Prepping for Pizza!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my first early 60's
1674818297692.png

I will probably be eflogged for saying this but pizza is not one of my favorite foods. I make it homemade and use tomato pesto and it’s better, but a couple times a year is more than enough.
I do like the idea of prepping for certain foods though.
While I love pizza, I rarely eat it. I may eat it a couple times a year. Daughter was part of an event in February and they had pizza. That was the first time I'd eaten it in months, and who knows when the next time will be?

I do know that during the pandemic, lots of frozen pizzas were consumed. The frozen pizza section at the grocery store was empty for a long time. I think you had to be there when they got a delivery to get it. I'd bet that some people mostly lived on pizza, because much of the world (U.S.) doesn't really cook anymore. It is takeout, drive through, and delivery.

What I do like is having a thread like this that when I find ideas, such as that cob oven, that I can come and post it here and build on the ideas and knowledge. I do like the idea of planning for one kind of meal, the Wendy DeWitt plan. Pizza one time a week? Put together pizza ingredients for 26 meals or 52 meals for each year, depending on how many times you would want to eat pizza. Flour, yeast, salt, oil, sauce, toppings, cheese.

NO DOUGH PIZZA

Gluten Free, Low Carb, Diabetic Friendly!!!!!!
For when you absolutely want pizza but not all the carbs!!!!!!!

Crust
1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Topping
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly spay a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined. Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown. Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust. Top with cheese and toppings. Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Making pizza for a large group of people,? This would be one recipe!

The School Pizza Recipe

Crust:

2-2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup powdered milk
2 T sugar
1 package quick rise yeast
1 tsp salt
1-2/3 cup warm water (110-115)
2 T vegetable oil

Topping:

1/2 lb Italian sausage
1/2 lb ground chuck
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 (8oz) block mozzarella cheese

Sauce (I make the day before):

1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 t salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 T dried oregano
1/2 T dried basil
1/2 t dried rosemary

Crust:

Preheat oven to 475.
Spray 18 x 13 sheet pan with Pam and lay parchment paper down.
Add flour, powered milk, sugar, yeast, and salt to a large bowl. Whisk to blend.
Add oil to warm water. Pour into flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until batter forms. Don’t worry about lumps - you just want no dry spots.
Spread dough onto sheet pan with fingertips until even. If the dough doesn’t want to cooperate then let it rest for 5 min and try again.
Bake just the crust for 8-10 min. Remove from oven and set aside.

filling:
Brown meats (add salt and pepper) until it resembles crumbles. Drain, set aside.

Get out sauce.
To partially baked crust assemble:
Spread sauce all over crust.
Sprinkle meats.
Sprinkle cheese.
Bake at 475 for 8-10 min. Until cheese starts to brown.
Let stand 5 min, cut into slices and serve.

We don't have Shamrock, that I know of, only Shamrock gas stations.
@Amish Heart, Well, we do have Shamrock! You wrote earlier that you shop at Shamrock.

I found out a young woman I know and her husband are preppers and get some of their preps from Shamrock.
One time when I was there, I saw that they had Andouille sausage, but I couldn't get it at the time. It was something like 25 pounds and my thought was that I could can it. Just not able to get it that day.

We had Shamrock in New Mexico. So here I've had to shop a bit differently, haven't seen a restaurant supply store. But there are interesting things brought into our local area in bulk, because it's what the amish typically use. Like the wheat berries, flour, and seasonal fruit and veg. Grapes and apples in bushel boxes come in next. Just finished peaches and green beans and pears.

Did you know about making pizza dough in advance and keeping it in the fridge?

Anyone ever work in a pizza joint? I never have, but I have heard that pizza dough can be made up at least 24 hours in advance and kept in the fridge. It is likely how pizza places make pizza dough and just keep it in the fridge until it gets used.

There is another pizza dough recipe in this link.

https://www.plainchicken.com/make-a...least 24 hours,personal pizzas if you prefer.

Notes:​

• It’s best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance, and 3 or 4 days is even better.
  • You can shape the dough into any shape you prefer – circle, square, oblong.
  • This recipe will make one 14-inch thin crust pizza. You can cut the dough in half and make two personal pizzas if you prefer.
  • Feel free to double the recipe if you want to make two pizzas.
  • Here is our recipe for Homemade Pizza Sauce: Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce - Plain Chicken
  • Can pizza dough be frozen? Yes! You can freeze it immediately after baking or after it has been in the refrigerator 24 hours. The dough can be frozen for up to three months and just needs to be thawed in the fridge overnight before you use it.

Can't remember if I replied to this thread or not

Here is my pizza , make it every week,

dough : 1 cup water, 1 tsp yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp oil, enough flour to make dough
sauce: homemade and canned
cheese, if we have a milk goat and she is in production and I have enough milk, I can make really good goat milk mozerealla
plus parmesan out of a can from store
toppings : thick pepperoni , I freeze it and take out what I need, canned hot peppers in a jar, canned black olives, and fresh or frozen chopped green pepper
seasoning: Italian, lots of garlic, basil, oregano

This may be a pizza oven, but it could potentially be used for baking bread and other things.

we actually built one of those when we first moved here, and only used it a few times. Have real wood stoves that work better. What happened to it is some large bees dug holes into it and eventually we removed it. It never worked all that great, but we had fun building it

Hillbilly pizza:
Two methods here, make 2 thin crust pones of cornbread or one thick one cut like you were going to make a sandwich.

In a kettle, stew a mixture of deer meat (or beef), onions, bell peppers, garlic and mushrooms. drain dry and add half the remaining half in your favorite pizza sauce
and spoon the mix over the bread, cover it in goat cheese and bake 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. You're going to have to feel out the recipe from here as what I think is great, you might think sucks. Everyone has "tweaks" like more basil, sage, and pepper or a mix of cheeses.

This was the first "pizza" I ever ate.
RIP Mom. :)

The free wood stove pizza stone:
Go to the neighborhood marble cabinet top store and get two hunks of BLACK marble about the same size, slightly larger than a large pizza. Most places will give you the scraps to get them out of their way. they make for great pet tombstones too! but back to topic:
Place one piece shiny side up near the back of your wood burner.
Place a red brick on each corner and put the other piece on top. before each use, remove the top and hit the stone with your favorite cooking spray. keep some welding gauntlets and a pair of heavy spatulas handy to remove your pie or make a paddle out of 1/2" outdoor plywood and sand a 60 degree angle on the front.

https://savorysweetandsatisfying.blogspot.com/2019/02/crazy-crust-pizza.html?m=1

Crazy Crust Pizza​

Crazy Crust Pizza: Savory Sweet and Satisfying

I am shocked by this pizza crust. I thought there was no way it was going to work and I have no idea how it works, but it does work and it tastes great.

This pizza crust is unlike any other pizza crust I have ever made and I have made my fair share of pizza crusts. It requires no kneading of dough, no rise time, no yeast and no rolling out the dough. In fact, because of all that, this really isn't a dough, it's a batter. You literally pour this liquid pizza crust batter into a greased pan. Then you add your toppings, like pepperoni and sausage. After it cooks you then add the pizza sauce and cheese and cook it a little longer to melt the cheese.

Although this pizza is made in a very unconventional way, it tastes delicious and is ready from start to finish in about 40 minutes or less. The crust is a thin and crunchy crust, which is my preferred pizza crust. But if you prefer a thicker and chewy crust than this recipe is not for you. But for those of you that enjoy a thin crust pizza, give this crazy crust a try.
Crazy Crust Pizza
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 pound Italian sausage, cooked
  • pepperoni slices
  • 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Spray a 15x10 inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, Italian seasoning, black pepper, eggs and milk.
  3. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and tilt the baking sheet to move the batter around until the whole baking sheet is covered.
  4. Top the batter with the sausage and desired amount of pepperoni.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread the pizza sauce evenly over the pizza, then evenly sprinkle with the cheese.
  7. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
Enjoy!!!

Latest posts

Back