Prepping: A Team Approach

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2020/01/15/prepping-team/

Posted on January 15, 2020 by Jim Cobb

Many people have woken up to the realization that long-term preparedness requires a team approach. Community survival planning is the way to go. Of course, that means you need to be in touch with others in your area who are of like mind.

Over and over, I hear how preppers just can’t seem to find anyone in their local area who is interested in disaster planning. Look, there are over 3 million self-avowed preppers in the United States. There are countless more who might not think of themselves as preppers but are taking active steps to be better prepared for emergencies.

activity-adventure-backlit-backpack-450062.jpg

Photo by Tirachard Kumtanom from Pexels

Team
If you can’t find a single person who is interested in prepping, the problem lies likely with you, not with them. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh but that’s what it boils down to, really. One or more of the following likely applies to your situation.

1) You interact with exceptionally few people in your daily life. If you only ever speak to the same three people every day, you’ll need to expand your horizons a bit. Either that or quit complaining.

2) You tend to be more than a little passionate about the subject of prepping, which in turn makes people uneasy. Take it slow and easy when broaching the topic with people. If you go from zero to THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH in 0.6 seconds every single time the subject comes up, yes, you do indeed sound like a whack job.

3) You just flat out aren’t trying very hard and expect people to find you instead. Face it, you’re going to have to actually leave your house occasionally. Visit some community events where preppers are likely to be in attendance, such as farmers markets and such. Go out to gun shows. Attend local classes on topics like gardening and food preservation (you can find these classes at your library or through the park & rec department).

ground-group-growth-hands-461049.jpg

Social Media
Social media can be a useful tool for meeting people who share similar interests but taking the leap from the screen to face-to-face can feel daunting. If there are more than a few people involved, trying to arrange any sort of meeting can be like herding cats. Sometimes, rather than trying to find a day and time that works for everyone, it might be easier to set up a couple of small get-togethers first, letting people attend whichever one fits their schedule.

You might spend years waiting for someone else to start a group in your area. Take the initiative yourself and see what happens. Bear in mind that this doesn’t need to be a true mutual assistance group, where everyone agrees to help everyone else, come what may. It could be as simple as a few people who get together for lunch once a month and chat about prepping related topics.

It takes a long time to build trust. You can’t expect to go from complete strangers to best friends in the course of an afternoon. But every journey begins with that first step.

I 100% disagree with every thing the article said.........including the date. (It is dated for tomorrow)

I'm with Lonewolf on this one. Family only, and I am not crazy about all of those. The number of people I trust I could count on one hand and have fingers left over. I am certainly not going to look for people that I would trust with my life.

Latest posts

Back