Preppers.........Pay attention to "SOUTH AFRICA"........there are lessons to be learned.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit basic, but here are some thoughts on the takeaways from the event:

Wake Up Call: South Africa

I am struggling a little not to get on my soap box about this. I truly truly do not want to offend anyone, especially people like Alaskajohn or Sourdough who have contributed so much and taught me so many things. That said though, the combination of advanced prepper and South African in me is struggling not to point out the faults in articles such as this.
It should not be taken away that for beginner preppers or just encouraging someone to start prepping this article has great value. But it is riddled with incorrect statements.

For example: (and yes I'm gonna get picky but if the author wants to put things on the internet like this at least get things right)
"The state of KwaZulu Natal is in a true Without-Rule-Of-Law situation"
First of all KZN is a province not a state. Second if this is how westerners see a WROL situation than there needs to be some re evaluation as to your understanding of the term. I looked it up and this is what I got: WROL stands for Without Rule of Law, doomsday prepper lingo for the complete breakdown of governance after a major environmental or other disaster. There was never a complete break down of governance in KZN or GP for that matter. Further more that article was written today, 3 days ago KZN was much closer to, or at WROL, than it is today. There were always still police on the streets trying their best. There are SANDF personal on the streets today. There are private security companies on the streets. I am not disputing that it was and still is dangerous, chaotic, damaging and on and on. But at no point did the government completely withdraw or collapse.

Another one:
Lesson: In a WROL situation, a badge and a uniform mean NOTHING. Do not rely on outward appearances. If you find yourself in a true WROL situation, understand that police may not be police. Don’t let them in by virtue of the uniform alone.
This is to me an obvious one, in a WROL situation or a normal every day situation. Of course the police may not be police. Two examples why. Just north of Durban there was a serial rapist nicknamed the Blue Light Rapist. Why? Because he did his car up, got a uniform, pulled female drivers over.. and you get the picture.
Second, Nova Scotia, Canada. The worst mass shooting in Canadian history happened here. The guy dressed up as a cop, did his car up like a police cruiser and proceeded to ruin and take many many lives.

I could go on through the article but I think I have probably annoyed everyone quite enough.

I am struggling a little not to get on my soap box about this. I truly truly do not want to offend anyone, especially people like Alaskajohn or Sourdough who have contributed so much and taught me so many things. That said though, the combination of advanced prepper and South African in me is struggling not to point out the faults in articles such as this.
It should not be taken away that for beginner preppers or just encouraging someone to start prepping this article has great value. But it is riddled with incorrect statements.

For example: (and yes I'm gonna get picky but if the author wants to put things on the internet like this at least get things right)
First of all KZN is a province not a state. Second if this is how westerners see a WROL situation than there needs to be some re evaluation as to your understanding of the term. I looked it up and this is what I got: WROL stands for Without Rule of Law, doomsday prepper lingo for the complete breakdown of governance after a major environmental or other disaster. There was never a complete break down of governance in KZN or GP for that matter. Further more that article was written today, 3 days ago KZN was much closer to, or at WROL, than it is today. There were always still police on the streets trying their best. There are SANDF personal on the streets today. There are private security companies on the streets. I am not disputing that it was and still is dangerous, chaotic, damaging and on and on. But at no point did the government completely withdraw or collapse.

Another one:
Lesson: In a WROL situation, a badge and a uniform mean NOTHING. Do not rely on outward appearances. If you find yourself in a true WROL situation, understand that police may not be police. Don’t let them in by virtue of the uniform alone.
This is to me an obvious one, in a WROL situation or a normal every day situation. Of course the police may not be police. Two examples why. Just north of Durban there was a serial rapist nicknamed the Blue Light Rapist. Why? Because he did his car up, got a uniform, pulled female drivers over.. and you get the picture.
Second, Nova Scotia, Canada. The worst mass shooting in Canadian history happened here. The guy dressed up as a cop, did his car up like a police cruiser and proceeded to ruin and take many many lives.

I could go on through the article but I think I have probably annoyed everyone quite enough.

Thanks, its is always a challenge as information is obviously tainted by a 10,000 mile long foggy lens.

First of all KZN is a province not a state.

Rebecca.........I believe the author of the article was using the word "State" as a reference to a "time" period and/or a "condition" that exists with-in that time period. And not referencing a political boundary.
In other words........the "current environmental conditions" in KwaZulu Natal.....

I realize this is "Painful" for you for many reasons. And I am sorry for your having to endure this.

Last edited:
I saw it on youtube, it looked like BLM riot, but persons not a part of the riot used guns to stop the riot from move their way. So it was different then here in USA.

I saw it on youtube, it looked like BLM riot, but persons not a part of the riot used guns to stop the riot from move their way. So it was different then here in USA.

Yes, in the US, those that tried to protect themselves with firearms were arrested for assaults or murder.

Rebecca.........I believe the author of the article was using the word "State" as a reference to a "time" period and/or a "condition" that exists with-in that time period. And not referencing a political boundary.
In other words........the "current environmental conditions" in KwaZulu Natal.....

I realize this is "Painful" for you for many reasons. And I am sorry for your having to endure this.
I'm not trying to jump on anybody here, but there as usual in the media, is just so much incorrect information. And if he meant state of the situation he should word things better. Things are quiet bad enough without authors and reporters either making things up or purposely twisting information.
And clarity is always a good idea...like the 1 million rounds of ammunition. Is he talking about all the ammo that has gone missing over the recent years (I'm sure that's over 1 million) or is he referring to the container in the port of Durban that got looted? It contained 1.5 million rounds actually and was being imported by SANDF. And that is definitely in the hands of the bad guys last time I saw an update.

This is government released, so like everything else, it's probably not accurate completely.

Screenshot_20210716-150603_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210716-150636_Chrome.jpg

I am really grateful for your concern.

Fortunately today I am much much happier and relieved. The immediate threat of violence has moved away from anywhere I have family and is greatly reduced overall today. The current concern is if they can all source enough food, but even in that regard most seem to be scraping by. It's perhaps not the standard of fare they may prefer but they are finding some items.

One of hubby's old co workers has family there. They are Indian. He said that the Indians were being threatened and that a lot of them drive taxis and used their vehicles and rifles to block off their neighborhoods to protect their homes/people.

To some folks it is about race and this is true of both Blacks and Whites. To Others it's about some form of tribalism. The facts are it's about Good vs Evil and the attacks on the Judeo/Christian values and principles of Western Civilization are just going to get worse. This is coming to several so called 1st World countries very soon. Globally speaking the so called establishment is the real disease masquerading as the cure. I know its not pretty nor palatable to most. but facts are often very cold and brutal. And no I'm not scared. I just call em like I see em no need to sugar coat a turd sandwich. Bad news never gets better with time. And hope is a very crappy plan.

Last edited:
I'm glad things are settling down to some degree. But my take away from this is how much damage and chaos has taken place in less than a week. It'll take months to years to get things back to normal in those areas, if they ever do.

Griz I totally agree, things like this are on the way for many other countries and is being pushed by the global establishments.

Latest posts

Back