preserving eggs with lime water solution?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooch

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ok..So Ive been checking out some articles and videos on this method and it seems to be a method with the best results.
I'm going to try it and use them this winter.
Has anyone ever done this?? Another name for this way of preserving eggs is waterglassing.
If you never heard of it...
It basically is a solution of using hydrated lime powder and mix it in water using a 1 oz lime to 1 quart well, distilled or spring water.
Only UNWASHED Clean farm fresh eggs can be used, No poop on them. Store in a food safe bucket in a cool dark closet with a lid. Make sure to not let solution evaporate over time, refill as necessary.
I found some youtube vids on it as well as follow up ones after the eggs have been in the solution and the folks were fairly convinced it is a sound way to keep eggs. Back in the 1800's this method was apparently utilized and still today it seems to be a cost effective method.
I just bought a 50 bag for 11 bucks.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has done this and otherwise any info :)

Ok..So Ive been checking out some articles and videos on this method and it seems to be a method with the best results.
I'm going to try it and use them this winter.
Has anyone ever done this?? Another name for this way of preserving eggs is waterglassing.
If you never heard of it...
It basically is a solution of using hydrated lime powder and mix it in water using a 1 oz lime to 1 quart well, distilled or spring water.
Only UNWASHED Clean farm fresh eggs can be used, No poop on them. Store in a food safe bucket in a cool dark closet with a lid. Make sure to not let solution evaporate over time, refill as necessary.
I found some youtube vids on it as well as follow up ones after the eggs have been in the solution and the folks were fairly convinced it is a sound way to keep eggs. Back in the 1800's this method was apparently utilized and still today it seems to be a cost effective method.
I just bought a 50 bag for 11 bucks.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has done this and otherwise any info :)
Haven't tried it , but was also thinking about trying. Think I will start mine this weekend.

It is something I have been wanting to do too. I have an extra refrigerator that I keep extra eggs in right now and have also been dehydrating to make powder to use in baking when the girls are not producing much. I guess to me, it just makes sense to preserve in a way that won't use electricity. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I forgot for a moment ,I can't do this with the eggs right now. Everything I've read and watched says to use fresh eggs and I don;t have any. A coyote killed my 6 laying hens. Hoping to get some more ,but I just haven't had time; will be working on that asap.

I forgot for a moment ,I can't do this with the eggs right now. Everything I've read and watched says to use fresh eggs and I don;t have any. A coyote killed my 6 laying hens. Hoping to get some more ,but I just haven't had time; will be working on that asap.
yep..you have to use fresh unwashed eggs, so no store bought ones will work or poopey eggs that were washed. bummer about your hens. we had a coyote last year in the hood that devoured flocks of neighbors hens and the residing roosters. My hens were the last group mainly because I keep them in the coop when I'm working and only out when I'm home. It was so bold to hang out and watch me just out of my guns range. But..as it happened the next day it no one had to worry bout that coyote anymore...

no one has to worry about that one either. that critter dug under the fence. hubby put a 3 foot wide piece of old tin under the ground to keep that from happening. it didn't stop that one.

Just a update, I cooked up some of the eggs I lime watered. Aside from the yoke not staying intact upon release from the eggs and the whites texture were cooking up a tad.. different. otherwise, No funny smell, same great taste and Im still alive after eating them...
Im thinking its a go...All Ive done since I put them in the solution was to make sure the water solution wasn't evorating. I noticed a crust over the top of the water formed too..maybe that helped preserve them.

Back