Preserving chips and other bachelor tricks.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can wet a wash cloth and freeze it in a Ziploc bag for a cold compress too.

On the subject, remember beer coozies?
Buy two cheapo coozies at the truck stop or dollar store and a stainless steel 16 oz water bottle, total cost maybe 8 bucks,
pop the bottom out of one of the coozies and slip it over your bottle, add a bit of rubber cement and slip the other one on.
Nice, cheap thermos bottle you can beat the crap out of! and you won't touch a Stanley or Yeti for anywhere near that price!

On the subject of keeping stuff cool, you can buy used insulated water jugs for cheap at flea markets, guess what? they make for
great coolers to keep your milk, eggs and meat in if you go shopping in the summer but have other errands to do too. I keep a
couple in my ride at all times and they're easier to lug in that an armload of flimsy bags, OH and keep a milk crate or plastic tote in
there too, pile it full of dry goods, grab it and go! I despise getting home to find something rolled over on my buns and squashed
them flat! or worse yet, crushed a tub of something icky like chicken livers and now everything is covered in goo!

Last edited:
Bachelor life hack #762
the two pan pot pie
Step one, line a pie pan with your favorite pie crust and lightly brown it, I use biscuits.

In a small sauce pan combine:
One can of drained chicken.
1 small can of drained mushrooms.
1 small can of drained mixed vegetables.
1 can of cream of chicken soup.
Dust lightly with chicken seasoning and black pepper.
Simmer until it bubbles and slowly stir in potato flakes until you can almost stand a spoon in it, but not quite.
Spoon it into the crust, spray lightly with buttery Pam, cover with a layer of biscuit dough and bake until done.
So simple a man could do it!

Another variation is to simmer a can of your favorite beef stew, add the potato flakes the same way,
pan it, bake it, yum! and if you do it cobbler style, you fed the family and maybe have 6 plates to clean up.

The ten manly arts in no real order:
Sewing your own stuff up!. I have socks that I've worn until the elastic fails.

Maintaining your stuff, be it cleaning your gun, sharpening a knife, or wrenching up your ride, if you own it, you'll eventually need to fix it.

Killing stuff efficiently. be it a bear or some thug after your family or stuff, you got to with little hesitation when you have to.

Bringing home dinner. you better, you'll starve!

Cooking dinner and doing it well.

Mental exercise. Lets face it, outsmarting your game or the competition is how we evolve.

Taking care of your mate. Treating them like a love doll or punching bag is for neanderthals, inbreeds, and morons.

Choosing a mate. I kind of suck at this one, but get someone who you enjoy being with, not just tolerate, and don't marry just because she's hot, that won't last and its stupid.

Taking care of the kids. there is a school of thought you shouldn't even be near them until they can form coherent speech and walk upright. Worked for me and my kid is sort of OK, I never knew he existed until he was 20.

Dressing for the occasion. don't wear a hoodie to a funeral and don't wear a tux to slop the hogs.

Funny thing I discovered...
Deer are afraid of human hair smell! So next time you give yourself a trim, sprinkle it in the garden.

Funny thing I discovered...
Deer are afraid of human hair smell! So next time you give yourself a trim, sprinkle it in the garden.
Save the hair, sprinkle it in the garden after the freezer is full.

Cottage cheese and sour cream tubs are poor man's Tupperware.
--- ---
Always use a Cool Whip container in the micro wave... That way when it gets the red tomato stain around the center, you can chuck it out and not worry about it..

Save your grease in a gallon jug, melt it down and filter it through coarse cloth, it has multiple uses.
--- ---
Are you talking kitchen grease... or tractor barn grease.... ?? ?? In the tractor shed, a small container of grease from the end of a grease gun that is always present when you go to close the handle of the grease gun is handy to dip a finger in for a small job application... This saving having to pump the grease gun one more time...

Kitchen and garage grease is NOT interchangeable

In the kitchen....... NEVER..... put left overs into a refrigerator container of any kind UNLESS you have the exact lid to fit that container in your hand... Otherwise you will dirty 2 containers... The one without a lid and the one with a lid...

Cottage cheese and sour cream tubs are poor man's Tupperware.
--- ---
Always use a Cool Whip container in the micro wave... That way when it gets the red tomato stain around the center, you can chuck it out and not worry about it..

Kitchen and garage grease is NOT interchangeable
I store most leftovers in glass containers and never microwave in anything but glass. Eliminates and food stains and melting plastic in my food.

That last sentence in your post is profound. I’m going to have to contemplate that for a while. 🤔

Crisco was originally used to lubricate the drive shafts of submarines in WW2 because it doesn't break down under heat.
Now imagine it sitting in your guts.....for decades.

More crazy fun facts from yer crazy unkle Mags!

Back