Preparing for Winter and Colder Weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread, and a timely revival! I know many site members will deal with far colder winter temps than I will, but still, I take certain steps to make life easier (and safer, lol). I always carry water with me in 'The Mighty Camry' no matter what the season, but this time of year I also throw some Mexican blankets in the back seat. I might even throw a sleeping bag in the trunk, since I have several sleeping bags occupying shelf space in my home. Now that I'm using the car mainly for shopping runs, I have plenty of storage space in the trunk... wouldn't hurt to throw a f@rtsack in there with the E-tool (folding Army shovel or entrenching tool), the air pump, the windshield scraper, automotive fluids, tarp, various straps & tie-down ropes, the standard tools carried with me wherever I go, etc. Any time I go on an overnight trip (not likely here in Alamo, but one never knows), I carry extra clothing, food, and whatnot... and there are always lighters in my car, in case the worst happens and I need to build a bonfire. Hey, Bic lighters are good to have as tools, lol. ;)

Here in my home, I'll check the filter for the central heater, it's an American-made Coleman heater built like a tank, lol. I'll have to relight the pilot, since I turned it off and closed all valves for the summer. No point in even wasting gas on the pilot light during triple-digit heat, lol. I also need to check the skirting of my home and block or tape any cracks which might lead to problems in hard frosts... as long as the central heating unit can keep the crawlspace below my home fairly warm just by warming the home above, that'll keep pipes from freezing at night. I have new Pex lines in several areas under the home, so those will help to avoid bursting and leaks. In my home, I use a "draft dodger" at the foot of the front door, it's just a rolled-up towel, lol. I actually use one no matter what the season, since I had that desert centipede crawl under the door a while back. For those with drafty homes, a "draft dodger" in every problem spot will certainly help you stay warm and reduce your heating bills... you can use rolled-up towels for the job. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's been hitting 86° day time and 50° night time. The windows are still open and I haven't dug out the flannel sheets yet.

The wood shed has been repaired so that it will actually hold some wood. A long line of pallets 4 wide has been laid with steel posts at the ends to stack against. I will slowly start stacking 50 cords of wood; a bit every day.

The electrical trench will be be finished tomorrow and conduit buried the day after.

Next, I dig a short trench to bury a propane line to hook up the stove that's been collecting dust for two years, and then it's installing four vent pipes through the walls for the range hood and three bathrooms while it's warm enough to spray foam the gaps around them.

I thought all this would be on hold again until next summer, but it looks like if we bust our chops for two weeks, we can get them done now.

It's been hitting 86° day time and 50° night time. The windows are still open and I haven't dug out the flannel sheets yet.

The wood shed has been repaired so that it will actually hold some wood. A long line of pallets 4 wide has been laid with steel posts at the ends to stack against. I will slowly start stacking 50 cords of wood; a bit every day.

The electrical trench will be be finished tomorrow and conduit buried the day after.

Next, I dig a short trench to bury a propane line to hook up the stove that's been collecting dust for two years, and then it's installing four vent pipes through the walls for the range hood and three bathrooms while it's warm enough to spray foam the gaps around them.

I thought all this would be on hold again until next summer, but it looks like if we bust our chops for two weeks, we can get them done now.
Oh my, it's colder in the mornings here!! 🙄🤔😮

ClemKadiddlehopper said:
---
I suspect Clem is a long ways down province from us... So our temps last week were a step cooler, but still quite warmer than usual.. Now this week is starting off much cooler, more normal temps for the date...
---
Up here we start prepping for winter seemingly as soon as the last winter ends.. About 3/4 of the posts in the thread don't give a general location, so it is impossible to tell what ...winter.. is for these people.. Many may be closer to the issues in the post from Hawaii than anywhere else..

Hey Tim,

I am about 2.5 + hrs from you, depending on which side of the big city you are at. We like it cold in the house, so I am abi- normal that way as well. I generally don't start the heat until the it gets to about 10C and than we get fried at 16C.

When I was a kid, there was a hole in the window plastic and I used to wake up with snow on the bed.

Finally got the winter tires on today.

ClemKadiddlehopper said:
---
I suspect Clem is a long ways down province from us... So our temps last week were a step cooler, but still quite warmer than usual.. Now this week is starting off much cooler, more normal temps for the date...
---
Up here we start prepping for winter seemingly as soon as the last winter ends.. About 3/4 of the posts in the thread don't give a general location, so it is impossible to tell what ...winter.. is for these people.. Many may be closer to the issues in the post from Hawaii than anywhere else..
Yes. If It gets down to 50° here, I'm putting on my longjohns! 🥶
Our preparing for cold weather = changing the thermostat control from 'Cool' to 'Heat'.
Since I'm in charge of the power bill, DW hears some guy say: "We ain't gonna be cold dammit!!!":mad:
The good news is, we are entering the "magic month" where neither the A/C or heat runs.😀

Last edited:
Our preparing for cold weather = changing the thermostat control from 'Cool' to 'Heat'.
Since I'm in charge of the power bill, DW hears some guy say: "We ain't gonna be cold dammit!!!":mad:
The good news is, we are entering the "magic month" where neither the A/C or heat runs.😀
I've been windows open, fans on for a couple of weeks. No heat until wood stove time! There is a cold front coming today, just a wind shift. Next week's cold front may put us in the lower 40's again for a few nights. But thankfully warming up nicely again after that! I'm dreaming of a WARM Christmas!🎵🎶

It is definitely cooling off. Temps are high 30's - low 40's at night and only low 70's during the day. Makes for some great golf weather. My wife is terrified this is going to be a frigid Winter. We are in good shape; prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws our way. I admit I hate Winter, but I don't mind as much when I don't have to drive in the really bad stuff.

If it gets down to 50 in Iowa, that's when we put on a flannel shirt. Maybe even hoodie if it's windy.

We're getting to the time of year when the cold snaps start coming. Next weekend we're supposed to see lows in the 20s and highs in the low to mid 40s. That's when we put on a thermal, a flannel shirt, and a hoodie, so we have layers to take off when it gets above 40...

I buy extra cigarettes, beer, soda, bottled water, and canned foods, top off the propane and the fuel tank and go wash my heavy bedding.

Improving the firewood processing system, relocated the wood cages,hope to clean up where the snow get plowed to, it has been a nice fall so far other than it is seriously dry. we have only had a couple of nights of frost. we have plans to build a longer season green house if time permits. I is a few degrees above freezing in the morning, peel off layers till just before noon, start putting them back on about 4 ,

Pretty much the same here.

I have been filling the smoker at night with teriyaki brined salmon. It's cold enough in the early morning hours to keep it until I can get out to the smoker.

I too, am thinking that a green house will be needed to make use of spring and fall. Too hot and dry in the summer for anything to grow.

We had a dry weekend (weather wise, anyways) so we took full advantage of it. Hubby got his equipment put away for the winter. We winterized the camper, fixed a punky spot on the soffet of the storage shed, placed some permanent property markers, stacked wood and covered it with tarps, took care of some leaves, and put the garden to bed for the winter. Phew! We are sore today, but sure do feel better about getting all those chores done.
The windows are still open and I haven't dug out the flannel sheets yet.
I did the linens yesteday before heading out to help with outdoor chores and I refused to put on the flannel sheets yet too. Although, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get away with that. Soon hubby will ask where the flannel sheets are.

my husband started back in july..august..September...hauling wood from the Amish sawmill...it's already bucked..mostly sized...he split some..hauled free mulch from there too...
in 60's this week here...warmer tomorrow..so...we slacked off

Yesterday, after a cool night of rain, I looked to the west and there was a light coating of snow on the mountains, we probably had temps around 38 in the morning. Our spring overflow has finally gotten back to normal. The rain has provided me with a chance to safely burn a pile of fir branches and will be burning a pile of branches down in our lower field.

Firewood, and this year I put the 28 inch snow blower up on the deck. and it got used this morning, 8 '' of snow and it is still coming down.

WB man! we was worried!

My prep has changed. the state of GA has given me a $350 food card. I'm about to do some serious can cramming!

Today at work. This am was like driving through a whiteout in the canyon.
Oh dang..I guess you cant see my thermometer..it was around 26. Wet sticky heavy snow n cold.
Not fun..oh..notice the lake behind my sticks..soon to be ice rink. They took out our only drainage ditch when they build up the road with gravel.
Road is nice n smooth..yea
But I soon wont be able to get sticks dumped in my hopper thanks to ice buildup under my catwalk n stick machine. Gotta have clearance..
Sigh....I will say I told you so around jan if were still running.

Attachments

• 20221102_114443.jpg
    20221102_114443.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221102_114434.jpg
    20221102_114434.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
We got 6 inches of new snow last night with temps in the low 20's. They're predicting more snow and colder temps through next week at least.
We got our firewood all split and put in the wood shed, plus another cord or two stacked outside, fire wood is stacked on the front porch of my fur shed, both propane tanks are topped off and our winter diesel was delivered last Tuesday.
Still need to work on the tractor and snow plow and get the snow blower out of the barn. I need to put the chains on the tractor and the tracks on the side by side.
Got the cows moved out a few weeks ago and got the alfalfa planted just before it started snowing.
We're pretty much ready for winter.

Latest posts

Back