Prepping for Pizza!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I bought one of those out outdoor pizza stoves that you can put on your grill. I haven't used it yet.....still in the box.
I know someone who has one of those expensive Ooni pizza ovens, probably different than yours. I think it cooks a pizza in about 2 minutes. That would be great for restaurants. I see that they are priced from $348 to $799, depending on which of the 4 models you get. I don't know why, but this couple has two of them. Maybe they decided to upgrade.

https://www.bbqguys.com/outdoor-piz...pmaImJr6YJrzYuOQEhqu9FLC06lTUvfhoCjIsQAvD_BwE

All this pizza talk, does anyone make a pizza dough kit, or have a shelf stable mix they like? I am thinking, if I have no freezer space what can I have ready to go, even a mix it today, eat it tomorrow type of thing that you could store in a canning jar. Anyway, it may be a stupid thought (I'm known for those), but I think it would go in the way of quick meals.....

FYI if you have/use a mix please share info on it...

All this pizza talk, does anyone make a pizza dough kit, or have a shelf stable mix they like? I am thinking, if I have no freezer space what can I have ready to go, even a mix it today, eat it tomorrow type of thing that you could store in a canning jar. Anyway, it may be a stupid thought (I'm known for those), but I think it would go in the way of quick meals.....

FYI if you have/use a mix please share info on it...
A pizza dough kit is an great idea. The challenge is that pizza dough is typically made with yeast. I have seen recipes for pizza dough made without yeast, but yeast dough is sturdier for pizza.
This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but I keep my yeast in the freezer.

I do know that you can make your pizza dough up to 2 weeks in advance and keep it in the fridge, tightly covered. Someone who likes to eat a lot of pizza, could make up a batch of dough and use some of it as desired. Dough can also be frozen for up to 3 weeks according to this: Make-Ahead Pizza Dough - Recipe - FineCooking They were talking about freezing it in a ball and taking it out to thaw before you want to use it.

A person could make up a pizza crust and freeze that in advance. Pizza, being flat, takes up relatively little space.

This is a very different kind of pizza, Taco Bell Mexican pizza. Taco Bell removed it from their menu a year or two ago and then recently added it back to their menu. They did not anticipate the demand for it. I believe it sold out quickly and they plan to add it back as a regular menu item when they can get stocked up again.

This thread, being about prepping for pizza, has me wondering about prepping for this. I do have friends who make their own tortillas. The rest of the ingredients could be stored, except the tomato.
I haven't had good luck freezing cheese, but it could work. Or dehydrated cheese?

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/copycat-taco-bell-mexican-pizza
Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza

Total: 20 mins
Active: 15 mins
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 pizza)
Ingredients
  • ⅓ cup masa corn flour, optional
  • 12 (6-in.) thin flour tortillas
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • ½ cup taco sauce (such as Ortega taco sauce)
  • ¼ cup red enchilada sauce
  • ¾ cup pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • ¾ cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 ¼ cups refried beans, heated through
  • ¾ cup cooked ground beef seasoned with Taco Bell taco seasoning mix
  • ½ cup sliced black olives
  • ½ cup finely diced tomato
Directions
  • Step 1
    Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium. If using corn flour, lightly dredge 1 tortilla at a time in corn flour, and dust off any excess.
  • Step 2
    Add 1/2 teaspoon of the oil to skillet, and add a tortilla; cook, turning often, until lightly golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Set aside on metal rack or paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
  • Step 3
    Stir together taco sauce and enchilada sauce in a small bowl; set aside. Combine cheeses in another bowl; set aside.
  • Step 4
    Preheat oven to broil. Spread about 3 tablespoons beans on 1 tortilla; add about 2 tablespoons taco meat. Top with a second tortilla; spread 2 tablespoons sauce mixture evenly over top tortilla, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the cheese. Top with 1 tablespoon each of tomatoes and olives. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat building process with remaining ingredients to make 6 pizzas. Place baking sheet in center of oven, and broil 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand 3 minutes before cutting into quarters.

I guess you could mix up the measured dry ingredients and then keep that frozen until it was time to add in the liquids, I could see keeping a pint or half pint of dry ingredients in the freezer and then have standard liquid ingredients to be added at the appropriate time. The videos I have seen showed them activating the yeast with warm water first then adding the other stuff.... I would love to work this one out.

We are still trying to figure out where to put a small freezer to improve storage space and improve logistics, but there are lots of issues with where to put it.

@UrbanHunter , relative to your question from a couple months ago, there is this post from Food Storage Moms, about making up dough kits in jars.

https://www.foodstoragemoms.com/frugal-way-make-pizza-dough-minutes/

Make Pizza Dough In Minutes​

This is my frugal way to make pizza dough in minutes, literally. This is an updated post because it has been one of the most popular articles I have written. I decided I would make my favorite pizza dough recipe into what I call a “jar recipe” that I could give to my neighbors. This is a recipe that my daughter Heidi gave me. I also wanted to make some jars of the recipe ahead of time for use from my pantry. I live about 8-10 miles from the nearest town so if I want pizza I have to drive to get one to serve for a late dinner. So here is an alternate for all of us to try, along with FREE printable tags below to go with the jars.
Do you sometimes think I would love to make pizza but, I have to drag the flour container out, the yeast, salt, sugar, oil and then start adding the water. Blah, blah, blah. So, I thought I to myself, I am going to fill some quart jars with the dry ingredients and attach a tag with the instructions. If I ever want to make pizza, all I have to do is grab a bowl and dump the jar with the dry ingredients into it, and add the specified oil and water, mix, knead and roll out. Bim, bam, boom I have pizza dough.

When my daughters were little we would make individual pizzas for the kids that came to their birthday parties. What child doesn’t love making their own pizza? I also don’t like to stand in line waiting for a pizza. I call myself a stay at home mom. No, I do not have any children at home, but I love to cook from scratch. When I go see my daughters we always eat in. I don’t like to eat out because it’s too expensive. When they come here, we eat in. Everyone pitches in with the cooking, chopping, and baking. I can’t wait to make these pizzas when I see family again.

Pizza Dough Cooked In The Barbecue:​

Now keep in mind the pizza is not the perfect circle you may see at the restaurants, but this recipe is the best I have ever tasted. This was the first time I used my Lodge pizza pan. I was determined to see if I had a disaster where I live that I could make moist, cheesy pizza on my barbecue. It works great and I love it! I consider myself a multi-tasker, and the shape of my pizza below is proof that sometimes you need to take tasks one at a time. I was trying to heat the pizza pan on the barbecue, put mozzarella cheese, sauce, and pepperoni in bowls and rolling out the dough at the same time so I could take a picture for my readers. Next time I will not be photographing when I make this recipe!

I must confess, I buy the small 14 ounce Ragu pizza sauce jars. You only need 1/2 of the sauce per recipe, so I freeze the other half of the sauce for another day. Now you can also make tomato paste, water, a few Italian spices and you have pizza sauce from scratch. Tomato sauce works just as well but tends to be too runny for me.

Here’s the deal, you could use your freeze dried mozzarella cheese hydrated with water and drain it. I used a bag of grated mozzarella cheese and topped it off with pepperoni as you can see above. Next time I want to use some veggies from the garden. Maybe bell peppers, basil, onions, and tomatoes. Here’s the Lodge pizza pan I have: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch
ir

Please note I did not let the pizza dough rise:​

I did, however, heat the Lodge pizza griddle on my barbecue so it was really hot 400-450 degrees or so. Barbecues are not the best at holding the temperature exactly where you want it. I placed the dough on the hot griddle and spread the sauce all over it, cheese, etc. Then I closed the barbecue lid and turned the heat down to low to try and keep it at 375 degrees.

Pizza Dough Toppings:​

1. pizza sauce
2. mozzarella cheese is my favorite on all pizza types
3. chopped onions
4. bell peppers green, red, and yellow
5. mushrooms
6. olives, black or green
7. yellow hot and sweet peppers
8. sausage
9. ham and pineapple
10. barbecue sauce, shredded cooked chicken, sliced red onions
11. bacon
12. taco pizza, hamburger, cheese, tomatoes, and salsa

Pizza Dough In A Jar Recipe​

Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Total Time 35 mins

Place the first four ingredients in the jars:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons SAF instant yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
Please add these to the ingredients in the jar into a bowl with:
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1-1/4 cups warm water
Instructions
  1. Mix by hand and roll out the dough and bake on a greased large pizza pan at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. This recipe fills one QUART jar and makes one large pizza. My pizza pan is 14 inches in diameter. You could also make two smaller pizzas instead of one large. Who loves to make pizza?

ir
FREE printable Pizza Dough In A Jar Recipe Tags: PIZZA DOUGH IN A JAR RECIPE

I usually fill about three QUART jars of the dry pizza dough mix then add some tags to the jars. I measure the ingredients and put them in each jar. I hope you try to make some pizza dough from scratch and maybe you’ll share a jar with a friend. You can make pizza in less time than a pizza delivery company can deliver it! Plus, you will know what ingredients YOU put in it. Of course, you can cook your pizza dough and the finished product on your kitchen stove, but I wanted to show my readers that your BBQ can be used for things like pizza in an emergency when kitchen cooking isn’t an option. Gotta love it!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, back in the 50's and early 60's, Mom would buy Chef Boyardee pizza kits that came in a cardboard box.
I used to buy the pizza rounds that came in a plastic bag at the grocery store, Michalena's I think.
Then make veggie pizzas with broccoli and more. Lots of cheese. Ragu spaghetti sauce.
By the time I was done, it cost more than one at the mom and pop pizza place in town.

When I was a kid, back in the 50's and early 60's, Mom would buy Chef Boyardee pizza kits that came in a cardboard box.
I used to buy the pizza rounds that came in a plastic bag at the grocery store, Michalena's I think.
Then make veggie pizzas with broccoli and more. Lots of cheese. Ragu spaghetti sauce.
By the time I was done, it cost more than one at the mom and pop pizza place in town.
The first pizzas that I ate were from the Chef Boyardee pizza kits, in the 1960's. The cheese was Parmesan, no mozzarella. So part of prepping for pizza for me includes Parmesan cheese.

Dollar Tree sells a small jar of pizza sauce that is about the right amount for making a pizza, and therefore, a great size jar to store.

I've been thinking about pizza sauce from tomato powder, as suggested by @Amish Heart . I searched and found this recipe for pizza sauce from tomato powder. They are using Thrive tomato powder, but I would think any tomato powder would work. I'm thinking of the Wendy DeWitt style of prepping for pizza. I haven't done the math to see what a year's prep would take for all of these things, pizza every week or every two weeks.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/food-storage-styles.16601/page-3#post-489803
http://providentlyprepared.com/how-to-make-homemade-pizza-sauce-from-powdered-tomatoes/

Ingredients​

• 1/4 cup Thrive Tomato Powder
  • 3/4 cup of warm water
  • 1/2 TBSP Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 TSP garlic salt
  • 1/4 TSP white pepper

Preparation​

Mix the warm water into the tomato powder. Stir until it’s nice and smooth.

Since there’s nothing added to the tomato powder, you can season this anyway you like. I like to stir in 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic salt, and 1/4 tsp white pepper.

Someone posted this is another group. It doesn't use yeast, it uses baking powder for leavening.

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Put these 3 ingredients into a zippy bag and label it Pizza Dough.

On the front on the bag I always write the following information:
Add: 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (roughly) water
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Sauce & Toppings

Bake in 400F oven for 15-17 minutes.
This makes about 1-12" pizza crust or 2-8" pizzas. I've rolled it to a thin crust and make 3 personal pan size pizzas.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever eaten a corn bread crust pizza? you have to keep it personal pan sized like in a pie pan or it can be messy.

Has anyone ever eaten a corn bread crust pizza? you have to keep it personal pan sized like in a pie pan or it can be messy.
We do a "Mexican Pizza" on corn tostadas pretty often. Not exactly the same, but related.

We have a kind of "hillbilly pizza" We cut a pone of corn bread in half. cover it in stewed tomatoes and spicy chow chow, stewed deer meat, mushrooms and goat cheese, bake it until the cheese melts.

I like simplicity , I make everything myself but the yeast and parmigiano reggiano 2 yr. old... I don't like a greasy pizza with a bunch of stuff on it .
iJkOiUR.jpg

I make pizza once a week most of the time but my recipe is probably pretty boring. Regular yeast dough ( just water, yeast, a little salt, a little olive oil and flour) , black olives, thick sliced pepperoni, hot banana pepper rings, green peppers, home canned tomato sauce , mozzarella and parmesan cheese . I freeze cheese and pepperoni so we don't run out of pizza stuff
other option we like is ham and pineapple
forgot seasoning: garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, hot pepper flakes

The first pizzas that I ate were from the Chef Boyardee pizza kits, in the 1960's. The cheese was Parmesan, no mozzarella. So part of prepping for pizza for me includes Parmesan cheese.

Dollar Tree sells a small jar of pizza sauce that is about the right amount for making a pizza, and therefore, a great size jar to store.
Pizza kit.JPG

@Weedygarden as a kid back in the day seeing that little skinny can of sauce on counter you knew pizza was on the way and everything was right in the world !

My grandmother, the one who I mostly lived with after my mother died, called pizza junk food. I think I was either a sophmore or a junior in h.s. when she went into the hospital for 3 weeks for a hip replacement. Younger sister and I were the only ones home while she was there. No worries, we were independent and responsible and well behaved. We bought one of these pizza kits so we could make and eat pizza while she was in the hospital. I'll never forget it. It was the first time I had had pizza.

My grandmother, the one who I mostly lived with after my mother died, called pizza junk food. I think I was either a sophmore or a junior in h.s. when she went into the hospital for 3 weeks for a hip replacement. Younger sister and I were the only ones home while she was there. No worries, we were independent and responsible and well behaved. We bought one of these pizza kits so we could make and eat pizza while she was in the hospital. I'll never forget it. It was the first time I had had pizza.
when granny is away the mice will play !!

@Weedygarden i bet you rebels sat up late and watched the late movie that use to come on tv.
Not when Grandma was gone. In South Dakota, television was very limited. Since my dad was a television sales and service person, we probably had the best television while Mom was still alive, even if it was a black and white screen. We did have an antenna pole on the side of the house, and sometimes we would have to go out and turn it a little while someone inside let us know when the signal was back. We only had one channel for many years, and then sometime, maybe in the mid 1960's, we got another channel. We had to do with what we could. I remember watching the Twilight Zone with my younger brother, maybe around 1965, and it came on after the 10:00 news.

Yes, and I was in strong disagreement that pizza was junk food. It represents all of the 4 food groups, if made right: bread, vegetables, dairy, and meat if you add some.
i was fussed at over cake for breakfast. had a big slice of it and forking it down. i just looked at all of them and said pancakes are the same thing only done in pan instead of oven...PAN-CAKE...icing on cake instead of dumping syrup on it.i mean people put 3 pancakes on plate thats same as as a 3 layer cake....roflmao

i was fussed at over cake for breakfast. had a big slice of it and forking it down. i just looked at all of them and said pancakes are the same thing only done in pan instead of oven...PAN-CAKE...icing on cake instead of dumping syrup on it.i mean people put 3 pancakes on plate thats same as as a 3 layer cake....roflmao
I'm with you. I've had cake, pie, and more for breakfast. Donuts are no better!

Not when Grandma was gone. In South Dakota, television was very limited. Since my dad was a television sales and service person, we probably had the best television while Mom was still alive, even if it was a black and white screen. We did have an antenna pole on the side of the house, and sometimes we would have to go out and turn it a little while someone inside let us know when the signal was back. We only had one channel for many years, and then sometime, maybe in the mid 1960's, we got another channel. We had to do with what we could. I remember watching the Twilight Zone with my younger brother, maybe around 1965, and it came on after the 10:00 news.

i remember when my grandfather splurged and bought a moving outside antenna. it had a big white control knob and it made this big clicking noise when turned. the big antenna had a little motor under it that turned it. we had 2 channels and sometimes a 3rd.he ordered it from sears catalog. we ordered stuff from sears all the time.

I'm with you. I've had cake, pie, and more for breakfast. Donuts are no better!
i wont hardly even eat stuff like that anymore as an adult,zero cravings for it.

Latest posts

Back