Prepper or survivalist? That is the question.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we came to S.W. Oregon in the early 80's survivalists was a very big deal in this area, many of those survivalists had very large stashes of food, water, arms and ammo, some of which were stored in caves, old mines and probably buried, anyway I would have to consider them survival/preppers. The truth is that after the SHTF has happened, thing may never return to normal, think that the only way anyone is coming to your rescue will be by God and Jesus Christ, prepping and survival are just a fill in between now and the end of this age

I like that.

Back in the late 80's the magazine Soldier of Fortune spun off a sister magazine called "Survive" that included articles on surviving a nuke attack and fighting the Russians. I recall an article explaining how to build a radiation detector from a styrofoam cup and aluminum foil. Readers called themselves survivalists.

The term prepper is relatively new and spell checkers still don't know the word. I learned about the term maybe from Rawles book or the TV show "Doomsday Preppers". Most of those featured on that show focused on preparing themselves for a time when society was no longer able to provide for their needs. There was one woman that refused to own guns but had everything else covered. There were also a couple of idiots that only stockpiled guns and body armour with plans to steal what they needed. I thought those two as idiots and not preppers.

I prefer a term I made up.

Thrivalist

As such I PREPARE to SURVIVE the marauders and provide for my tribes needs until law and commerce is restored so that we once again THRIVE.

I dont plan on settling for a stone age existence but plan on a Steam Age existence at the very least.

With God's help, I am determined to make happen or die trying.

Ben
I like your term! I plan to do much the same as I expect you have figured out considering a few topics we have brushed across.

I have learned a great deal from this thread. It is obvious the words we choose are important, as we each have slightly or significantly different interpretations of those words. Nonetheless, the discussion has been very enlightening and I am learning a bit about each of you as we discuss the concepts. Many thanks for such great forum members. It’s no wonder this forum is growing nicely!

Great Thread! Many fantastic post and discussion. Too many to reply to that I'd like to.

Neb I subscribed to Survive magazine for years. Probably still have some copies boxed up somewhere.

I don't really care about the names, since they often get hijacked and given a negative conotation by the left more often than not.

For my part I try to live my life mimiced after my grandparents. It's just a life style. Yes things are different than they were for folks who was on the farm and never held a public job until they were in their late 20's. Lived thru the great depression and came thru about the same as they went in. I consider myself blessed to have been raised as a farmer and taught how to do many things that continue to serve me well.

I'll do all I have to to survive whats coming, right up till the good Lord says my time is up. Yeah it'll be hard, but I've dealt with hard things at various times in my life. It'll just be more added on. I'm just one to give in.

Carry on folks keep it coming.

Raiders and Survivalists are two different critters. Raiders are thugs, they are thugs now,
they most certainly will be after SHTF. stop calling them "Survivalists" please.

The term prepper is relatively new and spell checkers still don't know the word. I learned about the term maybe from Rawles book or the TV show "Doomsday Preppers". Most of those featured on that show focused on preparing themselves for a time when society was no longer able to provide for their needs. There was one woman that refused to own guns but had everything else covered. There were also a couple of idiots that only stockpiled guns and body armour with plans to steal what they needed. I thought those two as idiots and not preppers.

I know some of the people who were on Doomsday Preppers. It was very heavily edited to give the greatest amount of shock value. Some of the editing included using parts of a sentence strung together to become something the person speaking did not say.

My wife and I were asked to take part in a pilot of a prepping show that the producers were hoping to sell to the networks. The very first thing that they do is fit you with microphones and inform you that they are going to record everything you say and can legally use any or all of it at their discretion. This was 15 minutes before we were to go "on" and included time after we were finished with our parts. We had already heard the horror stories of others so we were very careful of anything that we said to each other. Our caution was prudent because what they told us they were going to do bore little resemblance to what they actually did. They screwed up though. We signed the forms (non-disclosure) saying that we couldn't divulge anything about the proposed show. But they forgot to get the model releases signed. When they asked us to sign them later we refused and clearly explained why. They weren't nearly as friendly after that!

All of these shows that I know of are dog and pony shows and most are scripted.

A prepper gathers thing to make live easier after the Fall.
A survivalist gather information to use after the Fall.
You should be both.
A prepper stores rice & dry beans for food, a survivalist grows a garden now to learn how & what will grow in their zone/climate.
Gardening/orchard is training, just like firing a weapon or martial arts, cooking over a open fire.
A trigger becomes a behavior becomes a routine becomes a habit becomes a way of life.

I used to be a survivalist But after actually living that lifestyle ( having a farm, middle of nowhere, trying to be as self sufficient as possible etc.) I realized that it would take a small army to protect what we have if society completely crashed and hordes of raiders would come here ( eventually, maybe) and attacked us. We do not have a small army. I also realized one accident and its all over. So now I just stopped worrying about it, and live my life. I am at the point I think I might no longer want to survive if society crashes completely and there is nothing left.

I would stop short of calling myself a survivalist if "doing whatever it takes" is part of that definition. It's looking like in the near future, our dear government might succeed in taking away most if not all of our basic freedoms. I would not participate in such a society, when doing so may appear to be the easiest and indeed only path to survival. Like the New Hampshire state motto, "Live Free Or Die". Prepping for me includes putting energy into preventing the above from succeeding. At certain lines in the sand hopefully I won't hesitate too long to do the right thing.

I would stop short of calling myself a survivalist if "doing whatever it takes" is part of that definition. It's looking like in the near future, our dear government might succeed in taking away most if not all of our basic freedoms. I would not participate in such a society, when doing so may appear to be the easiest and indeed only path to survival. Like the New Hampshire state motto, "Live Free Or Die". Prepping for me includes putting energy into preventing the above from succeeding. At certain lines in the sand hopefully I won't hesitate too long to do the right thing.

To me “doing what it takes“ is a mindset or resilience, determination and faith, such as what is spoken about in the Stockdale Paradox, or the Cambodians who suffered but survived through the brutal Pol Pot regime, or Jan Baalsrud incredible ability to survive the brutality of winter and his Nazi tormentors.

I don’t get the fixation on violence and killing when discussing survival. That may need to happen as a defensive measure when justified, but that is not the essence of survival. Survivalist would avoid that sort of human interaction to the maximum extent. When Jan skied through the Nazi check point, killing someone was that last thing he would want to do and with his boldness and determination, he didn’t have to.

Last edited:
Why does this matter all of a sudden?
somebody making a list?

Just a discussion on the importance of being prepared mentally about the challenges ahead. Mental health will be vital to survival.

I think of the "doing what it takes" as applying primarily to a defensive situation. Reference the coiled rattlesnake on the State of Jefferson flag. My instincts are to retreat to the wild, until cornered, not submitting. The long-time creep of tyranny has already found me in this sheltered corner of the planet, so that tempers the need-to-flee reflex. This my line in the sand.

Read about what Corrie Ten Boom did what it took to survive the horrors of the infamous Nazi death camps. Out of her entire family, she was the only one to survive. It is a story of faith and perseverance that ultimately triumphs over evil.

Survival is a mindset. Doing what it takes is mental.

To me “doing what it takes“ is a mindset or resilience, determination and faith, such as what is spoken about in the Stockdale Paradox, or the Cambodians who suffered but survived through the brutal Pol Pot regime, or Jan Baalsrud incredible ability to survive the brutality of winter and his Nazi tormentors.

I don’t get the fixation on violence and killing when discussing survival. That may need to happen as a defensive measure when justified, but that is not the essence of survival. Survivalist would avoid that sort of human interaction to the maximum extent. When Jan skied through the Nazi check point, killing someone was that last thing he would want to do and with his boldness and determination, he didn’t have to.
Ditto the violence thing.
Shooting from the hip...

Shooting people would be ma 5-10% of the time at worst.

The rest of the time effort would be doing what it takes to provide for our needs.

Ben

Even though I mentioned this being my line in the sand, prepping here at the homestead includes provision for escape if needed. Just no illusions about being able to start anew ih another place, unless close by here. Our neighborhood has discussed drawing together for resource issues, which include food and defensibility if needed. As a practical matter, fire is the most obvious near-time threat and could change things in an hour or less, ala Greenville, CA

Last edited:
I steer clear of anyone who claims to be a survivalist! Most real survivalist don't claim to be anything.

Interesting theory. What do you think contributed to how the Kulaks survived Stalin's attempted genocide of this religious sect during the purge and forced famine on them. You know, the same purge that killed 7 million? I think they had more than just a well packed bug out bag. I think it had to do more with their mindset and their will to overcome horrific odds.

I steer clear of anyone who claims to be a survivalist! Most real survivalist don't claim to be anything.
As a matter of interest to me, could you kindly explain what you see as the fundamental difference between people like myself (I see myself as a survivalist) and a "real" survivalist? Other than what we may call ourselves of course.

As a matter of interest to me, could you kindly explain what you see as the fundamental difference between people like myself (I see myself as a survivalist) and a "real" survivalist? Other than what we may call ourselves of course.

I was a bit perplexed at the negative connotation of how some define "survivalist." I will just be careful now how I use the term to describe myself as people have widely varying interpretation of the word. I am perfectly comfortable with with how I describe it on this tread. I am glad I started this thread as it has been very enlightening and informative on this variation. There is not necessarily anything inherently wrong with people assigning different definitions, but it is useful to know.

Me? Hell if I know. Maybe an old time boy Scout, be prepared. I have preps, not many years worth, but shorter term. I know survival skills, not enough to live in the wilds of Alaska, but plenty for around here. Somebody from the way out in the woods wouldn't be caught dead here, likewise the far reaches of beyond civilization is not for me.

I don't have to deal with bears, cougars, or other predators, the ones around have are the most vicious, unpredictable predators that have evolved, humans.

Last edited:
Me? Hell if I know. Maybe an old time boy Scout, be prepared. I have preps, not many years worth, but shorter term. I know survival skills, not enough to live in the wilds of Alaska, but plenty for around here. Somebody from the way out in the woods wouldn't be caught dead here, likewise the far reaches of beyond civilization is not for me.

I don't have to deal with bears, cougars, or other predators, the ones around have are the most vicious, unpredictable predators that have evolved, humans.
When I first went to college (you know day before yesterday ;) ) People would ask me if I was afraid of bears or cougars etc. when I said where I was from. I told them I was more afraid of people walking down the street than I was of any critter and that wild animals were far more predictable than humans. They usually looked at me like I had a 3rd. eye.

You got to be something. :)

Bushcraft get throw around a lot too, you see people at the range or camping with all new equipment, just one weekend & they are a pro. The word survivalist implies one HAS survived something, thank God most of us have not had to as of yet.
Combat & natural disasters is the closest most people will come to in this age.

Maybe it is just my perception. Maybe my perception came from the fact the fact that 50 years ago a survivalist went into the wilderness with very little and proved that they could survive. For these reasons I look at survivalism in a little different light. If I have to choose I guess I would say I am a prepper. Again, splitting hairs over words, but I prep to survive whatever life throws at me.

It would be highly unlikely I would ever head off into the woods, and try to survive. I am not going to buy property in a rural area, and try to homestead; not at my age; not with my current family situation and responsibilities. That said, I do not see myself as any less of a survivalist than anybody else. I just have to do different things to survive. I believe I am fully prepared (mentally) to do whatever is necessary to survive. Isn't that the ultimate goal? To survive? Does it matter what you do or how long you do it as long as you survive?

Morgan101, I agree.
Bushcraft, forging & plant Id, snares & Tactical are all part of a kit to survive, that we all hope we do not have to use.

Hollywood has destroyed the term survivalist. They have portrayed such people as nut jobs with underground bunkers, gun towers, man snares, with the mentality of killing off anyone that gets near them. As far as products that are called survival knives, for example, the word survival is usually nothing more then a marketing tool.

Latest posts

Back