Preparing for Winter and Colder Weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready or not, it's here for me!

Latest Conditions
Cloudy with Mist and Fog
-1°F -18°C
Feels Like -1°F -18.3°C
Humidity 85%Wind Calm
Dew Point -4°FCeiling 300 ft.
Solar Rad 11 w/m2
Barometer N/A

Kinda never ends does it? I've been working on getting the snow plow rebuilt all summer n now its winter.
New studded tires on the cars. New synthetic oil. Check block heaters. Get the heated water bowls for the rabbits set up. Go through 8 snogos, get load of freight organized for the cabin.
Still need 6 more bales of hay n 10 bags of rabbit pellets to make it through winter. Couple bags of sunflower seeds for the song birds. Get the outdoor night lights working. New ones installed.
Get all the freight sleds gathered up n ready. Gotta get one ready for resale. Still gotta build a better snow cover for the boat. Get all the gas cans filled. Get some more firewood in. Build on to woodshed to hold more wood. Find all the snow gear. Get new Christmas lights up. Buy some new Muck arctic pro boots.
And then there's next week's list. Looks a lot like this week's list.
Most important is making sure little man's snogo is up n running. Getting ready to build a campfire to hang out around n make smores. Continue to provide opportunities for our family to hang out together, just gotta do it in the snow
20210411_111436.jpg
20210411_111804.jpg
FB_IMG_1634915639679.jpg
FB_IMG_1634916706069.jpg
received_1340537376329274.jpeg

Got my long johns washed up.
Got my fleece lined jeans out and done up.
Pulled the long sleeve shirts out.
Finally put socks on, put my flip flops away for shoes and boots.
Might turn on the heat in December instead of waiting till January.
Got the extra quilts, flannel sheets, comforters out.
Got pot of pork neck bones and baby Lima beans cooking in crock pot.

Got my long johns washed up.
Got my fleece lined jeans out and done up.
Pulled the long sleeve shirts out.
Finally put socks on, put my flip flops away for shoes and boots.
Might turn on the heat in December instead of waiting till January.
Got the extra quilts, flannel sheets, comforters out.
Got pot of pork neck bones and baby Lima beans cooking in crock pot.
You go girl😊

We all change out things to prepare for winter. Sometimes there are simple things, sometimes more challenging things to do. Our needs are different.

Things I have done and will do in the next few days:

New tires
Changed to flannel sheets on the beds
Closed all the windows
Winterize the swamp cooler
Get out the snow shovel
Fill the tank with window fluid
Switched out from summer clothing to winter clothing
Got out my boots, hat, scarf and gloves

What have you done to prepare for colder weather?

New tires? When Io lived in Colorado i had 2 sets of tires, studded and non studded just switch them out as needed
If you drive a truck, buy 2- 80 pound sacks of concrete and put them in the bed of your truck over the rear axle
find an old blanket to cover your windshield at night. when you get ready to go, remove the blanket and you do not have scrape

New tires? When Io lived in Colorado i had 2 sets of tires, studded and non studded just switch them out as needed
If you drive a truck, buy 2- 80 pound sacks of concrete and put them in the bed of your truck over the rear axle
find an old blanket to cover your windshield at night. when you get ready to go, remove the blanket and you do not have scrape
I think it depends upon where you live in Colorado. In the Front Range, all season tires are very common. You can hear the studded tires, and I hear them once in a while. The bags of concrete will be solid by the end of winter. I have kept sand in case I got hung up on ice.

Just make sure you wrap them in trash bags so they don't get wet and either set up or freeze. Same reason not to use cinder blocks. Ever seen a block go thru the back window of a pickup in an accident? Pray your head isn't in the way when it does.

I used to get the tube sands for the reason that inside the burlap the sand was in a plastic bag so they didn't get wet or freeze. I cut a piece of 2x6 to go behind the wheel well. in nice weather I'd slide all my weight up behind the cab to help with weight distribution. Then when the weather changed I'd slide the sand to the tailgate and put the board on the backside of the wells to keep the sand in place.

More firewood, make sure that I know where the snow plows are, this years weather patterns have been lots of what ever we get, so it could be a big dump of snow all at once or maybe just little sprinkles like so far, I feel the urge to get a fair bit of wood at least near the buildings, So I probably should, and if we get enough snow that I can't get out in the bush, then there won't be much moving

That would be nice. Like others here I'm sure, our heat went on about a month ago. Mornings in the 20's are a little to chill for no heat. With that said though, I'm glad it's not the -1 AlaskaJohn is seeing.
Don't normally turn on heat till January.
Nor do I turn on the air until July.
Saves on electric and gas bills.

Winter preps are area specific, but as to the frozen pipes discussion, living in a building cold enough to freeze pipes would be a bit of a challenge, sure you can do it but I seriously doubt that anyone would just to save a few bucks.
I feel that this winter will bite those that rely on the "I 'll get it when I need it mind set fairly hard, Doing anything outdoors means you need decent hand and foot wear, and a way to dry it, just in time supply is going the way of "Brandon's"
popularity from stolen to non existent.

Doing a thread revival here today. I'm not sure what this winter is going to be like, but I'm thinking it's going to be either really snowy or really cold. I'm thinking probably snowy since the last 2 winters have been rather lacking in snow. Hubby loves that, b/c he doesn't like to plow. The last 2 winters we had a ton of acorns. This year there are hardly any. I don't know if that means anything or not, but I guess we'll see.

I got out my winter go bag for the car and will be going through all of that this week to make sure I'm all set. It's a little too early to get the snow tires on, but it won't be long now. We spent a lot of time cleaning out the garage, getting the winter fluids out and on the shelf, and sealing up all those little cracks and crevices. It took us all day to finally get everything cleaned out, washed, dried, repaired, and back to it's spot. We put together a new shelving unit that should help keep stuff more organized and keep the critters out! The mice are just horrible this year:( However, the garage looks amazing!

We've still got some things that need to be winterized and put to bed, but we've got a month or so left to wrap everything up. I hope we get some more nice fall days to get things done and have a little fun.

farmers almanac says we are gonna be COLD, big storm early jan and bigger colder storm late jan 23. colder than usual with normal snowfall.

i got my extra fire wood delivered , already had a couple small fires in wood stove to keep the chill out. i csan definitly feel the difference in the air. and this week my friend is helping me put up the bubble wrap on the windows. dont laugh its damn good winter insulation and helps keep the place warmer. i got a big old farm ouse style place, drafty and my only heat is the wood stove. putting the bubble wrap up on the windows under the insulated curtains makes a real difference in keeping the place warmer and burning less wood/

as heating fuel rises and gets more dear, something simple like this cna make a difference, it does for me. that and the fleece, leggings, down blanket, etc. just getting ready for whatever comes. prayers for everyone this winter.

Its 12c here and lashing rain, and because I'm sitting at my desk most of the day I get cold easily. I often pop a blanket over me, but its not enough when its freezing.
Today trying out a sleeping bag instead. Have to say it's working well.
Haven't put on our oil heating yet, other than to ensure it's working ok; nor have we lit a fire. Have moved a stash of wood and coal into the back of the shed, so it's closer to the house, only have to walk on concrete to fill up. OH got a load of free pallets to use as cladding the back of the forge and cut plenty up for 'lighters'. Charged up the solar lights, batteries into torches and extra candles at the ready, and various containers of soup in the freezer to be heated on the pot belly stove. Also have collected rainwater in water bottles for toilet flushing, washing etc in case elec goes, as we are on a well. Must throw a blanket into the top of the freezer also. Probably forgotten something...

We started planning what wood we are going to cut this year. Pretty much lined out on the "ready" wood. Will clean and inspect the stove pipe next week and break out the wood bags. I have several large canvas wood bags that are so nice for bringing and storing wood in the house. Also planning some winter projects like cleaning out the big storage shed! As much as I hate winter, it will be here soon.

Winterizing the cabin requires covering the central AC unit, draining hoses, putting away all the outside decorations and lights. Inside is cleaning out the cupboards and fridge. Blankets, pillows, quilts get packed in either dresser drawers, the only cedar blanket chest or huge rubbermaid totes. And a phone call to Spectrum to put the internet/tv on "vacation hold" for about 5 months. The other phone call is to the plumber who goes over there to finish the closing process. He gets to crawl under the house to drain the water tank and hot water heater, blows rv antifreeze through the plumbing lines and shuts down the main electric. Dad is too old to go crawling around under the house, my brother has a bad leg since an accident we don't want him trying to do that when we can hire someone else. I won't do it--dislike the spiders that hide in the dark.

Here in NJ it requires the usual putting away of yard tools and water hoses, draining the rain barrels. Staging the snow/ice stuff where it will be useful. Making sure the ice melt is topped off. Finally, flipping the "on" switch on the oil burner--I do love that "tsssssssssss" sound of the steam rolling through those cast iron radiators.

Its 12c here and lashing rain, and because I'm sitting at my desk most of the day I get cold easily. I often pop a blanket over me, but its not enough when its freezing.
Today trying out a sleeping bag instead. Have to say it's working well.
Haven't put on our oil heating yet, other than to ensure it's working ok; nor have we lit a fire. Have moved a stash of wood and coal into the back of the shed, so it's closer to the house, only have to walk on concrete to fill up. OH got a load of free pallets to use as cladding the back of the forge and cut plenty up for 'lighters'. Charged up the solar lights, batteries into torches and extra candles at the ready, and various containers of soup in the freezer to be heated on the pot belly stove. Also have collected rainwater in water bottles for toilet flushing, washing etc in case elec goes, as we are on a well. Must throw a blanket into the top of the freezer also. Probably forgotten something...

Try wearing a hat and maybe a scarf. Sounds silly but it will make a huge difference. Even a stocking hat.

I dug out the longjohns and wore them the last two nights. I knew I was going to be outside, and I hate being cold. I will wear enough layers to stop a bullet.

It is cooling off a few weeks early here, I will be disconnecting and draining all the hoses, making sure there is a shovel in the truck and windshield deice in the vehicles. Once the temperatures stay below 70 in the daytime I will be closing my raised bed tops. I will be opening the rain water collection system bypass, but because I am year round gardening, I will wait until the night time temperatures hit freezing before I drain my rain barrels.

Back