Preppers Should Invest in Coffee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard that coffee is good for preps, but I'll pass. Don't like the stuff, and I don't want to like the stuff. I'm trying to give up caffeine (pop)! lol

I'm working on herbal teas. See, I like the concept of herbal teas - always have. I just don't care for the taste all that much. (I'm a major pop-aholic, change is hard) But when I try new teas I focus on herbs that will grow in my area. That way, once I acquire a taste for a certain herbal tea, I'll be able to grow it. Or so I hope.
That's good to focus on herbs that grow in your area. The cost of herbal teas is outrageous. It has gone up $2-3 in the last 4 years per box.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread b/c I have seen some great coffee prices lately! Meijers has their brand of coffee for $3.99 per container this week. And last week I got several Maxwell House 36.8 oz coffee containers for $4.99 each. Take a peek at your local grocers and keep an eye on the sales. I don't know what's going on, but the prices in the past couple of weeks have been awesome! It's a great time to stock up some coffee.:coffee:

I buy the walmart brand for $2.77 a container. I get the columbian roast since we like that one the best and their medium roast seems weak to me. I've always found maxwell house as bitter.
Sometimes I can find a local grocery has their store brand on sale for $2.50 a can. I'm not a coffee snob lol

I haven't looked at the whole thread. has anyone suggested tea?

https://myfolia.com/plants/1808-tea-plant-camellia-sinensis/varieties/20318-sochi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sochi#Tea

I would grow the " Sochi" but I'd more than likely have to do them in large pots so I could move them indoors in the winter

I have loads of tea bags stored in vacuum sealed jars and also did up some mylar bags with O2's of teabags. I have the black tea and decaffeinated and also lots of herbals that I can't or don't grow

I buy the walmart brand for $2.77 a container. I get the columbian roast since we like that one the best and their medium roast seems weak to me. I've always found maxwell house as bitter.
Sometimes I can find a local grocery has their store brand on sale for $2.50 a can. I'm not a coffee snob lol

What size containers?

11.3oz

coffee like everything now is smaller portions higher prices
I just noticed this recently too. I bought a tin of coffee for about the same price as the others in a much larger tin. I generally buy a tin every big trip to get groceries. know that I don't make the big trips a much my coffee supply was short a few tins. So just this week I went to our local store and noticed all the smaller containers at about the same price as the larger tins..

really! :) I imagine they can be stored in buckets in lids with 02 absorbers?? or?
I am a proponent of lining my bucket with a mylar bag, adding the food, adding my O2 absorbers, then sealing. This creates a vacuum in the mylar bag. If you create a vacuum in a bucket you can crush the bucket and break the seal.

I haven't looked at the whole thread. has anyone suggested tea?

https://myfolia.com/plants/1808-tea-plant-camellia-sinensis/varieties/20318-sochi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sochi#Tea

I would grow the " Sochi" but I'd more than likely have to do them in large pots so I could move them indoors in the winter

I have loads of tea bags stored in vacuum sealed jars and also did up some mylar bags with O2's of teabags. I have the black tea and decaffeinated and also lots of herbals that I can't or don't grow

We are going to try to grow tea after we move. We are going to try both tea and moranga in the greenhouse.

11.3oz

coffee like everything now is smaller portions higher prices

Yes, retailers are doing it on pretty much all products. That's why I posted about the coffee sales and why I was suprised about the sales with the larger containers since I usually can't even find the large 36.8 oz containers anymore. To actully find it on sale was a huge find for me. The meijer containers are now a measly 30.5 oz. I have the same brand in storage and they are 33 oz. Still, at $3.99 per can, that's still not a bad price.

I wish we had a Costco close.:( I've never roasted my own beans, but I'd be willing to stock some beans and give it a try.

If the manufacturers don't stop downsizing the toilet paper, I'm gonna have to try out those corn cobs.:rolleyes: The downsizing is just getting ridiculous! I'm now using Aldi TP since they still use the wide sheets.

We grow our own peppermint tea every year.
I have a mint patch. It will take over. I originally read to plant it in pots in the ground. I did. The mint seeded and a whole section is mint now. I had peppermint, spearmint and another variety. The peppermint is still going strong, but the spearmint is gone. I think a dedicated space for mint, in a narrow strip somewhere that can't spread would help, unless you want it to.

Another thought is to plant it in pots in an area such as a deck or porch. I have some things in pots that come back every year. It was how I finally got chives to come back year after year.

Peppermint, Spearmint, Chocolate mint are in one whiskey barrel.
Ciltrano, Sweet Basil, English Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Russian Sage, Purple Sage, Sage, Marojam ,Fennel, Lavender, French Lavender, are in 4 foot by 4 foot herb garden.
Also got edible flowers in there too. Then pick, either hang to dry or use dehydrator and make up my own seasoning mixes.
Use coffee bean grinder to make into powder.
Mint will take over, every neighbor down here has a mint of some kind in a flower pot.

One of my long term storage items is instant coffee. It has a longer shelf life than I do and I can pick some up once in a while when Costco has it on sale.

I have a couple of jars of instant but those are for emergency , like if all my coffee storage is gone. lol
I have some of those small "sticks" of instant coffee in our BOBs and GHBs. And some of those takeout little powdered creamer packets

181018.JPG

I'll have to check and see if the espresso is at out local Dollar Tree

We go through a larger can of Folgers once a week. And half a pack of Starbucks whole bean for the barista when we want to get fancy. We have 9 months of Folgers on the shelf and about the same of the whole bean. Some of the instant, too, but I'd only drink that if I had to. I've also got some really big bags of dried Yerbe Matte, and that's got a good caffeine kick.

We go through a larger can of Folgers once a week. And half a pack of Starbucks whole bean for the barista when we want to get fancy. We have 9 months of Folgers on the shelf and about the same of the whole bean. Some of the instant, too, but I'd only drink that if I had to. I've also got some really big bags of dried Yerbe Matte, and that's got a good caffeine kick.
I have drank coffee since I was a child. I say if it hits the fan, I want enough on hand to wean myself off of it. The other method could be lethal for anyone who crossed me that day 😳🤣

It is a good thing to have in storage and I don't drink it anymore. Good bartering item.
I will trade you Sourdough bread, waffles for your coffee.
Estelle says Granny gets grumpy with no coffee.
I try to have a year's worth of coffee on hand at all times.
But I have been known to run out of coffee on occasion especially in the last year.
So I am replenishing my stock now.

Yep, that's me. And don't give me decaf. I get meaner, grumpier if that possible. And I don't want none of that fu fu crap either. Straight up Army strong black coffee. By the way I have drank Marine, Navy and Air Force coffee it isn't bad either.But of course I personally prefer Army strong straight up black and don't wash my coffee cup or pot. I take cake of that myself when it's time.

Just had 12 pounds of whole bean coffee delivered today. Ad that to the 6#s we already have. We should invest in a non-electric coffee mill.
I use a hand crank mill but just grind "real" coffee on the weekends. During the week it's the pretend preground stuff 😊

Just had 12 pounds of whole bean coffee delivered today. Ad that to the 6#s we already have. We should invest in a non-electric coffee mill.
I had an antique hand coffee grinder. I didn’t trust it to last the rest of my life so I bought a new one.

Latest posts

Back