Prepping for Pizza!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one who is trying to up their food storage now?
I have had a few influences lately to re-visit this thread:
1. I need to lose some weight, so I have been looking at the Keto Friendly South Beach Diet book and found a recipe for pizza for phase 1. I thought it would be good to share here.
2. Russia and Ukraine
3. I went to Dollar Tree to get more pizza sauce, now$1.25 a jar, but still much cheaper than my grocery stores. I do have tomato powder and a big bag of Italian seasoning now, since this thread was started.

I would think that there are a few cheeses that could be used instead of the Gouda cheese. I'm not sure which ones would work better. I think I would prefer to make the sauce with tomato powder, because only using 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes leaves an open can of tomatoes now needing to be cooked in something else.
This is also a gluten free pizza.

Keto Pizza

Ingredients
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder
2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
1 ounce chopped prosciutto

Directions
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a baking sheet very lightly with olive oil and set aside.
Bring 1/4 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Pour into a small heatproof bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Set the mixture aside for at least 5 minutes.
Pulse the almond flour, salt, melted butter, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, thym, rosemary and oregano in a food processor until combined.
Whisk the gelatin into the water to dissolve it and add this mixture to the food processor. Pulse for 1 minute, until a dough forms.
Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of parchment paper. Cover the dough with another large sheet of parchment paper.
Roll the dough out to a circle 8 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch thick.
Top the dough with the crushed tomatoes, basil leaves, shredded Gouda, shredded mozzarella, and chopped prosciutto.
Transfer to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is crispy and the cheese is bubbling.
Cut the pizza into 6 slices. Serve warm or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
1 slice per serving.

Last edited:
The book has a second pizza recipe, for phase 2. This crust recipe looks fairly familiar, and may be a keto crust that is out there already. I need almond flour! This is also gluten free!

For the crust:
1 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
2 ounces full-fat cream cheese
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic

For the toppings:
1/2 cup pizza sauce (no sugar added)
1 cup whole-milk mozzarella cheese
32 thin slices of pepperoni (2 to 3 ounces)
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Place an oven rack at the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 425*. Take out a baking sheet and cut two pieces of parchment paper the same size. Set them aside.
Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Transfer it to a food processor.
Add the almond flour and egg to the cheese mixture and pulse until a dough forms, about 2 minutes.
Remove the dough from the food processor and transfer it to a piece of parchment paper. Cover the dough with the other piece of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle about the size of your baking sheet, approximately 1/4 inch thick.
Remove the top piece of parchment paper and transfer the dough along with the bottom piece of parchment paper to a baking sheet.
Use a fork to poke holes all over the dough. Spread the minced garlic evenly on top.
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven for 9 minutes or until the dough starts to turn golden. Remove it from the oven.
For the topping, spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella evenly on top, followed by the pepperoni and crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the other toppings.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts and starts to bubble. Remove the pizza from the oven and allow it to cool before slicing and serving. Cut the pizza into 8 slices. 1 slice per serving.

I canned pizza sauce this morning, repackaging a gallon of sauce that was given me. For lunch, pizza from supplies in storage.
I am on the fence about more preps. The food will get eaten sooner or later, but family is not on board and stuff is accumulating. When I see what is in the stores and the prices, I definitely want more in storage. World events say it would be foolish not to kick it up a notch.

I canned pizza sauce this morning, repackaging a gallon of sauce that was given me. For lunch, pizza from supplies in storage.
I am on the fence about more preps. The food will get eaten sooner or later, but family is not on board and stuff is accumulating. When I see what is in the stores and the prices, I definitely want more in storage. World events say it would be foolish not to kick it up a notch.
It is a dilemma. How much is enough? How much is too much?

I cant tolerate carbs, so once in a while I make a pizza like thing using eggs as the base, not easy to eat with your hands , but easy to eat non the less

I cant tolerate carbs, so once in a while I make a pizza like thing using eggs as the base, not easy to eat with your hands , but easy to eat non the less
We all have to do what works for us, be it problems with carbs, gluten, dairy, or other.
I have been tolerating too many carbs, and need to back way off of them for a long time.

My KETO diet is as close to zero carbs as possible. Body fat goes away very fast. I have come to the conclusion that carbs turn instantly to fat because my body produces too much insulin. (I am a spontaneous hipoglycemiac.)

My KETO diet is as close to zero carbs as possible. Body fat goes away very fast. I have come to the conclusion that carbs turn instantly to fat because my body produces too much insulin. (I am a spontaneous hipoglycemiac.)
I really think that carbs were introduced to our diet to make us consume far more volume of food, kind of a marketing trap. Have you heard of insulin resistance, I just get hungry when I consume carb, I often wonder if that is where sweet deserts came from, to stop the hunger pangs even though one is full of "food"

Last edited:
I knew of a book a number of years ago that a friend read about grains, wheat, gluten. These are the kinds of things that cause inflammation. They affect our brains and cause brain fog. If a person can go very low carbs, it is better for us in many ways.

I turn into a blimp with any grains, fruit, sugars and / or veggies with carbs.
I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese (high fat), spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
Lettuce, celery, vinegar & oil for dressing. I allow myself to cheat occasionally. I fast after cheating to help keep me where I should be in consuming body fat. The diet does nothing for my back pain (which is why I started) but it doesn't make it worse either.
Aspirin is the only drug I use but I do take vitamin supplements.
I still cook starch foods and sugary stuff for my wife and brother, I just don't get to eat any. :(

When I make the time I will have to print out my pizza recipe. I start with sourdough with some pepper added and build from there. It is not an inexpensive pizza but it is likely to be the way you judge all pizza after that.

The kid has reactive hypoglycemia, its such a pain because we don't know what triggers it.

Am I the only one who is trying to up their food storage now?

You are not alone in that regard. We have been increasing our food storage thinking that the war could cause shortages and supply chain issues. We really haven't had any supply issues. We have been able to get everything we want, but prices have certainly gone up. I know milk has gone up 24% this year. Shelves have been emptier than usual, but I guess what they don't have is nothing I need.

The only problem I have with my diet is will power. I have done better staying away from the bad things, but I have this self destructive policy that I can't seem to avoid. If the bag isn't resealable it's one portion. That is the demon I have to fight.

The only problem I have with my diet is will power. I have done better staying away from the bad things, but I have this self destructive policy that I can't seem to avoid. If the bag isn't resealable it's one portion. That is the demon I have to fight.
Me, too. The pandemic took a hit on my will power and anxiety, which causes me to snack too much. I used to walk, then just started staying in, or working in the yard. I'm going out now, but still have anxiety and not stopping myself. Once I get a plan going, I can be good in weight loss. I just have struggled to get one going again.

As my dad likes to say, "Pizza is just an open-face sandwich". We make classic cheese pizza, but we also make:

• Chicken Broccoli Pizza
  • Chicken Hot Sauce / Bleu Cheese Pizza
  • Taco Pizza
  • Pot Pie Pizza
  • Reuben Pizza
  • Spaghetti Pizza
  • Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Pizza
  • Philly-Steak Pizza

CHICKEN BROCCOLI PIZZA

Valentino's Pizza Crust Recipe

1 Cup Warm Water (110 Degrees)
1 Tbsp. Sugar
2 T. Yeast
3 T. Oil
Pinch of Salt
2 1/2 Cups Flour

Topping
1, 10.5 oz Can Cream of Chicken (or Mushroom)
16 oz Canned Chicken
1-2 Cups Cooked Broccoli
8 oz Cheddar Cheese

Directions

1.) Add sugar and yeast to warm water. Let yeast bubble for approx. 5 minutes.

2.) Add oil and flour. Mix into dough. Roll out and let rest for 10 minutes.

3.) Spread 1, 10.5 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup on pizza crust base. Cream of Mushroom can be used as substitute. Add chicken, broccoli, and cover in shredded cheese.

4.) Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

CHICKEN HOT SAUCE BLEU CHEESE

16 oz Canned Chicken
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Bleu Cheese
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce
8 oz Mozzarella Cheese

Directions

1.) Spread bleu cheese on pizza crust base. Dose chicken in hot sauce, either in a bowl and mix until chicken is covered. Or simply spread chicken on top of bleu cheese and dose hot sauce on top of chicken. Cover in shredded cheese; mozzarella is preferably, but any cheese will do.

2.) Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

TACO PIZZA

16 oz cooked ground hamburger
15 oz Can Re-fried Beans (Optional)
4-8 oz Taco Sauce
1-2 Large Tomatoes
8 oz Cheddar Cheese
Lettuce
Sour Cream (Optional)

Directions

1.) Make pizza crust. Put taco sauce as a base. Add hamburger, tomatoes and cover in cheddar cheese.

3.) Let pizza cool for 5-10 minutes, top with lettuce and sour cream.

4.) OPTIONAL: For a vegetarian meal, re-fried beans can be swapped with hamburger, or the beans can be mixed in with the ground hamburger and spread atop the crust together.

POT-PIE PIZZA

Chicken, Turkey or Beef
10.5 - 16 oz Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Peas
Corn
Green Beans
8 oz Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese

Directions

1.) Make crust, for a thicker crust, choose a bread or dinner roll recipe. Spread gravy on pizza crust base. Spread mashed potatoes. Top with chicken or beef. Add vegetable sides such as peas, corn, or green beans. Top with cheddar or Parmesan cheese, or any cheese according to taste.

3.) Add additional gravy over pot-pie pizza slice, if desired.

REUBEN PIZZA

1/2 to 1 cup 1000 Island Dressing
10 to 15 oz can Corned Beef
16 oz Sauerkraut
8 oz Swiss Cheese

Directions

1.) Spread 1000 Island Dressing on pizza crust base. Add corned beef and sauerkraut . Top with Swiss Cheese.

Tip: For an adventurous pizza crust, try using 1/2 white and 1/2 rye flour in the mix. Add caraway seeds to crust for added flavor.

SPAGHETTI PIZZA

1 - 2 Tbsp Butter
Minced or Powdered Garlic
16 - 20 oz Spaghetti, Cooked
8 oz Tomato Sauce
Meatballs
8 oz Mozzarella or Parmesan Cheese

Directions

1.) Make pizza crust. Butter crust and sprinkle with garlic powder or minced garlic. Spread tomato sauce. Add spaghetti, meatballs and top with mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.

3.) Let cool. 5 - 10 minutes. Serve. Add additional tomato sauce to pizza slice, if desired.

BACON, LETTUCE, TOMATO PIZZA

1/2 - 1 cup Mayo
12 - 16 oz Bacon, Cooked
2 Large Tomatoes
Lettuce
8 oz Cheddar or 8 Slices American Cheese (Optional)

Directions

1.) Spread mayo on pizza crust base. Add cooked bacon and tomato. Top with cheddar.

3.) Let cool. 5 - 10 minutes. Add lettuce. Serve.

Tip: If using American Cheese, top pizza with cheese promptly after removing from oven. Residual heat will melt the cheese, nicely.

I forgot how to make the Philly-Steak pizza, but I'm sure you could develop your own. Some of the pizzas like taco pizza, spaghetti pizza and pot pie pizza are left over pizzas.

The idea behind spaghetti pizza is turning the crust into garlic bread. You throw the left over spaghetti on it with left over meatballs and make an open-face meatball sub at the same time.

When we made pot pie pizza it was because my dad wanted to take Thanksgiving leftovers and make a pot-pie, but I was being a picky kid and groaned at the idea. I don't really care much for pot-pie because it's just too much bread for me. When Dad realized my dislike was over too much bread but not the leftovers, he figured he'd make the pot-pie topless and as the wheels started turning, he turned it into pizza! And now that's the only way we eat pot-pies now.

I think we've made other pizza's but I can't remember them now.

Last edited:
POT-PIE PIZZA

Chicken, Turkey or Beef
10.5 - 16 oz Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Peas
Corn
Green Beans
8 oz Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese

Directions

1.) Make crust, for a thicker crust, choose a bread recipe. Spread gravy on pizza crust base. Spread mashed potatoes. Top with chicken or beef. Add vegetable sides such as peas, corn, or green beans. Top with cheddar or Parmesan cheese, or any cheese according to taste.

3.) Add additional gravy over pot-pie pizza slice, if desired.
I could see making this completely without a bready crust, another gluten free option, but using mashed potatoes as the first layer. Of course, this would not be edible by picking it up with your hands, but would require a fork.

I could see making this completely without a bready crust, another gluten free option, but using mashed potatoes as the first layer. Of course, this would not be edible by picking it up with your hands, but would require a fork.

The fun thing about cooking is all your own variations you can do to a recipe. That's why I like cooking more than baking. There's more freedom and versitality to cooking. Baking it very law-oriented, cause it's science and chemistry. Mess up with the ingredients and it might fall flat. If you understand the science then you can bend the rules, but you can only bend them. And I'm a rebel; breaking rules is my jam 😜 Lol.

I would guess that pizza was a creative way to use up left overs, kind of like shepherds pie. then it got more refined.

The Italian pizza is akin to the Mexican burrito. It is just a way to hold a mix of leftovers. We Americans have a habit of making things like that into a main course.

Was catching up reading gdonna's blog, and she did 2 articles this month about pizza. They are "living" in the 1940's timeline right now, and at first, she didn't find much info on pizza in the US at that time. Realized it was called tomato pie. Anyway, one of the articles she did showed how she used shelf stable toppings and rehydrated them. Looked like good pizza.

Remember these pizza kits? It was how I first had pizza. I keep meaning to look for these at the store, but I suppose I need to put it on my shopping list.

Oh my! I haven't even thought of these in a long time. I can't believe the price $14.99? Wow! It's cheaper to just make my own. In the reviews, one person says it doesn't come with the cheese anymore. WTH? So it just comes with crust, sauce and pepperoni? What a rip off. :( I've never looked before, but I wonder if there are store brand pizza kits? I'll bet there are. It would be interesting to compare prices, ingredients included in the kit, and taste.

Oh my! I haven't even thought of these in a long time. I can't believe the price $14.99? Wow! It's cheaper to just make my own. In the reviews, one person says it doesn't come with the cheese anymore. WTH? So it just comes with crust, sauce and pepperoni? What a rip off. :( I've never looked before, but I wonder if there are store brand pizza kits? I'll bet there are. It would be interesting to compare prices, ingredients included in the kit, and taste.
I remember that they came with Parmesan cheese, but I don't remember that it had mozzarella. That is such a high price. The box in the add says that cheeses are included. Still too much money for a pizza you have to make yourself.

Was catching up reading gdonna's blog, and she did 2 articles this month about pizza. They are "living" in the 1940's timeline right now, and at first, she didn't find much info on pizza in the US at that time. Realized it was called tomato pie. Anyway, one of the articles she did showed how she used shelf stable toppings and rehydrated them. Looked like good pizza.
Very interesting and with several recipes for how to make it. Diced tomatoes rubbed through a sieve was before food processors.

http://gdonna.com/cooking-from-scratch/tomato-pie-and-pizza-pie/

All this talk of pizza has got me thinking... So while shopping this morning I picked up one of those canned pizza boxes, some cheeses, and some pepperoni. I have canned some ground venison in sloppy Joe mix that might be a good topping for pizza. I will make 1 or 2 and if I approve I will increase my making inventory.

Makes me wonder, how long will those canned pizza kits last on the shelf? I need to figure out how long they will last and how many pizza's we eat in a year, just to figure out how many I would want to order.

Last year I bought one of those out outdoor pizza stoves that you can put on your grill. I haven't used it yet.....still in the box. This spring, I also bought a bunch of charcoal. I have the LTS pizza kits, so hopefully they'll be good....I haven't tried those either. As long as I have eggs and moz cheese, I'll keep making the keto pizza b/c I usually have ham in the freezer and pepperoni on hand and can just add canned or fresh veges.

When it's hot out, having that option to make pizza outside on the grill would be nice. I might have to give that a try this summer. I'll give an update when I do. Pizza is a comfort food for us that I would not want to give up!

Pizza, once a week, flour for a year: $12.

Karleen (in the video) talks about Parmesan cheese as a cheese that you can use alone on pizza. Her husband, Jonathon, doesn't eat dairy, so he makes his pizza without cheese. There are options, we just have to get creative and think outside the box. I like mozzarella on pizza, but in a previous comment, I remember that those boxed pizza kits that I used back in the 1960's came with parmesan, and since they were on the store shelves, no mozzarella. I wonder what the shelf life truly is for parmesan? It is shelf stable and doesn't need to be refrigerated. I do know people who keep it in the fridge.
She also keeps pepperoni in the fridge. I keep mine in the freezer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back