Preparing for the long haul

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.

Is there a chance you could over fill the main tank?

Ben
He has about a 32 gallon main tank and a 43 gallon reserve tank so, yes, overfill is a possibility. He will have to pay close attention to the gauge.

One option with this setup is to add a timer switch in series with the rocker switch. You can get those in 1/2 or 1 hour capabilities. I'd probably get the 1 hour model and then dial it up to 1/2 hour, 1 hour, or what other time I felt comfortable with. I'd still keep an eye on the gauge but this will reduce the chance for human error. Both switches will need to be on in order to open the valve.

Trucks with dual tanks, that I have driven, had a switch that changed from tank A to tank B.

Nice.

Is there a chance you could over fill the main tank?

Ben

If the main tank fuel cap doesn’t seal then yes it is possible. Most people don’t have an issue with because there isn’t enough pressure in the system to force it out. This is one of the reasons I installed the 12volt valve, I can choose when I want it to flow or shut off by simply pushing a rocker switch on my dash. I probably won’t turn it on until I’ve used at least a quarter of a tank and I will watch my factory tank gauge and shut it off when it’s back over 3/4 if tank. Some guys use a timer and set it for 15 minutes and it automatically shuts off. I had a fuel gauge added to my auxiliary tank so I can watch the fuel level.

Last edited:
Mine overflows. It’s a juggle from the tank in back to the saddle tanks, and I wish my dad had written a few things down. On this one, it transfers from the back to the left, but either a fuse or filter needs changing because I can only access gas from the right saddle. One of the kids hit the rocker switch and gas kept flowing, right out the gas cap. It’s a beast of a truck, more than I can handle.
Wish I could get your two cents on how to get it going. You seem to do things right.

Mine overflows. It’s a juggle from the tank in back to the saddle tanks, and I wish my dad had written a few things down. On this one, it transfers from the back to the left, but either a fuse or filter needs changing because I can only access gas from the right saddle. One of the kids hit the rocker switch and gas kept flowing, right out the gas cap. It’s a beast of a truck, more than I can handle.
Wish I could get your two cents on how to get it going. You seem to do things right.
Tootsie if it’s a Ford with dual tanks sometimes the selector valve sticks or goes bad and it will cause the fuel to be pushed from one tank to another. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Sorry didn’t get these pictures in the thread earlier. This is the 12v valve that I’m using. I bought two where I would have a backup if it fails on the road. I expect to get a lot of life out the one on my truck. There was a lot of great reviews on this one and from others they have exceptional customer service. I wasn’t thrilled about it being made in China but I couldn’t find anything made in the USA that was affordable and had good reviews.
CDB8081F-D804-4A58-8A25-9D852C09D9B7.jpeg
CE3E56D5-95A5-4F79-96A2-33C9E46CBDC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back