Prepper Pics & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2019-10-31_0939.png

There is so much wrong in that picture. The "houses" look like shacks and a single bullet might pass all the way through more than one of them. Looks like only one entrance/exit. Looks like they are all burning wood but I see no large stacks of firewood. Where are they storing all the hay for those horses?
The watch towers sure don't look bullet resistant at all.
I don't even see a water tank in the horse corral (though it could be covered by other buildings).
I think it is a painting of a fictional place.

I hope of the we reach TEOTWAWKI I have some engineers, carpenters, and construction workers on hand to build an idealistic community. Because otherwise in a world without you are probably going to get what you get.

I hope of the we reach TEOTWAWKI I have some engineers, carpenters, and construction workers on hand to build an idealistic community. Because otherwise in a world without you are probably going to get what you get.
relying on other people outside of the family is going to be a non starter.
the rebuilding phase of post SHTF is going to be a long way down the road, it wont happen straight away.

About the critique of the retreat community. "Wehrdorf".

-Its not perfect and very improvised but thats how it might possibly be.
Yes they cannot do agriculture or gardening but in a SHTF especilly in Winter there may be long stretches were agriculture is impossible anyway.
-yes the houses are flimsy.. but I dont have a grid up construction crew at my beck and call in SHTF.. do you?
-Who says u are defending against an attack that wants to kill everyone.. what about folks wanting to rob the women/girls? Very realistic and historically accurate scenario... they will not just blindly shoot up the town into the houses killing what they want to get.
-How much fencing did they have in the beginning? It can easily start as a smaller enclosed space and then folks build shacks inside..

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In SHTF we may only have a choice between a flawed improvisation and nothing at all.

PS: I will make a separate post on cover vs concealment

Last edited:
post SHTF life will be:
part self sufficiency, part self reliance, part self subsistence, there will be no welfare, no government aid, no outside agencies rushing to your rescue, if you cant make it, repair it or scavenge it, then you wont have it.
a lot of people even preppers don't seem to realise this.

Last edited:
Let's say for a minute that the place pictured truly existed.
They had spent a large amount of time and manpower along with a lot of scavenging for materials to build this compound. So why is every shack separate? It would have saved a lot of valuable materials to build only one or two large structures. That would have been easier to keep heated also. Why build the two towers so close together? Or even build them at all? I can not see any openings. I stand by my original claim that there is just way too much wrong with everything about the place. It is a fine picture but very little is reasonable about any of it.

I get it that you would not have delivery trucks dropping off all the building materials that you would need and that those that came together to build this compound might not have included anyone with building experience but I would have to assume some of the people would at least have some common sense. If not they would be doomed anyway.

It was learned long ago that no fortress is safe from attack. Cover and concealment is better than a mighty fortress.
You can't fight what you don't see. If you are unseen you don't have to fight.

Boats are a good idea. They are mobile and silent when the engine is off.
The problem is they have to float and stay more or less dry on the inside. A canoe is light weight, quiet, can carry a bit of cargo and travel in shallow water but it can be sunk easily. Boats that are built to be hard to sink require power to move, require deeper water and just don't go very fast. That means you have to stay out of range or you are a big, slow moving target. An engine requires fuel, and a lot of it and you need to be able to get more fuel and a lot of it. Steering mechanisms and props are easily damaged so they need to be protected from sunken logs, cables, nets and other debris.
I think a "survival" boat that could carry a number of people, food and water to keep them alive and enough fuel to keep them mobile could be built but it would have to be engineered to be low in the water, wide beamed, and low angle structures above the water line to make it more bullet resistant. It would need long range fire power and a way to desalinate water and perhaps use brown gas or hydrogen for fuel. A set of retractable hydrofoils for those times that you need speed more than stealth might be worth the trouble. You have salt for trade and fish could be a good barter item when you have to go into port.

Latest posts

Back