Prepping for Pizza!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do our dinner "kits" always in mylar, then store them in big tubs with tight lids. I like the extra protection, too. I don't know about the yeast. But it's worth a try. What's in self rising flour? Can't be that hard. Maybe it's just baking powder. What didn't you like about the tomatoes?
It might be my dehydrator. They were just not right. It seemed as though parts were done too much and other parts were not done enough. I have dehydrated a number of things, but it seems that the stuff I purchase is superior to mine. I thought it should have been the other way.

Self rising flour has baking powder, I believe. It would not be the end of the world to have a pizza dough that was not made with yeast, but baking powder has a limited shelf life as well.

Last edited:
BUT...you can make single acting baking powder (not double acting) with shelf stable ingredients:
2 parts cream of tartar and 1 part baking soda. Single acting meaning that it will rise only once and when it reacts to liquid. It doesn't rise again in the oven when exposed to heat.
So, for a pizza, it would be as raised as it's going to get when you put it in the oven.

BUT...you can make single acting baking powder (not double acting) with shelf stable ingredients:
2 parts cream of tartar and 1 part baking soda. Single acting meaning that it will rise only once and when it reacts to liquid. It doesn't rise again in the oven when exposed to heat.
So, for a pizza, it would be as raised as it's going to get when you put it in the oven.
When I see this information, I think there could or should be a master list of things that gives a brief description of what and why. There are many lists of what and how much to store, typically done for 1 year's worth.

I was thinking it was alum, but yes, it is cream of tartar. It comes in such small cans, relative to how much we could really store. And then, spice cabinets are always inadequate for having one of each spice, but having an organized surplus or storage spices is another level of challenge. I have built some spice storage shelves, but there seems to be an ongoing need for expansion.

I get the very large jars at Sams and at Shamrock. Just realized I'm out of the large jar of Alum. I think our son took it for tanning rabbit hides. I have a large shelf with the big jars of each spice. In the kitchen I keep the little tiny mason jars (labeled) with the spice. I refill when I need to. I've found cream of tartar for $1 a small jar at Big Lots. We use it at the preschool to make playdough, so I always get a bunch. Need to do a Shamrock run. They have the weird stuff Sams doesn't.

I get the very large jars at Sams and at Shamrock. Just realized I'm out of the large jar of Alum. I think our son took it for tanning rabbit hides. I have a large shelf with the big jars of each spice. In the kitchen I keep the little tiny mason jars (labeled) with the spice. I refill when I need to. I've found cream of tartar for $1 a small jar at Big Lots. We use it at the preschool to make playdough, so I always get a bunch. Need to do a Shamrock run. They have the weird stuff Sams doesn't.
These are great things to discuss. Cream of Tartar is on my shopping list now.

We don't have Shamrock, that I know of, only Shamrock gas stations. I haven't been to Big Lots in a while. It was the one place I could find canned hams for all those beans. Maybe someone knows another place to get canned hams, or what to use as an alternative. Ham and pineapple are potential pizza toppings.

I have a shelf that I built to keep the large spice bottles on and another one that I built for the smaller ones in my kitchen as well. I do need to build another spice shelf for all of those small spice jars that do not fit on the first one I built. But, I have a couple boxes of spices that I need to have on a shelf in alphabetical order and to be able to more easily see what I have or need.

I bought a big shelf from Sams Club and put the big jars in alphabetical order. Spices that I grew myself are put in mason jars and also there. I just blew through the rest of my homegrown sage and oregano making the 1/2 gallon of vegetable bouillon powder. I get canned hams at Big Lots, too. And Bear Creek soups and pastas and peanut butter powder. Aldis in Kansas has canned hams, too, and I think they are cheaper than Big Lots. Do you have any restaurant supply stores near you for spices?

I bought a big shelf from Sams Club and put the big jars in alphabetical order. Spices that I grew myself are put in mason jars and also there. I just blew through the rest of my homegrown sage and oregano making the 1/2 gallon of vegetable bouillon powder. I get canned hams at Big Lots, too. And Bear Creek soups and pastas and peanut butter powder. Aldis in Kansas has canned hams, too, and I think they are cheaper than Big Lots. Do you have any restaurant supply stores near you for spices?
I know there are some that are maybe half an hour from me. Thank you for the reminder. I haven't been to them in a while. I need to do an internet search and go on some field trips to all the options.

This would make the kits lighter in weight and they would last longer on the shelf. Canned tomato products have a limited shelf life due to the acid.

I personally don't have any, but will get some tomato powder. I have dehydrated tomatoes, but wasn't thrilled at the outcome. I will try again this summer. I would like to walk in somewhere and buy tomato powder and I have two possible locations where I have seen it before, but not close to home. I think this would be preferable for long term storage.

I am also concerned about the shelf life of the yeast in these packets. I always keep mine in the freezer or fridge. I think that even though there is yeast packed into these kits, it would still be a great idea to keep some in the fridge or freezer if it doesn't work from the kits.

I have also been thinking of the kits in Mylar. I think making some up and then keeping them in 5 gallon buckets as a second layer of protection is peace of mind. I have had bugs get into Mylar bags and know that rodents can get into Mylar. Also, the second layer protects against rodents. I do have some empty popcorn tins that would work as well. I would put some diatomaceous earth into the buckets for bugs.

There is also dehydrated (or powdered) shortening. I use it for mixes.

There is also dehydrated (or powdered) shortening. I use it for mixes.
I have some! Great idea.

When you use it for mixes, do you mean such as making a brownie mix and adding it to the mix? I think that is what I saw when I bought mine, that this is exactly what is used in some mixes we purchase.

I keep dehydrated sourdough at about six month intervals. I can get the starter ready to make bread in as little as two days. There is a lot of natural yeast in the air in most places. All you have to do is expose a flour and water mix to it and keep it fed over a week or, at most, two weeks to have a strong enough yeast to make your bread products. There is no need to store yeast. I also have a store of baking powder. As long as it is kept cool and dry it will last a year or more. I add a little to my sourdough pancakes to make them fluffy for my wife. I will eat them without the fluffy but that is an acquired taste. ;)

I keep dehydrated sourdough at about six month intervals. I can get the starter ready to make bread in as little as two days. There is a lot of natural yeast in the air in most places. All you have to do is expose a flour and water mix to it and keep it fed over a week or, at most, two weeks to have a strong enough yeast to make your bread products. There is no need to store yeast. I also have a store of baking powder. As long as it is kept cool and dry it will last a year or more. I add a little to my sourdough pancakes to make them fluffy for my wife. I will eat them without the fluffy but that is an acquired taste. ;)
I don't bake like I used to. If I was eating more carbs and baking more, I would be working the whole sourdough thing. It is a process and sourdough needs to be tended. If and when we are in a SHTF situation, I would totally get into sourdough. What I did not realize is that there is dehydrated sourdough, and I will be looking for that to add to my preps. I do have yeast in my freezer, and I know others do as well.

In the meantime, I make banana bread from the family recipe a few times a year for my daughter and friends. That is about all the baking I am doing these days. Since it is gluten free, I am not in a place to keep bread flour rotated to keep fresh and m freezer is stuffed. (Anyone else have a packed freezer?)

Check out Anne of All Trades making and baking pizza. Check out the wood fired oven! If you are interested in making things, Anne is always sharing videos of her shop, tools and her latest creations.

This is the video of her making her outdoor kitchen. I haven't checked the price of her specific oven, but this whole process would cost a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:
When I see this information, I think there could or should be a master list of things that gives a brief description of what and why. There are many lists of what and how much to store, typically done for 1 year's worth.

I was thinking it was alum, but yes, it is cream of tartar. It comes in such small cans, relative to how much we could really store. And then, spice cabinets are always inadequate for having one of each spice, but having an organized surplus or storage spices is another level of challenge. I have built some spice storage shelves, but there seems to be an ongoing need for expansion.

We need to store up lots of things that we need. Got behind this past couple years. So far only spices or herbs we have is Rosemary, Parsley plants. I do need to buy more cream of tartar.

We need to store up lots of things that we need. Got behind this past couple years. So far only spices or herbs we have is Rosemary, Parsley plants. I do need to buy more cream of tartar.
Of all the things we store, there are two things that are really difficult or impossible for us to produce or find in tough situations: salt and baking soda.

Forever, baking soda was sold in a box which was good unless or until it got wet or absorbed nasty odors. I really like that it can be purchased in a 7 pound bag now. It has so many practical uses.

Salt can be harvested from some places, and for those who live by salt water can dehydrate the water out and have sea salt. It was once used as currency and like baking soda, has many practical uses.

Other spices that I think are important to store are tropical spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper (mostly grown in India), tumeric. I think that spices could be worth their weight in a SHTF situation. I keep some in canning jars.

Of all the things we store, there are two things that are really difficult or impossible for us to produce or find in tough situations: salt and baking soda.

Forever, baking soda was sold in a box which was good unless or until it got wet or absorbed nasty odors. I really like that it can be purchased in a 7 pound bag now. It has so many practical uses.

Salt can be harvested from some places, and for those who live by salt water can dehydrate the water out and have sea salt. It was once used as currency and like baking soda, has many practical uses.

Other spices that I think are important to store are tropical spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper (mostly grown in India), tumeric. I think that spices could be worth their weight in a SHTF situation. I keep some in canning jars.

Thats for sure about the salt and baking powder. I need to buy some more of both of those.
I like to order my flour from King Arthur Flour. We buy the self rising for biscuits ,pancakes ,etc, and the plain for pastry's and cakes. It doesn't have the bitter after taste of most store bought brands. I can'r afford to buy the organic so I buy this one.:huggs:nice typing to ya again.

Thats for sure about the salt and baking powder. I need to buy some more of both of those.
I like to order my flour from King Arthur Flour. We buy the self rising for biscuits ,pancakes ,etc, and the plain for pastry's and cakes. It doesn't have the bitter after taste of most store bought brands. I can'r afford to buy the organic so I buy this one.:huggs:nice typing to ya again.
:I agree:
I noticed you were not posting this week, but I thought maybe you had company or went to see one of your children. I hope you are well. :huggs:

:I agree:
I noticed you were not posting this week, but I thought maybe you had company or went to see one of your children. I hope you are well. :huggs:

Thanks Sweety and I'm fine just so much to do and puter is extra slow. Even slower since I cussed out Windstream.
I don't like to be mean to people who are just doing their job but they go above and beyond the job duty. Playing childish games like I can't hear you think we have a bad connection". After listening to their ugly elevator music for hours and talking to so called supervisors I lost it!
I said " go to hell " did you hear that"! :comp bullet.My service got really bad after my out burst. So now pages and stuff like to load slow, and my web kicks off in middle of typing. :devil::huh:

Thanks Sweety and I'm fine just so much to do and puter is extra slow. Even slower since I cussed out Windstream.
I don't like to be mean to people who are just doing their job but they go above and beyond the job duty. Playing childish games like I can't hear you think we have a bad connection". After listening to their ugly elevator music for hours and talking to so called supervisors I lost it!
I said " go to hell " did you hear that"! :comp bullet.My service got really bad after my out burst. So now pages and stuff like to load slow, and my web kicks off in middle of typing. :devil::huh:
Yep, they did that to you on purpose. There are some nasty service policies with some tech companies. There is one in Colorado that people talk and write about. People try to quit the service and it keeps on going and going. People on the phone are anything but helpful.

Yep, they did that to you on purpose. There are some nasty service policies with some tech companies. There is one in Colorado that people talk and write about. People try to quit the service and it keeps on going and going. People on the phone are anything but helpful.

Not to speak of them being monopoly's ,so its the only game in town.

I try to live by this quote below,doesn't always work though.

" it is better to understand than to be understood ". Don't know who said it.

Now that they make a Pizza MRE, I am all set.

pepperoni-cheese-pizza.jpg

I recently bought some pizza stones to use on the grill b/c I know I will never get an outdoor oven. These worked great! We sprinkled corn meal on the stones before putting the pizzas on and they turned out perfect. If we were out of charcoal, we could use the stones over a campfire with our tripod grill. The stones can be fragile so you'd have to be careful. We found that we didn't need to use the lids b/c we just used the lid on the grill. However, over a campfire, the lids would probably be helpful.
https://www.marthastewart.com/shop/...pc0005-p2c613c436159a504d3755a8dd2c31843.html

I actually bought 6 of these on Amazon so that we can do these when we camp. We can just put the ingredients out and let everyone make their own. I just need to make the dough ahead of time and then we should be good to go.

ETA: That pizza kit that was posted about earlier in the thread is on sale here. I've never used the site before, but it looks legit. $73.83 with no tax and free shipping seems like a pretty good deal.
https://www.govets.com/consumer-pro...iking-freeze-dried-food-5-20482-dgv-45153792/

Last edited:
Now that they make a Pizza MRE, I am all set.

View attachment 23434

Yes I have. They are exactly what you would expect from an MRE. You can tell it is pizza, it has a pizza taste to it, but if you are not in combat or survival mode there are FAR better options.

The last pizza I made, which was months ago, was made with a keto crust made with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs. It was not the recipe with almond flour. I just read through this thread and realized I never shared that recipe. It turned out well. I have thought about making up a few and putting them in the freezer.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19880909/low-carb-pizza-crust-recipe/

YIELDS:4 - 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 35 MINS
INGREDIENTS

Cooking spray, for pan

4 large eggs
4 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. pizza sauce
1/4 c. pepperoni
1/4 thinly sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp. thinly sliced black olives
basil leaves, torn
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a small baking sheet with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, 3 cups mozzarella, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, and spread mixture evenly on baking sheet.
  2. Bake until lightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Spread pizza sauce on top of baked crust. Top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives.
  3. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is crispy, about 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with basil. Slice and remove from pan while still warm.

Latest posts

Back