Preppers Should Invest in Coffee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just plant the Imex Vomitoria Yaupon holly and roast the leaves and you can brew a caffeine tea, mix with chicory or roasted dandelion root for a closer to coffee type drink. Be carefull it has a much higher caffeine content ..hence its name.

How will you brew coffee?I have a Revere Ware drip pot,no electric needed and can sit over a fire.I don't use it now but did years ago but I still have it so I can have my coffee if SHTF.I stock up when they have small cans for $1.99. and Coffee Mate in case I can't get milk goats in time and sugar.I have to have coffee with my cream and sugar.

How will you brew coffee?I have a Revere Ware drip pot,no electric needed and can sit over a fire.I don't use it now but did years ago but I still have it so I can have my coffee if SHTF.I stock up when they have small cans for $1.99. and Coffee Mate in case I can't get milk goats in time and sugar.I have to have coffee with my cream and sugar.

That's something i didn't think about. thanks for reminding me.

I use my electric drip brewer when the power goes out. Just boil the water and pour it into the basket with the ground coffee in there. I have a percolator, in my trip bag, that I used when back-packing and it is still in good shape. I have also used T-shirts and a pot to make coffee. Coffee is easy with a little thought. In some places the grounds are in the cup and you let them settle before the next sip. It makes the after meal cup of coffee more relaxing and is a good time for conversation.

I use my electric drip brewer when the power goes out. Just boil the water and pour it into the basket with the ground coffee in there. I have a percolator, in my trip bag, that I used when back-packing and it is still in good shape. I have also used T-shirts and a pot to make coffee. Coffee is easy with a little thought. In some places the grounds are in the cup and you let them settle before the next sip. It makes the after meal cup of coffee more relaxing and is a good time for conversation.

I have a camp percolator. Had it for years. Works great.

A lot of Europeans drink instant coffee. I get the impression that their instant coffee is better than the instant coffee available in the US. Who knows? :dunno:

But, if I wanted good instant coffee, I'd look for European brands.

We just bought two on sale one from Italy the other from Africa, buy 1 get 1 free so thought I'd try them. Both are very good, no after taste like the two coffees we normally use. Both have a little bit of a chocolate taste, very good. Wonder if the coffee and chocolate plant are of the same plant family?

That's something i didn't think about. thanks for reminding me.

To just MAKE coffee all you need is something to boil the water and grind the beans. My grandpa would use a tin can to boil the water and dump in the coffee. He'd put a handkerchief in his cup and use it filter out the coffee grounds when he pours it into the cup.

I have a lot of Freeze Dried Coffee in my Preps. I use it when Hunting and Camping cause its easier and quicker to make in the field. 40oz Kleen Kanteen half full of water on Hot coals. When it steams dump Coffee Crystals in(who cares how much) and its done. Throw in a Hand full of sugar, Shake, Drink and Hang On. When Im in "The Field", I Love it I don't care if it doesn't taste like Starbucks. Before Breakfast, Before Lunch(if I get it) and before dinner. I live at 2600'. I Hunt and Camp at 7000+. Thin air wipes me out. Trappers, Soldiers and Settlers viewed Coffee as important as Salt and sugar. Coffee doesn't get a whole lot of Credit for "Winning The West" or "The Civil War", but it was very important. Im convinced of Coffees impact on the development of this Nation and Based on its past, I consider it a Vital part of my Preps. Im sure it will make life more productive Post SHTF, no matter what it tastes like.

:):);)Wh3n I was in South Africa a few years ago your only choice most of the time was instant coffee, and not the good stuff either. I will drink pretty near anything labelled coffee but I admit a preference for some brands (Folgers and Tim Hortons) and Bigbucks ain’t one of them. In fact when I walk into a Starbucks and tell them what I like they roll their eyes that I am such a peasant. A number of years ago when I was closer to 40 than 60 I was in a high faluting coffee shop and ordered my preference. The young man behind the counter began to tell me how horrible my brand was for my body. I smiled and deadpanned that I thought I looked pretty good for a man of nearly 80. He flushed,flustered and darn near choked on his apology

Last edited:
I have made what we call Cowboy coffee just heat water until it's almost ready to boil. Pour in grounds stir let it sit for 2 minutes. Pour a half cup of cold water to help grounds settle. Pour a cup and enjoy.

Last edited:
We have made boiled coffee and used the cold water trick but egg shells will work also to settle the grounds.

Instant coffee has an indefinite shelf life. I keep a case for long term storage. I also have individual packets for travel. An individual packet of instant coffee works well for a hotel size coffee pot and beats most hotel coffees for flavor. While instant is not my first choice I find it acceptable and even preferable to some restaurant and motel coffee.

I do not leave coffee on the burner as I hate burnt coffee. I pour my coffee into a thermos or if necessary rewarm in the microwave.

:):);)Wh3n I was in South Africa a few years ago your only choice most of the time was instant coffee, and not the good stuff either. I will drink pretty near anything labelled coffee but I admit a preference for some brands (Folgers and Tim Hortons) and Bigbucks ain’t one of them. In fact when I walk into a Starbucks and tell them what I like they roll their eyes that I am such a peasant. A number of years ago when I was closer to 40 than 60 I was in a high faluting coffee shop and ordered my preference. The young man behind the counter began to tell me how horrible my brand was for my body. I smiled and deadpanned that I thought I looked pretty good for a man of nearly 80. He flushed,flustered and darn near choked on his apology

:thumbs up:, nothing like evidence.:D

We have made boiled coffee and used the cold water trick but egg shells will work also to settle the grounds.

Instant coffee has an indefinite shelf life. I keep a case for long term storage. I also have individual packets for travel. An individual packet of instant coffee works well for a hotel size coffee pot and beats most hotel coffees for flavor. While instant is not my first choice I find it acceptable and even preferable to some restaurant and motel coffee.

I do not leave coffee on the burner as I hate burnt coffee. I pour my coffee into a thermos or if necessary rewarm in the microwave.

I'll try the egg shells never minded a few grounds in my cup.

oops hit post by mistake! I hate coffee, however my Mrs drinks it.

Question can coffee be freeze dried to preserve long term? Might do that for some barter items or for a treat for those that do enjoy it.

oops hit post by mistake! I hate coffee, however my Mrs drinks it.

Question can coffee be freeze dried to preserve long term? Might do that for some barter items or for a treat for those that do enjoy it.

Some of the instants are freeze dried

Some of the instants are freeze dried
So if I freeze dried some quality coffee it should be good to go for 20 years then! I will have to give that a try some try! I have seen shelf lifes for freeze dried advertised at 2-20 years, that is quite a wide range! We store all of our freeze dried goods in vacuum sealed mason jars with O2 absorbers inside, I always use 2 packages of O2 absorbers and pull 1 from each package to put 2 in each. This way if a batch of O2 absorbers is bad the other one should pick up the slack!

I should also mention our jars are stored in a dark room, temperature and humidity controlled. temp at 68, humidity at or below 50%.

Instant coffee has an indefinite shelf life. Many expiration dates are put there by the company attorneys, who want to deter law suits, or the marketing dept., who want you to throw it out and buy more.

If you can freeze dry then try a batch, what have you got to loose. Let us know how it turns out.

I will get some beans and grind them and put them straight into the freeze dryer. Let em sit for a while then slip the grounds into my wife's coffee stash. I won't say anything just see if she reacts to it! She will be my guinea:switch:that is what I will get after I tell her what I did to! LOL

A lot of Europeans drink instant coffee. I get the impression that their instant coffee is better than the instant coffee available in the US. Who knows? :dunno:

But, if I wanted good instant coffee, I'd look for European brands.
Thanks for that tip. I wonder if it might be available in specialty grocery stores? I am going to look around and see if I can find some. I'll let you know what I find.

This was a great story. I am not about Starbucks either. I only go when I get gift cards for there. I am especially irked about having to place an order in Italian. I refuse.

Someone told me many years ago that one of the best places to get a good cup of coffee for a great price is 7-11. I haven't had a cup of coffee from there for a long time, so I don't know if it still is. McDonald's is not a bad place to get a cup of coffee when you are road tripping, IMO.

I was talking to my 86 year old uncle and he asked me if it mattered to me about something food. I told him that some things just don't matter. I guess that I am not a high maintenance kind of person. I like a good cup of coffee, and for years I preferred a particular brand with a particular flavor. People would come to my classroom and ask if they could have a cup. (It is great to be able to have a coffee pot in your classroom, especially when you might only leave a couple times a day to go to the restroom!) Then that company decided to no longer make that flavor. :(

For ever, I kept Coffeemate at home and at school and drank my coffee quite blonde. One day someone told me that they only used cream in their coffee and how good it was. Just like that, I bought no more coffeemate, because she was right! My little cube fridge at work always had cream or half and half for my coffee.

I don't really know how I decided to start drinking instant, but I have been for a couple years. I prefer Taster's Choice, and I still like it quite blonde. I try to buy a jar every month so that I am building up a stash of it. I do have 100s of packages of instant starbucks that someone was giving away. It is not my favorite, but I do take it when I travel and drink it now and then.

Cream, on the other hand, is quite pricey and while I do have some shelf stable cream from Trader Joes, I don't think I will ever have enough to last me indefinitely. Evaporated milk is just not the same.

Love cream and sugar in my coffee, condensed milk is breeze than nothing, black when I am in the mood.

Drip, French press, brewed in a tin pot over the fire, instant in a pinch.

Boil a pound of coffee over the fire, throw in a horseshoe, boil TIL the horseshoe melts or floats and drink it that way.

I really don't get it. :dunno: Coffee tastes like something left over after a chemical experiment went horribly wrong. :eek:
:( There is a guy in my neighborhood who said something similar about kombucha. He had never had any before, but when he went into the store and saw all the varieties, he bought one to try. It is nothing like soda or many other beverages that people drink. I could only imagine him sitting in his car and spraying it out of his mouth all over the interior.

@robin416 hijack away, the more info we learn the better prepared away.

I myself drink anyways from 2 to 3 mugs of coffee a day while I work. Necessary evil (For me) while I drive. This is my cup. It holds extra large coffee. In this pic. my coffee is cold. The way I figure it, cold coffee is better then no coffee lol

View attachment 1177

K drinks coffee on the way to and from work. It is the same cup he pours in the morning. He gets half of it while it is hot then finishes the cold half on the way home.

I really don't get it. :dunno: Coffee tastes like something left over after a chemical experiment went horribly wrong. :eek:
Not only is it tasty it’s biblical.

The most ancient manuscripts of Genesis do not have man created from the dust of the earth instead it says ground of the bean which is why the first cup in the morning is so spiritual. In the New Testament there is even a book named after it call He Brews.

No accounting for differences in taste I guess but I have been drinking coffee since my preteen years. It’s not the caffeine because I can go without with no side effects or drink decaf. I just like the taste

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back