Preventing illness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Here is another little tip that has worked for me for decades.

Learn the signs your body gives you. I can tell when I am coming down with something. That day and for 3-4 days after I take 2-3 aspirin in the morning and just before bed. This works to keep the fever down so your immune system can concentrate on fighting the illness.

Kind of like knocking it on its keester before the fight starts.

This usually happens once maybe twice a year for me. About once every 5-10 years there comes along a bug that kicks back and knocks me down for 2-3 days.

If you stay away from people for the most part you will be good. In other words dont hang out in the truckers lounge. (I drive truck)

I also don't use antibacterial anything. I am not going tto create a super bug in my environment. One strong bug will not harm you but if you kill all the others and only the strong can reproduce, now you have millions attacking you

When my wife starts to feel even a little bit like she is getting a cold, she starts consuming lots of Vitamin C and Zinc. Then she start drinkings lots green tea with ginseng. Seems to real help her.

One of the best things you can do to prevent illness is to wash your hands. Just regular ole' soap and water will do the trick. Also you should concentrate on not touching your eyes, mouth, nose, or the facial area in general. Keeping your hands away from your face is not an easy task for many people.

For me, if I feel a scratchy throat coming on, I consume hot green tea, oranges, nuts, veges, etc. I also take some extra magnesium. But probably the most important thing is to increase water intake and make sure the air is not too dry. I am struggling this time of year to get my home humidity levels to 40%. It's been really cold lately and those temps just zap the air of any humidity. Keeping your body and mucous membranes moist is tough if the air you are breathing is too dry. It's hard not to take too hot of a shower this time of year, b/c a hot shower just feels heavenly.....but that hot shower will dry the skin once you dry off. I have soft water, but I still have to watch that I don't take too long or too hot of a shower. Being dehydrated puts your body at a disadvantage against viruses and bacteria.

@Cnsper yes if only everyone else stayed home or isolated themselves when they were sick it would be nice. We have a lot of church members who come to church each week with pneumonia, flus and colds and don't think twice about it, it is really inconsiderate in my opinion of everyone else around them.

@angie_nrs yes good old soap and water and regular hand washing stops you getting a lot of bugs.

Like Mrs @Sentry18 we take vitamin c, Echinacea and zinc as well as throw as much fresh produce into us as possible including fresh orange juice if we are sick.

One of my pet peeves is people waiting until they are sick to go to the pharmacy to load up on vitamins, medications and cough drops etc. - exposing everone else to their illness. I load up on stuff BEFORE I am sick so that I don't have to go out.

I've learned if you want to stay healthy, stay away from children. I've never been as sick as when I worked in a children's education museum. I think I had a cold for six months straight.

That is the exact reason I've been home for days. I WILL NOT go out when I'm sick unless I have absolutely no choice.
Airborne is first on my list if I've been around anyone sick or even in an environment that can have sick people. Hospitals, malls etc.
Everyone I know who's been sick like me has had it 10 fold. I feel the vitamins, extra vit c and airborne is what has kept this under control.

I don't know how I have gotten by without getting sick for more than 9 months. A little sniffle here and there. I think I'm getting something, then wake up next day okay. I take over the counter sudafed once in a while, have been exercising lightly, staying busy, lifting weights, and I rarely eat beef, pork, eggs or dairy. I've cut most flour products out of my diet as well. This last part with the food is because I get sick in other ways if I do eat beef, pork, eggs or dairy, so don't take it personally.
Every day I encounter a lot of people with my employment and it includes all walks of life and children! I think it might be increasing my immunity. lol
My co-workers have ALL been sick over the past two months and I haven't had it yet. It helps to not congregate in small groups to gossip. BAHAHA

I have worked with children all of my life, and parents do send them sick and doped up on tylenol so by noon their fever is back. But I don't get hit too often with the muck they have because I've been exposed too much. I like alka seltzer. Three times a day when I feel like something is coming on. Our daughter is in Pharmacy school, and also works at Walgreens Pharmacy. She has been trying out my essential oil and tea remedies. Even the Amish elixer a cousin made. People come in for their RX hacking and spreading germs all over the place. She left for work today and asked what smell she was wearing. Had to laugh when she said Thieves Oil. (A Young Living brand that protects you against illness).

DoTerra has a version of it, too.
My cousins oil their feet. And always fussy babies feet with lavender.
My cousin Lydia puts the Thieves Oil in a spray bottle (dilutes it) and sprays the seats where she is about to sit when traveling. Like the train. She swears by it. Have you heard the Thieves Oil backstory? Used by graverobbers so they wouldn't get sick when robbing graves.

It's a month later and the flu is still making the rounds.
Great suggestions here. The thieves oil blend is a swear-by for a lot of people, even though it is expensive. I guess you can make your own but those little bottles of oil are expensive too when bought individually.
I had something a couple weeks ago but it wasn't the flu. Just a wimpy virus, very tired, little headaches. I still haven't gotten it.

I can't tell you why but it has been decades since I was sick with anything. I don't take the flu shots because it is a crap shoot as to which flu is going to be bad. The different flu viruses evolve so quickly that there is a chance that even the correct inoculation may not work. I don't exercise a great deal and I am a smoker but I am 67 years old and my body has always been good at repairing itself (even my "life long" back injury is getting better). I do get a fair amount of sleep most nights and I enjoy living my life. I set goals and work to achieve them but other than that I don't take vitamins or supplements and only eat 1 or 2 meals a day. So why don't I get sick? I suppose I don't have time for it. I have too much that I want to do to bother with getting sick. I spent years having migraines and hating them because they made it impossible for me to enjoy my life but since I stopped having them I get to do anything I want to when I want to do it. Now that my bake is finally getting stronger I am looking forward to going out onmy son's boat and maybe even taking my canoe out for some fishing this summer. Life is good!

I get run down sometimes and when that happens, I slow down for a bit until I am ok again. Very rarely get sick because I do slow down and rest . At least that is what I am going with! I have had the flu bad twice in my life. I do try to stay away from people when it is going around now that I can do so.

Have y'all heard of "Black Seed Oil"? My sister told me about it a couple months ago and the benefits it has shown her.

I started taking it and I don't know if I've realized all the benefits since I don't suffer from the things it's known to help but can say I haven't been sick and in general, feel better.

It's known to have been around and in use for thousands of years. Different sources list different benefits (especially if they're trying to sell the stuff) but almost all say it's good for asthma, diabetes, hypertension, immune system, blood pressure, eczema, allergies, arthritis...

I take a 500mg tablet daily.

I've been around little ones all of my life (because it's my job) and I'll tell you that I have seen a few lick a doorknob.
I don't get sick much, either, but when I do, it usually will land me in bed for a few days.
I'm guilty of doing too much and getting run down. Then I need a few days of putzing around slowly. I am guilty of that this week...too long of work days, then home for hours of chores. But sometimes it can't be helped.

Have y'all heard of "Black Seed Oil"?

Black seed oil is from a plant named "Nigella sativa", also called "Black Cumin". It's an ancient medicine and food. A healthy diet is important to staying healthy. Many of the spices we use became part of our diets because they are medicinal. Thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, cumin and garlic are all medicinal plants.

wow. This thread was started Dec 30th and it's still relevant today, Feb 9th.:eek:

Chicken soup and watered downed OJ is my go to favorites when i'm sick, but not at the same time. :)

I've been very fortunate this season not to have been sick, but I've been very cautious also.

I don’t get sick often, either. I think it’s because I work in a hospital laboratory and have been around infectious samples my whole adult life I have a very strong immune system.

I think it keeps your immune system in good shape, me being a germ fanatic I have to be careful since mine may be lazy .

Is there a recipe to make it at home?
I’m sure there is and I will try to find it. A business acquaintance told me she saw the formula, wrote it down. Later, a specific ingredient (oil) was no longer listed as an ingredient so it remained a mystery why everyone else’s didn’t work quite as well. I think it was grapefruit seed extract or oil, and I’ll have to track down the other ingredients. You can probably find it online too. That was more than 15 years ago and I have no idea whatever happened to the woman that told me this. I don’t remember her name.

Mountain Rose Herbs had posted this recipe for forty thieves oil:
  1. 40 drops clove bud essential oil.
  2. 35 drops lemon essential.
  3. 20 drops cinnamon bark essential oil.
  4. 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil.
  5. 10 drops rosemary essential oil.
Jul 31, 2019
Apparently one should mix one drop of the mixed solution with 4 drops of high quality olive oil, and go on from there. As you know, if you're using the bottles the oils are sold in, the drops can come out pretty fast. Don't forget about the grapefruit seed extract.
Using garlic oil in the mix might help also but I don't think anyone would want to sit with you at lunch time. ;)

Back