Preparing for Winter and Colder Weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband drained water lines to camp house and put heat lamps in the well house. Will turn on Tuesday or Wednesday. Ran extension cords to dog pen for 2 heat lamps. Today he covered water well here. I wrapped all well pipes last year. 2 years ago I wrapped all exterior water papers that are 3 feet out of ground with insulation and pvc pipe. All I need to do is put socks over faucet. Will leave dripping outside on 5 of 6 of them. Thursday through Sunday should be interesting. Christmas here on Saturday if weather permits travel

I ordered a 100% wool blanket with plans to get two more. Using HotHands body warmers under the covers. In the mornings I use a propane heater when getting ready. Woke up this morning with most of my toes completely numb so I have a little work to do.
You do know it's supposed to get down to 12 degrees in N. Alabama this friday night? I'd recommend a good mountain sleeping bag. Rated to zero degrees at least. It's going to be bad cold, brrr.

I ordered a 100% wool blanket with plans to get two more. Using HotHands body warmers under the covers. In the mornings I use a propane heater when getting ready. Woke up this morning with most of my toes completely numb so I have a little work to do.
Get some cats, them critters are HOT!!

Husband drained water lines to camp house and put heat lamps in the well house. Will turn on Tuesday or Wednesday. Ran extension cords to dog pen for 2 heat lamps. Today he covered water well here. I wrapped all well pipes last year. 2 years ago I wrapped all exterior water papers that are 3 feet out of ground with insulation and pvc pipe. All I need to do is put socks over faucet. Will leave dripping outside on 5 of 6 of them. Thursday through Sunday should be interesting. Christmas here on Saturday if weather permits travel
Hope the precip stays away!

I have an over size mtn bag rated to -20. Great bag, used it with temps in the 20's and had to sleep with it unzipped. I've unzipped it all the way and used it as an extra blanket on my bed before. Usually end up pushing it aside during the night. It's plenty warm for any weather in Bama.

I got it from Cabela's, just checked their website. Didn't see the bag I bought but they had several cold weather bags, couple rated to -40. They are pricey though. I got mine during a spring sale of left over winter gear.

This predicted 10 degree weather is very unusual here. It doesn't even drop to 20 degrees in most winters. Maybe 2 out of 5 and then just a couple or 3 nights.

This fall we've already had 6 occasions with temps below 30 degrees, couple days each. Thats more than most winters. Typical winter day here is 35 degrees and raining.

Last edited:
You do know it's supposed to get down to 12 degrees in N. Alabama this friday night? I'd recommend a good mountain sleeping bag. Rated to zero degrees at least. It's going to be bad cold, brrr.
Gonna get down to 9 degrees Thursday where I'm at. It'll be ight. I'll defy nature once again.

Today he covered water well here. I wrapped all well pipes last year. 2 years ago I wrapped all exterior water papers that are 3 feet out of ground with insulation and pvc pipe. All I need to do is put socks over faucet. Will leave dripping outside on 5 of 6 of them. Thursday through Sunday should be interesting. Christmas here on Saturday if weather permits travel
That's a problem we have down here.
Since we rarely have a hard freeze, nobody insulates ANY pipes.
When things warm up a couple days later, the water pressure drops so low we end up under a 'boil water advisory' because water is spraying out at every house:mad: .

I have some very puffy and light bootys. Don't ;laugh, they are about the size of pack boots but just very lightweight quilted nylon and super warm just sitting or sleeping. I also use a sleeping bag over my normal bedding in the winter.
Pay attention if you regularly get numb toes or feet. Neuropathy is no joke.
It really helps to get my feet really warm before I go to bed.

A cold snap and the preps or lack of preps for it is kind of like prepping on a larger scale.
You might have lived in an area for 10 years and not had any problems... The old timers or other people keep saying beware when it really gets cold.

Bang, it gets really cold and freezes your water pipes in the house and in the ground as well. The power goes off as well like in Texas a couple of years ago.

Now you have a problem... Advance preparation makes things so much more endurable and manageable. Digging up frozen ground is a pain as well as trying to live in a unheated house with no way to cook warm food.

FEMA is not your friend.

Attachments

• DSC04052.JPG
    DSC04052.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Tomorrow is a high of 5 degrees and low of - 8.
We have lots of portable heaters, stocked up on propane. Blankets, hats, etc.
Cars are ready to go. I just don't have a lot of food, as no where to put it in this dang RV. We totally ran out of time before the snow hit to get the root cellar dug out.

Tomorrow is a high of 5 degrees and low of - 8.
We have lots of portable heaters, stocked up on propane. Blankets, hats, etc.
Cars are ready to go. I just don't have a lot of food, as no where to put it in this dang RV. We totally ran out of time before the snow hit to get the root cellar dug out.
We spent a montana winter in our 23 ft bumper pull. Jars of canned fruit stuck everywhere. Right now at our house I have an array of plastic garbage cans outside since some of it won't fit inside right now and still waiting on that mythical root cellar. Things like pasta, rice, sugar and grains do well all winter outside in our cold dry climate. Plus I have been converting meat stews and canned soups to freeze dried and it stores well in the cold. The time in a RV and wood heated cabin influenced me to get our freeze drier.
Our high temp tomorrow is supposed to be -17F. And we have a winter storm warning till tomorrow at 11.

It looks like a major winter storm is heading through pretty much the whole mid to eastern nation over Christmas weekend. Here, they are predicting up to a couple feet of snow, cold temps, and heavy winds. I'm finishing up household chores today like finishing all the laundry, vacuuming, dusting, dishes, etc. I will go into the office tomorrow and shore everything up (including unplugging electronics) before heading to the grocery store to top off fresh veges. Other than putting the plow back on the truck and filling it with fuel, I think we're set to go. After tomorrow, I won't be leaving the house until next week and am ready to hunker down. The menu is planned, drinks are chillin', and emergency genies are ready to go with lots of fuel. Heck, we might have to invite the neighbors over for cards, snacks, and cocktails.:drink buddy:

It'll be sad if the kids can't make it for Christmas, but I don't want them to risk a car crash just to get here. They live fairly close, so it's not a huge deal if they can't make it on THE day. We'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. We've already been calling family members with gentle reminders to start those genies and make sure to have backup fuel. It's sad that we feel the need to do that, but the last time something like this happened, one of them had the genie but no spare fuel. :rolleyes:

The threat of major storms do not scare me in the least. I love a good storm! I plan to sit in my comfy home with the pups and hubby (if he's not out plowing) and watch the pretty snow fall. I hope I don't lose the internet, but no big deal if I do. I've got lots of books to read and should probably even get my paperwork ready for tax season, since it's just around the corner.:(

0.3º
Had to tow the UPS guy out last night, he got stuck down at the bottom of the hill, on flat ground, just trying to get to the drop box. Broke my 30,000 tow strap three times....guess I have to....order....another one.

It got warmer today than forecast. All the way up to -15F. Gonna be chilly tonight.....warnings about a wind chill factor of -50 or lower. My morning hot tub soak this morning I had to wear a stocking cap to prevent my head from freezing.

A group of us old farts have breakfast on thursday mornings so I have the old CRV honda with the pan heater and battery charger plugged in.

That's a problem we have down here.
Since we rarely have a hard freeze, nobody insulates ANY pipes.
When things warm up a couple days later, the water pressure drops so low we end up under a 'boil water advisory' because water is spraying out at every house:mad: .
We did ok down here, but....
We went up (north) to Natchitoches LA to watch the fireworks on the river on Christmas eve. They were fantastic! :D
More than half of the restaurants were closed with no water.
As you walked down the sidewalk, water could be seen running across it to the street from many places.:(

This Yankee (who works with water supplies) finds the whole idea of unprotected water lines just....inconceivable. I simply can't wrap my brain around it. I mean, without water life is miserable and can even be threatened. Even if it only freezes once in a decade, hardening the infrastructure against that should save costs in the long run. Ah well, maybe if I lived down south I could understand.
Did a lot to make sure the homestead was prepped, plenty of fuel, firewood stacked, hatches battened down - with the exception of getting the snowblower to start. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. Seemed to die whenever it ran out of the gas from the prime. No worries, though, the wind was so fierce that we have drifts and bare ground. None of the drifts block any important doors, so I'll just wait for it to melt with the warm up we're supposed to get next weekend. Hopefully my brother can come help me get the thing running before the next round of snow.
The only casualty of the storm I had was my mailbox got packed full of wind-driven snow and the carrier stuffed three seed catalogs into it anyways. Now they're all wrinkly and hard to read.

"Say hello to my little friend!"
DW runs hot year-round, and I hate cold because it causes me pain. :mad:
She loves this time of year, because hey, free air-conditioning!:dancing:
Yes, we can both have it our way.:thumbs:
In the foreground you can see my 'perch' that I spend hours in everyday:
View attachment 98152
Comfy 72° in the house for her.... my cell, a constant, toasty 77°😁:Dancing Chicken:.
Well, I have been waiting to see how much pain it would add to the power bill since it burns kilowatts. :oops:
It has been on duty 24/7 most days, set at "75"; it runs for about a minute and then off for 10, keeping my cell 77-79°😀.
I was gonna grind the math numbers, but kept thinking it was doing the same thing as the central unit, just more focused.
We had temps below freezing from Nov-Dec and the bill was $190.
I was ready to grab my ankles (~$250) and just kept repeating "I'm worth it, dammit!".
The power bill comes in.....
$130.:woo hoo:
Since I am a former researcher, I figured out why. (long boring explanation available upon request:rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Well, I have been waiting to see how much pain it would add to the power bill since it burns kilowatts. :oops:
It has been on duty 24/7 most days, set at "75"; it runs for about a minute and then off for 10, keeping my cell 77-79°😀.
I was gonna grind the math numbers, but kept thinking it was doing the same thing as the central unit, just more focused.
We had temps below freezing from Nov-Dec and the bill was $190.
I was ready to grab my ankles and just kept repeating "I'm worth it, dammit!".
The power bill comes in.....
$130.:woo hoo:
Since I am a former researcher, I figured out why. (long boring explanation available upon request:rolleyes:).
I really NEED a long boring explanation!!🙄🙃🦙 Llama emoji for "llama drama!!🤔😉

I really NEED a long boring explanation!!🙄🙃🦙 Llama emoji for "llama drama!!🤔😉
Well, you asked for it 🤨...
Here's why: The central unit is at the end of the hallway (with that filter that @Pearl reminded me to clean:)).
It pulls a ton of air when it runs (I upgraded it to 3.5T in 2019😀).
Just up the hallway is the thermostat on the wall (where it should be).
Up the hallway from it, is the open door to my 'Super-heated' cell (pun).
When the central kicks on, it pulls air down the hallway.
Shortly afterwards, the evil preheated air from my cell makes it up to the thermostat, and the unit cycles off.😀
Doesn't that make the rest of the house colder?
Yes, a little. But mostly it is the utility room that nobody spends much time in.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you for changing your filter!! Do you live in the utility room???
Not yet. :rolleyes:
My cell is 15 feet from the 'clean filter'.
(It's ok, I am not alone, I have my "little buddy" 😀).

So happy we got the two wood inserts for the fireplaces (both upstairs and downstairs). We run the upstairs pretty much non-stop and the basement one on a few evenings when it gets cold enough. Our furnace died in October, but the house hasn't gotten lower than 65. Even during the -20+, we were able to keep the house in the mid to upper 60s. Bonus, the wife wanted (and received) a battery powered chainsaw. We can get about twice the wood in the same amount of time and have a weekend chore we do together.

So happy we got the two wood inserts for the fireplaces (both upstairs and downstairs). We run the upstairs pretty much non-stop and the basement one on a few evenings when it gets cold enough. Our furnace died in October, but the house hasn't gotten lower than 65. Even during the -20+, we were able to keep the house in the mid to upper 60s. Bonus, the wife wanted (and received) a battery powered chainsaw. We can get about twice the wood in the same amount of time and have a weekend chore we do together.
Your post immediately brought this song to mind.

I find that just adding more layers of blankets on the bed helps me to be warmer. I currently have some really good flannel sheets, a blanket and two quilts on my bed. I have more covers that I could put on if I had no heat and needed the warmth. I also have an electric blanket I could use that I recently found the cords to after they had been missing for a few years. I have a heated lap throw that one of my clients gave me for Christmas. I could use that as well if I needed to.

Latest posts

Back