Preparing for Winter and Colder Weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In about 3 to 4 days we're supposed to get down in the 30"s, I just lit the wood stove that had a bunch of junk mail and cardboard in it and the warmth it's given makes my body happy, didn't put any wood in, that would have made my wife too warm and then the windows would have to be opened, defeating the whole reason I wanted a fire in the first place.

Since we have been living in the south for a while we had to purchase more winter gear. We had some but it was too nice to wear outside and do work. Luckily Tractor Supply had a sale on winter clothing a few weeks ago. I made some winter kits for the vehicles. We are still waiting for the snow plow we ordered for our tractor. We are slowly stocking up on food again since we moved recently. We probably need some more firewood saved but since we have a house generator so thats not a necessity. I think we are ready for winter. It's been a long time since we have been through a real one. The best part is that none of us work so we dont have to go out!

Since we have been living in the south for a while we had to purchase more winter gear. We had some but it was too nice to wear outside and do work. Luckily Tractor Supply had a sale on winter clothing a few weeks ago. I made some winter kits for the vehicles. We are still waiting for the snow plow we ordered for our tractor. We are slowly stocking up on food again since we moved recently. We probably need some more firewood saved but since we have a house generator so thats not a necessity. I think we are ready for winter. It's been a long time since we have been through a real one. The best part is that none of us work so we dont have to go out!
I'm home if it gets stupid! Heck, I am home most rainy days!😃🤔

We have been getting dumped on with snow. Third year in a row with heavy early winter snows. I understand that areas near me have set all time records. Snow is already mid thigh deep. Good thing I like to push and blow snow with all of my toys. They are getting a good workout this year.

Just got 4 space blanket sleeping bags for the cars. One for a gift. These are supposedly sturdier than the one I had to use when my car and I spent the night in a snow drift. It lasted the entire night, which is all I needed. I have 100 space blankets on the way. The price was too good to pass on.

Just got 4 space blanket sleeping bags for the cars. One for a gift. These are supposedly sturdier than the one I had to use when my car and I spent the night in a snow drift. It lasted the entire night, which is all I needed. I have 100 space blankets on the way. The price was too good to pass on.
Even in west Texas people get stranded in blizzards! You NEVER know.....personal preparation is being prepared EVERYWHERE you are!!

Even in west Texas people get stranded in blizzards! You NEVER know.....personal preparation is being prepared EVERYWHERE you are!!
I'd do fine in FL almost anytime of the year, just in a tee shirt. Someone from FL thinks it gets cold there and could use emergency blankets.

I'd do fine in FL almost anytime of the year, just in a tee shirt. Someone from FL thinks it gets cold there and could use emergency blankets.
And they would need one because it IS cold to them! As much as I LOVE summer, I am not from the south and do rather well in the cold, worked outside in it a lot! But I now get cold easier, probably because I don't dress like I did up home! I spend A LOT of time outside in the extreme heat all summer now too!

And they would need one because it IS cold to them! As much as I LOVE summer, I am not from the south and do rather well in the cold, worked outside in it a lot! But I now get cold easier, probably because I don't dress like I did up home! I spend A LOT of time outside in the extreme heat all summer now too!
I
Just in a tee shirt? Does your tush get cold?

Latest posts

Back