Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lard.jpg

NUTRITION
Why lard’s healthier than you think

Pros: Here piggy, piggy, piggy!
This rendered pig blubber is not a typical saturated animal fat. With an unusual chemical composition, pure lard contains no trans fats.
And in terms of its fatty acids, it’s better than butter: Lard is 60 per cent monounsaturated fat, which is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease. Butter is 45 per cent monounsaturated fat.

Most of lard’s monounsaturated fat is oleic acid, a heart-healthy essential fatty acid found in olive oil and associated with decreasing LDLs, thus lowering “bad” cholesterol. Lard contains about double the amount of oleic acid found in butter, says Nick Bellissimo, assistant professor in Ryerson University’s Department of Nutrition.
Lard’s smoke point is high, about 190C (375F), sources say, making it the ideal frying oil, offering lighter, fluffier, flakier and crispier battered chicken and pie crusts fried in a shorter time, without burning and turning carcinogenic.

Pig fat is odourless and tasteless when rendered properly.
Lard and butter have the same trace amounts of cholesterol — about 95 milligrams per 100 grams of fat, says Bellissimo.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...te.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=star_web_ymbii
https://www.thestar.com/news/insigh...ts.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=star_web_ymbii
Lard has about half as much saturated fat as butter, but about double the saturated fat found in olive oil.
Saturated fat raises LDLs, the bad cholesterol, and lowers HDLs, the good cholesterol. It’s associated with heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and obesity, but it is also vital to metabolism and cell function.
Lard is a source of linoleic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid most North American diets get too much of, but also associated with our body’s normal inflammatory response.
The quality of lard depends on a pig’s diet. As omnivores, swine eat everything from mice to worms to grain to grass.
Lard is fattening. Like any fat, it boasts about nine calories per gram.
The Bottom Line: Purity matters.
Lard, like butter, isn’t as bad as you think it is. But lard, in its pure form, is hard to get.

Since the trend toward plant-based oils began more than two decades ago, lard has been vilified and all but vanished from supermarket shelves.
If it is available now, commercial lard, which comes packaged as a solid substance, is often treated with chemicals and hydrogenated fats, which are associated with heart disease, says registered dietitian Shauna Lindzon.
Rendering lard, boiling it to a liquid from a hunk of pink fat supplied by the butcher, takes time and effort. If you’re a big foodie, it might be worth the work.
For everyone else, choose liquid oil high in monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil or organic, non-GMO canola oil, which are trendy now and healthy, says Lindzon, even for baking your next birthday cake. “The bottom line is change your grandmother’s recipes that call for butter and lard,” she says.
In society’s move toward all natural, organic foods, lard certainly has a place on our plates, says Bellissimo, if eaten in moderation, as part of a balanced diet and not every day. “It tastes great, it works well, it’s a very user friendly fat,” he says. “Small amounts of pork fat are func
https://www.thestar.com/about/aboutus.html

This past week I put in an order for some more LTS foods.

We organized and defrosted a large chest freezer. I made a list and wrote down where we put everything so I don't have to go digging for stuff. We had to make more room for some newly harvested venison. I probably would not have cleaned this freezer out this week, but that venison made it a priority. I also found some things that need to get cooked up soon since they worked their way down to the bottom, never to be seen again until a good cleaning. Now, all the fresh stuff is on the bottom and the stuff that needs to get used up is toward the top. We also found way more burger than we thought we had. I see a lot of tacos, spaghetti, burgers, and chili in our future menus.

I have bic lighters like most folks keep in the house and preps (standard 3" length). How often does anyone check bic lighters in preps? They do leak sometimes.

On a farm I use lighters so often I keep one in my pocket. I always end up with 7 or 8 lighters in drawers, vehicles, tool bags etc that are almost empty. But what is empty? I can't see the amount of fuel in the lighter. There has to be a way to know, but how?

Over the last year I didn't toss out empty lighters, I saved them. This morning I weighed by all my loose lighters with my gold scale. I then opened a pack of new lighters and weighed those.

I no longer have to be unsure of bic lighters… Actual average weight of the lighters I tested...

Empty - 16.7 grams
Full - 21.8 grams

As my new rule of thumb...

Empty <17 grams - toss it!
Full >21 grams

Bic lighter a.JPG
Gold Scale a.JPG

Last edited:
Added some more canned veggies
bought 6 cans of evaporated milk. There was a special if you bought 6 you got $3 off your groceries at checkout AND 400 points.
I now have enough points to get a free 14lb spiral ham
They also had ground sausage 3/$10 which is a good price for meat now. Anything under $4 a pound and I'm interested, lol

I have bic lighters like most folks keep in the house and preps (standard 3" length). How often does anyone check bic lighters in preps? They do leak sometimes.

On a farm I use lighters so often I keep one in my pocket. I always end up with 7 or 8 lighters in drawers, vehicles, tool bags etc that are almost empty. But what is empty? I can't see the amount of fuel in the lighter. There has to be a way to know, but how?

Over the last year I didn't toss out empty lighters, I saved them. This morning I weighed by all my loose lighters with my gold scale. I then opened a pack of new lighters and weighed those.

I no longer have to be unsure of bic lighters… Actual average weight of the lighters I tested...

Empty - 16.7 grams
Full - 21.8 grams

As my new rule of thumb...

Empty <17 grams - toss it!
Full >21 grams

View attachment 76129View attachment 76130
You can...

Look at the opaque bottom
Or
Try lighting them.

20211126_134559_HDR.jpg

Bic lighters are rock solid with a flame height that only diminishes when it is close to being empty.

Ben

You can...
Look at the opaque bottom
Or
Try lighting them.
Ben

DUH! Which is what happens with lighters scattered everywhere on a farm... Everytime I pick one up I have to shake, look, try to light.

OR, one and done, weigh them all in less than 5 minutes and toss the bad ones... Problem solved, no more shaking or looking every time I pick up a lighter. The idea is to reduce time wasted and annoyance. Weigh it an you know exactly how much gas is left.

DUH! Which is what happens with lighters scattered everywhere on a farm... Everytime I pick one up I have to shake, look, try to light.

OR, one and done, weigh them all in less than 5 minutes and toss the bad ones... Problem solved, no more shaking or looking every time I pick up a lighter. The idea is to reduce time wasted and annoyance. Weigh it an you know exactly how much gas is left.
Fair enough but I buy them in bulk for a buck a piece and stay stocked up. They can be a valuable barter item.

20211126_142929_HDR.jpg

I peel the safety sticker off when i start a new lighter. That way i can feel which lighter in my pocket is my active lighter.

;)

Ben

According to a coworker you can refill them & replace the striker.
He refilled one for me.
I do not understand why, it is like washing a paper cup, good ideal if it was the last one, but I would store many different ways to start a fire.

I have a nice selection of zippos from my military days, still have one new in the case. I have a container filled with flints, wicks, also have plenty of fluid stocked. They'll still work long after the bic's are gone.

But I agree with the paper cup analogy. Why bother refilling bic's now. After shtf it'd be a different discussion.

I have a nice selection of zippos from my military days, still have one new in the case. I have a container filled with flints, wicks, also have plenty of fluid stocked. They'll still work long after the bic's are gone.

But I agree with the paper cup analogy. Why bother refilling bic's now. After shtf it'd be a different discussion.
I used to carry zippos. I used to over fill them and ended up with chemical burns on my leg.

:confused2:
Ben

ive been looking at my pantry and decided to stock up on some flavor extracts for baking. there is the regular vanilla---i make that with vanilla beans, but there is maple extract, cinnamon extract, banana, blueberry,pumpkin, maple, etc. theres lots of others.

flavors, comfort
im not fancy . i like making a batch of granola bars once a week for a sort of snack or crumble up with milk for breakfast. and using differetn flavoerings for variey. some chopped nuts, some dice4d dried fruit and i can mke plain or add a flavor for an extra boost so it doesnt get boring. . my favorite is maple.

one day i might not be able to get bananas or blueberries, ya know?

not very important but it can be a comfort down the road

Hit the walmart this morning.
Added to the supplies. Also had to get 2 ink cartridges for the printer (that gives me 2 black and now 2 colored)
Today I added:
Canned veggies (certain name brands had big holes in their products)
Canned meats (there was product but it was moved forward and empty behind it)
Canned soups (big gaps in the soups)
Pastas and noodles
Coffee and some teas (all fully stocked)
Paper products (paper towels had huge gaps)
Boxed stuffing (love this with a fried egg on top for breakfast lol)(again product moved forward on the shelf)
Boxed potatoes (same as the stuffing. moved forward)
Some condiments (also grabbed some soy sauce and teriyaki sauce)
Canned fruits
Picked up 2 bags of fresh cranberries which I'll freeze
I splurged and bought myself a pair of slippers(whole $10 lol)

I need to start to stock up on canned beans. I have pounds of dried but want the convenience of the canned.
I didn't think of it this morning and I'll have to check the local grocery friday and get started
Can them ,really easy

ive been looking at my pantry and decided to stock up on some flavor extracts for baking. there is the regular vanilla---i make that with vanilla beans, but there is maple extract, cinnamon extract, banana, blueberry,pumpkin, maple, etc. theres lots of others.

flavors, comfort
im not fancy . i like making a batch of granola bars once a week for a sort of snack or crumble up with milk for breakfast. and using differetn flavoerings for variey. some chopped nuts, some dice4d dried fruit and i can mke plain or add a flavor for an extra boost so it doesnt get boring. . my favorite is maple.

one day i might not be able to get bananas or blueberries, ya know?

not very important but it can be a comfort down the road
Word of caution - they will turn to alcohol. I had some lemon extract, got the big bottle at restaurant supply for same price as little bottle in the store. Hadn't used it for a while & went to make lemon frosting - with a bang! Kapow! Those were almost some powerful cookies. 😂 It's now in the liquor cabinet in case it can be used for something medical. I would say be sure to just keep the rotation up.

Word of caution - they will turn to alcohol. I had some lemon extract, got the big bottle at restaurant supply for same price as little bottle in the store. Hadn't used it for a while & went to make lemon frosting - with a bang! Kapow! Those were almost some powerful cookies. 😂 It's now in the liquor cabinet in case it can be used for something medical. I would say be sure to just keep the rotation up.
They are alcohol. They use alcohol to "extract" the flavour from lemon, vanilla, etc.

Word of caution - they will turn to alcohol. I had some lemon extract, got the big bottle at restaurant supply for same price as little bottle in the store. Hadn't used it for a while & went to make lemon frosting - with a bang! Kapow! . . . .

Wonder if you could make a rum cake and substitute the lemon for the rum. That could be really good . . . or not?

They are alcohol. They use alcohol to "extract" the flavour from lemon, vanilla, etc.
Wonder if you could make a rum cake and substitute the lemon for the rum. That could be really good . . . or not?
Yea, they are OH, but not like this! If I had more, I'm pretty sure it could power a jet.

Just ordered some activated charcoal and some quercetin.

Saw where a stomach "thing" was going around in some states and I want to be ready with the charcoal. You can't find it here, I've looked in all the pharmacies and at walmart.

Been wanting some quercetin to go with the zinc, D and C that I take. Supposed to help against the wuhan and all its variants. I was only allowed to buy 3 bottles. Surprised there was a limit.

I received my order of nonfat dry milk from the LDS store. It's stamped right out on the box that it is best used by Oct2041. I'm not even going to open the box. It's all packed up tight so it's going directly into the storage unit. I also got the email that my Dollar Tree order is in so I'll pick that up this weekend. I placed both orders on 11/23 so that's pretty good. I half way expected not to get them until Christmas.

I cooked one 16 lb. future turkey a few days ago and divided it up right away then filled three quart size freezer bags with just the breast meat alone. Drumsticks and thighs frozen separately. That will come in really handy for sandwiches and casseroles. I cooked another 16 pound present day turkey that's in the frig. This afternoon I'll turn the rest of it into future turkey. I like to do a little time traveling when I cook. :brewing:

I could go on, but I don't kid myself. There are limits as to what is doable. The world has changed and only a lucky few will escape unscathed.

clem, we arent meant to escape . you have gifts and knowledge no one else has , everyone of us does. God has us where He wants us. we are here to do the best we can til Jesus returns or call su home. . things are changing like almost every day and it seems a lot of crap coming our way.. i dont think ill survive the hard times but i will keep on kicking.

He guides us thru the storms.

Last edited:
Just ordered some activated charcoal and some quercetin.

Saw where a stomach "thing" was going around in some states and I want to be ready with the charcoal.
Do you normally get your charcoal from a chain store or local shop? I was thinking back in the summer I should get a couple more pounds. I haven't looked locally because its 40+ miles to the nearest place. I guess I could order it online.

Have you heard anymore about the stomach bug since you posted? I still haven't seen anything on local news sites. News people manipulate all news so it's hard to know sometimes.

I use yellowroot tea, great antiviral and antibacterial, great for a stomach bug. But it is so astringent green persimmons are jealous, takes lots of honey to make it palatable. I need to harvest a little anyway, always try to keep a handful of reasonably fresh stems on hand during winter.

clem, we arent meant to escape . you have gifts and knowledge no one else has , everyone of us does. God has us where He wants us. we are here to do the best we can til Jesus returns or call su home. . things are changing like almost every day and it seems a lot of crap coming our way.. i dont think ill survive the hard times but i will keep on kicking.

He guides us thru the storms.
Spot on!

Bought a distiller. One daughter and family has moved into our guest house and my dad moved into the basement indefinitely, all the other kids and grandkids live within 20 minutes of us now so I decided no matter how much alcohol I had stashed it wouldn’t be enough if TSHTF.
Bought a bunch of the rechargeable lightbulbs, seeds, and ordered some composting worms to start a worm bin. Started growing super worms to feed the chickens.
I’ve been busy baking cookies to sell at my daughter’s thrift store. Can’t bake them fast enough to keep up. Apparently homemade from scratch cookies aren’t a common thing anymore & I’ve been cashing in. We’ll start woodworking projects to sell at the store this weekend with the boy. The proceeds will all go to enlarging our chicken yard and coop.

Latest posts

Back