Prepper or survivalist? That is the question.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Are you a prepper or a survivalist? Is there a difference in your mind? Is that difference significant?

For me there is a difference, both as a mindset and as an approach.

I am a survivalist with the mindset to do what it takes to survive. As a survivalist, I take advantage of various disciplines to give me an edge, or to make options available for my disposal, but survival is the goal.

I see prepping as an activity. Bushcraft is an activity. Outdoorsmanship (hunting, fishing, orienteering, etc) are activities. As a survivalist, I can take advantage of the strategies and strengths of these various disciplines to achieve my ends: Survival. And survival requires a mindset. And that mindset is whatever it takes to overcome the overwhelming suck. And the suck can be overwhelming.

I base this on my readings from history of how humans have overcome exceptional odds, be they POWs, Jews surviving the horrors of concentration camps, people fleeing pursuing forces, or simply overcoming tyranny. Survival came down to mindset.

Survivalism is about mindset. Prepping is an activity.

Simply my very humble opinion.

What say you?

Where I see the difference in other people.....is "regardless" of what they choose to call themselves in public. The distinction is a "prepper" in their mind expects there will be some relief (other then "death"). Someone will help solve their situation, and it will end in their life returning to "Pretty much as it was".

The "survivalist" constantly blocks any true expectation of help or being save by others. They come from, "NO is COMING to SAVE ME". and that is the foundation everything is built on. To the survivalist the Hell they are in could last forever and ever. To the "prepper" the Hell they are in is very temporary, and will be over fairly soon.

It has been my observation that people who think of themselves as "preppers", they truly do NOT want to be even remotely be considered "Survivalist", because to them "survivalists" are sick and dangerous, and mentally ill.

Survivalist AND Stalker {European Meaning, see the video game series.) here. I prep, but I keep the survivalist mindset and hone said skills. people like me will end up defending preppers for our bread and butter as opposed to raiding them like the snowflakes and scum will.

It has been my observation that people who think of themselves as "preppers", they truly do NOT want to be even remotely be considered "Survivalist", because to them "survivalists" are sick and dangerous, and mentally ill.
But I AM sick, dangerous and mentally ill.

PISSFACE.png

I think I am a Prepper because I try to prepare for any event or threat I perceive on the horizon....

I think the survivalist is more along the mindset of doing what ever it takes to survive in a SHTF event, not necessarily preparing for the short term events, but looking towards the full blown SHTF situation.....

If things are bad enough long enough many preppers may become survivalists, but survivalists won't have the luxury of time and resource investments necessary to become preppers...

It's healthy to be both. Foragers don't find many calories out there, that's for sure. I consider survivalists as foragers. I'm a prepper/homesteader first, but I don't have a problem with defending myself or an innocent I care about. I am also someone who doesn't give it, I always keep on trying. I could be half dead and keep on trying.

I think I am a Prepper because I try to prepare for any event or threat I perceive on the horizon....

I think the survivalist is more along the mindset of doing what ever it takes to survive in a SHTF event, not necessarily preparing for the short term events, but looking towards the full blown SHTF situation.....

If things are bad enough long enough many preppers may become survivalists, but survivalists won't have the luxury of time and resource investments necessary to become preppers...

Why would you have the perception that survivalist don’t prep? Its a foundational activity, among other activities, that survivalist do. But survivalist don’t limit there preparedness to prepping.

Some are mistaking my OP. I clearly said that I prep. But prepping is a means to the end, and prepping will only take you so far if you don’t have the right mindset. Prepping is an activity, survivalism is a mindset. A survivalist who doesn’t prep won’t survive long. Neither will a prepper without the right mindset.

And prepping is only one of many disciplines you need to master.

I perceive survivalist as an older term which the press has given a negative connotation to. I believe the term prepper was coined to separate from that negativity. I think that if there are differences in those two words, they are minimal. A survivalist has preps and a prepper collects survivalist skills.

Maybe it is only a insignificant semantical difference to most. I am seeing flaws in the prepping movement of today, and I am trying to nudge the mindset aspect that is often missing from discussions.

Maybe it is only a insignificant semantical difference to most. I am seeing flaws in the prepping movement of today, and I am trying to nudge the mindset aspect that is often missing from discussions.

Long ago on many-many forums, I fought to get people to grasp that "prepping had gone in a deeply "FLAWED" direction starting several decades ago..........I was stoned and burned at the stake till crispy. (This forum is one of "those" where that conversation (if it could be called that) took place.

I see the main distinction being one of commitment. A person can prepare for an event and be called a prepper. But in my experience the two are interchangeable meaning in practical preparedness I've never seen a prepper who was content to limit themselves to such a singular extent.

Few are willing to call themselves survivalist even though they are in practical terms due to the negative connotations survivalism brings.

Long ago on many-many forums, I fought to get people to grasp that "prepping had gone in a deeply "FLAWED" direction starting several decades ago..........I was stoned and burned at the stake till crispy. (This forum is one of "those" where that conversation (if it could be called that) took place.

I‘ve been involved in the movement since back in the 1980s when I got my hands on the entire volume of Mel’s PSL. The movement has certainly evolved over time. Much of the previous decade I’ve leaned a bit more towards how Remus thought. While contemplating all of this, I have been studying a lot of history about oppressed populations and individuals who have overcome great odds.

Resiliency and critical thinking skills are paramount. Shock and awe are real things that will be very difficult to overcome without the right mindset.

Few are willing to call themselves survivalist even though they are in practical terms due to the negative connotations survivalism brings.

True there is clearly a accepted "negative" connotation. What I find interesting is the bases of that is actually "True". It is the social aggregate preference to oppose that truth, much preferring their story.

Alaskajohn, you're describing building a talent stack in the context of self reliance and self sufficiency. I always thought that's what prepping was: building your knowledge and skills so you can do things to help you live better in good and bad times.

I've met people who call themselves survivalists and their only plan is to shoot other people and take their stuff. That's not a particularly solid plan, IMO.

Perhaps the difference, if any is seen, is down to how each individual perceives the meaning of the words.
I tend to use the word "prepper" on forums because people sometimes don't like being called a survivalist. Thanks media.
In my own personal opinion there is a difference.

To me, preppers are people who store items for a disaster. Be that one week or a year in length. But with a return to semi normalcy within a given time period.

Survivalists on the other hand "do the things" All things. They store food, tools, energy, knowledge. They practice, be that gardening, water purification, or target practice. They try to think up all manner of variables and cover each one. They plan as if the disaster is for ever, and they plan to survive it. It is a mindset of no matter how much it sucks you are going to keep pushing. To borrow a famous saying: "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome "

Good thread.. :cool:

One aspect that seems to 'separate' is the willingness (and 'stones' to Follow-thru) to take Life, if/when needed -(..towards the aim of Survival, of course, not talking someone with 'Jeffrey Dahmer-syndrome', here..) That's, to me, where that 'plateau' seems to exist for some "preppers".

Have had, in past, invitations to join some 'MAG' / community - where it seemed like all other aspects were pretty solid, but.. When I asked the 'leader', straight up: "Would You, personally, 'pull the trigger' against someone who is threatening My life, or the life of one of my Family members, If we join-in?" ..and the answer was (more or less..) 'Wellll... I would do everything possible to find some Other way to deal with it, but yes, I would.. yeah... ' :rolleyes: I took that as a 'Nope, does Not have what it takes', and passed.

Granted, I have Not ever 'had to' - and I sincerely hope / pray I never Do - but.. I Do Know, based on a) Other experiences / decisions / actions I have taken in life, that I Will, if truly Need be, and b) based on one of the things I 'took away' from reading the Bible (My personal 'moral compass foundation') 3x in my life (cover to cover) which is that a Clear picture of a distinction between "killing" - and "murder" - does, indeed, exist.

..To me, that Record of History was very revealing about Our Creator's feelings on that subject, and while it also must be 'balanced' by Romans 12:19 (..which, in essence, is more about 'seeking out' vengeance for some wrong done against you - NOT about Not stopping / preventing an Attack) it seems Clear that 'turn the other cheek' Isn't about, ie: letting your Wife (or self) get raped, etc, "because, 10 commandments", nope.

Thus, a "Survivalist" will Do what is Necessary - including crossing that admittedly Incredibly Difficult 'line' - whereas (in general) "Preppers" may not be 'willing to go that far' - and suffer, thusly..

To me, the distinction is also about Experience - there are Many "Preppers" - without much actual 'Real World Experience' in actually passing thru some crisis - especially an Extended-one - and Learning from what 'worked vs Not', from their "preps".

I guess would sum it up with 'The Future belongs to the Adaptable - and Adaptation belongs to the Prepared'. :cool:

jd

I talked with the wife about this and her perception about this was totally different that mine. She associated a survivalist as someone who try's to survive in while under serious threat to life and limb (like mountain climbers) and preppers as just people who try to be prepared under normal conditions.

I had the perception that survivalists were more militant extremists, but when I looked it up the definitions of a survivalist and a prepper were almost identical.
So I guess it doesn't matter what you call it, I just don't want to be taken by surprise.

And I love what @SoJer said about being willing....

Good thread.. :cool:

One aspect that seems to 'separate' is the willingness (and 'stones' to Follow-thru) to take Life, if/when needed -(..towards the aim of Survival, of course, not talking someone with 'Jeffrey Dahmer-syndrome', here..) That's, to me, where that 'plateau' seems to exist for some "preppers".

Have had, in past, invitations to join some 'MAG' / community - where it seemed like all other aspects were pretty solid, but.. When I asked the 'leader', straight up: "Would You, personally, 'pull the trigger' against someone who is threatening My life, or the life of one of my Family members, If we join-in?" ..and the answer was (more or less..) 'Wellll... I would do everything possible to find some Other way to deal with it, but yes, I would.. yeah... ' :rolleyes: I took that as a 'Nope, does Not have what it takes', and passed.

Granted, I have Not ever 'had to' - and I sincerely hope / pray I never Do - but.. I Do Know, based on a) Other experiences / decisions / actions I have taken in life, that I Will, if truly Need be, and b) based on one of the things I 'took away' from reading the Bible (My personal 'moral compass foundation') 3x in my life (cover to cover) which is that a Clear picture of a distinction between "killing" - and "murder" - does, indeed, exist.

..To me, that Record of History was very revealing about Our Creator's feelings on that subject, and while it also must be 'balanced' by Romans 12:19 (..which, in essence, is more about 'seeking out' vengeance for some wrong done against you - NOT about Not stopping / preventing an Attack) it seems Clear that 'turn the other cheek' Isn't about, ie: letting your Wife (or self) get raped, etc, "because, 10 commandments", nope.

Thus, a "Survivalist" will Do what is Necessary - including crossing that admittedly Incredibly Difficult 'line' - whereas (in general) "Preppers" may not be 'willing to go that far' - and suffer, thusly..

To me, the distinction is also about Experience - there are Many "Preppers" - without much actual 'Real World Experience' in actually passing thru some crisis - especially an Extended-one - and Learning from what 'worked vs Not', from their "preps".

I guess would sum it up with 'The Future belongs to the Adaptable - and Adaptation belongs to the Prepared'. :cool:

jd

I love your post.

While I will do what it takes to survive, I will answer for my actions directly with my creator. I have this in mind with all my actions, knowing that I often fail his standards. In fact, perhaps my biggest prepping/survival philosophy comes from scripture.

“Doing what it takes” doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with violence. Actually, far from it. Look at the examples of mindset that I quoted above. POWs, those in concentration camps, those living under tyrannical governments survived not by violence, but by preserving through faith and a healthy dose of realism and mental toughness. This is what I am talking about. Not violence. I am not sure why people associate a survivalist mindset as someone prone to violence. I guess it’s a semantic and definition thing.

Great post!

Thanks, and, to echo / bolster Yours, and also clarify My points..
..“Doing what it takes” doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with violence. Actually, far from it...

Indeed, in fact, even a "Survivalist" - who is prone to Quickly turn to violence - may undo himself, by the Very 'tool he thought to Use', ie: Quoting one of Aerindel's recent posts, here (though it was posted in a 'different context', it seems to fit Perfectly, here..)

"I remember a part from a book I read once.

The main character is in prison. At some point he leaves his cell and when he returns, he finds a loaded gun under his pillow. His cell mate says something like "Looks like you have friends on the outside, lets get out of here"

The character looks at the gun and is like "No, if someone wanted me to escape, they would have given me a KEY. A gun won't get me out of this, it will just me killed, someone on the outside wants me dead.." :cool:

Ergo: the 'Wiser Character' / protagonist made the 'right decision' - likely due to past Experience, and/or just really being good at 'math'.. ;) Perhaps, later in the story, he Did, indeed, utilize the pistol, but.. For the time being, he 'chose wisely', in Not allowing an emotionally-based decision to cloud better judgement - and Survived. :cool: (I guess.. I mean I don't know the Book to-which he's referring, so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jd

What astounds me people who refuse to even consider being "aware" of some aspects of prepping.

It is one thing to have looked and considered the possible value of something. It is another to refuse to even consider it. Or refuse to even be aware of it existence.

A hard core survivalist will kill anything or anyone to stay alive. A hard core prepper will remain a person even if they have to kill to protect themselves. They won't kill a person for food. If a person dies they may or may not use that body for food but they won't kill it like an animal.

My initial response was: I am neither or maybe both. I typically say we live traditionally, meaning prior to fast food and mass dependency. We do this because it helps us to be prepared if there are disruptions (ie. TP run) but also enables us a better chance at surviving should SHTF. We also think it's a far healthier way to live regardless if the world comes to an end or not.
I've been referred to as both prepper, survivalist, hippy, crunchy (really?) and who knows what else. I like what others are saying. Kinda shows we are all in this doing what we can but doing so with our own definitions.

PS @Sourdough I was glad to see you chimed in here. I think trying to make things black and white is tough. Don't want anyone eflogged for having different definitions. Your first post states a lot about where you are coming from.

I prep and farm to survive to help rebuild a better America from the ashes of what's left! The America our forefathers intended!
I like that.

Back in the late 80's the magazine Soldier of Fortune spun off a sister magazine called "Survive" that included articles on surviving a nuke attack and fighting the Russians. I recall an article explaining how to build a radiation detector from a styrofoam cup and aluminum foil. Readers called themselves survivalists.

The term prepper is relatively new and spell checkers still don't know the word. I learned about the term maybe from Rawles book or the TV show "Doomsday Preppers". Most of those featured on that show focused on preparing themselves for a time when society was no longer able to provide for their needs. There was one woman that refused to own guns but had everything else covered. There were also a couple of idiots that only stockpiled guns and body armour with plans to steal what they needed. I thought those two as idiots and not preppers.

I prefer a term I made up.

Thrivalist

As such I PREPARE to SURVIVE the marauders and provide for my tribes needs until law and commerce is restored so that we once again THRIVE.

I dont plan on settling for a stone age existence but plan on a Steam Age existence at the very least.

With God's help, I am determined to make happen or die trying.

Ben

Latest posts

Back