primary shopping list

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i Figured this might be of help to others here.especially the beginners and folks on a tight budget as i am.

i normally don't start my shopping list for the next month untill the 20th of the month before if i figure right..but because of 1 item i thought of, i sarted it today .i use a shopping app called out of milk,for each buiesness that i shop at.in which that includes a category/folder for each buiesness .im also able to include aisle number/letter for each item.and the price as well.and to top it off.im able to put the items in the correct order where i can start at the back of the store.and im done shopping by the time i get to the front.but only if all goes well and right.this not only helps me get in and out of there quickly. but it helps me save money at the same time.i learned later on that i can keep track of what's needed n not needed some what at the same time.i not only get to add/delete item's when i need to.im saving pen n paper for other things.the app has helped me get stocked up on items when needed.while leaving items alone that ain't needed at the same time.as i mentioned at tha begining.im on a tight budget.this app has helped me stay on budget and it still allows me to get stocked up on the different foods i eat each month.i now have 3 to 6 months of food or longer because of this.

Had no idea there was such an app. Sounds handy. I just keep an ongoing list in “notes” and erase things as I get them. Then what I don’t get ends up at the top. Right now, I’ve been out of mailing tape for at least a month so it’s the first thing I see. One of these days I’ll go to a store that carries such things. (I don’t like shopping so tend to put it off.)

Had no idea there was such an app. Sounds handy. I just keep an ongoing list in “notes” and erase things as I get them. Then what I don’t get ends up at the top. Right now, I’ve been out of mailing tape for at least a month so it’s the first thing I see. One of these days I’ll go to a store that carries such things. (I don’t like shopping so tend to put it off.)
I sell used books online and buy mailing tape in a 6 or 8 pack a couple times a year. It is most interesting to me how many people go to the post office to mail packages that are not wrapped and expect that the post office will provide tape. The post offices used to keep their tape out by one of their tables, but it has been moved back behind the counter now.

oh yeah.i forgot to mention.the app has a shopping history list.everything that has been put onto a list.goes there.you start typing in whats needed.a drop down window shows up.said item will be there.tap on that.it automatically goes into the list..having the app has saved me some headache's. on account I can't always read my writing.. :D

@Weedygarden. I try to have things ready so I'm not in any store or PO any longer than necessary. I don't mail many packages and I don't browse in grocery stores. I'm so narrow minded that way :p Not places I like to spend time "hanging out.":D Now an estate sale is another story all together - but we won't go there.

@Weedygarden. I try to have things ready so I'm not in any store or PO any longer than necessary. I don't mail many packages and I don't browse in grocery stores. I'm so narrow minded that way :p Not places I like to spend time "hanging out.":D Now an estate sale is another story all together - but we won't go there.

Amen to that! I am not a browser either. I make my list, and go after what is on the list and get out asap. I have a good friend who is the complete opposite of that. She goes into a store and looks at things and can hold a bobble or something for 5 minutes, looking at it. I often wonder what she is thinking, or is she even thinking? I cannot stand still in one place for very long due to hurting my back when I was in college. If I do stand in one place for a period of time, I may need to crawl out.

I wrap all my packages at home. I created a wrapping station so that everything I need is all at the desk.

I am an observer of people and behaviors. I can quietly be very entertained by people and their behaviors without them realizing how entertained I am!

For groceries we have a perpetual shopping list we put in display folder plastic sleeves put on with magnets on the fridge. As we use something we mark 1 on the list with permanent marker and this gives me a basis for my monthly grocery shop without having to think or do stocktakes. When we go grocery shopping I wipe off what was purchased off the perpetual shopping list with methylated spirits and start again. For us this is a good way to keep a track of things and it saves time.

Not everything on the list will be purchased at once and we quite often wait for 50% off specials to come up and buy multiples then because we have a good stock.

With the post office as we also sell online regularly we have a packaging station with a heat sealer, plastic, envelopes, stamps, parcel height measuring template so we know how much letters will cost to post and tape too. Then when an order comes through we just package it and pop it in the post box or over the counter at the post office. Being a little country town there is rarely many people in the post office at any given time.

@Amish Heart likewise here and having just moved here we are finding the days and times for when the local small country supermarkets mark down their meats and things which is usually on a Tuesday we found. The clearance section in the meat is right through the meat cabinets here and they just put reduced stickers on them and they also all have a clearance section for dairy which is separate and these aren't advertised either.

We have a $20 per fortnight pantry building allowance and if we can get our $240 for $200 vouchers at our larger supermarket on eBay we use the extra $40 per month for building our food storage with too. Our shopping list is usually based on specials from online sales brochures (no street mail deliveries here), clearances we can get and staples which never come on special here.

I use a list based on the sale flyers. Also, I know where the clearance section is in three of the grocery stores I might frequent.
I do this as well. I go through the flyers and make my shopping list based on what is on sale. I also visit the clearance bins when I visit grocery stores. I have gotten many items for my first aid kit from clearance bins. One problem with that is that sometimes I find products that I really like, it is often no longer available and really difficult to find.

Are any of these apps not selling your information?
We use a shopping list that we made up ourselves. It stays on the fridge so we can mark things as we use them.
I save them for the year to see what we are spending money on and how we can do better.

Are any of these apps not selling your information?
We use a shopping list that we made up ourselves. It stays on the fridge so we can mark things as we use them.
I save them for the year to see what we are spending money on and how we can do better.
I can see how this app works for people. My concern is that it will use up too much memory on my phone. I write my grocery list on notes app, but also have scads of note pads that I use for making notes. I try to make a number of errands in one outing: hardware store, grocery store, post office, fabric store, thrift store, Dollar Tree.

I am always trying to remove stuff from my phone as I have too much memory used up. I am always taking photos and making videos of dogs for clients to see. I recently removed a few 100 photos to free up memory.

1552657326043.jpg
the out of milk app will. allow you to remove/delete the notes app.

Latest posts

Back