Prepper or survivalist? That is the question.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hollywood has destroyed the term survivalist. They have portrayed such people as nut jobs with underground bunkers, gun towers, man snares, with the mentality of killing off anyone that gets near them. As far as products that are called survival knives, for example, the word survival is usually nothing more then a marketing tool.

They are doing the same thing to preppers as well. Also on how they portray those who attempt to remain faithful. But none of this is a surprise. Just the way it will be as they serve a different master.

I don't think anybody even knew who we were until the Mayan Apocalypse started to get close. Since then we have evolved from Tin Foil Hat wearing Nut Jobs to Selfish Hoarders. For all I care "they" can all take a long walk off a short pier. I don't care what you call me; just don't call me late for supper.

I will take care of me and mine as I see fit. I will gladly be the ant among all the grasshoppers.

Last edited:
Hollywood has destroyed the term survivalist. They have portrayed such people as nut jobs with underground bunkers, gun towers, man snares, with the mentality of killing off anyone that gets near them. As far as products that are called survival knives, for example, the word survival is usually nothing more then a marketing tool.

Pretty accurate description of my place actually.

I guess I'm a survivalist who is prepared if stuff happens. But mostly it's just what I do. As an avid outdoorsman I enjoy being out hunting fishing trapping. And enjoy the world around me. When sitting for moose I have a plant book. I challenge myself to identify every plant that is around me n how to use it.
So having to survive on what's around me by being an outdoors person.
Prepping comes with the terf. I like to be comfortable as I can. And I like being out in the middle of nowhere Alaska.
Got it covered I think

I don't much care for labels or titles, I do prefer to be self reliant, and while stuff is handy, skills are always with you, unless remembering where I left my gloves counts, that I have yet to master.

I don't much care for labels or titles, I do prefer to be self reliant, and while stuff is handy, skills are always with you, unless remembering where I left my gloves counts, that I have yet to master.

Yeah....thats why I don't trust skills.

But I do have like 10 pairs of gloves so I can always at least find one left and one right :)

Are you a prepper or a survivalist? Is there a difference in your mind? Is that difference significant?

For me there is a difference, both as a mindset and as an approach.

I am a survivalist with the mindset to do what it takes to survive. As a survivalist, I take advantage of various disciplines to give me an edge, or to make options available for my disposal, but survival is the goal.

I see prepping as an activity. Bushcraft is an activity. Outdoorsmanship (hunting, fishing, orienteering, etc) are activities. As a survivalist, I can take advantage of the strategies and strengths of these various disciplines to achieve my ends: Survival. And survival requires a mindset. And that mindset is whatever it takes to overcome the overwhelming suck. And the suck can be overwhelming.

I base this on my readings from history of how humans have overcome exceptional odds, be they POWs, Jews surviving the horrors of concentration camps, people fleeing pursuing forces, or simply overcoming tyranny. Survival came down to mindset.

Survivalism is about mindset. Prepping is an activity.

Simply my very humble opinion.

What say you?
Based on what I’ve seen and read a high percentage of preppers appear to be people who live the suburban life and stock up supplies in their homes. They’ll make caches and maybe plant a garden to get some experience. They don’t typically seem to have very many outdoors skills or much knowledge in that department in general. It seems to me that a lot of preppers base their survival on their preps. After their preps run out they are going to have a rude awakening. A lot of these preppers seem more concerned with making YouTube videos about gear and other useless gadgets than actually gaining knowledge of survival skills. Like I said, based on what I’ve watched and read this is my speculation.

I feel like preppers can also be survivalists in the sense of them stocking up supplies but they also take the time to learn how to survive in the woods. I feel that this category of individuals is very small in the prepper community.

If the grid goes down the woods are going to be my home.

The preppers I know are mostly trying to be self sufficient. Their stock is what they raise and grow.

A lot of these preppers seem more concerned with making YouTube videos about gear and other useless gadgets than actually gaining knowledge of survival skills.

To be fair, there is a lot of confirmation bias here. 100% of the preppers you see on youtube....are preppers who are concerned with making vidoe's for youtube. The one's who aren't....are no the ones you ever see.

To be fair, there is a lot of confirmation bias here. 100% of the preppers you see on youtube....are preppers who are concerned with making vidoe's for youtube. The one's who aren't....are no the ones you ever see.
That is one thing I thought while writing that. Just didn’t put it on there.

Self-described
I can say I am Jesus or a Vampire, it does not make it so!
Most people do not take meth heads serious.

Latest posts

Back