it for an emergency. :)

We have had a terrible run also with anything other than OEM chargers for iPhones. 4 cords in 2021 quit charging! Not sure what’s going on but the cords are the problem not the actual plug.
Had to order for new ones from Target as they had the lowest price on Apple OEM cords- Expensive but cheaper than replacing my phone or going to the Apple store(50 miles away).
Even sprang for a 6 foot cord as we use them at our bedside tables and often in the car.

I’ve been working on my inventory list. I’ve pretty much gone shelf by shelf and written down what’s there. Then I made categories and plug the info in. I’m not done yet, but I’ve also organized the pantry in doing this. Also have come to the conclusion we have lots of beans - which could be good or bad 😂. Also consolidating if more than one of something is open (only had 1-2 of those) but space is valuable. It will be nice to have a master list and be able to refer to it through the seasons. I’m thinking at least a couple times per year doing a count. It should be easier and quicker if I don’t have to sort or reorganize.

This is actually cute. A while back I had mentioned to Hubby that if he needed new boots, he should get them ordered. He finally ordered 2 pair of the kind he wears, and they showed up last week. Today, he said, "You know what I'm really happy about?" I said what. He said having 2 pairs of new boots in the closet. He said it's just comforting knowing they are there. I have certain things like that too. I am glad we are both on the same page about such things.

Doing a pantry inventory Tuesday.
Though I don't really no why.
I'm pretty much out of everything.
Not much in chest freezer.
Running on empty right now.
Will have to get meat ordered.
I'm pretty sure I filled the refrig freezer earlier.
Will have to get more canned goods, flour,smallest bag of sugar I can find.
Will need more coffee too.
Wal*Mart had Folgers coffee for $7 a can.

Doing a pantry inventory Tuesday.
Though I don't really no why.
I'm pretty much out of everything.
Not much in chest freezer.
Running on empty right now.
Will have to get meat ordered.
I'm pretty sure I filled the refrig freezer earlier.
Will have to get more canned goods, flour,smallest bag of sugar I can find.
Will need more coffee too.
Wal*Mart had Folgers coffee for $7 a can.
You probably have a pretty good idea of how much of what you go through, but it will help you to know just what to put on the list.

You probably have a pretty good idea of how much of what you go through, but it will help you to know just what to put on the list.
Right now I just eat to be able to take medicine.
Hence why I'm pretty much out of everything.
I would rather spend time with my dad, sons, grand daughters.

Been thinking about the holidays coming up and how some things may not be on the shelves or higher in price.
I plan to go to the local grocery tomorrow and I'll be buying us a turkey tenderloin for Thanksgiving or Christmas (haven't decided).
They rarely go on sale like they do whole turkeys and its the right size for just the 2 of us and I don't know if it'll go up in price.
I already have some cranberries frozen to make the sauce.
And I have the makings for everything else

It was just something to think about. Next week will be the start of October(so that means Christmas stuff! lol)

I bought a new Coleman, single burner, butane stove. I felt that one of the holes in my preps was the ability to cook indoors if the power goes out. Amazon delivered the stove, but not the butane I ordered with it. :dunno:

Go figure. I will find some somewhere, but that was disappointing.

Been thinking about the holidays coming up and how some things may not be on the shelves or higher in price. . .

You know, there's just no denying that great minds think alike. :dancing:
I have been thinking and planning for that same possibility.

I'm sure there will be turkeys available but how many and how much will they cost? I got one can of the Keystone turkey and can use that for a turkey and stuffing casserole that will taste about the same as having a slice of turkey with the dressing. My local family owned store already has cans of pumpkin and sweet potatoes, as well as ground turkey, on sale so I'm loading up on those in a big way.

When it comes to Thanksgiving, believe me, whatever I put it on a plate somebody will show up to eat it. ;)

I bought a new Coleman, single burner, butane stove.
Hey Morgan, is it the little blue one with carrying case? I see one on Amazon for 29.99. I like your idea, it's an area I need to evaluate.

Hey Morgan, is it the little blue one with carrying case? I see one on Amazon for 29.99. I like your idea, it's an area I need to evaluate.

Yes. That is the one. It looks and works exactly like this one. Well, it is supposed to work like this one. It looks the same. With no fuel I can only guess it works the same.

Growing up in a farm community means I know everybody for miles around, comes in handy sometimes.

I went and talked to a guy today, Mr. R. My grandfather and his dad were good friends. Grandpa used to rent their fields and grew cotton. Long ago I've plowed cotton in those same fields that I saw today.

Mr. R has a fair crop of corn he'll start harvesting next week. He has Mosby white corn which is what I want but unsure if he's going to sell any. It didn't do well at all. He also has an old dent yellow corn from his dads seed stocks. It has no name.

Anyway, I can buy all the yellow corn I want for $4 bushel (56lbs). I can also buy it shelled or on the cob.

My only concern is moisture content with all the rains we've had... I want to store another 20gallons of shelled corn for cornmeal this year.

Peanut, would a food dryer or oven on low help with the moisture?
Yes but it becomes a logistical issue. A few apple slices in my dehydrator is a lot different than a couple hundred pounds of shelled corn.

I'll first have to test a small batch to figure out the moisture content. I can live 12/13%. Any higher and spoilage becomes a worry.

If needs be I can make a large dehydrator. My clothes dryer is gas and it has a flexible exhaust pipe. Just a matter of controlling the hot dry exhaust air and making it flow over a thin layer of corn.

Been thinking about the holidays coming up and how some things may not be on the shelves or higher in price.
I plan to go to the local grocery tomorrow and I'll be buying us a turkey tenderloin for Thanksgiving or Christmas (haven't decided).
They rarely go on sale like they do whole turkeys and its the right size for just the 2 of us and I don't know if it'll go up in price.
I already have some cranberries frozen to make the sauce.
And I have the makings for everything else

It was just something to think about. Next week will be the start of October(so that means Christmas stuff! lol)
You know, there's just no denying that great minds think alike. :dancing:
I have been thinking and planning for that same possibility.

I'm sure there will be turkeys available but how many and how much will they cost? I got one can of the Keystone turkey and can use that for a turkey and stuffing casserole that will taste about the same as having a slice of turkey with the dressing. My local family owned store already has cans of pumpkin and sweet potatoes, as well as ground turkey, on sale so I'm loading up on those in a big way.

When it comes to Thanksgiving, believe me, whatever I put it on a plate somebody will show up to eat it. ;)
I did mental inventory for Thanksgiving and Christmas supper yesterday. Have everything. Our turkeys are still breathing, though.
I've been watching for turkeys for a month now. Asked at the store where I usually get ours. They said it will probably be another month before they get them in. I just keep looking for them and will nab a couple when they arrive.

Back