Preps For Living In Your Car

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2020/02/04/car-preps/

Preps For Living In Your Car
Posted on February 4, 2020 by Guest Author
Useful Tips To Make Living In Your Car Easier

by Ali Ball

Over the last year, the number of Americans living in their vehicles has jumped by a whopping 46%, according to CBS News.

While living out of your car is not an ideal situation by anyone’s standards, it may be one of the very few viable options left following a disaster of epic proportions.

Depending on the nature of the catastrophe, many building structures can be rendered unsafe to live in, or housing may simply be scarce due to mass forced migration. Your trusted mode of transport can, in fact, double quite nicely as a secure living space if you follow a few basic guidelines to make it as safe and comfortable as possible.

It’s about comfort, not speed
If you’re in a situation where you need to choose between your two-seater convertible or your trusted SUV, the SUV should win hands-down. Ideally, you want a car that is both fast and spacious, but if you have to choose between the two, comfort should be your top priority.

When living in your car, every inch of space becomes extremely valuable. The added cup holders, hidden shelves and extra-large cargo areas of a car can be heaven-sent when you need space to not only sleep, but store your essentials in as well.

The bigger your vehicle, the more people can seek shelter in it. If you fold down the back seats in most SUVs and station wagons, you will typically be left with enough space for two adults and a child to sleep in.

image.png

Try to give your car a homely touch
If you’re going to live in your car, giving it a homely touch will make the transition a lot easier. Although it will be impossible to pack up all your family memorabilia when leaving your home, it’s possible to take along a few small yet significant pieces.

Photos are always a good way to spruce up a barren space, as are things like a comfortable quilt and your favorite air freshener. If you have children with you, allowing them to take their pillows with them and also pick a beloved toy can go a long way to keep them calm during stressful situations.

Make sure you pack the essentials
While living in your car will essentially provide you with a roof over your head, you will still need to pack a number of things to ensure your comfort and well-being. If you are well-prepared and have a couple of Bug Out Bags at home, you definitely need to pack one or two as they contain all the essentials, such as a sleeping bag, compass, flashlight and multitool needed for survival.

You also need to take along a few changes of clothing if possible, as well as basic toiletries, medication and enough non-perishable foods for a few days. Although they may not boost your chances of survival, remember to bring along a few books or magazines as well to help pass the time and keep your mind occupied.

Keep it clean

Keeping your car free of clutter can help ward off the anxiety and depression which is bound to become more prevalent after an epic disaster. According to research, being in a dirty, untidy environment can be detrimental to your mental health.

Despite your circumstances, it is pivotal to clean your car on a daily basis, just like you would your home. The more people living in your car, the harder it will naturally become to keep clean.

It is important that everyone is aware of their responsibilities and that everyone does their part to keep the collective living quarters clean and tidy. Regardless of what has happened in the world, personal hygiene should remain a top priority.

Conclusion
Having a car to temporarily live in after a disaster can be very useful. It may not be the largest and most comfortable accommodation you have ever had, but it will provide you and your loved ones with both a mode of transport and a roof over your heads.

Biggest problem is using the rest room, we carry chemicals for our potty in case we have to use it like long trips.
Its against the law to empty it unless its at a campground dump station. You have to pay or some truck stops stations have dump stations.

There are folks that don't carry TP and a shovel in their car? I miss my truck, it had a cap, and my DW bought me a kit with an air mattress, sheets and such so I could have a nice nap if I wanted while on fishing trips.

The present vehicle is a Subaru, I have a fly set up to deploy over the tailgate , added apace and makes it a little nicer in a camping/emergency situation.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to live in a car. But I here it's done all the time in California

We couldn't live in a car now or it would be very hard but if we had to guess we could take it in a van if we had to in shtf situation.

I could live in my car if I was alone. More than one person would make it very difficult, and uncomfortable. a lot depends on the car, and how much room you have. " The bigger your vehicle, the more people can seek shelter in it " Good luck with that. You won't last five minutes, and you will want to kill each other.

Try to give your car a homely touch. The author repeated this twice. Seriously? I believe the term is homey as in comfortable, cozy. Homely means unattractive. Am I being overly critical here? If your English is poor I have a difficult time taking you seriously.

Two things I don't see addressed are "facilities" which has already been mentioned; and extreme weather. You won't last long in a car in extreme heat, and you better have a way to keep warm in severe cold. Could you live in your car? I guess so, but it would be a last resort.

I saw something recently that said currently in America, there are 500,000 people who are living in their cars. That might include vans and RVs, I don't know. Many of them are senior citizens who somehow lost their ability financially to live in a home or apartment due to divorce, medical expenses, poor planning for retirement.

Latest posts

Back